Auto message generation with attached file

We are wanting to automatically bring up an outlook message that
contains an attached file from our application.  The idea behind it is
that our users can simply click a button on our application and the
output file we generate will be automatically addressed and ready to be
sent through their configured outlook.  The bad news about all this is
out app is written in Java.  Do any of you guys have any ideas about
how we can do this?

I couldn't find any simple command line options for attaching a file,
so a programming approach seems to be the only option.  I have seen a
few Java-COM bridges out there.  Is it possible to even do this through
outlook's COM objects?  If so does anyone have any direction they can
point me in to investigating these objects (I stink at win32
programming).

I also thought about creating a vb script that I can run through
windows scripting host executable.  This would get us around having to
buy a VC++ distribution to create our interface with outlook.

We use our application internally so we are standardized on winXP
(still have a few 2k but will be gone soon) and outlook, so we don't
need to worry about conforming to any other email applications or OS.

I didn�t see a general programming forum so I hope this post is in an
ok spot.  If you think it would be better answered elsewhere let me
know where.

Lance

~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/
~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/

On 10/21/2003 12:31 PM, lance.johnson wrote:

> We are wanting to automatically bring up an outlook message that
> contains an attached file from our application.  The idea behind it is

Did you look into VBA?  It may have enough functions for what you are
trying to do.

Alex

--
-( Alex Yu | Systms Admintr | Multmd Devlpr | AEM | RPI | MSFT MVP )-

0
yua (62)

Why is Excel getting hosed everytime I try to save my file?
Twice a month I update an Excel file to store our household finances and bills when I pay bills. It has worked fine until about 2 months ago. When I would close it, Excel would enter into Not Responding mode. I tried manually saving the file before I close it and even while I am still working in it and it still gets hosed. I can recover the file , thankfully, with the office automatic recover feature, but it is very annoying. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do to fix it? Hi, I had something similar, ik may be that there is a 'missing bit or byte' in the file which c...

Error message during login:not a registered user of the applicatio
Hi , i receive following error during login: Error during login, you are not a registered user of the application. Does the mobile user need special rights ? The CRMMobileErrorLog.txt : TIM]02.21.2007 12:22:20 [CMP]rdaMsgBusErrorTrace [LVL]0 [EVT]0 [TXT]Exception details : Message : WebException Extra Info : Status Code : UnauthorizedStatus Description : Unauthorized Exception Contents : System.Net.WebException: WebException bei System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.doInvoke() bei Microsoft.BusinessSolutions.Mobility.RdaMessageBus.Diagnostics.MessageBusService.CancelM...

error message; print problem
The following began appearing about/after the time I transferred info from one computer to another: 1) at the close of Microsoft Word 2002 (Microsoft Windows XP Professional), the following appears: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error Program: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\WINWORD.EXE abnormal program termination 2) After printing 1 or 2 docs with HP psc 1315 all in one, no further docs print (they appear in HP window waiting to print) unless, until I shut down both printer and computer, restart both, then the docs print automatically. ...

"New Mail Message" etc shortcuts in Outlook 2003
I just upgraded from 98 to 2003. In 98 there were shortcuts for creating a new mail message, new task, new contact, etc. You could put them on Office Toolbar, on QuickLaunch, or anywhere. I can't find a way to do that in 2003. Is there a way? dave Since the Office toolbar was removed from Office 2003, where do you want to put the shortcuts? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no ans...

Importing Outlook Messages into Outlook Express
I previously used Outlook 2000 on an old PC and now have a new PC using Outlook Express 6. I saved some of my old Outlook .msg files and Outlook mailbox.pab file on my new PC, but have not been able to "import" the Outlook files into Outlook Express. My Office 2000 CD is damaged and I have no way of installing Outlook on my new PC. Is there a way of opening or importing my Outlook files with Outlook Express? Appreciate the help, David ...

Auto Filter problem

cannot open or reply to a message or new message
Have just upgraded to windows 7 and now when we are in outlook 2007 we recieve mail but cannot reply, open or forward mail. It is open in the task bar but will not open up full screen. Any help here would be grateful. Close Outlook. Open it in safe mode. Start > Start Search > outlook.exe /safe (please note the space between outlook.exe and /safe) Does this behaviour continue? "Cazz" <Cazz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355C8102-A769-4B6C-886B-FC8FE61D6495@microsoft.com... > Have just upgraded to windows 7 and now when we are in ...

unable to see messages in outlook 2003
after setting up outlook on vista machine i am unable to see messages in inbox or any of the personal folders, despite successful download from mail server. have also checked filters. i had plenty of issues during setting up outlook with 2007 version & with setting up mail data folders, but it finally worked. any assistance will be appreciated. -- mahim http://forums.slipstick.com "mahim" <mahim.45jx5y@invalid> wrote in message news:mahim.45jx5y@invalid... > after setting up outlook on vista machine i am unable to see messages in > inbox o...

