Best practice .pst files on network shares for backup purposes

We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from
the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange
mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger.

Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user
profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems
with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't
have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on
a network share.
This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case
something went wrong

But it seems Microsoft doesn't advice putting .pst files on network
shares?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019 Personal folder files are
unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link

I noticed because in Outlook 2007 you can't index a .pst file on a
network share and I was unable to search in my history pst folder...

I don't want my users to keep all their old e-mails in the exchange
mailbox but if they store it somewhere in a .pst file I want to have a
backup of it without (as MS puts it) using 'unsupported
configurations'?

Regards,

Michael
0
nickneem (3)

they can certainly archive old items and place a copy on the network for
backup - you can use a log on script for this or tell users to only open the
archive as needed (not to leave it connected to the profile when they aren't
using it) and run a script weekly to copy it.

Better yet, give them larger mailbox quotas and use an archive solution on
the exchange server. If your industry needs to keep email to meet regulatory
requirements, you should be using a server side solution anyway.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Nickneem" <nickneem@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from
> the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange
> mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger.
>
> Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user
> profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems
> with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't
> have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on
> a network share.
> This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case
> something went wrong
>
> But it seems Microsoft doesn't advice putting .pst files on network
> shares?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019 Personal folder files are
> unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link
>
> I noticed because in Outlook 2007 you can't index a .pst file on a
> network share and I was unable to search in my history pst folder...
>
> I don't want my users to keep all their old e-mails in the exchange
> mailbox but if they store it somewhere in a .pst file I want to have a
> backup of it without (as MS puts it) using 'unsupported
> configurations'?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

0
outlookmvp (5838)
5/16/2008 11:46:27 AM
Nickneem <nickneem@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't want my users to keep all their old e-mails in the exchange
> mailbox but if they store it somewhere in a .pst file I want to have a
> backup of it without (as MS puts it) using 'unsupported
> configurations'?

Where I work, there are two habits: the first is to have the Personal
Folders Backup utility installed (PFBACKUP, from Microsoft's Office download
area) and have its frequency set to a couple of days.  The destination of
the copy PFBACKUP makes is a network share so that it will be backed up.
The second approach is that some people start Outlook from a shortcut that
runs a batch job.  That batch job first copies the local PST to a network
share and then starts Outlook when the copy completes.  It takes a bit
longer to start Outlook that way, but they know they have a fresh backup at
the start of their day.  I myself prefer the PFBACKUP utility.

And, of course, we have people who keep their PSTs on a network share and
have Outlook access it directly, but they're the ones running the risk, not
I.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
5/16/2008 11:51:54 AM
Thanks for your help Diane / Brian!
0
nickneem (3)

Displaying Multiple-Page Linked OLE Files in Excel
Is there a way to display more than the first page of a multiple-page Word document linked to an Excel spreadsheet as an OLE object? It's possible to click through to the original document, but I'm unable to find a way to display the entire document within Excel without distorting the image. ...

Data not downloading to .xls file but it is in the database
OK, I am relatively familiar with Access 2003, but I have been asked to figure out why the data in that is entered into the database shows it when looking on the database but it is not generating it to the list of updated documents. Here is a bit of the background...I just started working at this company 2 days ago, well the file is an excel file but the path for the file is generated to a person's C: drive who no longer is employed here. I am trying to change that path...and am having no luck. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks! Is the file even on their machine? You...

The best photographer
He is the best famous photographer.. http://club.cyworld.com/dcnomad ...

how disable msg: "Your files are attached & ready to send"
In Windows explorer when I want to e-mail a file, I right click on the file, select Send To and then Mail Recipient. In the resulting Outlook window, It always includes in the body of the e-mail: "Your files are attached and ready to send." How do I disable getting this message in the body of the e-mail. It really serves no purpose and gets in the way of any message I want to write. Thank you. Just delete the text & change the subject line - or instead of doing it this way, create a new message, and attach the file (browse to it). Andrew wrote: > In Windows explorer w...

downloaded file has no file extention
Downloaded a file using utorent but the file has no file extention. Tryed to unrar the file but that did not work. Thanks for sharing. How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html Good Post http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm "b11_" <b11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BCDB9C6-1064-45A5-8EA5-B61272BCA269@microsoft.com... > Downloaded a file using utorent but the file has no file extention. Tryed > to > unrar the file but that did n...

