Auto- or Manual- Archive from IMAP to the Archive Folders doesn't work?

Hello,

We have one user using Outlook 2007 who's connected to our corporate
mailserver via IMAP. Globally, he's configured the autoarchive to run
every day and run on messages older than Jan 15 in the Inbox and Sent
Items. He has plenty of such messages. He's using the "default archive
settings" at individual folder level.

When he clicks on File - Archive to run it manually, it briefly says
"archiving" in the corner, then stops. No messages at all appear in
the Archive Folders. Running it automatically produces the same
result.

I changed the IMAP settings to download everything (was originally
headers only) but still no joy.

Any ideas please? The user is a VIP so help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Alan.

0
bruguy (167)

Archiving works on the modified date of an item, not the sent date, received
date, etc.  Check the modified dates of the items that are not archiving
properly and see if that's the reason.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

"Alan" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have one user using Outlook 2007 who's connected to our corporate
> mailserver via IMAP. Globally, he's configured the autoarchive to run
> every day and run on messages older than Jan 15 in the Inbox and Sent
> Items. He has plenty of such messages. He's using the "default archive
> settings" at individual folder level.
>
> When he clicks on File - Archive to run it manually, it briefly says
> "archiving" in the corner, then stops. No messages at all appear in
> the Archive Folders. Running it automatically produces the same
> result.
>
> I changed the IMAP settings to download everything (was originally
> headers only) but still no joy.
>
> Any ideas please? The user is a VIP so help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

How big is his Inbox? Did you try archiving to a new PST? As a temp
workaround, can he get into webmail or use Thunderbird, while you
troubleshoot?

Would switching to Thunderbird be an option?

Alan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have one user using Outlook 2007 who's connected to our corporate
> mailserver via IMAP. Globally, he's configured the autoarchive to run
> every day and run on messages older than Jan 15 in the Inbox and Sent
> Items. He has plenty of such messages. He's using the "default archive
> settings" at individual folder level.
>
> When he clicks on File - Archive to run it manually, it briefly says
> "archiving" in the corner, then stops. No messages at all appear in
> the Archive Folders. Running it automatically produces the same
> result.
>
> I changed the IMAP settings to download everything (was originally
> headers only) but still no joy.
>
> Any ideas please? The user is a VIP so help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

0
unsettled (17)
2/17/2007 6:21:24 AM
Thanks, that was the reason. I added a column to display the modified
time and it was the same day cos he'd just imported the messages.

Plus I found out that archiving doesn't work directly on IMAP
mailboxes...

On Feb 17, 6:44 am, Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]
<JocelynFiorelloMVPOutl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Archiving works on the modified date of an item, not the sent date, received
> date, etc.  Check the modified dates of the items that are not archiving
> properly and see if that's the reason.
>
> --
> Jocelyn Fiorello
> MVP - Outlook
>
> *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply
> only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
>

> "Alan" wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > We have one user using Outlook 2007 who's connected to our corporate
> > mailserver via IMAP. Globally, he's configured the autoarchive to run
> > every day and run on messages older than Jan 15 in the Inbox and Sent
> > Items. He has plenty of such messages. He's using the "default archive
> > settings" at individual folder level.
>
> > When he clicks on File - Archive to run it manually, it briefly says
> > "archiving" in the corner, then stops. No messages at all appear in
> > the Archive Folders. Running it automatically produces the same
> > result.
>
> > I changed the IMAP settings to download everything (was originally
> > headers only) but still no joy.
>
> > Any ideas please? The user is a VIP so help is much appreciated.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > - Alan.- Hide quoted text -

bruguy (167)
2/19/2007 7:49:22 AM
I am encountering a similar problem.  The IMAP items wont autoarchive even
though the modified date is older than 7 days (my autoarchive setting).  This
is true for manually archiving, as well as for the once-a-day auto archiving.
 You say that you found out it doesn't work directly on IMAP folders.  What
does that mean?  Did you find a work-around?  Thanks.

