Can't see photos in email text box unless I open the attachment

Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box, whether
I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to open each photo
separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me how to change the view
in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to view photos when I open, or
compose an email with digital photo attachments. Thank you.

hooklinesinka <hooklinesinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box,
> whether I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to
> open each photo separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me
> how to change the view in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to
> view photos when I open, or compose an email with digital photo
> attachments.

Attachments in Outlook are never displayed unless you open them.  Embedded
images, however, will appear in the body of the message, but that's a
process only the sender can do.  In other words, there is no option in
Outlook to make it behave like Outlook Express and show attachments in line.

To compose a message with images in line, you must use Word, compose in HTML
and use Insert>Picture to embed the image in the message.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
2/2/2006 7:02:08 PM
I receive e-mails in HTML format with photos in-line; i.e., intermixed with
text.  In Outlook Express the photos show up correctly but in Outlook they
are listed as attachments and I have to click on each one individually to
view it.  It's not 100% of the time -- seems that this behavior depends on
the number of photos attached.

Is there an option that controls this?

RockClimber <RockClimber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I receive e-mails in HTML format with photos in-line; i.e.,
> intermixed with text.  In Outlook Express the photos show up
> correctly but in Outlook they are listed as attachments and I have to
> click on each one individually to view it.

That means they were not included in line but in actuality were attachments.

> It's not 100% of the time
> -- seems that this behavior depends on the number of photos attached.

Not as far as I know.  It has to do with how the sender included them.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
5/23/2006 5:27:27 PM
if they were added to plain text emails, oe is displaying them inline - that
is a feature outlook lacks.
http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/inline.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"RockClimber" <RockClimber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I receive e-mails in HTML format with photos in-line; i.e., intermixed with
> text.  In Outlook Express the photos show up correctly but in Outlook they
> are listed as attachments and I have to click on each one individually to
> view it.  It's not 100% of the time -- seems that this behavior depends on
> the number of photos attached.
>
> Is there an option that controls this?
>

> "Brian Tillman" wrote:
>
>> hooklinesinka <hooklinesinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box,
>> > whether I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to
>> > open each photo separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me
>> > how to change the view in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to
>> > view photos when I open, or compose an email with digital photo
>> > attachments.
>>
>> Attachments in Outlook are never displayed unless you open them.
>> Embedded
>> images, however, will appear in the body of the message, but that's a
>> process only the sender can do.  In other words, there is no option in
>> Outlook to make it behave like Outlook Express and show attachments in
>> line.
>>
>> To compose a message with images in line, you must use Word, compose in
>> HTML
>> and use Insert>Picture to embed the image in the message.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman

0
outlookmvp (5838)
5/24/2006 12:09:57 AM
Hello Diane

Could I ask a question related to the sending of photo attachments in
Outlook 2003.

My aunty checks her emails from the Pacific Islands and can't open jpeg
files (family photos) I send to her as attachments. I use my Yahoo email
account to send the emails. She says when she clicks to open the attachments
(photos), text files appear. It's like opening a word document with all the
text/maths symbols. She uses Outlook 2003 as her email program.

I've searched the web for answers but haven't found an answer specific to
this query.

Could you offer some advice please?

Thanks,
Febs (Brisbane, Australia)

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> if they were added to plain text emails, oe is displaying them inline - that
> is a feature outlook lacks.
> http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/inline.htm
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "RockClimber" <RockClimber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I receive e-mails in HTML format with photos in-line; i.e., intermixed with
> > text.  In Outlook Express the photos show up correctly but in Outlook they
> > are listed as attachments and I have to click on each one individually to
> > view it.  It's not 100% of the time -- seems that this behavior depends on
> > the number of photos attached.
> >
> > Is there an option that controls this?

> >> Attachments in Outlook are never displayed unless you open them.
> >> Embedded
> >> images, however, will appear in the body of the message, but that's a
> >> process only the sender can do.  In other words, there is no option in
> >> Outlook to make it behave like Outlook Express and show attachments in
> >> line.
> >>
> >> To compose a message with images in line, you must use Word, compose in
> >> HTML
> >> and use Insert>Picture to embed the image in the message.
> >> --
> >> Brian Tillman

