Cannot backup pst file

When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the file
because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is closed
when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
--
Jim
0

Correction. Outlook is not closed. Something is keeping it open. Look in
Task Manager if you don't believe me. Recall the things that keep Outlook
from exiting completely:
1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
2.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
3.  COM Add-ins.
4.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background
to check for new mail and fire reminders.
5.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and outgoing
mail.
6. Windows Search has not finished indexing your data file.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
> message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the
> file
> because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is
> closed
> when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
> --
> Jim

0
russval1 (2100)
2/4/2009 1:34:15 AM
Perhaps you have a desktop search, or some other third party tool accessing
the data file

"Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
> message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the
> file
> because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is
> closed
> when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
> --
> Jim

0
DL
2/4/2009 2:38:42 AM
Thanks.  I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
Outlook.exe.  Should I click on "end process"?

I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for same.
Don't have Franklin Covey.

I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.

Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ... not
sure what that is.  Also don't know how to determine if I have COM add-ins.

Thanks for your help!
--
Jim

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Correction. Outlook is not closed. Something is keeping it open. Look in
> Task Manager if you don't believe me. Recall the things that keep Outlook
> from exiting completely:
> 1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
> 2.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
> 3.  COM Add-ins.
> 4.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background
> to check for new mail and fire reminders.
> 5.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and outgoing
> mail.
> 6. Windows Search has not finished indexing your data file.
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
> > message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the
> > file
> > because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is
> > closed
> > when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
> > --
> > Jim

0
JimLeming (4)
2/4/2009 3:40:01 AM
DL - thanks for your reply.  I had said it didn't help, but actually now
realize that your answer was the same as the earlier one from RV.  I just
need more specifics as I'm a novice.  Thanks ..
--
Jim

"DL" wrote:

> Perhaps you have a desktop search, or some other third party tool accessing
> the data file
>
> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
> > message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the
> > file
> > because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is
> > closed
> > when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
> > --
> > Jim

0
JimLeming (4)
2/4/2009 3:42:01 AM
You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
--
> Thanks.  I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
> Outlook.exe.  Should I click on "end process"?
>
> I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for same.
> Don't have Franklin Covey.
>
> I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.
>
> Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ... not
> sure what that is.  Also don't know how to determine if I have COM
> add-ins.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> --
> Jim
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Correction. Outlook is not closed. Something is keeping it open. Look in
>> Task Manager if you don't believe me. Recall the things that keep Outlook
>> from exiting completely:
>> 1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
>> 2.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
>> 3.  COM Add-ins.
>> 4.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the
>> background
>> to check for new mail and fire reminders.
>> 5.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and
>> outgoing
>> mail.
>> 6. Windows Search has not finished indexing your data file.
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
>> > message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the
>> > file
>> > because another process has locked a portion of the file."  Outlook is
>> > closed
>> > when this happens.  How can I remedy this?  Thanks for your helpo.
>> > --
>> > Jim

0
russval1 (2100)
2/4/2009 10:55:31 AM
Thanks Russ.  I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot copy
the .pst file.  Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program and
turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the Task Mgr
to see if Outlook was still running.  It was not listed in the "applications"
tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).

The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.

