Bad - autodelete of messages from Inbox on Imap account

Yesterday, I asked this over on the m.p.outlook.general group and despite
there being 170+ new messages there today, none was a reply to my question.
  Not even a "must be a user error" type answer.

So I'm asking here too.

I have searched both Google and the msnews. groups and have seen a few
others ask similar questions, but have not yet found an answer.  My
situation is as follows:

OL 2003
Imap server
Preview Pane is OFF
View is set to IMAP Hide marked for Deletion

There are no rules to delete any messages whatsoever - there is in fact,
only 1 rule, which looks for messages with a specific string in the To:
line - those messages are moved to another folder.

When a message comes in with an attachment, it shows up in the list of
messages in the Inbox.  All is well until the user double clicks on the
message to read it.

The window opens and the user can read the message (and open the
attachment).  But as soon as the window opens, I notice (in the background)
window) that the message is marked for deletion.

*This is a very bad thing*
(obviously)

What can I do to prevent this from happening?

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes

Also, in trying to fix the problem myself, I have made things worse.

Now, despite the View being set to "Received, Grouped, and "Hide marked for
delete"", the messages which are marked for deletion are still being
displayed in the index (with the line through them).

I am pretty sure I did this when I went to the "Customize" and saw a filter
in place and removed it. How can I fix this that I screwed up?

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Chris Barnes wrote:
> Well, I found a way to fix the problem, but I still don't know why it
> occurred in the first place. The fix was crude - basically, I moved the
> files from C:\D&S\userid\AppData\MS\Outlook\* to a \Temp folder. This
> effectively wipes out all of the OL settings. I also (for safety's sake),
> copied the .pst file to a safe location.

Hmmm. I spoke too quickly. After wiping out the OL settings files and
allowing OL to reset them all (which included rebuilding all the settings
that the user likes), things worked fine .... yesterday.

Last night the user logged off. After logging in this morning, the same
problem is back.

That is, when she double clicks on a message with an attachment, the
message is being automatically marked for deletion.

It's been ages since I last tried to contact MS tech support, but I believe
that is my next step (I'm not looking forward to this). Anyone care to give
pointers on how to even begin contacting them for this problem?

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes@tamu.edu                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Solved (for real this time).

Giving the answer since a few folks emailed me privately saying they were
experiencing a similar problem.

Short answer: the messages were being marked as "junk" by Outlook's
anti-spam filters.  Setting the Junk Mail rules to "don't filter" solved
the problem.  Alternatively, adding the address to the "trusted senders"
would also have fixed the problem.

Longer answer:  Something I hadn't noticed is that Outlook has different
menu options for it's junk mail than it's "user defined rules".  The "user
rules" are under Tools | Rules....   But the Junk Mail settings are under
"Actions"  ("Actions"??   WTF is "actions".  Arg!).

The default setting is "low", but apparently that is enough to catch email
generated by our Xerox printer/scanner/copier which sends it's scan jobs as
a .pdf attachment to the user.

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes@tamu.edu                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes

Automated message
hi all i have exch 2003 and xp pro clients.we have a ithelpdesk where people sends requests.I want to create a automated message e.g "Your request was received....We will attend ASAP..." but i don't want to create an out-of-office reply with the wording because the ITHelpdesk is not out of the office . is there anyway where i can create a automated message to go to each user when they send mail. thanks c "Craig from Huguenot" <CraigfromHuguenot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0008E66E-4239-4FC2-AEA3-66D9324BF084@microsoft.com... > hi a...

Cannot access contacts when composing e-mail messages
other posts... I recently upgraded from xp to 7. I run office 2007. I can see all my contact, however, when I go to the different contact books and try and enable the address book the box is greyed out (i.e. it cannot be checked). I have then tried to go to tools->address books - it displays Outlook address book, type "MAPI".... I then try New - additional address books - outlook address books - and I receive the message "This account or directory type already exists and cannot be specified twice." I then tried to delete the "MAPI" address...

Internal messages bouncing
Greetings, After migrating to a new server\domain, any message reply to message created under the old domain bounces. I know why, I just don't know how to fix it. Exchange is using the old AD info to route the message. Is there any way I can safely cahnge the OU etc. in the old internal messages, calendar items etc? - Thanks Specifically, it is the old legacyExchangeDN :-) If you can get the old legacyExchangeDN added to the users account as a Custom address (type X500), then it ought to start working without any other changes. If you have a lot of users, then you'll likely ...

