Autocomplete in Outlook 2003

We have just upgraded from Office 2000 to office 2003.
Previously Outlook would auto complete the email
addresses. Despite having all the correct boxes ticked as
per the Outlook 2003 help pages, previously entered email
addresses still will not auto complete meaning we have to
go to the address book to get them every time. This is an
irritation to us. Is there a problem with this when
upgrading Office rather than doing a fresh install? Is
there a fix (however all updates have been downloaded
from the Office update site. Any help would be
appreciated.
0
anonymous (74721)

Not quite.
Outlook 2000 had no autocomplete feature. It only had an autoresolution
feature (automatic name checking).
Outlook 2003 has both an autocompletion and an autoresolution feature. The
former uses a cache of names that is populated only after you send messages
not your Contacts data, so you will not see it working at first. Your
autoresolution feature will work the same unless you have not configured
your profile correctly.

You posted no details as to what it is you think isn't working, so I can't
help further with your confusion.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"DaveB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have just upgraded from Office 2000 to office 2003.
> Previously Outlook would auto complete the email
> addresses. Despite having all the correct boxes ticked as
> per the Outlook 2003 help pages, previously entered email
> addresses still will not auto complete meaning we have to
> go to the address book to get them every time. This is an
> irritation to us. Is there a problem with this when
> upgrading Office rather than doing a fresh install? Is
> there a fix (however all updates have been downloaded
> from the Office update site. Any help would be
> appreciated.

0
russval (3097)
7/1/2004 9:58:54 AM
yes thanks Russ.
Yes I amaware of the cacheof names. However after about
four days now the names are still not auto completeing.
Ie you start typing the name and after a few characters
the name is inserted. It worked fine under 2000 but under
the new outlook it doesn't seem to want to work. We send
about a hundred and odd messages a day and most of them
are to repeat clients and contacts so this feature is a
real must for us. We can't understand why its not
working. We'rerunning windows xp which is fully up to
date with all packs and patches, Office 2000 upgraded to
2003 again fully patched. Any more sugesstions? The 2003
office gave an option of upgrade or fresh install. We
ticked upgrade thinking that was the only option we had
with office 2003 upgrade version. Right or Wrong?

0
anonymous (74721)
7/1/2004 1:15:27 PM
1) find and rename or delete *.nick files from your profile folder
(C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook)
2) if that doesn't fix it, delete or rename all files in the folder
3) or make a new profile (don't copy the old one).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in the
Slipstick Ratings Raffle at http://www.slipstick.com/contest/

> yes thanks Russ.
> Yes I amaware of the cacheof names. However after about
> four days now the names are still not auto completeing.
> Ie you start typing the name and after a few characters
> the name is inserted. It worked fine under 2000 but under
> the new outlook it doesn't seem to want to work. We send
> about a hundred and odd messages a day and most of them
> are to repeat clients and contacts so this feature is a
> real must for us. We can't understand why its not
> working. We'rerunning windows xp which is fully up to
> date with all packs and patches, Office 2000 upgraded to
> 2003 again fully patched. Any more sugesstions? The 2003
> office gave an option of upgrade or fresh install. We
> ticked upgrade thinking that was the only option we had
> with office 2003 upgrade version. Right or Wrong?

0
info2937 (567)
7/1/2004 1:50:37 PM
Thanks. however can't find any profile in outlook and
have a done a search for *.nick but nothing returned.

Guide)
>Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual
QuickStart Guide)

>Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:
http://www.slipstick.com
tips.net/

>Vote for your favorite Outlook and Exchange utilities in
the
>Slipstick Ratings Raffle at
http://www.slipstick.com/contest/

>> yes thanks Russ.
>> Yes I amaware of the cacheof names. However after about
>> four days now the names are still not auto completeing.
>> Ie you start typing the name and after a few characters
>> the name is inserted. It worked fine under 2000 but
under
>> the new outlook it doesn't seem to want to work. We
send
>> about a hundred and odd messages a day and most of them
>> are to repeat clients and contacts so this feature is a
>> real must for us. We can't understand why its not
>> working. We'rerunning windows xp which is fully up to
>> date with all packs and patches, Office 2000 upgraded
>> 2003 again fully patched. Any more sugesstions? The
2003
>> office gave an option of upgrade or fresh install. We
>> ticked upgrade thinking that was the only option we had
>> with office 2003 upgrade version. Right or Wrong?

