Best way to read 3.5GB OL2003 .pst file from old computer on a new computer?

My old computer has OL2003 with a 3.5GB .pst file.  The old computer's
OL 2003 suffered from poor performance due to constant synchronization
of folders that would sometimes last upwards of 30 minutes.  My GF
does not want to depart with the 300 plus emails saved in the inbox
folder...ditto the sent mail folder.  She wants to be able to refer
back to them on occasion, but agrees they don't need to be necessarily
read/handled by OL2003 on the new machine.  I don't want to bog down
my new computer's fresh installation of OL2003 by just moving over and
installing this massive .pst file.

I've read about using OE to read old and possibly large archived .pst
files, but I understand OL has to be installed on the new machine.  I
do have OL2003 on the new machine, but I'd rather it didn't know about
this old, monstrously huge .pst file because I'm afraid the
synchronizing folders dilemma would resurface on the new machine.  Can
OE read large .pst files without slowing down OL2003's performance?
If I can use OE to read these old emails, I believe I have to export
the inbox folder and the sent mail folder from OL2003 on my old
computer as two separate CSV files.  After I have moved the two CSV
files from the old computer to the new one, I'm not quite sure on how
to import the two CSV files into OE on the new machine.  If this is at
all a workable idea, any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

I've also read about the possibility of using Thunderbird to read the
gargantuan .pst file, but I don't know quite how to pull it off.  Once
again, I don't want the presence of this huge file on my new machine
to cause its OL2003 to go through the ridiculously long
synchronization sessions that I had to endure on the old computer.

Thanks for any and all help and/or info.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

0
hokiewolf (2)

now.. why don't you just import the email folders (or whatever.. the whole
3.5gb if it knocks urself out) into OE in the OLD machine?

... first of all in OE go into options and in the maintenance select a new
folder to store the data.
... then.. import (it WILL take quite some time in ur case)
you'll have then everything in that folder .. copy it to the new machine..
in the new machine do the same options thing in OE (remember to READ well
what it asks cause you have already email data there..) and off you go.

last but not least.. erase the old .pst file .. invite some fiends and have
a farewell party.
lolol

Danny <hokiewolf@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My old computer has OL2003 with a 3.5GB .pst file.  The old computer's
> OL 2003 suffered from poor performance due to constant synchronization
> of folders that would sometimes last upwards of 30 minutes.  My GF
> does not want to depart with the 300 plus emails saved in the inbox
> folder...ditto the sent mail folder.  She wants to be able to refer
> back to them on occasion, but agrees they don't need to be necessarily
> read/handled by OL2003 on the new machine.  I don't want to bog down
> my new computer's fresh installation of OL2003 by just moving over and
> installing this massive .pst file.

Outlook should have no trouble handling a 3.5 GB PST.  I suspect there are
other issues on that PC.

> I've read about using OE to read old and possibly large archived .pst
> files, but I understand OL has to be installed on the new machine.

Outlook Express cannot read PSTs, period.  What it can do is import from
Outlook (File>Import>Messages), but Outlook must be configured and have the
PST in the open mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Journal stopped working #3
I'm running Office XP Pro in Windows XP Pro. I noticed that my journal doesn't keep track any more. When I open the journal it is now empty. I've made sure that the feature is enabled in the Journal Option under Tools and I've checked off the boxes to track email, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. But it still doesn't do it. Is there another location to enable Journal? ...

is there a way to zoom the Excel view to the current highlighted cells..with a single click
Never mind I found it zoom to selection I wonder f theres a way to hotkey (shortcut) this? Jery ...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

There must be a way.........
There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody help? <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com... > There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed > (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody > help? Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool. Read about system file protection here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193 On Mon, 29 Mar 2...

is there a way to hide a whole worksheet in excel?
I would basically like to place all formulae on one worksheet and hide from anyone tempted to amend. most folks know how to unhide cells etc. Even if someone knows a sneakier way of making viewing of formula unviewable Good evening Marion McFarlane To hide a worksheet go to Format > Sheet > Hide. This can be unhidden through the same menu (but use unhide instead). To hide cells from view press ctrl + 1 and change the number format to Custom and ;;; (three semicolons). The formulae will still show in the status bar, so to hide from there, press ctrl + 1 and in the Protection ta...

Circular logging #3
I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a batch file that would delete old log files. I would also like to know how to automate this process so as not to run out of disk space. Any help would be appreciated . Ray3d84 -- Full online backups will purge the transaction logs for you. "ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFC1812E-9570-4148-AB81-2CC8DADEF2D0@microsoft.com... >I would like to turn off circular logging and would like to know is there a > batch file that would delete old log files. I would a...

downloaded file has no file extention
Downloaded a file using utorent but the file has no file extention. Tryed to unrar the file but that did not work. Thanks for sharing. How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Good Post http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BCDB9C6-1064-45A5-8EA5-B61272BCA269@microsoft.com... > Downloaded a file using utorent but the file has no file extention. Tryed > to > unrar the file but that did n...