Outlook 2000 Inbox does not show new message until click somewhere
This installation is a 25 user SBS 2000 w/Exchange 2000 sp3. Two user do not show new inbox items until they click somewhere else then the new message show in the inbox. If no movement to another inbox etc. message may take 45minutes to show even internal exchange mail. ?? Bruce We are having the same problems, look 4 or so pages below under the subject strange behaviors for my post. Bryan "BruceB" wrote: > This installation is a 25 user SBS 2000 w/Exchange 2000 sp3. > > Two user do not show new inbox items until they click somewhere else then > the new messag...

Rejected Message File
How come I no longer see the "Deleted Messages" file? It comes in handy for retrieving a message that I deleted by accident. You are referring to OE's Deleted Items folder? Not one created by a Hotmail or IMAP account? -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "bridger" <bridger@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:OHHxiOe2KHA.4016@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How come I no longer see the "Deleted Messages" file? It comes in handy > for retrieving a message that I deleted by accident. > ...

can't change message delivery option
I want to change the message delivery option in Outlook 98 from plain text to HTML, but this isn't possible. Can anyone tell me which registry key I have to change and in what I have to change it? Outlook has been deployed by ODK, but I can't find the location for changing this option and i don't want to redeploy Outlook. Try removing one of these values from their registry (only one will exist depending on your mode): Corporate or Workgroup configuration: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft\Office\8.0\Outlook\Options\Mail\ExchangeEditor Internet Only configuration: HKE...

Quick Campaign sends 2 messages to each recipient
We have been using Quick Campaigns for some time and recently discovered that it is sending 2 messages to every recipient in the marketing list. We use CRM 3.0 on MS SBS-Premium (Exchange for email). Any ideas on what might be the cause? ...

Organizing messages
Dear all, I have an email that entered the junk mail folder by mistake....I clicked on organise and set up this rule:- After messsage arrives from xyz please move to inbox folder. So far so good...yet the mail is still delivered to the Junk mail. Why? Thanks, Danny Did you first right click on the mail in the junk mail folder and under Junk Mail, mark it as not junk? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. Af...

Error Messages #3
Hello all, I am currently using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2002 for emails. I recently received the following error message when I try to refresh my inbox: "Sending and Receiving' reported error(0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: -ERR The requested message could not be converted to an RFC-822 compatible format. Please contact your administrator'" any ideas? ...

View messages blocked by SenderID
Hi. We had enabled SenderID on our Exchange 2003 SP2 server and everything works ok. Is it possible to view all messeges blocked by SenderID? Where? Thanx, R. Messages blocked by SenderID are not archived. You may be able to see some info logged in Application Event Log if you bump up diagnostics logging on Transport, but this wouldn't show you message content. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Rokk" <rostfrei@volja.net> wrote in message news:%23DTOJ6cmG...

Outlook Express Error Message #7
Can't open Outlook Express, I get an error message from Microsoft regarding this file c:\\document\owner\locals~1\temp\werae0.tmp.dir00 \appcomtat.txt ...

Duplicate messages ++++ HELP....
I am using Outlook 2002. Setup with one email account only as on offline user to 5.5 Exchange. When I do the send/receive via dial up I pull down whatever messages are on the Server down to the .PST file. Yet when I dial in again I get the same messages over and over. Again I only have one email account setup on the laptop. And it is setup to work offline with a .PST file. Everything I have read and found pertaining to this is if you have multiple acounts setup under the send/receive. This is not the case here. Getting tired of Microsofts constant change and lack of documentation of ...

Asset depreciation posted to wrong account
I have some items that I changed the account number on. The smartlist shows them in one account, but they are depreciating to another account. Does anyone know how these can be fixed? -- JeannieC Is it a matter of timing between when the depreciation was run and the GL interface was created? The accounts have to be set the way you want them before you run the depreciation routine. If you can see the accounts as you want them; you run the depreciation; and the GL interface is still wrong, then that's a pretty big issue. You may want to test it in a test company. "Jeannie&qu...

Embedded excel are bad rendere

Sending WM_COPY message to IE.
Hello everybody, In short: Sending WM_COPY message from my app to Word, Excel or Notepad works. But sending it to Internet Explorer, Firefox or Outlook Express does not work: the clipboard remains unchanged. In long: I'm writting the following application: - no visible user interface - when the user is over any text on any other app (Word, Access, Internet Explorer, Outlook...), he selects a telephone number, he presses F9, and the computer will make the call to that number for him. (Image you are browsing a hotel's site, you want to contact it, on the web page you see the pho...

