Automatic Send/Receive doesn't work #2

I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003) and
all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to receive
any emails.

It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit

Any ideas why this wouldn't work ?

TIA

JM

0
jjmatt (3)

It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do
not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If
automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what
changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working.

In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook:
1. You have created an unrealistic polling interval. Many users set their
polling interval to 1 minute thinking they will be downloading mail
continuously as it arrives. Such settings are not recommended. They put an
unnecessary strain on mail servers and can create conflicting polling
requests that can damage your Send/Receive Group or even your account
settings. 10 minutes is the recommended minimum.
2. While exiting Outlook, you inadvertently set your profile to Work Offline
(this option is immediately above the Exit command in the File menu).
3. You have a damaged Send/Receive Group as documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q312/3/36.asp
4. You have overridden your Send/Receive Group settings as documented here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q320/8/36.asp
5. Your mail account settings are corrupt. Recreate your mail account from
scratch.
6. Firewall software is blocking your transmission. Disable your Firewall
temporarily to see if automatic polling is restored.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jimbo" <jjmatt@davtv.com> wrote in message
>I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003) and
>all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to
>receive any emails.
>
> It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit
>
> Any ideas why this wouldn't work ?
>
> TIA
>
> JM

0
russval1 (2100)
6/15/2007 7:53:13 PM
what type of email account?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Jimbo" <jjmatt@davtv.com> wrote in message
>I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003) and
>all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to
>receive any emails.
>
> It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit
>
> Any ideas why this wouldn't work ?
>
> TIA
>
> JM

0
outlookmvp (5838)
6/15/2007 7:56:55 PM
Thanks for your replies

The account is a POP3, using a Cable Internet connection.

The settings in Tools--> Options --> Send/Receive are simply "Include this
Group in Send/receive" and "Schedule an automatic send/receive every 5
minutes

I have not "overriden" the settings described in the KB article - though I
do not see any place to do so

Outlook is not offline

Thanks again

Thanks for your help
"Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> what type of email account?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Jimbo" <jjmatt@davtv.com> wrote in message
>>I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003)
>>and all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to
>>receive any emails.
>>
>> It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit
>>
>> Any ideas why this wouldn't work ?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> JM

0
jjmatt (3)
6/15/2007 9:11:24 PM
5 minutes is certainly not realistic.
Check your settings. Problem is most likely on your side of things. I know
of no other causes than the ones I posted.
--
> Thanks for your replies
>
> The account is a POP3, using a Cable Internet connection.
>
> The settings in Tools--> Options --> Send/Receive are simply "Include this
> Group in Send/receive" and "Schedule an automatic send/receive every 5
> minutes
>
> I have not "overriden" the settings described in the KB article - though I
> do not see any place to do so
>
> Outlook is not offline
>
> Thanks again
>
> Thanks for your help
> "Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> what type of email account?
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>>
>> Outlook Tips by email:
>> dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net

>> "Jimbo" <jjmatt@davtv.com> wrote in message
>>>I installed Outlook 2003 on my friend's computer (actually Office 2003)
>>>and all works well, except that he has to click "send/receive for him to
>>>receive any emails.
>>>
>>> It is set to do a send/receive every 5 minutes, as well as at exit
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this wouldn't work ?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> JM

0
russval1 (2100)

Can't send email in Outlook 2002
After clicking on send, I got the following error message: The operation failed due to network or other commuication problems. Check your connection and try again. I was able to receive email. What gives? Are you connected to Exchange or is this a connection to your ISP? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Marian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b65c01c4500d$9c0ab1c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After clicking on send, I got...

sending email #14
When sending a new email in Outlook 2003 I start typing the recipients name in the To: field, rather than selecting it from the GAl. For certain recipients, multiple aliases appear in the drop down box. Depending on the name selected the email may not be delivered at all. Is there a way to clear/update the address book cache, if you will, to only have the correct alias appear? Thanks in advance, Aaron Neunz On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:00:31 -1000, Aaron Neunz <apn@rrbiznet.com> wrote: > When sending a new email in Outlook 2003 I start typing the recipients > name > in...

Integration Manager+Receivable Management+Batches
I have used the Integration Manager to import my history in to the Receivables Module. This has created many batches that begin with "RMCSH". Can I safely remove these batches without affecting my Receivables balances? ...