Read BuiltInProperties
Hi, How can I read builtinproperties of some files without open it. Thanks for answer Gilles Le Bret I find the answer but it works just for office's application http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=224351 Gilles Le Bret "Gilles Le Bret" <glebret@socetem.fr> a �crit dans le message de news:%23NnfgaL4DHA.2512@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How can I read builtinproperties of some files without open it. > > Thanks for answer > > Gilles Le Bret > > ...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

Windows File Explorers could allow fonts face and color changes.
When I look at the desktop, I sometimes wish I could sort my files and folders. I imagine a system of boxes or cells to group items. The Desktop would look like a table of cells and the user would be able to put for example all the work files & folders in a cell, all the personal files&folders in another cell. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to ope...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

According to the Excel online help, the PivotCache.Connection property can be set to "the path to and file name of a text file". I tried setting it to the path and file name of a .csv file and it returned an error. Is there a way to load a PivotCache directly from a flat file without having to load into a spreadsheet or database? (The flat file has more than 1 million rows.) -- Tom Sherwood ...

Rank it a NEW WEB page www.World-Estate.com
Rank it a NEW WEB page www.World-Estate.com New real estate web page for all the world tell me wath u think : www.World-Estate.com If You can write me email , then we will make this page beter. Thanks www.World-Estate.com ...

Howto read/write SQL-Server ntext-Attributes with CRecordset using ODBC
Hello, is there any possibility to read/write chunks of data from/to a ntext attribute (SQL-Server using ODBC, not ADO) to avoid problems caused of not enough memory? Thx, K. Konrad ...

Upgraded to Beta 2007 and files aren't being read
The files we created a week ago w/ the first Beta verson are now, not being read in the latest Beta upgrade. Any one having this issue or do you know a fix. How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Mqueen" <Mqueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96800D36-7B62-4BEC-9572-22C8CF04B5E5@microsoft.com... > The files we...

Outlook 2007 cannot open .pst file
I just installed Outlook 2007, then moved older outlook pst files successfully into my new Outlook. However, I closed it and then restarted it. It claims that it cannot open the Outlook.pst file anymore. In trouble, need any and all input as to how to fix it; other than completely reinstalling it. I will loose some new email that I downloaded. thank you, -- ravimk http://forums.slipstick.com Which method did you use to reconnect your older pst-files? "Moved it" is not a valid action nor does it describe exactly what you did. The proper way to reconnect...

Defrag/Reduce STM File
Can I reduce or defrag the STM File? We have Exchange 2000 organization. All the clients use Outlook to access their mails. We have some users for whom we have configured to forward e-mails to their external mail accounts. We have not enabled OWA. Then also, the STM file size has reached around 5GB. My EDB file has also reached almost 11GB. I am reducing it by offline defrag. But, how to defrag STM file? How can I reduce the size of STM file? Thanks in Advance, Regards, Denis On Fri, 26 May 2006 04:51:01 -0700, Denis <Denis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I reduce...

Item Messages not Printing RMS 1.3
I have RMS 1.3, the instructions for Item Messages say that they are supposed to pop up on the POS and print on the Receipt. Ours Pop Up but do not print. The Help screen says it is only a Pop Up remeinder, so .... Is there a Option to select to get Item Messages to Print? or do I have to make a special receipt? -- RMS 1.3, MSDE 3 Lanes, 5 Back Office Clients XP sp2 Server 2003 sp1 Domain Static IP HI you have some misunderstading, the item message is basically develop to remind the cashier on POS transaction screen when certain items are purchased, this item message you can attached ...

Formula help in Excel which is the correct way ?
Tax is 23 % which is h-9 Total Cost is 75,000 which is b-9 I want to create a formula in B-11 that is 23% of total cost. So I did =H9*B$11 but apparently this isn't correct so what is the correct formula ?. need an absolute reference to H-7. So if you can give me the correct formula I would appreciate i -- SSVegett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- SSVegetto's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2822 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47775 =$H$9*B9 Don't know wher...

Macro to Fomat Excel to .csv File
I have an Excel spreadsheet with contact information I want to import to a CRM lead system. Current Excel sheet format is all in one column going down as follows: Company Name, Address, City State Zip (all one field), Phone number, then empy cell then repeat of 4 cells listed above. Want to convert to a new .csv file with listing going left to right on on line as follows (ending up with 6 column fields - 1. Company Name 2. Address 3. City 4. State 5. Zip 6. Phone Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Kip ...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Outlook 2003 Read Pane stops working
I have used Outlook 2003 without serious problem for many years. Yesterday it crashed and when it restarted, the Reading Pane disappeared. I checked the "Settings" and the "Reading Pane" was set to "Right" as before. I tried setting it to "Bottom" and it did not reappear. I set it to "None" and then restarted Outlook and then set it back to "Right" and still it does not appear. I have rebooted Windows XP and tried again, but the "Reading Pane" will not appear. Any ideas on what to try next? I suspect that I have encountered...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

Is there a "preferred" way to update properties based on other properties?
Let's say I have a class that represents a rectangle: class Rectangle { private int width; private int height; private int area; public int Width { get { return width; } set { width = value; } } public int Height { get { return height; } set { height= value; } } public int Area { get { return area; } } } Obviously, area does not represent anything based on that. How to best keep area in sync is the purpose of this question. One way would be to simply get rid of the variable area, and make the ...

Modifying X-Z Reading for Gift Certicates
Is there a way to modify the Z Reading to make Gift Certifates work like Deposit Made and Deposit Redeemed. I would like to see Gifts not added to my Sales total when sold but just there for balancing ant not count as a sale unit an actual item is purchased. Because as it stands now when you sell an item Sales go up by the Gift Certificate amount and then Sales increase again by the same amount when the Gift Certificate is redeemed. ...