"Alan" wrote:

> Thanks, that was the reason. I added a column to display the modified
> time and it was the same day cos he'd just imported the messages.
>
> Plus I found out that archiving doesn't work directly on IMAP
> mailboxes...
>
> On Feb 17, 6:44 am, Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]
> <JocelynFiorelloMVPOutl...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Archiving works on the modified date of an item, not the sent date, received
> > date, etc.  Check the modified dates of the items that are not archiving
> > properly and see if that's the reason.
> >
> > --
> > Jocelyn Fiorello
> > MVP - Outlook
> >
> > *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply
> > only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. ***
> >

> > "Alan" wrote:
> > > Hello,
> >
> > > We have one user using Outlook 2007 who's connected to our corporate
> > > mailserver via IMAP. Globally, he's configured the autoarchive to run
> > > every day and run on messages older than Jan 15 in the Inbox and Sent
> > > Items. He has plenty of such messages. He's using the "default archive
> > > settings" at individual folder level.
> >
> > > When he clicks on File - Archive to run it manually, it briefly says
> > > "archiving" in the corner, then stops. No messages at all appear in
> > > the Archive Folders. Running it automatically produces the same
> > > result.
> >
> > > I changed the IMAP settings to download everything (was originally
> > > headers only) but still no joy.
> >
> > > Any ideas please? The user is a VIP so help is much appreciated.
> >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > > - Alan.- Hide quoted text -

gregggr (3)
3/17/2007 2:06:05 PM
I have exactly the same problem. Archive, with any configuration, auto or
manual, does not seem to work with IMAP folders. This is a serious bummer.

Any suggestions?
None from me.  This forum has been useless in finding a solution.  I've
posted the question several different places, with no response.  What's
strange is that it sort of works on one of my computers, but not the other.
And by sort of, I mean that it mostly works on one of my IMAP accounts, and
not at all on the other.  I've tried every setting I can think of.  Hopefully
someone will have an answer.

"Lighthouse8888" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem. Archive, with any configuration, auto or
> manual, does not seem to work with IMAP folders. This is a serious bummer.
>
> Any suggestions?
0
gregggr (3)
4/12/2007 11:58:03 PM
AFAIK archiving just doesn't workon IMAP. Period.

It only works on (Exchange) server-based mailboxes and if you even
look sideways at a message, it resets the last modified date, causing
the message to be skipped for archiving.

On Apr 13, 1:58 am, gregggr <greg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> None from me.  This forum has been useless in finding a solution.  I've
> posted the question several different places, with no response.  What's
> strange is that it sort of works on one of my computers, but not the other.
> And by sort of, I mean that it mostly works on one of my IMAP accounts, and
> not at all on the other.  I've tried every setting I can think of.  Hopefully
> someone will have an answer.
>

> "Lighthouse8888" wrote:
> > I have exactly the same problem. Archive, with any configuration, auto or
> > manual, does not seem to work with IMAP folders. This is a serious bummer.
>
> > Any suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

bruguy (167)

Personal Folder problem #2
I have a user that came in and opened his email and most of his folders were missing out of his personal folder file. The file is 333MB but when I open it from outlook it says it is 65kb. I ran icrosoft scanpst.exe (R) Inbox Repair Tool Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1995-1996. All rights reserved. **Beginning NDB recovery **Attempting to open database **Attempting to validate header **Attempting to validate AMap **Attempting to validate BBT **Attempting to validate NBT **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks **Begi...

Unable to archive on outlook 2002
Hi all... I am on outlook 2002. I have tried NUMEROUS times to manually archive old email. Here is what I do: create the pst file first, then within outlook I pull down on file, then archive. I put in the date range I want and let it go on its way. (I use date less than 12/31/2002 - which should get all of 2002). It only does its thing for a few seconds. NO emails are archived what so ever. I have tried numerous times.. and at a loss Any thoughts or suggestions??? Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date...

Auto Filter problem

Auto-Editing

Trace Dependents doesn't work (precedents does!)
I have 5 separate workbooks where the trace precedents works, but trace dependents doesn't. All the happens is I get a dialogue box saying that 'The Trace Dependents command found no formulas that refer to the active cell' when clearly there are. Obviously, there is something in common with all of them which is preventing it from working. What concerns me is that the sheets are somehow corrupt and are not calculating properly - which is going to be a problem as the sheets are financial and need to be signed off by an external auditor! I have found threads suggesting other users h...

