Can't find data files Outlook 2000

A customer of mine called to say that his computer was dead. We sorted
out that it was his motherboard that was dead. He bought a replacement
computer and we installed the old hard disk in the new computer as a
slave to get the files off it. The only data they really needed was
their Outlook data - contacts and calendar were very important.

They were using XP Home and Outlook 2000.

I went looking for some data files but couldn't find anything. the
only pst file on the computer was 32k and was an original start up
file. I checked for files changed in the last 5 days and could find
nothing that looked like an Outlook data file.

There are no errors on the hard disk so I don't think any files have
been inadvertently trashed. I have checked theior network and I cannot
see that they were using a networked data file.

I have installed Outlook 2003 on the new hard disk and made sure
nothing was changed on the old one.

Has anyone any idea what might have happened. Am I even looking for
the right things?

David
0
david9925 (2)

Hi David,

Yes, you're definitely looking for the right file.  For personal users who do not have an Exchange Server, Outlook data is stored in Personal Folder files (*.pst). Outlook uses Personal
Folder files to store Information such as messages, contacts, calendar, etc.

Is there any chance this customer was connected to an Exchange server mailbox?  If not, the data must be in a .PST file, and if it's not on the machine or a share, it's possible tht the file is
hidden or possibly deleted.

Please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) articles to learn more about backing up the Outlook data and Office program settings.

Q287070 OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q287/0/70.asp>
Note: this article is also adapted to Outlook 2003.

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications

>A customer of mine called to say that his computer was dead. We sorted
>out that it was his motherboard that was dead. He bought a replacement
>computer and we installed the old hard disk in the new computer as a
>slave to get the files off it. The only data they really needed was
>their Outlook data - contacts and calendar were very important.
>
>They were using XP Home and Outlook 2000.
>
>I went looking for some data files but couldn't find anything. the
>only pst file on the computer was 32k and was an original start up
>file. I checked for files changed in the last 5 days and could find
>nothing that looked like an Outlook data file.
>
>There are no errors on the hard disk so I don't think any files have
>been inadvertently trashed. I have checked theior network and I cannot
>see that they were using a networked data file.
>
>I have installed Outlook 2003 on the new hard disk and made sure
>nothing was changed on the old one.
>
>Has anyone any idea what might have happened. Am I even looking for
>the right things?
>
>David

0
scatki (156)
6/15/2006 8:05:40 PM
Did you enable show hidden files and folders?
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

<david@bbbweb.com> wrote in message
>A customer of mine called to say that his computer was dead. We sorted
> out that it was his motherboard that was dead. He bought a replacement
> computer and we installed the old hard disk in the new computer as a
> slave to get the files off it. The only data they really needed was
> their Outlook data - contacts and calendar were very important.
>
> They were using XP Home and Outlook 2000.
>
> I went looking for some data files but couldn't find anything. the
> only pst file on the computer was 32k and was an original start up
> file. I checked for files changed in the last 5 days and could find
> nothing that looked like an Outlook data file.
>
> There are no errors on the hard disk so I don't think any files have
> been inadvertently trashed. I have checked theior network and I cannot
> see that they were using a networked data file.
>
> I have installed Outlook 2003 on the new hard disk and made sure
> nothing was changed on the old one.
>
> Has anyone any idea what might have happened. Am I even looking for
> the right things?
>
> David

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/15/2006 8:30:11 PM
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:30:11 -0400, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]"
<outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote:

>Did you enable show hidden files and folders?
>http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm
I 'thought' I did. I will go back and check. Thanks for the pointer.

David
0
david9925 (2)

Installation files
I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Kirill wrote: >I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial >version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. >Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. You can download and install the Money 2006 trial version. When Money uses a file with ...

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

'the operation failed' error window in outlook 2003?
Every time when I open Outlook I get an error message 'the operation failed' that goes away after a second but the progam does not open either. I have to click on the icon a second time and the program opens right away. I have all the latest updates including servicepack 2 Does anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Heidi <Heidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Every time when I open Outlook I get an error message 'the operation > failed' that goes away after a second but the progam does not open > either. I have to click on the i...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Issue retriving data from mssql 2005
Different queries accessing a storedprocedure sometimes hang until they are timedout. Calling the stored procedure mannually (Management Studio)(from the client computer that also executes the program) returns 1090 rows in one sec. EXEC spa08v1GetTransactions NULL ,'20091006','20091006' Executing the stored procedure from a simple app, just counting the rows gives me a timeout at 956 rows. This runs nicely against my test enviroment. SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(); cmd.Connection = new SqlConnection("Server=MyServer;Database=MyDatabase...

Finding a Median

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Problem in installing file system driver
Hi, I am not able to install my .sys file filter driver.I have written .inf file and while installing this inf file its not giving any error also.Plz help me in solving this. my file filter driver file name is : *****************Here is My .inf file ******************************* [Version] Signature="$Chicago$" Class=MyDriver ClassGuid={286E934F-962E-4e1c-9729-1F65205A094F} Provider=%ADITI% DriverVer=01/22/2004,1.11.1111 [ClassInstall32] Addreg=MyDriverReg [MyDriverReg] HKR,,,,%DisplayClassName% HKR,,Icon,,"-5" [Manufacturer] %ADITI%="Aditi" [SourceDisk...

Find (but not find)

How do I load Outlook if I didn't select it when I loaded Outlook
I put office on my laptop but (among other programs like Power Point) I didn't select it when I was loading it up (didnt think I would ever use it).... well.... now I have a Blackberry and need Outlook so I can sync it.... help? Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Microsoft Office | Add or Remove Features.... -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies h...

Finding an event

"Folder Visible" Question (Exchange 2000)
Is there a way to set mailbox permissions from the exchange server (like editor, publisher etc...) specifically I am looking to set the "folder visible" option. I am trying to avoid going to every user in the company and doing this, so I am hoping I can do it while sitting at the exchange server. ...

link .pub files
I have produced a series of .pub files [Publisher 2003] for a book - each has illustrations, footnotes etc as separate text or picture boxes. I now want to put all the chapters into a new .pub file so that I can take the complete book to a printer - but I can't find a way to do this! Best 'fix' so far has been to save each chapter as a Word file and import that into a new .pub file. But that does not deal with the pictures, which all have to be re-inserted in the precisely correct position. there MUST be a better way! Or is it another problem with Publisher, like the inabi...

Copying portions of data
Is it possible to select a specific area of the worksheet using a find command (the data changes every day) and copy just that portion onto a new worksheet? Thanks Wendy Hi Wendy, If a verbal rule (or rules) can be devised to locate the area, then it is very likely that someone could aaist you with code to automate this. --- Regards, Norman "Wendy Clarkson" <wenan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cs835v$6ag$1@hercules.btinternet.com... > Is it possible to select a specific area of the worksheet using a find > command (the data changes every day) and copy ju...

where to write temporary files?
hello experts, I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files when the program is running. I need a piece of advice regarding the best place to put them: - Windows\temp directory - User directory - Program directory - ?? Needless to say, the directory must exist and the user must have the appropriate permissions. What are the good practices regarding this question ? Thanks Phil On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:43:18 -0700 (PDT), Phil <pbruyant@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello experts, >I am developing a software and I need to create a couple of temp files >when >the pr...

Unable to log into file
I read that I could not sign up for Experian if I updated a 2004 file. So I created a new 2005 with my current passport login/password. After I created my Experian account, I then went and removed online access to that file (2005). However when I try to log back into my original file, I enter the password and it begins to log in and then the password just goes blank with no error message. I have verified that no accounts are online, I have removed the passport login using Password Manager from my new 2005 account, but I still can not log back into my updated 2004 original money f...

Outlook 2002 closes sporadically when send reply
I have Outlook 2002 SP2 connected to an Exchange 2000 server mailbox. The mailbox size is approximately 240MB. There are about 22,000 items in the Inbox and about 30,000 items total in all folders. My issue is that sometimes Outlook will close when I send a reply. I am unable to determine a trend as to why this happens since it happens sporadically with no regard to recipient, time of day, other programs running, etc. I completely removed Office and re-installed it on the Windows XP Home Edition SP1 computer. The problem persists. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. ...

SBS 2008 File Transfer
Greetings, I am running SBS2008 on an HP ML370 G6 server. I have a total of 6 Hard drives (2 SAS drives, and 4 SATA drives). The 2 SAS drives are raided together with Raid 0 and SBS2008 is running off that raid. The 4 SATA drives are are raided into 2 drives with Raid 0 as well (2 sata drives / drive). The server now has 3 seperate drives (C,D,E). My problem is that when copying large files from C to D drive or anywhere D to E drive or any drive combination, speeds are fast, no problem. When copying files to an external USB drive, it takes hours, 16 hours for 175GIG of...

cannot find database

"A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook"
This message suddenly started and now comes up with every new email I begin in Outlook. Does anyone know what might have caused this and is there any way to correct it without having to uninstall/reinstall? "sgaines62" <impactplan@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:5eee01c49278$9d88b710$a501280a@phx.gbl... > This message suddenly started and now comes up with every > new email I begin in Outlook. Does anyone know what > might have caused this and is there any way to correct it > without having to uninstall/reinstall? Just a guess, but you could have a virus...

File Importing
Hello I am creating a spreadsheet in which I need to import 5 data files onto separate pages. I am able to import them as text files using the following commands I found on the Excel help site. My question is: is there a way to reference a specific cell containing the entire filename, thus automating the entire process, instead of just opening the "open dialog" window and having to manually select the file to open? I am using Excel 2002 on an XP-Pro system. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dim DestBook As Workbook, SourceBook As Workbook Dim DestCell As Range ...