Booking Resources using Outlook and OWA

Hi

We're a new Exchange/Outlook shop, and I am having a little trouble
setting up our shared resources to be able to be booked (scheduled) by
users.  I have read a lot of documentation on the Web, including the
very helpful info at slipstick.com:
http://www.slipstick.com/calendar/skedresource.htm

Following the instructions outlined on this website, I setup the
resources as users in Active Directory, and assigned Author permissions
on the calendar to users who need to schedule the resource.  For Direct
Booking to work properly, all the documentation strongly emphasizes
that the user MUST enter the scheduled resource as a RESOURCE, and not
a Required Attendee or an Optional Attendee.  Further, the
documentation mentioned the following tip to handle when a user forgets
to enter the shared resource as a RESOURCE.  I did this too.

"TIP: Using your Exchange Server administration tool, set the mailbox
to not accept messages from anyone. (A distribution list or security
group is good for this.) That way, if users forget and add the resource
as a required or optional attendee, the request will bounce back to
them from the resource mailbox."

And so, fine.  I did all of this.  Using the Outlook client, everything
is working properly, and users seem to be able to Direct Book the
resource.  When a user does not indicate the resource as a RESOURCE,
the appropriate email message bounces back to the user, indicating that
he does not have permission to send to this recipient.

Question 1:
Since users have Author access to the resource's calendar (so as to
permit them to book the resource), what's to prevent a user from
opening the shared calendar and manually adding an appointment that
conflicts with another existing appointment?  From what I can see, the
answer is nothing.  One of the documents I read suggests that this will
be addressed in the next version of Exchange/Outlook.  Can anyone
comment on this, or confirm what I read?

Question 2:
Like I said ... everything seems to work fine when a user books the
resource using the Outlook client, by creating a Meeting Request.
However, when I tried to schedule a resource by creating a Meeting
Request using Outlook Web Access (OWA), even though I properly added
the shared resource as a RESOURCE, I received back an email from the
System Administrator saying "You do not have permission to send to this
recipient."  Am I doing something wrong?  How am I supposed to allow
users to be able to book resources through OWA?

Any thoughts or assistance that can be provided will be greatly
appreciated.

Thank You.
JA

0
amatruco (3)

Q1: No technical obstacle prevents users with Author access from =
creating an appointment directly on a resource calendar, but I imagine =
your internal management policies might have something to say about =
that.=20

Resource booking changes substantially in Exchange 2007 + Outlook 2007 =
to prevent such situations.=20

Q2: Since OWA does not support directly booking, you should not block =
OWA users from sending messages to the resource mailbox. Such blocking =
is appropriate only for desktop Outlook users.=20

--=20
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
  =20
<amatruco@yahoo.com> wrote in message =
> [...]
> be addressed in the next version of Exchange/Outlook.  Can anyone
> comment on this, or confirm what I read?
>=20
> Question 2:
> Like I said ... everything seems to work fine when a user books the
> resource using the Outlook client, by creating a Meeting Request.
> However, when I tried to schedule a resource by creating a Meeting
> Request using Outlook Web Access (OWA), even though I properly added
> the shared resource as a RESOURCE, I received back an email from the
> System Administrator saying "You do not have permission to send to =
this
> recipient."  Am I doing something wrong?  How am I supposed to allow
> users to be able to book resources through OWA?
>=20
> Any thoughts or assistance that can be provided will be greatly

0
suemvp (4038)
9/17/2006 1:51:24 PM
Thanks!  Your reply is much appreciated.

JA

0
amatruco (3)

Outlook XP attachments
Good day, Outlook will be the death of me! We are running Outlook Xp completely updated with all patches, etc. As of a few days ago, all messages coming in or out have an attachment to them. We are not sending attachments with our emails. We did not make changes to the settings. It just seems to have done it all on it's own. Please, any suggestions before I finally slam the door shut on Outlook. Many thanks in advance! What kind of attachments? "Walter" <certified_cuban@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01d901c3513c$47e7d850$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Good day, > &g...

Payroll / Human Resources Error
Have a Deduction that was being setup in Microsoft Dynamics GP 10, it is not going to be used and now I would like to delete that Deduction now at this time. It is not associated with any employee, but I am getting an error when attempting to remove it. A Remove Operation on table 'UPR_SETP_Benefit_based_on' failed because the record couldn't be locked Any suggestions on how to remove out this Deduction? Thanks for your assistance. Kevin ...

Address book in Outlook
I just updated to XP from 2000 and I'm having a hard time setting up my address book in Outlook. I seem to remember that I was able to add email addresses quite easily to my address book when I was using Win 2000. Can anyone out there tell me how to accomplish this task? Jah Ruler Add addresses to your contacts folder. If you're having problems seeing it show up as an address book when you click on the To: button, right click on the contacts folder, go to properties, outlook address book, and tick the box. Jah Ruler wrote: > I just updated to XP from 2000 and I'm having a ...

probles with outlook preview
problems with outlook previewing read messages as unread messages evertime that outlook is opened ...