Thanks so much for your help.  Jim
--
Jim

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
> How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks.  I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
> > Outlook.exe.  Should I click on "end process"?
> >
> > I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for same.
> > Don't have Franklin Covey.
> >
> > I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.
> >
> > Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ... not
> > sure what that is.  Also don't know how to determine if I have COM
> > add-ins.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Correction. Outlook is not closed. Something is keeping it open. Look in
> >> Task Manager if you don't believe me. Recall the things that keep Outlook
> >> from exiting completely:
> >> 1.  PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
> >> 2.  Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
> >> 3.  COM Add-ins.
> >> 4.  Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the
> >> background
> >> to check for new mail and fire reminders.
> >> 5.  Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and
> >> outgoing
> >> mail.
> >> 6. Windows Search has not finished indexing your data file.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
JimLeming (4)
2/4/2009 4:51:01 PM
Turning off Norton won't help. You need to remove all integration with
Outlook by uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it without any
Outlook integration or email scanning enabled.
You'll find your Add-ins listed in Tools > Trust Center... > Add-ins
--
> Thanks Russ.  I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot
> copy
> the .pst file.  Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program
> and
> turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the Task
> Mgr
> to see if Outlook was still running.  It was not listed in the
> "applications"
> tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).
>
> The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.
>
> Thanks so much for your help.  Jim
> --
> Jim
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
>> How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks.  I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
>> > Outlook.exe.  Should I click on "end process"?
>> >
>> > I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for
>> > same.
>> > Don't have Franklin Covey.
>> >
>> > I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.
>> >
>> > Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ...
>> > not
>> > sure what that is.  Also don't know how to determine if I have COM
>> > add-ins.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> > --
>> > Jim

0
russval1 (2100)
2/4/2009 9:12:42 PM
If Outlook is fully closed, it will not be shown in the Task Mgr "processes"
tab. You should try to end the process, forcing it to close properly and see
if you can copy the "pst" file then. Having it not listed in the
"applications" tab but listed in the "processes" tab is what you get when
Outlook is just minimized and hidden.

Mike Bernstein

"Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Russ.  I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot
> copy
> the .pst file.  Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program
> and
> turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the Task
> Mgr
> to see if Outlook was still running.  It was not listed in the
> "applications"
> tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).
>
> The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.
>
> Thanks so much for your help.  Jim
> --
> Jim
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
>> How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks.  I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
>> > Outlook.exe.  Should I click on "end process"?
>> >
>> > I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for
>> > same.
>> > Don't have Franklin Covey.
>> >
>> > I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.
>> >
>> > Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ...
>> > not
>> > sure what that is.  Also don't know how to determine if I have COM
>> > add-ins.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> > --
>> > Jim

0
mkmike (4)
2/5/2009 10:59:16 AM
That's axiomatic. But if he doesn't figure out what's keeping Outlook from
closing, the problem will persist.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Michael Bernstein" <mkmike@community.nospam> wrote in message
> If Outlook is fully closed, it will not be shown in the Task Mgr
> "processes" tab. You should try to end the process, forcing it to close
> properly and see if you can copy the "pst" file then. Having it not listed
> in the "applications" tab but listed in the "processes" tab is what you
> get when Outlook is just minimized and hidden.
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Russ.  I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot
>> copy
>> the .pst file.  Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program
>> and
>> turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the Task
>> Mgr
>> to see if Outlook was still running.  It was not listed in the
>> "applications"
>> tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).
>>
>> The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.
>>
>> Thanks so much for your help.  Jim
>> --
>> Jim
>>

>> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>>
>>> You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
>>> How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
>>> --
>>> Russ Valentine
>>> [MVP-Outlook]
>>> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
russval1 (2100)
2/5/2009 11:48:01 AM
Yes, I agree but the OP asked about ending the process twice and did not get
an answer. He was clearly uncertain about doing that. Also, it would enable
the OP to undertake his backup and having to do that one thing before each
backup would not be ideal but would at least be useable.

There used to be an Outlook addin that forced Outlook to close properly but
I cannot remember its name or source.

Mike Bernstein

> That's axiomatic. But if he doesn't figure out what's keeping Outlook from
> closing, the problem will persist.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Michael Bernstein" <mkmike@community.nospam> wrote in message
>> If Outlook is fully closed, it will not be shown in the Task Mgr
>> "processes" tab. You should try to end the process, forcing it to close
>> properly and see if you can copy the "pst" file then. Having it not
>> listed in the "applications" tab but listed in the "processes" tab is
>> what you get when Outlook is just minimized and hidden.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Jim Leming" <JimLeming@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Russ.  I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot
>>> copy
>>> the .pst file.  Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program
>>> and
>>> turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the
>>> Task Mgr
>>> to see if Outlook was still running.  It was not listed in the
>>> "applications"
>>> tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).
>>>
>>> The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for your help.  Jim
>>> --
>>> Jim

