Backup .pst files #2

Hi,

I have around 20 users running Outlook 2000 all with their own .pst
files held locally on either PCs or laptops. I would like to move
these .pst files to a central server so that they are backed up every
night. The problem with this is that if the server goes down or a
laptop is moved off site, they don't see their email untill they are
reconnected to the server.

Is there a way to have their .pst file on the server and held locally
and any changes are made to both copies. Also, if a user goes off site
and sends/receives new email, can these changes to their local .pst
file be replicated to the central copy on the server?

I've heard IMAP does something like this rather than POP3.

Any ideas? Thanks, Pete.

Sounds like you want to have an Exchange Server with Offline folders as
opposed to POP3 with PSTs. Even IMAP requires a local PST file (which I'm
not sure you can move reliably).

"Peter Harding" <peterharding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have around 20 users running Outlook 2000 all with their own .pst
> files held locally on either PCs or laptops. I would like to move
> these .pst files to a central server so that they are backed up every
> night. The problem with this is that if the server goes down or a
> laptop is moved off site, they don't see their email untill they are
> reconnected to the server.
>
> Is there a way to have their .pst file on the server and held locally
> and any changes are made to both copies. Also, if a user goes off site
> and sends/receives new email, can these changes to their local .pst
> file be replicated to the central copy on the server?
>
> I've heard IMAP does something like this rather than POP3.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks, Pete.

0
vince8328 (2733)

How do attachments fill PST file?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9013C.121CC270 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do attachments fill PST file? Office 2007 If I understand correctly, Outlook stores email attachments in the PST = file. I receive numerous good size email attachments. It would seem that = this would swell up the PST file rather quickly. In Eudora, the = attachments are placed as individual files in a directory. Does Outlook compress the attachments in the PST file? Is there a way to see what att...

How to use solver to solve for 2 unknown in a linear equation?
How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, x + Y = 1 3x + 4Y =7 Thanks Mike One way: A1: 1 B1: 1 C1: =A1 + B1 D1: =3*A1 + 4*B1 Set Target Cell = D1 Equal to Value of 7 By changing cells: A1:B1 Subject to the Constraints: $C$1 = 1 In article <84B8D8D5-95FE-41E1-B55C-B0850F5FB06B@microsoft.com>, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How to use Excel to solve for 2 unknown in linear equation, for eg, > > x + Y = 1 > 3x + 4Y =7 > > Thanks > Mike Solver. Does it mean "Goal Seak" in Excel ...

Circular logging Log files full
I have an issue with the logs files filled up and out of drive space because our backup is not running complete right now. I have one of our guys working on getting the backup running but in the mean time i have turned on Circular logging on our front end server. The problem is i am now receiving email from the outside. But i cannot send out and the Queu's are getting filled up and not kicking anything through to the outside world. How do i get the Queue to start kicking out. We are running Exchange 2003 with SP2 and have one front end server and 2 clustered inside and 4 other not c...

Save publisher 2000 file as pdf?
I have created a flyer with logos in my publisher 2000. How can I save or convert it to PDF? Is my program too old to do that? Thanks! Several in this news group speak highly of Primopdf, a free program that will create a pdf file from any program. It installs as a printer and when you have the Publisher file open, select File, Print and then from the printer drop down menu, select PrimoPDF and it makes a copy of you Publisher file to a PDF file. www.primopdf.com I'm guessing you have a pdf reader/viewer. If not, a new excellent viewer is PDF Viewer by Tracker Software. http:...

Problems with IE8 and .js files
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate and IE 8 (8.0.7600.16385). Had been working with IE8 on Vista Enterprise for some time with no problem. Installed Windows 7 and after a few weeks now I am experiencing problems with some pages that use Javascript. I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything was ok, after a few hours problem is back. Seems like an update is messing up things. I get messages like: 'objName' is not null or not an object. or Object doesn't support this property or method. I have tried using compatibility view and no luck. Any comment or suggestion will be hi...

Can you retrieve-If you DELETE the file 'Inbox' from the Recycle bin on desktop
I was trying to delete some files that involved several pop-up banner ads & windows from interfering with my search for telecommuting jobs. While clicking around on the internet, somehow this SPYWARE program began to write itself on to my hard drive, so I went into Windows Explorer to FIND FILES or FOLDERS to find it & DELETE whatever was associated with it! Well, in the process, I ended up sending these files to the RECYCLE BIN on my desktop to get rid of them. However, in the process of DELETING them, I also deleted a file 'Inbox' that I thought was part of the p...

Text to column #2
Is there a quick way to separate the below column into letter and part#(hundreds of rows)? from: IC19-004-01 TRS30-000-01 C12-001-01 27-044-01 To: IC 19-004-01 TRS 30-000-01 C 12-001-01 27-044-01 Hi, Not the most elegant solution I'm afraid, but it appears to work. if your list starts in A1, then in B1 one enter: =IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,1,1))),1,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,2,1))),2,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,3,1))),3,IF(ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(A1,4,1))),4)))) in c1 enter =LEFT(A1,B1-1) and in d1 enter =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-B1+1) Highlight cells b1, c1 and d1 and drag down th...