0
anonymous (74721)
7/1/2004 2:55:27 PM
DaveB,

We developed utility that enables users to open, add, edit, delete this
autocomplete information.  Our "Add" features was a one at a time process.
We've received so many requests that we are adding an "import" feature that
will be tailored for reading Outlook Contact Export files (TEXT and CSV
formats) and import them into your autocomplete file.

This feature is NOT complete, but will be added any day.

If you want to write me directly, I can e-mail you when that feature is in
our Owtlook Autocomplete file editor.  You can find us at
www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm

Randy McNees
rmcnees(removethis)@dcs-imaging.com
"DaveB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have just upgraded from Office 2000 to office 2003.
> Previously Outlook would auto complete the email
> addresses. Despite having all the correct boxes ticked as
> per the Outlook 2003 help pages, previously entered email
> addresses still will not auto complete meaning we have to
> go to the address book to get them every time. This is an
> irritation to us. Is there a problem with this when
> upgrading Office rather than doing a fresh install? Is
> there a fix (however all updates have been downloaded
> from the Office update site. Any help would be
> appreciated.

There's a lot of mystery surrounding the autocomplete feature in MS Outlook.

A few facts that all the MVP's know, but we everyday users do not.

Here they are:

Your autocomplete data is stored in a file with an extension of NK2.  The
beginning part of the file name is identical to the "Profile Name" that was
created.

If your profile becomes corrupted and it is suggested that you delete it and
create a new one, your NK2 file remains in tact.  Yes, the information is
still available.

If you need this information, you have two simple choices.  Create the New
Profile with the same EXACT name as the one you deleted, or find the old NK2
file and rename it so that it bears the same name as the Profile that you
created.  (You will have to delete the newly created NK2 file so that the
rename will be successful)

If you find the need to be able to open, edit, add and delete info. from
this file, we wrote a utility known as Owtlook Autocomplete file editor.  We
are working on a file "import utility" so that contacts from almost any
source can be imported into the NK2 file.  Specifically, we are directing
our efforts at providing a quick and easy utility to import your Contact
Folder information into your Autocomplete file.

For more information on this product, you may contact me at
rmcnees(removethis)@dcs-imaging.com.  You can also review a demo copy at:

> Thanks. however can't find any profile in outlook and
> have a done a search for *.nick but nothing returned.

That's because they will appear as <Profile Name>.NK2 files in Outlook 2003,
not .NICK files.

Renaming the NK2 file will force Outlook to create a new one and repair the
connection between the profile and the NK2 file. For most people, that's a
perfectly good solution, but it leaves all your previous autocompletion data
stranded in the renamed file--no big deal for you because if you've just
started using it, you're not losing much data.

But when this happens to people who have come to rely on a sizable
autocompletion cache, it's a pain. For them, it may be better to create a
new Outlook Profile. Then rename the new NK2 file that the new Profile
created and rename their old NK2 file to match the new Profile. That should
put them back in business with all their old autocompletion data intact.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Thanks. however can't find any profile in outlook and
> have a done a search for *.nick but nothing returned.