Upgraded using disk to 1.3 now MSDE error
I used the disk to upgrade MSDE on my "server". We are a peer-to-peer running XP Pro. I followed the instructions in the HTML file. It said to un-install both MSDE and MS RMS, then run the RMS 1.3 setup and it would install the new MSDE. It did that just fine. But, when it went to start the service, I got the message "cannot find CLUSAPI.DLL" something about re-uinstalling but after a few seconds the service does start. I ran a "repair" and still got the error. I can connect into my new database from other computers. Is this a problem? Thanks. Mickie, ...

Mail clears when I exit Outlook
Hello, I have Windows 7 and Outlook 2003 and I followed the instructions to IMAP my gmail account to outlook. It works great and all of my emails load into outlook. That is, until I close outlook. Once I close it and reopen outlook and click to open with my profile of the gmail account, there is no longer any emails stored in outlook. This has been very confusing for me so I apologize if I haven't explained this very well. Any help that you could give me would be great. Thanks! Sean wrote: > Hello, I have Windows 7 and Outlook 2003 and I followed the instructions to &...

outlook how to question
how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? tia why not send them to yourself <sstovall3@aol.com> wrote in message news:n8imp1pvp9kf9v3k7lsnh9ci4hns0p99io@4ax.com... > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? > > tia sstovall3@aol.com, you wrote on Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:32:27 -0600: > how do you transfer outlook express files into outlook? In Outlook Express go to File | Export | Messages -- Best Regards Christian Goeller the files are on a cd, access to outlook express has now been lost. On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:03:50 +0100, Christian ...

Is there any Books?
Hi, I just wonder is there any books for GP 8.0? thanks Gamal I assume you are looking for something other than the documentation, which you can from https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/documentation/UserGuides/ or it is on your Great Plains CD's. I have not seen anything else on Great Plains nor do I recall anything ever being mentioned at either of the two Convergences that I have attended. Maybe someone else knows of something. "Gamal Hammad" wrote: > Hi, > I just wonder is there any books for GP 8.0? > > thanks > Gamal > > &...

OWA Serious Problem one user only
User receives the error "Unable to perform operation" when using OWA and trying to edit his calendar. His mailbox resides on an Exchange 2000 server in a mixed mode organization. I have verified that the Registry Keys specified in KB310440 are there. Is there anything else I can do? This isn't an problem for anyone else. It has been suggested to delete the user account but I think that is a little extreme. ...

Problem probably about using fwrite-fread with directly structs
Hello everybody, I am working on WinXp and Visual C++ 6.0 edition. I have two structs as shown at the very bottom of my message. Besides my main formview, I have a dialog box whose user interface is used to change the data related with these structs. There is 1 "FileSetupData" struct and 20 FileThreatData to be saved and to be loaded back when the user activates the dialog again. As an electronics engineer I am very used to working with C functions fopen, fclose, fread, fwrite etc... and I saved the data to a BINARY file by directly saving structs using fwrite. There are a total of ...

How do I import files from earthlink to outlook (not express)
I have just opened an email account with Road Runner, so I need to import my addresses and messages into outlook (not outlook express). I exported my files to my desktop. But now I can't import into Outlook. HELP What format are the files on your desktop? "Giver" <Giver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:268B3E27-CEF6-4F65-9BF2-CD197DF2C2C2@microsoft.com... >I have just opened an email account with Road Runner, so I need to import >my > addresses and messages into outlook (not outlook express). I exported my > files to my desktop. But no...

Using signatures in Windows Live Mail
In Outlook Express I used 'signatures' to form the text of the email, not just to end the email - I picked the relevant 'signatures' for each paragraph. Is it possible to do this on Windows Live Mail? Although I have 7 or 8 signatures, I can only seem to use the default signature. Any help greatly appreciated. While composing a message in WLM, click on Insert - Signature you should see all the signatures that you have. Then select which signature you wish to insert. -- Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate http://download.live.com/wlmail &qu...

Resource reservation notification
Hello friends, I need to setup a resource in outlook in such a way that everytime someone reserves that resource a notification be sent to the sercretary automatically. I have added the sercretary to the resource delegates and gave her the appropriate rights but when some makes a reservation she is not getting any kind of notication to this effect. Does anybody know a way to accomplish this. We are using Outlook xp sp2 with Exchange 5.5 sp4. Thanks Android, You could try to create a rule for the conference room, but I don't see a way to do this (maybe you could do it by message class ...