Best text books / manuals for MS Office (intermediate-Advanced use
What are the best (most highly reccomended) text books / instruction manuals you can get for Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Word and also VBE? I consider myself to be Quite proficient in Excel......Can produce a decent document in Publisher.......Can "Get by" in Word....Not enough knowledge of Access......Only used PowerPoint once....... I started using BASIC (the programming language) back in the '80s, so I have some knowledge of VBE (Formulas & syntax are quite simular from what I see now). I have created several Excel projects with Macros bu...

Windows File Explorers could allow fonts face and color changes.
When I look at the desktop, I sometimes wish I could sort my files and folders. I imagine a system of boxes or cells to group items. The Desktop would look like a table of cells and the user would be able to put for example all the work files & folders in a cell, all the personal files&folders in another cell. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to ope...

Where is the best place to put notes?
We are new to MSCRM and are not used to all of the possible places that you can enter notes. Has anyone created a structure for their company as to what notes should be entered where? Wendy, There are many ways to handle notes. You have accurately identified that notes are kind of disjointed. What you might consider doing is creating a central notes depository in Sharepoint and then adding a customization with an inline frame that shows the Sharepoint notes repository in several different parts of CRM. In general, you have not provided enough information on what you are trying to ac...

According to the Excel online help, the PivotCache.Connection property can be set to "the path to and file name of a text file". I tried setting it to the path and file name of a .csv file and it returned an error. Is there a way to load a PivotCache directly from a flat file without having to load into a spreadsheet or database? (The flat file has more than 1 million rows.) -- Tom Sherwood ...

what is the best way to resize test that "best fits" the text box
I just want to know how to resize text to fit the text box. Select the text and reduce the font size until it suits your requirements. There is no automatic function for this. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "utahjohn" <utahjohn@discussions.microsof...

Macro to Fomat Excel to .csv File
I have an Excel spreadsheet with contact information I want to import to a CRM lead system. Current Excel sheet format is all in one column going down as follows: Company Name, Address, City State Zip (all one field), Phone number, then empy cell then repeat of 4 cells listed above. Want to convert to a new .csv file with listing going left to right on on line as follows (ending up with 6 column fields - 1. Company Name 2. Address 3. City 4. State 5. Zip 6. Phone Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks. Kip ...

Upgraded to Beta 2007 and files aren't being read
The files we created a week ago w/ the first Beta verson are now, not being read in the latest Beta upgrade. Any one having this issue or do you know a fix. How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Mqueen" <Mqueen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96800D36-7B62-4BEC-9572-22C8CF04B5E5@microsoft.com... > The files we...

Outlook 2007 cannot open .pst file
I just installed Outlook 2007, then moved older outlook pst files successfully into my new Outlook. However, I closed it and then restarted it. It claims that it cannot open the Outlook.pst file anymore. In trouble, need any and all input as to how to fix it; other than completely reinstalling it. I will loose some new email that I downloaded. thank you, -- ravimk http://forums.slipstick.com Which method did you use to reconnect your older pst-files? "Moved it" is not a valid action nor does it describe exactly what you did. The proper way to reconnect...

Defrag/Reduce STM File
Can I reduce or defrag the STM File? We have Exchange 2000 organization. All the clients use Outlook to access their mails. We have some users for whom we have configured to forward e-mails to their external mail accounts. We have not enabled OWA. Then also, the STM file size has reached around 5GB. My EDB file has also reached almost 11GB. I am reducing it by offline defrag. But, how to defrag STM file? How can I reduce the size of STM file? Thanks in Advance, Regards, Denis On Fri, 26 May 2006 04:51:01 -0700, Denis <Denis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I reduce...

Error saving a Shared Workbook
I have a user using a shared workbook and gets an error everytime she does this ONE specific change. She deletes a line and then saves and gets a message that says, "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be shutdown by Windows... blah blah blah". If she makes anyother type of changes it saves just fine. I also had another user do the SAME change and that person also got that error message. When the file is changed to "Not Shared" then the line is deleted it saves fine also. The problem is obviously with the file itself and that is shared out. can anybody ...