0
russval (3097)
7/1/2004 9:24:41 PM
I don't think you can create a new profile with the same name as the old
one. It wouldn't be a new profile then. The second option you mention should
work, though.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you need this information, you have two simple choices.  Create the New
> Profile with the same EXACT name as the one you deleted, or find the old
NK2
> file and rename it so that it bears the same name as the Profile that you
> created.  (You will have to delete the newly created NK2 file so that the
> rename will be successful)
>
> If you find the need to be able to open, edit, add and delete info. from
> this file, we wrote a utility known as Owtlook Autocomplete file editor.
We
> are working on a file "import utility" so that contacts from almost any
> source can be imported into the NK2 file.  Specifically, we are directing
> our efforts at providing a quick and easy utility to import your Contact
> Folder information into your Autocomplete file.
>
> For more information on this product, you may contact me at
> rmcnees(removethis)@dcs-imaging.com.  You can also review a demo copy at:
> www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm
>

> Randy McNees
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. however can't find any profile in outlook and
> > have a done a search for *.nick but nothing returned.

0
russval (3097)
7/1/2004 9:27:32 PM
Russ,

While I haven't been able to test this with a corrupted profile, since we
are new to these profiles and haven't had one become corrupted, deleting and
re-creating "seemed" to work fine.  However, creating a new profile and
renaming NK2 file to match should work just as well.

Randy
> I don't think you can create a new profile with the same name as the old
> one. It wouldn't be a new profile then. The second option you mention
should
> work, though.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If you need this information, you have two simple choices.  Create the
New
> > Profile with the same EXACT name as the one you deleted, or find the old
> NK2
> > file and rename it so that it bears the same name as the Profile that
you
> > created.  (You will have to delete the newly created NK2 file so that
the
> > rename will be successful)
> >
> > If you find the need to be able to open, edit, add and delete info. from
> > this file, we wrote a utility known as Owtlook Autocomplete file editor.
> We
> > are working on a file "import utility" so that contacts from almost any
> > source can be imported into the NK2 file.  Specifically, we are
directing
> > our efforts at providing a quick and easy utility to import your Contact
> > Folder information into your Autocomplete file.
> >
> > For more information on this product, you may contact me at
> > rmcnees(removethis)@dcs-imaging.com.  You can also review a demo copy
at:
> > www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm
> >

> > Randy McNees
> > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks. however can't find any profile in outlook and
> > > have a done a search for *.nick but nothing returned.

The only problem with renaming a new profile with the same name as an old
one is that it may not reset the registry entries and connections that need
to be reset once a profile becomes corrupt.
--
> Russ,
>
> While I haven't been able to test this with a corrupted profile, since we
> are new to these profiles and haven't had one become corrupted, deleting
and
> re-creating "seemed" to work fine.  However, creating a new profile and
> renaming NK2 file to match should work just as well.
>
> Randy
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > I don't think you can create a new profile with the same name as the old
> > one. It wouldn't be a new profile then. The second option you mention
> should
> > work, though.
> > --
> > Russ Valentine
> > [MVP-Outlook]
> > "Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > If you need this information, you have two simple choices.  Create the
> New
> > > Profile with the same EXACT name as the one you deleted, or find the
old
> > NK2
> > > file and rename it so that it bears the same name as the Profile that
> you
> > > created.  (You will have to delete the newly created NK2 file so that
> the
> > > rename will be successful)
> > >
> > > If you find the need to be able to open, edit, add and delete info.
from
> > > this file, we wrote a utility known as Owtlook Autocomplete file
editor.
> > We
> > > are working on a file "import utility" so that contacts from almost
any
> > > source can be imported into the NK2 file.  Specifically, we are
> directing
> > > our efforts at providing a quick and easy utility to import your
Contact
> > > Folder information into your Autocomplete file.
> > >
> > > For more information on this product, you may contact me at
> > > rmcnees(removethis)@dcs-imaging.com.  You can also review a demo copy
> at:
> > > www.dcs-imaging.com/products.htm
> > >

> > > Randy McNees
> > > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
russval (3097)
7/2/2004 3:36:38 AM
Russ,

Point well taken.  As I mentioned, we're too new using profiles to have had
a problem, so everything is more theory than practice.