Can No Longer Save File
Greetings, I hope someone can help me. I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000 (I use Publisher for all my marketing & advertising). I've used this particular file for a couple years. However, it has grown to the size of 276 MB. I can open the file, I can make edits, but I cannot save it any more. I tried saving it onto a CD but that failed too. I've tried closing all other applications but the file in question & its still no use. Running XP Home SP2 on P4 CPU 2.00 GHz RAM 256 MB Local Disk (C:) total size 27.9 GB, free space 2.72 GB I've posted in the Wind...

Transferring a file
Hi, I want to transfer a file generated from great plains to a FTP server ,i don't know how to acess a FTP through dexterity . please advice Thanks in advance Interesting scenario... I think I'd look at finding a COM object/library or ..Net assembly that could do the communicating, and use that. Haven't needed something like that, but I'm sure they're out there. If not, I guess you could roll your own, if you know another programming language as well. There's on-line help and manuals on talking to external libraries. The fun will be getting that extern...

stm file size is problem..
I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i reduce this file size ? Please, help me. Hi Jan, "jan" <jan@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96EBE861-3FFC-46EA-AD26-2D23A5542441@microsoft.com... >I have a problem with priv1.stm file's size. It grows continuesly, and > exchange server disk space 11 GB. priv1.stm's size is 9.6 GB. How can i > reduce this file size ? Please, help me. You can use eseutil to make an offline defrag. Howev...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Outlook 2003: 2 Users share 1 inbox, 1 POP/SMTP acct w/o Exchange Server?
My wife and I need to share a common Inbox in OL 2003. ( One logon at a time) We have seperate "contact Lists / Address Books" however we can share common In-Box sub-folders for saved email. We're not a business and I don't see a need for an "exchange server." How can this be done in Outlook 2003? It came with our new system. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook &am...

VBA: Open Most Current File In Specified Folder
I'm setting up a module that will grab a specific .xls and organize it for production as well as load the information into Crystal for archiving. In the past, I have always directed the user to save the .xls as "AnyFileName" in a specific folder and the module would pick it up at a scheduled time. This has me relying on the user to not make any mistakes in naming the file. Is there a produre in VBA that will open the most current file in a specified folder? The macro below should work OK. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP Sub FindNewestFile() With Application.FileSearch '// ...

Executing specific files at a certain time of the day.
Do you know of any software that can be programmed to launch certain files at certain times of the day? For example: At 9:00am it will execute 900am.exe and at 9:30am it will execute 930am.exe and so on. I am looking for any software or custom program that can launch any file I choose at the time that I choose. Thank you in advance for any help you can give, Mike You can use scheduled tasks, which is provided by windows, on the control panel. "Mike Smith" <mike@wn2000.com> wrote in message news:4c5e01c34176$935455f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Do you know of any softwa...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Populate a .eml file
Is it possible to use mail merge in a .eml file using outlook? By this I mean, could I have outlook 1.Automatically email, say, ten different addresses, unattended by me and 2. Populate fields within the body of the email, based on a database or excel spreadsheet? Thanks, Ike It sounds like you are talking about a mail merge, and no, you cannot run one unattended. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and f...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

Pub 2000 Reinstall question (part 2)
To catch everybody up I'll post my original request below and the reply I received from Brian, then my new problem/question. |||| I have Windows Office XP Small Business Edition (Publisher 2002) |||| and Windows XP. |||| |||| I previously had Publisher 2000 installed but when installing the Office XP |||| package I let it overwrite/replace the 2000 version. |||| To get some features I've decided to reinstall Pub 2000 and have both Pub |||| 2000 and Pub 2002 installed. |||| |||| When I run Setup.exe on the Pub2000 CDRom I get a window that says |||| the install is running in Mai...

Deleting Specific Rows #2
I use a spreadsheet for taking orders on the phone. The spreadsheet has all of the items we carry listed on it. At the end of the sale I have to delete the columns that have no value in them so I can print the worksheet at a size that can be read. Is there a way to automatically delete those cells without having to select and delete them individually? Use Data>AUtofilter to show the blanks, then delete all visible rows. -- HTH Bob Phillips "ScaffoldingDepot" <ScaffoldingDepot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E805CC80-6847-405A-9E14-0E7B8B18D234@micr...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

HELP! Need to save in Excel 2.1 format
Hi I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format files. How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? I'd really appreciate any input, even link to some external convert program. Thanks Hi, Why you don't try to save it as excel 5.0 It should work when saving as scroll almost to the bottom there you will find excel 5.0 "Poppe" wrote: > Hi > > I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format > files. > > How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? > > I'd really appreciate any input,...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

App_hang on splitting E-file transaction
OS: Vista 64bit I keep getting an app_hang when I try to split a downloaded transaction into 2 other split transactions. Specifically, the 2 splits are loan payments (hence split into interest + principal) written on a single check. Whenever I go to change the downloaded cleared check to reference the 2 seperate loan payments, the application hangs. When I re-start money the transaction keeps getting downloaded again and then hangs the app again when I try to split. You should fix that :P ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the sugges...

New Software Development Articles Directory #2
A new links directory of articles related to software development is "under construction" on http://www.softdevarticles.com/ Please feel free to use it in you next research and to contribute with your articles on XML and .NET ...