Big Mystery - Who is putting contacts in Address Book???

A friend has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on computer with Windows ME.
She just noticed that there were 8 entries in her address book that she did
not put in.  All that was there was an email address and the same email
address for the name - 8 different entries.

Anyone experience something like that?  How could that happen?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Does she use Outlook or Outlook Express for her email?
If she uses Outlook, See Help, About in outlook- does it say internet mode
or corporate/workgroup?
 Is this someone she replied to? There is a feature in Internet mode and
also in OE that adds addresses you reply to, to your address book.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>A friend has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on computer with Windows ME.
>She just noticed that there were 8 entries in her address book that she did
>not put in.  All that was there was an email address and the same email
>address for the name - 8 different entries.
>
> Anyone experience something like that?  How could that happen?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/13/2007 4:54:33 PM
She used to use Outlook, but now uses Outlook Express, because Outlook would
periodically "crash" when she closed am email she had read.  All the
Contacts had been input into Outlook, but are available now in Outlook
Express too.

She did not reply to these questionable email addresses.

Any other suggestions?

> Does she use Outlook or Outlook Express for her email?
> If she uses Outlook, See Help, About in outlook- does it say internet mode
> or corporate/workgroup?
> Is this someone she replied to? There is a feature in Internet mode and
> also in OE that adds addresses you reply to, to your address book.
>

> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>A friend has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on computer with Windows ME.
>>She just noticed that there were 8 entries in her address book that she
>>did not put in.  All that was there was an email address and the same
>>email address for the name - 8 different entries.
>>
>> Anyone experience something like that?  How could that happen?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.

thats the only way they got there, short of her doing it either by typing
the name and address into the contact or right clicking on the name and
choosing add to contacts.

--

> She used to use Outlook, but now uses Outlook Express, because Outlook
> would periodically "crash" when she closed am email she had read.  All the
> Contacts had been input into Outlook, but are available now in Outlook
> Express too.
>
> She did not reply to these questionable email addresses.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Does she use Outlook or Outlook Express for her email?
>> If she uses Outlook, See Help, About in outlook- does it say internet
>> mode or corporate/workgroup?
>> Is this someone she replied to? There is a feature in Internet mode and
>> also in OE that adds addresses you reply to, to your address book.
>>

>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> "Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>A friend has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on computer with Windows
>>>ME. She just noticed that there were 8 entries in her address book that
>>>she did not put in.  All that was there was an email address and the same
>>>email address for the name - 8 different entries.
>>>
>>> Anyone experience something like that?  How could that happen?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/13/2007 6:15:56 PM
That could be an automatic "Import" feature when setting up Outlook Express
the first time.

"Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> She used to use Outlook, but now uses Outlook Express, because Outlook
> would periodically "crash" when she closed am email she had read.  All the
> Contacts had been input into Outlook, but are available now in Outlook
> Express too.
>
> She did not reply to these questionable email addresses.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>

> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Does she use Outlook or Outlook Express for her email?
>> If she uses Outlook, See Help, About in outlook- does it say internet
>> mode or corporate/workgroup?
>> Is this someone she replied to? There is a feature in Internet mode and
>> also in OE that adds addresses you reply to, to your address book.
>>

>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> "Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>A friend has Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on computer with Windows
>>>ME. She just noticed that there were 8 entries in her address book that
>>>she did not put in.  All that was there was an email address and the same
>>>email address for the name - 8 different entries.
>>>
>>> Anyone experience something like that?  How could that happen?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any help.

0
John

Contact Picture
We have a client that wants to attach a picture of the contact to their contact record. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? Cindy; If by 'attach' you literally mean you want to attach a jpg or image file, you can create a note on the contact record called "picture" and attached file to the note. But if what you want is for the contact's picture to be displayed when you open a contact record, then the easiest thing to do might be to create an iFrame that calls a URL that displays the image. if you have sharepoint you could store the image there...

get exisitng contacts data onto new computer
I am setting up a new computer and need to know how to take the outlook database from others in the office to place the existing data onto my station, peer to peer, no server in office. thanks for the info. You did not post your Outlook version. Use these instructions to migrate Outlook data on current versions. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Rookie" <Outlook Rookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9944845A-1D57-4749-8217-332379E7322F@microsoft.com... >I am setting up a new compu...

LDAP attributes for importing contacts
Hi, Sorry if this is not the correct discussion group. I am trying to import thousands of contacts into AD2003 so users can select them from the address list that I have created. Here are the fields I am using: DN,CN=paul smith,OU=Test Contacts,DC=SE,DC=TEST,DC=LOCAL ObjectClass,contact givenName,Paul mail,paul.smith@hotmail.com sn,smith DisplayName,smith paul company,Testing Co targetAddressSMTP:paul.smith@hotmail.com The contacts are created and all appear in address list filtered by company name. When I select the contact from AD computer and users right click send mail, mail is se...

transferring address book from outlook express on one computer to.
i want to copy my address book from my main computer to my laptop. i was using outlook express and now am using outlook 2003. So how did you back up this address book and in what format is it now? Have you already transferred this data to Outlook Express? That would be the first step you would need to take. Once you do, you can import into Outlook. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "milpj4" <milpj4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1DFDA41-1120-4701-9DBB-60754473C9E5@microsoft.com... >i want to copy my address book from my main computer to my laptop. i ...