2007 PS Project Import
Hello, I am trying to import projects from a 2003PS 2003 to PS 2007 and keep actuals per completed and started tasks. My approach is to save the files locally as .mpp files then open and resave in Project Pro 2007 (locally). Then open up Project Pro, connect to the 2007 server and run the project import via tools/enterprise options/import project to enterprise When going through the project import wizard I am running into an error for some of the resources. For 5 of th 25 resources on the project , the wizard will not "validate" and says "resource nt account...

messages staying in ouitbox
When I try to send emails they are sticking in the ouybox. I have tried the suggestions in help with no luck. Take a look here, it may help: http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm "Idot" <Idot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7110618D-9267-40E5-B41A-8659B27768AB@microsoft.com... > When I try to send emails they are sticking in the ouybox. I have tried > the > suggestions in help with no luck. Idot <Idot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I try to send emails they are sticking in the ouybox. I have > trie...

Outlook rule check for messages not received
I have an email sent to me from the same sender every day. I want to set up an alert for when the message IS NOT received. Any ideas? See the Items.Restriction function. You can restrict the Items collection of a certain folder for instance by the Subject and ReceivedDate. Maybe you can run the code once a day when Outlook starts. For that use the Application_Startup event. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Category Manager - Manage and share your categories: SAM - The Sending Account Manager: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?lang=en> Am We...

recovering messages from MS-O-O-2003 .OST file
Scenario: User fired for various reasons. Deleted Profile from laptop in MS Office Outlook 2003 Deleted (or so they thought) messages on server. I _DO_ have a copy of their .OST file, and want to go into the messages to search for possible "sensitive" subject matter transmitted. With the profile intact, it's easy done by creating Personal Folders, running "offline" and copying .OST file to new Personal Folders. BUT... Is it possible to do, when the Outlook 2003 profile has been deleted? test that tools found from the MSExchange Blog http://hellomate.typepad.com/exch...

trying to reconcile investment accounts
I have just upgraded from Money98 to Money2004. One thing that seems to be missing is a way to balance or reconcile my investment accounts. I DO NOT want to do this by downloading the financials online. Isn't there a way to do this without using the online services? IT seems to only let me reconcile banks and not the retirement and securities accounts. Am I missing something? You're not missing something. You can reconcile the cash portion only. "Getter" <rmgetter@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:060601c3da36$f89e5100$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have just upgraded fr...

Deleting a message from outbox
I have a large email that my server won't send. It's stuck in my outbox in MSO 2003. I can't delete it or move it. How do I delete it? Thank you! John Put Outlook into offline mode. To do this go to File-> Work Offline. Now restart Outlook and see if you can delete it. Don't forget to put Outlook back On-line again. For additional options see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- &quo...

error message 12-03-09
Every time I try to open a url from an email message, I get an error message telling me that window can not open it. But if I click off the error message and try to open the url again, it will open. Any body know why?? Thanks Actually the error message states that "Windows can not find the URL." thanks, dljfnp "dljfnp" wrote: > Every time I try to open a url from an email message, I get an error message > telling me that window can not open it. But if I click off the error message > and try to open the url again, it will open. Any body know why?? ...

when sending html messages from outlook 2002 to outlook 2000 part of the message
When a message is sent from outlook 2002 user to outlook2000 user in html format, part of the message does not appear on the reciepients screen. ...

POP account removal
Many of our users have a pop account that they use to use for external mail. Now that external mail goes though exchange they no longer need this account. Does anyone know of a way I can remove this via scrip so that we do not have to go to each users desktop. None of the pop accounts are names the same thing and they are in outlook 2000/xp Any help would be great. "Shane" <Shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3BD1F62-D41D-4C03-8E12-D714FB67AE91@microsoft.com... > Many of our users have a pop account that they use to use for external > mail. >...

Is HQ good or bad?
I would like to hear from people who have set up and use HQ, weather it's been good and easy to use, or is it more of a hassle to use? Do you need to set up everything for all the stores through HQ, or can each individual store do it's own things, and with HQ someone can basically overlook things, make sure all stores are being operated properly? -- Thank You Vince :) I am fighting through my first HQ deployment right now. So far, here's what I think I know... HQ maintains a master list of inventory items. If the inventory at Store A is substantially different than at...