Apple Mail not working right???
Ok, so I installed Office:Mac 2004, now all of a sudden, my Apple Mail (the Apple provided email application) dock icon no longer shows me how many messages I have waiting! VERY irritating!! This sequence of events started last night when I first installed Office, and then lo and behold when I opened Word for the first time, all of these fonts got installed. I'm an Extensis Suitcase kind of guy. I don't really like all those fonts in my system folder. I've even disabled all the other "stock" fonts except for Geneva and Lucida Grande. I also had Arial enabled since that&#...

Too Many Personal Folders
I move my outlook.pst file back and forth, by "import" between my home and laptop computers. I do not import duplicate entries. Somewhere in this process I have "acquired" several new Personal Folders. In the folder list there are four of them. The active data appears in the second one, counting from the top and the third and fourth seem to be duplicates. How do I safely reduce all my data to just one Personal Folder, and how do I prevent this growth in the future. TIA, Dave Harding in PA. Dave Harding <davejean1@comcast.net> wrote: > I move my outlook.pst...

Journaling
AHi, I have enabled journaling on one of the mailbox store by selectiong "Archive all messages sent or recieved by maiboxes on this store" oprtion. But the mailbox under this tore can not recieve external mails from outside my organization but can recieve mails internally. please help to solve this issue. "Taj" wrote: > AHi, > I have enabled journaling on one of the mailbox store by selectiong "Archive > all messages sent or recieved by maiboxes on this store" oprtion. But the > mailbox under this tore can not recieve external mails from out...

Auto-Calculate

<Refresh All> not working properly
Hello I have a number of web queries in a single Excel worksheet. If I select <Refresh All> then some update but some don't. If I refresh them individually then thye work fine. Any reason for this and how may I get around this? Regards Alex ...

auto copy self

resetting default folder options
I was fixing a friend's PC and reset some folder options (specifically, I asked File Mgr to show contents of folders such as C:\Programs, C:\Windows, etc, where they used to come up with a warning about knowing the risks of messing about), and, now that the PC is humming along nicely, I'd like to reset said folders back to their default behavior to avoid any "accidents" on the part of users. The 3 users on the machine all have "admin" priveleges -- in my travels, i *did* see an option for setting it back to "don't view" but I don't...

Not Receiving IMAP

Auto correct or Auto complete

OWA auto login

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

Auto look through subfolders

Lost folder
I seem to have lost an Outlook folder. It contained e- mail messages. Does anyone know if there is a way to get it back? If the folder resides in an Exchange mailbox then it is possible using Exchange. If the folder is in a Persona Folder File (.pst) then the only way to get it back is if it is in the Deleted Items folder. Otherwise we have no way of retrieving the folder. Robert Findlay Partner Technical Lead -- Outlook/Office Setup Microsoft Technical Support for Platforms and Business Applications -------------------- >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message >From: &quo...

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Messages Not Saved to Drafts Folder (but to INBOX folder)
The "solution" (XCLN: Messages Not Saved to Drafts Folder" (MS Knowledge Base 247813)) merely states that MS Outlook's default is to save messages every 3 minutes to the Drafts folder! As the subject heading of this MS KB 247813 states, however, the problem is that messages ARE NOT being saved to the Drafts folder! The "solution" to my reading seemingly ignores this and offers no "way around" or correction of the problem. This sort of response in MS "Help" is so frustrating. It seems so patently obvious that the "solution" ...

Auto date

Public folder permissions.
I have a permissions problem with 2003 Server SBE. I created a number of public contact lists using an administrator equivelent user. The login name became corrupt and I had to delete and recreate it. The problem is that unlike with exchange 2000 or 5.5 I can not use the Exchange Admin tools to delete or change the proporties of these public contacts. Using Outlook no user including the Administrator has access to the permissions tab. Any ideas on how to correct this problem. I assume this is a registry problem now but I have been unsucessful in finding any references to...

Auto-Alphabetize