How can I save embedded files as gifs
I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? Empty your Temporary Internet Files and try again. "Royalscotty" wrote: > I use Outlook. When I try to save an embedded gif file by right click/save > files I can only get the option to save a s BMP. How can I change this? ...

Best way to forecast individual sales territories?
I have a spreadsheet with twelve months of sales data per territory (100 territories.) I need to forecast the next three months. The product being sold is just moving from launch phase to high growth phase, so it's still growing pretty quickly. What is the best method to forecast each individual territories' sales over the next three months? ...

OWA/OMA Protection
<No response from other forum> Hello, I have a Exchange 2003/OWA frontend that is protected with RSA two factor authentication inside a Checkpoint Firewall. The RSA part works fine and everything is good. Now I buy a Motorola Droid and need to set up the Exchange Sync and the RSA poses a problem. If I remove the RSA protection the Droid connects to the OWA and syncs well. Calls to RSA says it will not work with a Droid so I'd have to get rid of the RSA authentication. The question is: it looks like if I want to use a Android 2.0 based Droid phone to sync with outlook...

filtering out "temporary internet files" from journal
Hi. I like logging the word documents I work on in my journal. However, word documents that I open as e-mail attachments also record in the journal (those that get filed in my "temporary internet files." I'd like those Word attachments NOT to be logged in my journal. I know there is a filter in viewing the journal. I would like a way to filter out those word documents from the "temporary internet files" folder. Thanks. Michelle ...

GL figures
what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr. do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file. -- Linda W. Linda, You mean when you are starting up a new company? If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only. For example, let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends in December and y...

Exceptionally large files
I have found that Excel files for which I pivot tables and filters take up a lot of storage space. Is this normal? Obrigado Ronaldo It depends on what is in the file and what you mean by "a lot" of space. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Ronaldo" <hatidi@spam.zw> wrote in message news:OELbXU%230EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I have found that Excel files for which I pivot tables and >filters take up a > lot of storage space. Is this normal? > > Obrigado > > Ronal...

Money 98 'caching' *.mny file?
I know-- it is an antique. But Money 98 works for me & I've tried to upgrade once- spent a couple months to determine it would be more work than it is worth. [I have a couple accounts that will not make the change and I can't figure out why.] So I upgrade my desktop and install Money 98. I am struck with how fast it loads, but figure it is the new processor. I have a home network & sometimes use the mny file on my laptop. but when i synchronize the mny file- though it doesn't complain then- When I open Money it says the file might be read only. Or it mig...

Restore Outlook 2000 without .pst?
I backed up a computer to a dvd but forgot to export outlook 2000 to a pst. Is there anyway to get the info back?jho In news:1123958637.749834.33580@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, jho <jhogan0101@yahoo.com> typed: > I backed up a computer to a dvd but forgot to export outlook 2000 to a > pst. Is there anyway to get the info back?jho No. If you don't have the PST file, you don't have any data. Note - you don't need to export anything. You can just copy/back up the existing PST file(s) next time. jho <jhogan0101@yahoo.com> wrote: > I backed up a comput...

double click excel file doesn't open it
Hi' I have astrange problem when i double click excel file, it opens exce but doesn't load the file. (excel opens with blank worksheet). anybody can help thanks -- kma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=333 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48815 Hi Try Tools/Options/General and untick 'Ignore other applications' (if it's ticked!!) Andy. "kman" <kman.1z232m_1132927801.2047@excelforum-nospam.com> wro...

Outlook data file dupe listings in navigation pane
After installing Office 2003, I made the mistake of creating an email account BEFORE redirecting Outlook 2003 to use theexisting .pst file, residing in the My Documents directory. I finally succeeded, but with the unwanted consequence that there were TWO personal folder files listed in the navigation pane. At first, they mirrored one another. After some fiddling, the details of which I've forgotten, one functioned as a normal default Outlook data file, while clicking on the second resulted in an error message to the effect that the object could not be found. This occurred even after...