0
mkmike (4)

Knockout.  http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16052)
2/5/2009 12:29:32 PM
Actually, I was thinking of:

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/olshutdown/index.shtml

Mike Bernstein

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Bernstein" <mkmike@community.nospam> wrote in message
>
>> There used to be an Outlook addin that forced Outlook to close properly
>> but I cannot remember its name or source.
>
> Knockout.  http://sunflowerhead.com/software/knockout/
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
mkmike (4)

How do attachments fill PST file?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9013C.121CC270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do attachments fill PST file? Office 2007 If I understand correctly, Outlook stores email attachments in the PST = file. I receive numerous good size email attachments. It would seem that = this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In Eudora, the = attachments are placed as individual files in a directory. Does Outlook compress the attachments in the PST file? Is there a way to see what att...

Save publisher 2000 file as pdf?
I have created a flyer with logos in my publisher 2000. How can I save or convert it to PDF? Is my program too old to do that? Thanks! Several in this news group speak highly of Primopdf, a free program that will create a pdf file from any program. It installs as a printer and when you have the Publisher file open, select File, Print and then from the printer drop down menu, select PrimoPDF and it makes a copy of you Publisher file to a PDF file. www.primopdf.com I'm guessing you have a pdf reader/viewer. If not, a new excellent viewer is PDF Viewer by Tracker Software. http:...

Circular logging Log files full
I have an issue with the logs files filled up and out of drive space because our backup is not running complete right now. I have one of our guys working on getting the backup running but in the mean time i have turned on Circular logging on our front end server. The problem is i am now receiving email from the outside. But i cannot send out and the Queu's are getting filled up and not kicking anything through to the outside world. How do i get the Queue to start kicking out. We are running Exchange 2003 with SP2 and have one front end server and 2 clustered inside and 4 other not c...

Can you retrieve-If you DELETE the file 'Inbox' from the Recycle bin on desktop
I was trying to delete some files that involved several pop-up banner ads & windows from interfering with my search for telecommuting jobs. While clicking around on the internet, somehow this SPYWARE program began to write itself on to my hard drive, so I went into Windows Explorer to FIND FILES or FOLDERS to find it & DELETE whatever was associated with it! Well, in the process, I ended up sending these files to the RECYCLE BIN on my desktop to get rid of them. However, in the process of DELETING them, I also deleted a file 'Inbox' that I thought was part of the p...

Can No Longer Save File
Greetings, I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I use Publisher for all my marketing & advertising). I've used this particular file for a couple years. However, it has grown to the size of 276 MB. I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more. I tried saving it onto a CD but that failed too. I've tried closing all other applications but the file in question & its still no use. Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz RAM 256 MB Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB I've posted in the Wind...

Problems with IE8 and .js files
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and IE 8 (8.0.7600.16385). Had been working with IE8 on Vista Enterprise for some time with no problem. Installed Windows 7 and after a few weeks now I am experiencing problems with some pages that use Javascript. I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything was ok, after a few hours problem is back. Seems like an update is messing up things. I get messages like: 'objName' is not null or not an object. or Object doesn't support this property or method. I have tried using compatibility view and no luck. Any comment or suggestion will be hi...

Transferring a file
Hi, I want to transfer a file generated from great plains to a FTP server ,i don't know how to acess a FTP through dexterity . please advice Thanks in advance Interesting scenario... I think I'd look at finding a COM object/library or ..Net assembly that could do the communicating, and use that. Haven't needed something like that, but I'm sure they're out there. If not, I guess you could roll your own, if you know another programming language as well. There's on-line help and manuals on talking to external libraries. The fun will be getting that extern...

stm file size is problem..
I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i reduce this file size ? Please, help me. Hi Jan, "jan" <jan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96EBE861-3FFC-46EA-AD26-2D23A5542441@microsoft.com... >I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and > exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i > reduce this file size ? Please, help me. You can use eseutil to make an offline defrag. Howev...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Executing specific files at a certain time of the day.
Do you know of any software that can be programmed to launch certain files at certain times of the day? For example: At 9:00am it will execute 900am.exe and at 9:30am it will execute 930am.exe and so on. I am looking for any software or custom program that can launch any file I choose at the time that I choose. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, Mike You can use scheduled tasks, which is provided by windows, on the control panel. "Mike Smith" <mike@wn2000.com> wrote in message news:4c5e01c34176$935455f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Do you know of any softwa...

