Can't Search Contacts 2007

Hope someone can help me with this.  At some point, my Outlook 2007 - 
(12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000) - stopped being able to make 
searches.  I'm speaking of the "Instant Search" - which I can access from a 
little window just above the cards, or from Tools | Instant Search | Instant 
Search.

Weird bits -

- The instant search works fine in other parts of Outlook 2007: mail, 
calendar, etc
- Every once in a while, it also works in Contacts, but mostly it doesn't.
- It used to work in Contacts, but stopped at some point.

Any Help much appreciated.


0
rw51 (3)
8/17/2008 11:16:46 PM
outlook 87535 articles. 10 followers. Follow

3 Replies
355 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

Rebuild the index. go to the Control Panel, System and Maintenance category, 
Indexing Options. From the Indexing options dialog, choose Advanced, then 
Rebuild.


-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"RW" <rw51@SAFe-mail.net> wrote in message 
news:1k2qk.19802$3l5.19712@newsfe06.iad...
> Hope someone can help me with this.  At some point, my Outlook 2007 - 
> (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000) - stopped being able to make 
> searches.  I'm speaking of the "Instant Search" - which I can access from 
> a little window just above the cards, or from Tools | Instant Search | 
> Instant Search.
>
> Weird bits -
>
> - The instant search works fine in other parts of Outlook 2007: mail, 
> calendar, etc
> - Every once in a while, it also works in Contacts, but mostly it doesn't.
> - It used to work in Contacts, but stopped at some point.
>
> Any Help much appreciated.
>
> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
8/18/2008 2:28:45 AM
Thanks, Diane!

That isn't working so far...

After posting, I googled the question & came upon your Slipstick, which I've 
used in the past (it's great!) & found your same answer.  But...

- On my Windows installation, XP Professional SP3, I couldn't find either a 
System and Maintenance category, or Indexing Options.  (I have a 
"Performance & Maintenance" category, which has nothing about Indexing under 
it; nor could I find an Indexing elsewhere in the control panel.)

- Also, I didn't install MS's Instant Search because, at the time I 
installed OL'07, opinion seemed to be against it, & I thought it might 
interfere with google's desktop search.  After that, I also disabled the 
reminder below the little window.

- Thus, I probably misspoke when I said I was accessing Instant Search, 
because OL sent me to that little window from Tools | Instant Search | 
Instant Search, and I assumed that's what it was called.  I guess I'm doing 
some kind of simple (non-indexed) search.

In the meantime, I enabled and disabled the *reminder* to install Instant 
Search, and strangely, the search is now working.  I don't know how long it 
will continue to work.

It's hard to imagine that enabling/disabling the reminder fixed the search. 
Do you think it did?  I don't think I've got an Outlook Index at all (except 
in google desktop), because I didn't install it.


"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
news:OhO6qoNAJHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Rebuild the index. go to the Control Panel, System and Maintenance 
> category, Indexing Options. From the Indexing options dialog, choose 
> Advanced, then Rebuild.
>
>
> -- 
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>
> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>
> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
> newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>
>
> "RW" <rw51@SAFe-mail.net> wrote in message 
> news:1k2qk.19802$3l5.19712@newsfe06.iad...
>> Hope someone can help me with this.  At some point, my Outlook 2007 - 
>> (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000) - stopped being able to make 
>> searches.  I'm speaking of the "Instant Search" - which I can access from 
>> a little window just above the cards, or from Tools | Instant Search | 
>> Instant Search.
>>
>> Weird bits -
>>
>> - The instant search works fine in other parts of Outlook 2007: mail, 
>> calendar, etc
>> - Every once in a while, it also works in Contacts, but mostly it 
>> doesn't.
>> - It used to work in Contacts, but stopped at some point.
>>
>> Any Help much appreciated.
>>
>> 


0
rw51 (3)
8/18/2008 3:26:48 AM
If you aren't using instant search there is no index. With it disabled, you 
have the old search engine.  I'm not aware of any search issues with it, but 
it may be that outlook thought WDS so it tried to use the index was 
installed and the step you took reminded it that its not.

-- 
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your 
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.


"RW" <rw51@SAFe-mail.net> wrote in message 
news:z_5qk.33422$QX3.6836@newsfe02.iad...
> Thanks, Diane!
>
> That isn't working so far...
>
> After posting, I googled the question & came upon your Slipstick, which 
> I've used in the past (it's great!) & found your same answer.  But...
>
> - On my Windows installation, XP Professional SP3, I couldn't find either 
> a System and Maintenance category, or Indexing Options.  (I have a 
> "Performance & Maintenance" category, which has nothing about Indexing 
> under it; nor could I find an Indexing elsewhere in the control panel.)
>
> - Also, I didn't install MS's Instant Search because, at the time I 
> installed OL'07, opinion seemed to be against it, & I thought it might 
> interfere with google's desktop search.  After that, I also disabled the 
> reminder below the little window.
>
> - Thus, I probably misspoke when I said I was accessing Instant Search, 
> because OL sent me to that little window from Tools | Instant Search | 
> Instant Search, and I assumed that's what it was called.  I guess I'm 
> doing some kind of simple (non-indexed) search.
>
> In the meantime, I enabled and disabled the *reminder* to install Instant 
> Search, and strangely, the search is now working.  I don't know how long 
> it will continue to work.
>
> It's hard to imagine that enabling/disabling the reminder fixed the 
> search. Do you think it did?  I don't think I've got an Outlook Index at 
> all (except in google desktop), because I didn't install it.
>
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message 
> news:OhO6qoNAJHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Rebuild the index. go to the Control Panel, System and Maintenance 
>> category, Indexing Options. From the Indexing options dialog, choose 
>> Advanced, then Rebuild.
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>>
>> EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
>> EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>>
>> You can access this newsgroup by visiting 
>> http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point 
>> your newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
>>
>>
>> "RW" <rw51@SAFe-mail.net> wrote in message 
>> news:1k2qk.19802$3l5.19712@newsfe06.iad...
>>> Hope someone can help me with this.  At some point, my Outlook 2007 - 
>>> (12.0.6316.5000) SP1 MSO (12.0.6213.1000) - stopped being able to make 
>>> searches.  I'm speaking of the "Instant Search" - which I can access 
>>> from a little window just above the cards, or from Tools | Instant 
>>> Search | Instant Search.
>>>
>>> Weird bits -
>>>
>>> - The instant search works fine in other parts of Outlook 2007: mail, 
>>> calendar, etc
>>> - Every once in a while, it also works in Contacts, but mostly it 
>>> doesn't.
>>> - It used to work in Contacts, but stopped at some point.
>>>
>>> Any Help much appreciated.
>>>
>>>
>
> 
0
outlookmvp (5838)
8/18/2008 12:35:50 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Business Contact Manager #22
does the standalone Outlook 2003 come with BCM or no; 3rd time in three days posted, or does it only come when Outlook is bundled with office of the appropriate version???? http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/howtobuy/compare.mspx --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, j higson asked: | does the standalone Outlook 2003 come with BCM or no; 3rd | ti...

viso 2007 on office 2003
I am using Office 2003. Can I use Visio 2007? I want to download a trial version and buy it if I like it; otherwise, can I download a trial of Viso 2003 and then buy it if I like it. On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:30:01 -0700, FredG <FredG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I am using Office 2003. Can I use Visio 2007? I want to download a trial >version and buy it if I like it; otherwise, can I download a trial of Viso >2003 and then buy it if I like it. As far as I know, yes, Visio 2007 is independent of the version of Office (at least, as far as every day usage goes)....

Search last 4 digits in an (account number)
I store bank accunt and credit card numbers in various Contact Notes. For example, a credit card # as xxxxxxxxxxxx1234. Outlook contact search would not find this contact if I enter the search for "1234". Is there a way to do this in Outlook 2007? TIA PS - this search works fine in Outlook Mobile. outlook searches from the beginning - so it will only work if you use xxxxxxxxxxxx 1234. Other search tools (like google desktop) may find it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: htt...

How can I recover my lost contacts and categories?
How can I recover my lost MSN contacts and categories using contacts.edb file from my backup? Greetings, Nir has a tool for this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/live_messenger_contacts.html -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation -- "Rogerio" <Rogerio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A7F5D4B-462C-4869-B32...

student language tools tab in word 2007
Hi, My niece uses office home and student 2007 (especially word) at school and it is also installed at home on the pc...but she says that there is tab that is missing from the home pc, it is student language tools which shows all the french accents, so when she types a word that requires an accent she clicks on it and the accent automatically goes into the word...does anybody know where to enable this? My guess is that this is provided by an add-in or other customization on the school system. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama...

Look for: Search In => Choose folders=> Search subfolders not working
When I search for an old email using Outlook's Look for: box and specify which folders to search in via the "Choose folders=>Search subfolders" checking a folder does not actually cause any subfolders to be checked. Unless there is some other setting and/or option hidden away somewhere, the "Search subfolders" check box is not working. I must manually check all the desired subfolders. What am I doing wrong? -- Regards, Peter Sale Santa Monica, CA USA To email me, just pull 'my-leg.' ...

Searching for Newsgroups
I subscribe to a Usenet service for accessing various news groups. After I download all the newsgroups from that server I can not find a way to search for the newsgroups I have interest in. When I put something like "RV" in the search box on the top right corner, it searches all of my Emails rather than just the list of groups that had "RV" in the title. Help tells me that there is a " Display newsgroups containing" box but for the life of me I can't find it. Any thoughts out there? I am running Entourage 12.2.3 Dunc Click the bar in th...

My Office 2007 spell checker is not working.
For some reason, Office 2007 is not finding my spelling errors (in Word or PowerPoint). It is not auto-correcting, highlighting errors, or finding errors when I manually run spell check. When I go to Word options, the dialog boxes indicate that it's on and that auto-correct is also on. What's happening? ...

Search & replace in formulae
Is it possible to do a search and replace which includes the cell formula contents ? I have a workbook that has cells which link to the contents of a cell in another workbook and I'd like to know if the naming has to remain constant or if I can replace a part of the name periodically. ie each year. thanks "Iain Rhodes" <iain@pricejam.com> wrote in message news:8ec201c49682$858c5d20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to do a search and replace which includes > the cell formula contents ? I have a workbook that has > cells which link to the contents of a cel...

Moving from 2000 to 2007
Hello, Could someone give me alittle advice. I have 300 users on Exchange 2000 and then we have another company where they have 50 users in a hosting enviroment running 2003. We are planning to implement 2007. But what is the best way to get all of this mail/calender exportede from the two systems and imported into 2007. I read on msexchangeteam.com that exmerge is not working with 2007, so what approach could i use then ? On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:10:07 -0800, rfalken <rfalken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Could someone give me alittle advice. I have 300 use...

Word 2007 won't show readability statistics
Although I checked the boxes for check grammar with spelling and show readability statistics, Word never reports the readability statistics after a spell check. Anyone know why? ...

Search engine optimization
Hello all! My question today regarding this issue is: I have noticed some sites have the following on their sites "Source". meta name= "robots" content="Index, follow" meta name= "revisit-after" content="15 days" or (30 days) What does this function accomplish as far as search engines go? and will it really imporve your results ( rankings) Like for instance "robots" "index, all" what is the difference between this and saying "robots" "index, follow" I'm a bit confused about this. Can someone ...

Possible to have two distinct sets of Contact in the one program?
Hi I am trying to extract my backup og mobile phone contacts from my T-Mobile online backup. My temporary mobile phone is not supported and will not download them. However, I have managed to download them in *.csv format and inserted them into an Excel spreadsheet. I am well aware that I can now import them into Outlook BUT I do not want them merged with my existing list of Contacts. As a holding measure, is it possible for them to be imported into Outlook, but kept completely separate? In the next few months I will be purchasing a Smartphone and will then want to move th...

Can I search identical fields from multiple tables?
I have a database to log details about staff in my school. I have a tables for staff details, courses, absence, educational visits etc. In each table I have a date field to show when the member of staff is not present. I want to produce a query to search all tables by entering a date - e.g. to bring back all results for staff who are not in school on a certiain day because they are either ill, on a course or on an educational visit. The query will work by entering a date once - it will then search all the other tables and bring back the results. Is this possible? Do I restructure? ...

What does outlook search when you search Contacts ?
When you do a search in oulook for contacts, what is the criteria that outlook searches? Or I guess how does outlook search? Why is it not consistant? The reason I am asking is that we have our customers contacts in public folders. In our customers we have 6 contacts for XYZ Foods. If you search in outlook for just "XYZ" it only comes back with 4 of the six. If you do a search for "XYZ Foods" it returns with all 6. And if you just entered "Foods" no contacts were found. And we actually have a few companies in our contacts who's names are a two part name ending...

cannot open older word doc with office 2007
When I attempt to open and older word document I get an error that the file type was blocked by your registry policy setting in word 2007 or word 2003. I looked up knowledge base article 922849 and it states to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock Only problem is that after microsoft in the tree there is no office. Make sure you going down the correct tree in the Reg Editor. There MUST be an Office section, so you must be following the wrong tree. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "bob" <rlabonte@verizon.n...

excel VBA
How would i search a range of a whole column instead of specific cells like .Range("a1:a300")? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ..range("a:a") ..columns(1) ..range("a1").entirecolumn are a few ways. "Zygoid <" wrote: > > How would i search a range of a whole column instead of specific cells > like .Range("a1:a300")? > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ahhh! Thanks!! I was trying .Column(1) i see i neede an "s" in there Thanks a...

OWA personal contacts home page
I am running Exchange 2K3 on a Windows 2003 AD. My clients outlook 2003 has the contacts home page set to the sharepoint services contact list. When the same user logs in using OWA the contacts are no longer linked to the WSS contacts. How would I go about getting this to work correctly? TIA, Tony ...

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

(Reposted) Sharing contacts in LAN
Hi NG, Sorry that I repost, but I didn't get any feedback on my last post, eventhough I think that there has to be an solution.. I'm looking for a cheap ( or better priceless ) solution to share the OL-contacts of several user in a small LAN. Basically 2 pcs that should can use and edit each others contacts with up to 2 laptops connected that only should read and edit the 2 contact-pools of the pcs. I know programms like OLWorkgroupfolders etc. but the license prices are quite high and anyway i just need a solution for the contacts. Would apreciate any help. Thanks Alex http:/...

Excel Data Not Visible in Cells 2007
I have two users in my office that use 2007 - myself and my manager. This morning something strange happened to a spreadsheet he was working on. There was data in the first 200 lines of the spreadsheet. somewhere around line 35 and up to line 60 the data - dissapeared. You couldn't see the text in the cells. BUT if you clicked in the cells you could see the info in the formula bar. He clicked save, and then it showed all the information again. This has happend several times over several spreadsheets. Can anyone help explain this?? Thanks ...

How do I delete an entire document in excel 2007?
Not cells,rows,columns,sheets, the entire document, delete the entire thing. Same way you delete any file. Close the file. Select the file through any means you wish. Right-click and "delete". Answer "Yes" and off it goes to recycle bin for your disposal. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:17:01 -0800, meghan <meghan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Not cells,rows,columns,sheets, the entire document, delete the entire thing. You can do it with a macro using KILL -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Soft...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

foawrding to a contact
we have a anti-spam service (cloudmark CEE) that moves spam to a "spam folder". for a few accounts we need to foward mail to a outside email address. I have setup a foward for the users but the problem is that all email including the unfiltered spam is being fowarded. Is ther any solution to prevent the spam mail from being fowarded? thank you, =?Utf-8?B?aGFybGlu?= <harlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:BD134A56-3316-4210-AA64-5D9B690A5BF2@microsoft.com: > we have a anti-spam service (cloudmark CEE) that moves spam to a "spam > folder". for a f...

How can i get excel graphs, jpg's inserted in Word 2007 to fit mar
Using Word 2007 - I have close to 30 excel graphs and charts inserted into a marketing plan along with jpeg images of other items that don't want to fit into the margin's of my document. I have tried formatting each individually but that will take forever and I have to adjust fonts and carry on. Is there a way to select all images and excel charts and graphs to fit within the margins? It is a 39 page document that is due by Monday. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks - Jessica Paste special - paste it in as a graphic. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Pu...