Put a dialog's background design to a CBitmap Object
I known how to put a dialog's background design to a CBitmap Object,So I do it In the Dialog's OnInitDialog function, but the problem is when the Dialog implement the OnInitDialog function,the Dialog's background has not be draw. and when I want to get the dialog's background to the CBitmap Object, the CBitmap Object is not save the Dialog's background,but save the back of the Dialog's Window. How can I Get the Dialog's background in the Dialog initialize time ? My English is poor!! thanks!!!! ouyang, If I understand you correctly, you want to save the o...

Data Migration Manager
Hi, Really basic question. If I have an account and contact association where AccountName - CompanyA AccountID - 123 ContactName - Bloggs AccountID - 123 Do I map parentcustomer (contact object) to accountID on the account object to link the records together. Doesn't seem to be working so far. Thanks for any help! when you click on "Partner customer " mapping , then it open in window and where you have to choose "Account " and then field "Name" so you have to map to account name {name} /Aamir Hi Aamir, Hmm. But surely the account name isn't un...

Big problem with VPN
Hello. I'm having a ****in' big problem with a VPN. This is my scenario: I have a Windows Server 2003, with DNS,DHCP,AD and ISA Server running. This server has 3 network cards: Internal Network: 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 (DNS/DHCP) Internet: 192.168.254.254 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.254.1 (This card is connected to a SpeedStream 5200 (router mode, not bridge)). Dedicated Link: 189.80.x.x / 255.255.255.252 / 189.80.x.x Here goes the problem: I made a VPN using ISA Server. The VPN connected sucessfully, but i wasn't able to see any server file, also i co...

NDRs, Outlook contacts, GAL changes
Hi, We recently allowed a staff member access to update people's email addresses and display names in our Global Address list on an Exchange 2000 (Windows 2000) server. the GAL has about 20,000 mostly external address entries. (There are only 30 staff in our organization.) For display consistency, this staff person has changed many display names in the GAL to a standardized format, i.e. Lastname Firstname -Company. Prior to that, it may or may not have displayed the outside person's organization. Also, some of the listings in the GAL had people's employee numbers as their alias b...

Exporting a Global Address Book?
Is it possible to export a Global Address Book into a csv format? If so, how is this done? Thanks --- Jay Wilson ...

Big Big problem
Dear all, I have two excel files (data.xls) that the name is same and located in two different directories A and B. One day, I open data.xls in A directory and accidently save as the same name file in B directory. The file in B directory was replaced. How can I recovery the data of the file in B directory. Unless you have a backup, you cannot. Basic rule of using computers. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "woo" <woo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA1D3D2C-0DCB-4EE6-879A-1056D0AC9F7C@microsoft.com... > Dear all,...

Global Categories for Contacts...
Is there a way to distribute a list of categories to ALL Outllook clents? We have a public contacts folder that we would like to organize by Categories but want to modify the categories list. We cant seem to find a place to "distribute" a modified list of categories to all outlook clients. On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:22:00 -0800, Jason Wulf <JasonWulf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to distribute a list of categories to ALL Outllook clents? We >have a public contacts folder that we would like to organize by Categories >but want to modify the cate...

Messenger and WLM sharing contacts
How do I break the link between messenger and mail? I don't want them to share contacts. The check-box that says don't store my messenger contacts on this computer is grayed out so I can't select it. What can I do? Leon On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:00:16 -0400, Leon McCalla wrote: > How do I break the link between messenger and mail? I don't want them to > share contacts. The check-box that says don't store my messenger contacts > on this computer is grayed out so I can't select it. What can I do? If you are "Signing on" to Windo...

Common address book
Hi Group, Win XP. OE6. I have 4 computers networked using windows network. All are winxp/oe6. Is there any way to make a common address book that will be used by everyone? As always any thoughts, comments or suggestions are welcome. Regards, Mike "Mike Revis" <mike@nonohazmatexpress.com> wrote in message news:uRdHD7JmKHA.3840@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi Group, > Win XP. OE6. > > I have 4 computers networked using windows network. All are winxp/oe6. > > Is there any way to make a common address book that will be used by > ev...