0
Febs (2)
6/28/2006 1:00:02 PM
since it's opening as text, it sounds like it could either be an encoding
issue or the image files are set to open in notepad. If it's the encoding,
you need to change it on your end. Try zipping the images and sending her
the zip - does she still have the text files?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Febs" <Febs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Diane
>
> Could I ask a question related to the sending of photo attachments in
> Outlook 2003.
>
> My aunty checks her emails from the Pacific Islands and can't open jpeg
> files (family photos) I send to her as attachments. I use my Yahoo email
> account to send the emails. She says when she clicks to open the
> attachments
> (photos), text files appear. It's like opening a word document with all
> the
> text/maths symbols. She uses Outlook 2003 as her email program.
>
> I've searched the web for answers but haven't found an answer specific to
> this query.
>
> Could you offer some advice please?
>
> Thanks,
> Febs (Brisbane, Australia)
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> if they were added to plain text emails, oe is displaying them inline -
>> that
>> is a feature outlook lacks.
>> http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/inline.htm
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> "RockClimber" <RockClimber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I receive e-mails in HTML format with photos in-line; i.e., intermixed
>> >with
>> > text.  In Outlook Express the photos show up correctly but in Outlook
>> > they
>> > are listed as attachments and I have to click on each one individually
>> > view it.  It's not 100% of the time -- seems that this behavior depends
>> > on
>> > the number of photos attached.
>> >
>> > Is there an option that controls this?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/28/2006 5:09:40 PM
Thank you Diane,

What does 'encoding' mean? I compose my emails using plain text instead of
HTML Do I need to change it to HTML? I'll ask my aunty to check if the image
files are opened in Notepad & check if she has the text files.

Thanks for your time.
Febs

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> since it's opening as text, it sounds like it could either be an encoding
> issue or the image files are set to open in notepad. If it's the encoding,
> you need to change it on your end. Try zipping the images and sending her
> the zip - does she still have the text files?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> "Febs" <Febs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Diane
> >
> > Could I ask a question related to the sending of photo attachments in
> > Outlook 2003.
> >
> > My aunty checks her emails from the Pacific Islands and can't open jpeg
> > files (family photos) I send to her as attachments. I use my Yahoo email
> > account to send the emails. She says when she clicks to open the
> > attachments
> > (photos), text files appear. It's like opening a word document with all
> > the
> > text/maths symbols. She uses Outlook 2003 as her email program.
> >
> > I've searched the web for answers but haven't found an answer specific to
> > this query.
> >
> > Could you offer some advice please?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Febs (Brisbane, Australia)
> >
> > "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> if they were added to plain text emails, oe is displaying them inline -
> >> that
> >> is a feature outlook lacks.
> >> http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/inline.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> >> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> >> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
> >> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> >>
> >> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> >> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> >> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> >> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >>

> >> "RockClimber" <RockClimber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Febs (2)
7/3/2006 12:06:02 PM
Hi Brianm

I too have the same question.  So basically if my sister in Hawaii send me
photos as attachments (she has a Mac), I'm going to have to click each one
open, right?  There aren't any preferences in Outlook that I can set to
receive .jpgs or .gifs already open and displayed in the email?

Thanks.  My email is denisesantangelo99@hotmail.com

Denise

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> hooklinesinka <hooklinesinka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box,
> > whether I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to
> > open each photo separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me
> > how to change the view in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to
> > view photos when I open, or compose an email with digital photo
> > attachments.
>
> Attachments in Outlook are never displayed unless you open them.  Embedded
> images, however, will appear in the body of the message, but that's a
> process only the sender can do.  In other words, there is no option in
> Outlook to make it behave like Outlook Express and show attachments in line.
>
> To compose a message with images in line, you must use Word, compose in HTML
> and use Insert>Picture to embed the image in the message.
> --
> Brian Tillman

Only if the mail is in HTML format.

There are some third-party addins, though:
http://www.slipstick.com/mail1/inline.asp

"MusicChick2" <MusicChick2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brianm
>
> I too have the same question.  So basically if my sister in Hawaii send me
> photos as attachments (she has a Mac), I'm going to have to click each one
> open, right?  There aren't any preferences in Outlook that I can set to
> receive .jpgs or .gifs already open and displayed in the email?

0
vince8328 (2733)
7/24/2007 6:56:52 PM
MusicChick2 <MusicChick2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I too have the same question.  So basically if my sister in Hawaii
> send me photos as attachments (she has a Mac), I'm going to have to
> click each one open, right?

That's correct.

> There aren't any preferences in Outlook
> that I can set to receive .jpgs or .gifs already open and displayed
> in the email?

No.  If the image is attached, it will display as an attachment.  If it's
embedded, you see it in the open message.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16051)
7/24/2007 8:24:26 PM
when you find out please share with us!

"hooklinesinka" wrote:

> Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box, whether
> I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to open each photo
> separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me how to change the view
> in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to view photos when I open, or
> compose an email with digital photo attachments. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Microsoft intends to fix the picture/image/midi file
problems in the latest software?   It's a major hassle to try to view some
messages unlike OE2003.  Improvements & updates shouldn't take us backwards.
OE2003 may be the only solution at this point!  It appears to be a major
oversight.