VBA: Open Most Current File In Specified Folder
I'm setting up a module that will grab a specific .xls and organize it for production as well as load the information into Crystal for archiving. In the past, I have always directed the user to save the .xls as "AnyFileName" in a specific folder and the module would pick it up at a scheduled time. This has me relying on the user to not make any mistakes in naming the file. Is there a produre in VBA that will open the most current file in a specified folder? The macro below should work OK. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub FindNewestFile() With Application.FileSearch '// ...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Populate a .eml file
Is it possible to use mail merge in a .eml file using outlook? By this I mean, could I have outlook 1.Automatically email, say, ten different addresses, unattended by me and 2. Populate fields within the body of the email, based on a database or excel spreadsheet? Thanks, Ike It sounds like you are talking about a mail merge, and no, you cannot run one unattended. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and f...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

App_hang on splitting E-file transaction
OS: Vista 64bit I keep getting an app_hang when I try to split a downloaded transaction into 2 other split transactions. Specifically, the 2 splits are loan payments (hence split into interest + principal) written on a single check. Whenever I go to change the downloaded cleared check to reference the 2 seperate loan payments, the application hangs. When I re-start money the transaction keeps getting downloaded again and then hangs the app again when I try to split. You should fix that :P ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the sugges...

File I/O in Document/View architecture
Hello. I'm trying to make a program that reads from a large file as needed, putting data into structs then displaying the struct contents. When I look at examples of File I/O, I have a problem. Where should the I/O go? To me, it makes sense to have the document handle anything relating to file input, including a call to a CFileDialog class. This works fine for me, but is it good practice to do that in the document rather than the view? I would not put File I/O(which changes the document) in a view. What issues do you see if this is in the document? Document seems to be the correct place...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

opening files error
For some reason, none of my Excel 2003 files will open when I double-click them from a folder or desktop shortcut - the only way I can open a file is to start Excel, click open and browse for the file I want. As a side note, I was recently attempting to get my workbooks to open in separate windows as opposed to multiple files open under the same heading - i.e. I wanted each file to have it's own toolabar, etc. After reading several discussion posts, I tried clicking Tools>Options>View>checking "Windows in Taskbar" and Tools>Options>General>checki...

PST Issue
Good Day, We are running Office 2003 with exchange 2003 sp1. Because of issues that we are having with our exchange database and backing up. It was decided to off load older files to PST that is on a network drive. They can access the pst files via the network and move email with large attachments there. Out of the blue a user called up saying that he lost some folders in the PST I looked at it and assume that perhaps he deleted them without realizing it. (I did a recovery that was 6 months old and the files were still not there). I scratched this one up as user error. In the next ...

Publisher 2007
We just upgraded to Office 2007. In my old version of Publisher (2003), the print settings I had assigned to each file were retained in that file--very handy in Publisher as some of the print settings can get complex at times. I print to a variety of different printers and have different settings for print jobs going to each. It appears as if this feature is no longer present. Is this true or is there some way to retain them? Setting manually can get time-consuming. Any suggestions? -- -Sharon. I'm replying to my own post here, but I found the solution! In Publisher 2007, rather t...

Can't restore .pst files in Outlook 2007/Windows XP
Help! My hard drive crashed last week and I have had another installed. I had backed up all my data on my clickfree automatic backup and have managed to restore my pictures and documents, but am having problems doing so with my e-mails and address book. I have the .pst files on my PC but can't access them because I get an error message when I try to open them saying "You are attempting to open a file of type Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders (.pst) These fles are used by the operating system and by various programmes. Editing or modifying them could damage y...