Mystery Formula
The reference below is in an entire column of cells. The cell C7 is a number (14,000) that appears to be a constant multiplier for the entire column. I'm trying to find out what the , in front of the cell reference signifies, and what "TABLE" is being referenced. Thanks! {=TABLE(,C7)} ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Mike Polo wrote... > The reference below is in an entire column of cells. The cell C7 is a > number (14,000) that appears to be a constant...

Outlook contacts #5
I get an error message when using Outlook Contacts when filling out the "To" field. When I type the first letter of the name, the machine hangs then after a couple of minutes displays the following error, Outlook.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. As anyone else received this message and if so, how did you fix the problem. Thank you. What version of Outlook are you using? What version of Windows are you using it on? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I ...

IP address to Hostname in Excel
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me please.. I have a spreadsheet that is linked to a survey being hosted on our website. The survey is about internet safety and one of the questions it ask is what is your ISP? However it seems that not everyone here in Bahrain knows this and their entries are not valid. However we trap the IP addess in the survey results and these are pulled into the spreadsheet along with all the survey answers. column a col b col c col d IP Address Sex Age Nationality etc.. 193.188.105.25 M 32 Bahraini etc.. 84.235.101.66 M 33 Lebanese 83.136.59.145 F ...

Badly need help to put four categories in one pie chart
The problem is getting the 4 groups on the same Pie Graph I don't kno how to go about it. I am taking a correspondence course, the course is MEL4E-A Key questio 8 for anyone that maybe has did this course Here is the scenario- The Table below lists baseball team standings. Create a frequency tabl and a pie graph of the teams that have 80 or more wins, 70-79 wins 60-69 wins, and fewer than 60 wins. Wins Losses New York 83 53 Boston 79 58 Toronto 68 69 Baltimore 61 75 Tampa Bay 53 82 Chicago 73 64 Kansas City 70 65 Minnesota 71 66 Cleveland 62 76 Detroit 34 102 Oakland 82 55 Seatt...

Problem importing contacts from outlook express
I recently installed Outlook 2000. During installation it asked me if i wanted to import contacts from outlook express. My express has several identities: personal, business and my girlfriends. The "import" took the contacts from my personal account and then it deleted the other two in their entirety (from express). I now have none of my business contacts and I am absolutely furious. Any suggestions? have you tried setting up Outlook profiles to match your other two identities, and running the import again? I'm not sure it would work, but it might be worth a shot......

Changing reply-to address when sending email
For reasons I don't have time to go into, I have to give my Exchange 2003 users a reply-to address that is not only an address different from their default email address in AD but one that doesn't even exist in their user object. Our company, we'll call SmallCo, was bought by BigCo. We can't (because we're syncing our GAL and free/busy through Quest) have user@bigco.com as my default address, but it must by corporate edict be my reply-to address. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? Is there an Outlook setting I can change, or an event sink that somebody knows of? ...

big request
Bernie, One more think, please Would you mind telling me which book for beginners is the best for starting with VBA? thanks a lot skitek --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ I'm not Bernie, for excel books, Debra Dalgleish has a big list of books at: http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html John Walkenbach's is a nice one to start with. I think that John Green (and others) is nice, too (for a second book??). See if you can find them in your local bookstore and you can choose what one you like best. "skitek <" wrote: > > Bernie, > > O...

putting a column of names into alphabetical order
I have collected data with names against dates and treatments and wish to rearrange the spreadshett into alphabetical order by name. Some names have spaces in the name column as there may be multiple entries of other date in other columns. I have merged and centred these cells in the "name" column. I still get "cant merge". Have excel2003. maybe I should take my work home and see if 2007 excel can do the job You shouldn't need to merge the cells to sort them. Hopefully you still have an original, unmerged, copy of the data. Simply select all columns w...

"Specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted" error
We are getting this error in "CRM Client for Outlook". We get it when we trying to synchronize after clicking on "Go offline". We have two installations of "CRM Client for Outlook". One installation was able to synchronize for a while, but is not able to now. The other installation could never synchronize. Now both installations get the "specified domain..." error message. Where should we start troubleshooting? We have many remote users who are experiencing the same failures. I hope that you get some feedback that we both can use. CPJ &quo...

Add a field to General Contact form?
Is it possible to add a field to the General form under the Contact tab for an Outlook (2007) contact? I'd like to add a "Relationship" field between the Job Title and File As fields. Can someone explain how to do this or point me to instructions? I'd be happy to pay someone a consulting fee to walk me through it over the phone. Can anyone recommend a good Outlook consultant? Thanks ...

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

Distribution List to use multiple emails for contact
I am trying to setup a Distribution List and want to include all email accounts setup for that contact when sending a message out. Currently I can only send out to the default email account. Is there a way to get this to work? The sending account is chosen at the time you send a message. It is not a property of either a Contact or a DL. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Tiffany" <tslaton@nuvox.net> wrote in message news:1783701c41deb$2ad1a940$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to setup a Distribution List and want to > include all email accounts setup for that conta...