How do I correct a link error inside received emails?
Almost every link I receive in emails results in a "general error" popup that says it's a bad link, but then the linked page loads in my browser. Any ideas about how I can get rid of this popup? ...

Net send
Hello, I have designed a userform in excel that allow's a user to send messages via Windows "net send" facility. I would like to expand on this concept and allow users who have access to the tool to be able to communicate via the userform - a homemade messenger so to speak. I'm guessing this is extremely difficult, if not impossible to do but thought it was worth investigating, is it possible for excel to capture a "net send" message received on the PC it's loaded on, and then display it in a userform? If it's possible how would I do it? Thanks ...

Shortcut #2
Hi I am using Excel 2000 SP3 is there a shortcut for mrerging cells in a column? thanks Daniel Select the cells to merge and then hit the Merge and Center icon on the formatting toolbar. (Then hit the justification icon to make it the way you want.) Daniel - Sydney wrote: > > Hi > > I am using Excel 2000 SP3 > is there a shortcut for mrerging cells in a column? > > thanks > > Daniel -- Dave Peterson Thanks for your help, I was hoping there was a Keyboard Shortcut. obvioulsy not Daniel "Dave Peterson" wrote: > Select the cells to merge and ...

The note ID has not been set #2
I write the text in the note window in the Payroll Employee Setup - Canada window. And when i try to close the note window, i have this message: The note ID has not been set. ? ...

Automatic CC

Automatic axis format

Work Book Category Expanders
I need to create a workbook that has expanders on the vertical numbered row in a blank Excel document. I don't know what these expanders are actually called, but they look like little boxes with plus signs on them (+). Can anybody help me or point me in the direction of resources to format a workbook with these expanders. Much appreciated. Hi, Wendy. Try Data-->Subtotals (see http://www.officearticles.com/excel/getting_subtotals_in_microsoft_excel.htm) or Data-->Group and outline. ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microso...

Distribuiton list sending from worng e-mail address
I am using Outlook 2000 (its old but it works), it is not connected to an exchange server. Everytime I make a distribution list it use the wrong e-mail address for the sender address, but I don't get offered the opportunity to enter an e- mail address. I have two e-mail address setup in Outlook, one I use all the time and the other one which I use about twice every 6 months and to use it I have to go into Tools > Services to change profile if I want to send and receive from said e-mail address. So why is the distribution list sending from the wrong address?? Tim...

please correct these 2 issues
Task 'pop.registeredsite.com - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' Task 'pop.registeredsite.com - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0B) : 'Unknown Error 0x800CCC0B' I am trying to send an email with a movie attachment. also please email your suggestions if you could thanks! Hi - I doubt we can correct these issues from here! How big is this file?...

Templates #2
I would like to use some of the templates that I found on the main Microsoft site, but I don't know how to import them. Does anyone know how to import templates made for the windows based program so I can use them with office 2004. Thanks in advance. Yah I tried the Mac office website, none of the templates are usable for me. I see some that are on the windows web site and I figured I would tweak them for my use. I will keep at it, none of the newer ones seem to work I get an "in use or invalid document error" when I try to use them. Stuffit will extract the Cab files but Word ...

Outlook 2003 will not receive
I am trying to run Outlook 2003 (just upgraded Office XP to 2003) on Windows XP Pro. The "Test Account Settings" button connects to SMTP and POP servers and finds no problems, Outlook sends mail OK, but will not receive. I am trying to connect through a LAN via ADSL. I have turned of my Firewall and Virus scanner. On all 4 of the POP accounts from which the previous version of Outlook was receiving I now get a message of the form: "Task 'F2S - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network... " Forte Agent...

is there a way to send out an email at a prescheduled time?
Say today I have written an email to congratulate somebody for a certain future event -- such as giving baby, etc... Is there a way to time my email? Thanks a lot! click on Options when composing the message - depending on your version and account type, the message will be sent at the time specified. Test it first to see how it works with your combination. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http:/...

Statements #2

Compare 2 spreadsheets dump differences into a new sheet.
Good afternoon I would like to have some idea of the VBA code to compare 2 spreadsheets "old" and "new" and then dump the differences into a new sheet -may be named: "changes"- created by the code. If somebody can help me with this I'll be very grateful. Thanks in advance and greetings. Look for Compare.xla on this site http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/whatsnew.htm "Apprentice" wrote: > Good afternoon > > I would like to have some idea of the VBA code to compare 2 spreadsheets > "old" and "new" and then dump ...