"Pattycake1961" wrote:

> when you find out please share with us!
>
> "hooklinesinka" wrote:
>
> > Hi. As a new XP Pro user, I am unable to view photos in the text box, whether
> > I'm sending or receiving them. This results in my having to open each photo
> > separately to view them. Could someone kindly tell me how to change the view
> > in Microsoft Office Outlook to enable me to view photos when I open, or
> > compose an email with digital photo attachments. Thank you.

data input in text box

Planned Open Market Days

Opening Excel Workbooks

hyperlinking email addresses

Message comes as an attachment

Outlook 2003

Fading photo/picture edges
Hello, i was wondering if it was possible to fade the edges of a picture or a photo into the background - so that the image would appear to be seemless on the document, i understand that there is fade, grey scale, transparent pen and a few other options but not just fading out the edges. is there an option to do this? thanks for your time. Patch. Is it just me? I do my photo editing outside of Publisher and then insert it into my document. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Patch" <Patch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B94BA538-329A-4B6...

Incoming email slow to come in

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

opening .bak file

Sum column values that contains text &/or dates
Column D3 thru D43 contain a mixture of values & dates. For example: D3 = 16,026.76 D4 = 11-18-05 D5 = blank D6 = 6,855.34 D7= 11-03-05 D8 = blank D9 = 5,270.00 D10 = 11-02-05 Need sum to equal 28,152.10 (total only values from entry or formulas) Thanks so much. mikeburg -- mikeburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mikeburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24581 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489114 If your dates are text strings which say "11-18-05"...

Text of a RecordSource
Hi, ich have a Report with a recordsource. the source is a query. when call the function Me.RecordSource, i get the queryname. is there a possibility to get the text of this query ?? And how ?? thx a lot Martin Martin wrote: > Hi, > > ich have a Report with a recordsource. > the source is a query. > > when call the function Me.RecordSource, i get the queryname. > is there a possibility to get the text of this query ?? > And how ?? > > > thx a lot > Martin CurrentDB.QueryDefs("QueryName").sql -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as...

Is there a way to schedule a email to send out at a certain time?
I tried delay the mail, but the sent hour is not right. For example, the email should go out at 8am, but the sent time is 5:30pm which should be 8am also. Please help! "Grace" <Grace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1395D87B-2982-4800-8522-165781125E6A@microsoft.com... >I tried delay the mail, but the sent hour is not right. > For example, the email should go out at 8am, but the sent time is 5:30pm > which should be 8am also. Please help! The Sent time and the delivery time are completely separate. The Sent time that people will see w...

Money 2004 Not Seeing Retirement Accounts
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C4D7F2.ED9FD930 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have MS$ 2004 Deluxe and have set up multiple retirement accounts to = track. I initially set up the accounts under the Account List setup = wizard. I went through the process of setting up the retirement accounts = (selecting that it is a retirement account, 401k/403b, setting up the = funds in the account, etc.). Later on I went a set up the Lifetime = Planner.=20 The Lifetime Planner does not see t...

Msg Box does not return Correct Focus back to Dialog
I have a Dialog based Applcn. on click of Btn1 of Dialog1, a new thread is generated & a Dialog2 is shown In Dialog 2, again of click of Some Btn, Dlg3 is shown In Dlg3, during data validation, when a MsgBox is shown using AfxMessageBox func, the focus does not return focus to Dlg 3, instead focus goes to Dlg 2 Why so Thanks in adv ...

Create a search folder to look at all emails in one folder and selected criteria in other folders
Hi! Is is possible to create a search folder that shows ALL the email in the Inbox while only showing the unread email is other folders and subfolders? I would like to use this as a modified Inbox. Thanks, PJW I don't think you can do that since a search folder only allows one set of criteria. <phil.whitacre@cox.net> wrote in message news:1144603155.163778.133800@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi! > > Is is possible to create a search folder that shows ALL the email in > the Inbox while only showing the unread email is other folders and > subfolders? I wou...

My Homepage and Emails
On the "My Homepage" I have 53 emails in progress... However these emails have all been either sent or received, and are not "open" as such. Is there anyway to "close" off these emails so it does show in My Email and as In Progress? Select all from the In Progress Queue and Action >> Delete If they are emails, this will clear it from the In Progress Queue, but won't delete the actual record. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm San Francisco, CA "Biyoojok" wrote: > On the "My Homepage" I have 53 email...

Change background color of inbound email
In Outlook 2007, I have from left to right, Mail - shows all inbound, sent, and mail folders, the next is my inbox, and the third is the actual email being show that is highlighted in my inbox. My problem is that some email when it is displayed can not be seen due to colors. 90 percent of my email is fine, but some email I can not read because of the font color, or the background color. I want to know how do I change the background color, or font color of a displayed email? A quick trick is to click somewhere in that message and then press CTRL+A. The message will then be shown...