Ran
> The only problem with renaming a new profile with the same name as an old
> one is that it may not reset the registry entries and connections that
need
> to be reset once a profile becomes corrupt.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Russ,
> >
> > While I haven't been able to test this with a corrupted profile, since
we
> > are new to these profiles and haven't had one become corrupted, deleting
> and
> > re-creating "seemed" to work fine.  However, creating a new profile and
> > renaming NK2 file to match should work just as well.
> >
> > Randy
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > > I don't think you can create a new profile with the same name as the
old
> > > one. It wouldn't be a new profile then. The second option you mention
> > should
> > > work, though.
> > > --
> > > Russ Valentine
> > > [MVP-Outlook]
> > > "Randy" <boatman180removethis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > New
> old
> > > NK2
> > you
> > the

> from
> editor.
> > > We
> any
> > directing
> Contact

> > at:

Attachments with Outlook
I receive many emails with large attachments and outlook seems to copy the attachments down twice which causes long delays. When I first select an email with an attachment I have to wait while Outlook downloads the attachment, then when I want to see the attachment I have to wait while it is downloaded again. Is there any way of preventing this dual download? I have the fastest network connection available in my location. Thanks Brian ...

Outlook Mobile Access Problem

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

can't send anything in Outlook 2002

outlook 2007 runs slow

Frontpage 2003 or Publisher 2003 ?
Which one should I use? I am not familiar with Publisher. I am familiar with FrontPage. What kind of support is needed on the server side for a web ? cgi? etc. Any info or a link to some info appreciated. Hi Cracker Jacks (cjacks<nospamz)@verizon.net), in the newsgroups you posted: || Which one should I use? I am not familiar with Publisher. I am || familiar with FrontPage. What kind of support is needed on the || server side for a web ? cgi? etc. Any info or a link to some info || appreciated. I recommend FrontPage 2003. FrontPage 2003 doesn't REQUIRE FrontPage Server extensions,...

outlook 2000 help file

MSN accounts dosen't work in Outlook.

Outlook 2003

Excel Crash

Outlook 2003 Contact data

Outlook 2002/XP Folder List view question

outlook should let me move emails from sent to a specific folder
It only allows copies to be moved to specific folders and not the actual mail itself - this creates unnecssary copies and makes everything confusing. Can't there also be a SIMPLE rules wizard like in outlook 2002? I find this new wizard too cumbersome and complex. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and the...

concurrent instances (or profiles) of outlook
Hi, Is it possible to have two instances of Outlook running at the same time? Or maybe have two Outlook profiles accessable at the same time? I have two mail accounts and want to keep them seperate and want to use Outlook for both. But I don't know how so right now I'm using Outlook Express for one and Outlook for the other. Thanks for any advise, Rob No, you cannot run 2 instances of Outlook nor can you have 2 profiles open at the same time. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus n...

Outlook 2000 #147
Outlook 2000 Everytime I open outlook I receive error: Outlook generated error and will be closed by windows. I can open in safe mode and I can also open in express. I have tried renaming extend.dat file, removed checks from add-in tab and changed profiles. I have even tried re-installing. Can anyone help me. This is a long shot but have you tried using a fresh PST file? "Pam" wrote: > Outlook 2000 > > Everytime I open outlook I receive error: Outlook > generated error and will be closed by windows. I can open > in safe mode and I can also open in expre...

Format for Flashcards for MS Word & PPS 2003
Can anyone help me in sending me a Flashcard template so as to learn Chinese Characters, Pinyin, English. Compatible with MS Word 2003 & Power Point 2003. Any Tips or Ticks or general Knowledge in this area to improve learning through Flash Cards is more than Welcome. ...

Outlook 2003
Just upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Everything seems to be working OK !! BUT ! On the Outlook Today screen no images are shown. If I go into the customise option, there are no images shown for the various styles. Also any changes I make in Outlook today options are not saved.. Any Ideas ??? ...

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail