can't open this item with password protected files

Hello,

I can't open an email in Outlook 2003 with an attachement that is
password-protected.
The email is placed in the folder Server failures and if I try to open it,
I get the following message : Can't open this item. The operation failed.

Does anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Raimond

Does it work when you save the attachment first?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I can't open an email in Outlook 2003 with an attachement that is
> password-protected.
> The email is placed in the folder Server failures and if I try to open it,
> I get the following message : Can't open this item. The operation failed.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Raimond

0
Roady
9/1/2004 1:30:55 PM
No, I can't open the mail. The attachements are blocked.

message news:u1FFheCkEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Does it work when you save the attachment first?
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
>
> -----
> "Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't open an email in Outlook 2003 with an attachement that is
> > password-protected.
> > The email is placed in the folder Server failures and if I try to open
it,
> > I get the following message : Can't open this item. The operation
failed.

> > Does anyone know how to fix this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Raimond

Now you are talking about 2 different things contradicting eachother.

What exactly is the issue;
1) are you unable to open the e-mail and view the message?
2) are you able to open the message but unable to open the attachment that
came with the message?

Also what type of account are we talking about here? Exchange, POP3, IMAP,
HTTP, other...?

--

> No, I can't open the mail. The attachements are blocked.
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in
> message news:u1FFheCkEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Does it work when you save the attachment first?
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>
>> Tips of the month:
>> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
>> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
>>
>> -----
>> "Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I can't open an email in Outlook 2003 with an attachement that is
>> > password-protected.
>> > The email is placed in the folder Server failures and if I try to open
> it,
>> > I get the following message : Can't open this item. The operation
> failed.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know how to fix this.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Raimond

0
Roady
9/1/2004 1:52:13 PM
Hello Robert,

I'm working via an Exchange server.
Mailprogramm is Outlook 2003.Operating system is Outlook 2000.
I'm not able to open the e-mail and view it.
I see only a black screen with ' This item cannot be displayed in the
Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents.'

message news:OwluaqCkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Now you are talking about 2 different things contradicting eachother.
>
> What exactly is the issue;
> 1) are you unable to open the e-mail and view the message?
> 2) are you able to open the message but unable to open the attachment that
> came with the message?
>
> Also what type of account are we talking about here? Exchange, POP3, IMAP,
> HTTP, other...?
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
>
> -----
> "Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No, I can't open the mail. The attachements are blocked.
> >

> > "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> > in
> > message news:u1FFheCkEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> >> Does it work when you save the attachment first?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> >> www.howto-outlook.com
> >>
> >> Tips of the month:
> >> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
> >> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
> >>
> >> -----
> >> "Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > it,
> > failed.

Do you work with Cached Exchange mode? Does it make a difference when you
disable that? It could be that the message got corrupted somehow. Does the
message show up correctly when you connect to OWA? Ask your admin for the
server details if you don't know these.

--

> Hello Robert,
>
> I'm working via an Exchange server.
> Mailprogramm is Outlook 2003.Operating system is Outlook 2000.
> I'm not able to open the e-mail and view it.
> I see only a black screen with ' This item cannot be displayed in the
> Reading Pane. Open the item to read its contents.'
> If I try to open it, I get the following message : Can't open this item.
> The
> operation failed.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Raimond
>

> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in
> message news:OwluaqCkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Now you are talking about 2 different things contradicting eachother.
>>
>> What exactly is the issue;
>> 1) are you unable to open the e-mail and view the message?
>> 2) are you able to open the message but unable to open the attachment
>> that
>> came with the message?
>>
>> Also what type of account are we talking about here? Exchange, POP3,
>> IMAP,
>> HTTP, other...?
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>
>> Tips of the month:
>> -What do the Outlook Icons Mean?
>> -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1
>>
>> -----
>> "Raimond van der Meer" <raimond_cdmi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > No, I can't open the mail. The attachements are blocked.
>> >

>> > "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
>> > wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:u1FFheCkEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

> open
>> > it,
>> > failed.

0
Roady

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

Problem trying to open old money file

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

Sent Items appearing in Inbox
Every once in a while, when I reply to an email, there is an alert at the top of my email saying: "This message will be moved to the inbox after it is sent" Then when I send it, instead of going to the Sent Items folder, it goes to my inbox. It doesn't do it all the time and I can't figure out what is special about the messages that it does do it to! I had found a message talking about checking in the IMAP settings, but I couldn't find where that was, and we aren't using IMAP, we're using POP3. Please help! Holley Mac OSX 10.4.5 Entourage v. 11.2.5 Well, ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

INBOX: There are no items to show in this view
Hi, I have some users who were on an NT workstation using Outlook 2000 with Exchange Server 5.5 on our network. They received a brand new PC with Windows 2000 on it. When making sure their mail would open correctly, the messages in the Inbox are there but not viewable ("There are no items to show in this view"). They can view messages in any of the subfolders of the Inbox but not the Inbox itself as well as the Sent and Deleted Items boxes. They do not have any filters running. The only difference I saw was that one was using a Microsoft Outlook Profile instead of MS Exchan...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

ost file #2
My Exchange account was deleted from my Outlook today. All of my data is in the .ost file. Is there any way to recover the data into a .pst file? I am having trouble reinstalling the Exchange account. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. assuming that the ost is still attached to your profile, just start the computer with no network connection. Logon to your windows box like normal and then start Outlook. Go into offline mode and export to a pst. if the ost is no longer associated to a profile, copy it off somewhere for safe keeping and then try the following. create a n...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...