Type mismatch error using Sumproduct
I've searched through similar topics and tried several variations of code, but I keep getting a type-mismatch error when trying to use Sumproduct. I am wanting to use this in several parts of my code. The first instance (which is also where the error keeps occurring) is below. With Worksheets("Hours") TotalHrs = .Evaluate("SUMPRODUCT((HoursCodes=ClassCode)* _ (HourStat=CliStat)*PeriodHours)") End With TotalHrs is dim'd as Single, ClassCode as String (either 4 or 5 characters long), CliStat as Integer (0, 1, or 99), and the rest as R...

backing up and restoring outlook express email and address book
Hi, I would like to install a new hard drive into my IBM Aptiva computer. I am using outlook express 6.0. I have taken the old hard drive out without removing any data at all. It is completely intact. I have installed the new hard drive and formatted it, then installed Windows 2000. In the process of setting up my internet connection, I was prompted to set up my mail account. I did set up the mail account without any problems. I know would like to restore all of may previous mail and address book from my old hard drive. What do I need to do. Thanks for your help This specifi...

store.exe using lots of virtual memory
Hi there In the daily administrator's report for SBS 2003 I get a message saying that the store.exe process is using an unexpectedly large amount of memory. The message recommends that I check whether the e-mail is running properly, else restart the store.exe process. Following quite a bit of testing, all e-mail functionality appears to be OK (send/receive, POP3 connector, RPC over HTTP, OWA, OMA, etc.). In Windows task manager, I see that store.exe is using 20.5MB of RAM and 580MB of virtual memory, and this latter number simply never comes down. There are currently only 5 Exchan...

Filter address book
I would like to apply a filter to my contacts (category is "friends") and then see just this group in the email address book so I can pick and choose just from this subset. using Outlook 2003. Is this possible? "Jack B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote in message news:eRhIBOXzJHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I would like to apply a filter to my contacts (category is "friends") and >then see just this group in the email address book so I can pick and choose >just from this subset. using Outlook 2003. You can't categorize the address boo...

Personal Adress Book- 2002
Hi, For some reason my instlation Outlook 2002\XP seems to be looking at the personal address book when i click on the address book (from the toolbar, an e-mail....) how do i get it to look at my contacts? harryguy082589@gmail.com <harryguy082589@gmail.com> wrote: > For some reason my instlation Outlook 2002\XP seems to be looking at > the personal address book when i click on the address book (from the > toolbar, an e-mail....) how do i get it to look at my contacts? First make sure you have the Outlook Address Book service installed in your mail profile. Then right-clic...

Using Solver with IF function?
Hi, When I try to use Solver to maximize a cell whose inputs include cells that use the IF function, I get an error saying that Solver encountered an error while trying to compute derivatives. Apparently, Solver just has problems maximizing anything whose derivative it can't take. Does anyone know of a workaround? I'd appreciate a direct email reply, as Google Groups isn't the most convenient thing to use, but I'll still check back here occasionally. Thanks much, Dave I doubt if a private email will reach you - unless you are using SPAM as a user name! Solver cannot cope...

Outbox only sends when outlook is open
I have a word template that has an option to send as an email. The template brings up the email message w/ the document already attached, you just type in the email address. The message get sent to the outlook, outbox, but only sends it, IF outlook is opened. This same form is working on 7 other computers correctly by sending the email, if outlook is opened or not. This is in an office enviroment, so all the PC's are the same... and the outlook settings appear to be the same for send/receive options that I've seen. <ACutsumbis@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142953287.0...

days used in a formula
does someone know how to insert the day of the month in a formula ? example =SUM(E26:E99)/here should be today's date Thanks for any help John- today() returns todays date day(today()) returns the day of the month weekday(today()) returns the weekday of the date Regards Dav -- Dav ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=556350 =SUM(E26:E99)/DAY(TODAY()) -- HTH Bob Phillips (replac...

address book group problem
I created a new group then (I thought) added entries using the boxes at the bottom of the small window one at a time. Now if I open my address book and click on the group, it only shows one entry. If I double click on it a new window opens with all eight ehtries which I put in. Does anybody recognise what I have done wrong? How can I get all the eight entries into the group? I need to be sure of what I am doing as if I lose the email details of these entries it will not be easy to get them again. TIA Pete It might be easier to start over, but I'll leave that up to you....

book fold printing
I have the document set to bookfold, landscape, letter size paper and the Brother printer properties set to bookfold and the document prints 4 small pages on the face of one actual page. What setting is wrong? I have tried setting the printer to normal, duplex and bookfold with no different results. Well, you can print a booklet from Word or from your printer, but you should not be doubling up on the settings. Word's "Book fold" setting is designed to print a booklet using the normal, everyday, default printer settings. You would have to consult your printer docum...

no global address book when sending
Hi All, Im having trouble with my email, Im just wondering if you guys could help me... I use Outlook 2000 as my email browser. It started recently when you create a ms word document and go to: File - send to mail receipient or mail receipient as an attachement outlook does open ok except when I select the TO button I do not get my global address book (company address book), I get nothing. Any help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance... If you create a new message in Outlook and click the To: button, do you see anything in there? Brenda McGrane wrote: > Hi All, >...

CRM 4.0 Outlook (desktop) client installation error
Hello, We are getting the error "Input string was not in a correct format" when trying to install the MS CRM 4.0 Outlook (desktop) client on some users' machines. If I log on as another (windows) profile the installation and configuration are successful, and if we rebuild the profile the installation also works. This occurs even where the 3.0 client was NOT previously installed. I've seen some posts where this error was seen on the server, but very few related to seeing the error on the client. The client suggestions I have seen mention repairing or re-installing .n...