Auto-Editing

outlook2003 forwarding (always attaches rather than open)
I have a friend that has the same Outlook 2003 that I do. But when they forward, the email client always attaches the message as an attachment so they can't clean it up prior to forwarding. I can't find the option to make theirs work like mine (which doesn't attach forwarded messages). Thanks!!!! "joe" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:xFc4k.4086$LL4.1727@bignews7.bellsouth.net... >I have a friend that has the same Outlook 2003 that I do. > But when they forward, the email client always attaches the > message as an attachment so they can&#...

Settings.settings file with settings for multiple regions

External messages problem
Hi all, I have this problem with a customer, they have an Exchange 2003 Server (SBS2003). The external mailboxes resides on the ISP so they download messages to internal mailboxes through POP3 connector. This works fine but we see 2 problems: 1) When an internal user wants to send messages to an external user the mail is sended with the "reply-to" pointing to the internal mailbox (not resolvable from internet), so when the external user wants to reply and sends the email the address is not recongnized and the email bounces. 2) If we change the "reply-to" to match the...

Auto-Calculate

received a 551 error message when sending an email
-- Barbara R. Griffin Barbara@BarbaraRGriffin.com "Barbara R. Griffin" <BarbaraRGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E6649DF7-CC94-4F8D-9339-2AB2BFDC243D@microsoft.com... > > -- > Barbara R. Griffin > Barbara@BarbaraRGriffin.com Please use this BIG WHITE SPACE to write your question. If you'd bothered to do ANY searching in this group you would have found a huge thread earlier today of which one post contained the following: " From AT&T: I apologize but we are undergoing a system maintenance. Would you pl...

Flatten XML file
Hi, I have a large xml file that contains many nested nodes that I want to convert into a flat structure so I can read it into a single database table. I am using VB.Net / SQL Server 2000. A simple example looks something like this (in my xml file there is about 15 levels of nesting): ParentVal1 ChildVal1 ChildVal2 GrandChildVal1 GrandChildVal2 ParentVal2 ChildVal1 GrandChildVal1 GrandChildVal2 I need to convert this to: ParentVal1 ChildVal1 blank ParentVal1 ChildVal2 GrandChildVal1 ParentVal1 ChildVal2 GrandChildVal2 ParentVal2 ChildVal1 GrandC...

Out of Office message
I have XP and I cannot find where I can set up a message when I'm out of the office. Can someone please help me. To use the Out of Office Assistant, you must be using Outlook and an Exchange server. If you are not on an Exchange server, then you would need to use rules to reply to messages. However, rules will not allow you to distinguish who to send an Out of Office reply to so all spam that you recieve will have the reply sent, letting the spammers know that they have a "live" address. >-----Original Message----- >I have XP and I cannot find where I can s...

prompt for path to loop through files
I have the code below and it works fine but I would like it to prompt for the file path as each month the path changes slightly. Sub LoopOWC() Dim oFSO Dim Folder As Object Dim Files As Object Dim file As Object Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set Folder = oFSO.GetFolder("c:\new_files\Jan") For Each file In Folder.Files If file.Type Like "*Microsoft Excel*" Then Workbooks.Open Filename:=file.Path UploadData ActiveWorkbook.Cl...

auto copy self

how to specify a horizontal line in MFC resource file
Hi; i have this problem. I want to add a horizontal line somewhere on the dialog box. However, i cannot find any control like GROUPBOX|, CHECKBOX representing a single horizontal line ? How can i achieve this? best regards bav Add a picture control to your dialog and change its type from frame to vertical etch. AliR. "bav" <baudewijn.vermeire@skynet.be> wrote in message news:45ef14b1$0$2946$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi; > i have this problem. > I want to add a horizontal line somewhere on the dialog box. > However, i cannot find any control like GRO...

Auto correct or Auto complete

OWA auto login

No Attachment Warning
I had this code in Outlook 2003 it warned me when I sent email without attachment if it found the word attached in the email. It doesn't work in Outlook 2007, please help. Thanks. Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean) Dim lngres As Long If InStr(1, Item.Body, "attach") <> 0 Then If Item.Attachments.Count = 0 Then lngres = MsgBox(" Found 'Attach' in message, but no attachment found - send anyway?", _ vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2 + vbQuestion, "You asked me to warn you...") If lngres = vbNo Th...

Cannot open files.
I am having trouble opening files after saving them. I keep getting the message "cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Details says "Unspecified error" followed with the location in the "document.xml" file. ...

How to generate a string with values from a range?
I ahve a little macro that is passed a range. It does some work on the individual values. I have written a subroutine that writes debug data to a side file. I would like to dump the values in the input range to the side file as a delimited string. If it was an array variable, I could use the Join function. I have tried various combinations, but nothing works. Can someone show me a single line of code that will generate a single string from a range variable? I know I can do it with a loop, but I'd prefer a single statement (perhaps using Join) is possible. Single line of exis...