Attachments sent inside message instead of attached to message

Hello!

I have a user running Outlook 2002 and using Word 2002 as her email editor.
She claims that up until a week ago, she was able to send attachments to
people and they would show up in the attachment bar right below the subject
bar. She claims that people are now getting WINMAIL.DAT files attached to
her messages, and the attachments show up in the body of her messages,
rather than attached to the messages.

I showed her how to send in plain text format, which places the attachment
in the attachment bar instead of within the body of the message. She claims
that she could send in RTF prior to last week and the attachment was NOT
placed inside the message.

Is there a way to send in RTF and have the attachments outside the message
body so that recipients do not get the WINMAIL.DAT files? Recipients are on
PCs and Macs, and have been able to get her attachments in the past, up
until last week. We made no changes to her system, unless MS put out a patch
that changed things.

Thanks for the help!

Gregg Hill

0
bogus9187 (191)

Plain Text = attachment under message header fields.
RTF = attachment in message body where the sender places the insertion
point.
HTML = attachment below message in separate window.

RTF = bad for any client (except for Outlook or Eudora) which will receive a
winmail.dat - cure is to use plain text.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:

| Hello!
|
| I have a user running Outlook 2002 and using Word 2002 as her email
| editor. She claims that up until a week ago, she was able to send
| attachments to people and they would show up in the attachment bar
| right below the subject bar. She claims that people are now getting
| WINMAIL.DAT files attached to her messages, and the attachments show
| up in the body of her messages, rather than attached to the messages.
|
| I showed her how to send in plain text format, which places the
| attachment in the attachment bar instead of within the body of the
| message. She claims that she could send in RTF prior to last week and
| the attachment was NOT placed inside the message.
|
| Is there a way to send in RTF and have the attachments outside the
| message body so that recipients do not get the WINMAIL.DAT files?
| Recipients are on PCs and Macs, and have been able to get her
| attachments in the past, up until last week. We made no changes to
| her system, unless MS put out a patch that changed things.
|
| Thanks for the help!
|
| Gregg Hill

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/9/2004 5:27:35 PM
Milly,

Thanks for the answer, which is precisely what I told her, but she INSISTED
that she has been doing it all along until last week. Personally, I think
it's another UOD case (User On Drugs). She wants RTF because it gives her a
prettier signature (yes, I am serious).

Gregg Hill

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org>
wrote in message news:ObDQsreNEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Plain Text = attachment under message header fields.
> RTF = attachment in message body where the sender places the insertion
> point.
> HTML = attachment below message in separate window.
>
> RTF = bad for any client (except for Outlook or Eudora) which will receive
> winmail.dat - cure is to use plain text.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:
>
> | Hello!
> |
> | I have a user running Outlook 2002 and using Word 2002 as her email
> | editor. She claims that up until a week ago, she was able to send
> | attachments to people and they would show up in the attachment bar
> | right below the subject bar. She claims that people are now getting
> | WINMAIL.DAT files attached to her messages, and the attachments show
> | up in the body of her messages, rather than attached to the messages.
> |
> | I showed her how to send in plain text format, which places the
> | attachment in the attachment bar instead of within the body of the
> | message. She claims that she could send in RTF prior to last week and
> | the attachment was NOT placed inside the message.
> |
> | Is there a way to send in RTF and have the attachments outside the
> | message body so that recipients do not get the WINMAIL.DAT files?
> | Recipients are on PCs and Macs, and have been able to get her
> | attachments in the past, up until last week. We made no changes to
> | her system, unless MS put out a patch that changed things.
> |
> | Thanks for the help!
> |
> | Gregg Hill

0
bogus9187 (191)
5/9/2004 5:43:20 PM
Oh, PEBCAK, very familiar (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:

| Milly,
|
| Thanks for the answer, which is precisely what I told her, but she
| INSISTED that she has been doing it all along until last week.
| Personally, I think it's another UOD case (User On Drugs). She wants
| RTF because it gives her a prettier signature (yes, I am serious).
|
| Gregg Hill
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
|| Plain Text = attachment under message header fields.
|| RTF = attachment in message body where the sender places the
|| insertion point.
|| HTML = attachment below message in separate window.
|| RTF = bad for any client (except for Outlook or Eudora) which will
|| receive a winmail.dat - cure is to use plain text.
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill
|| asked:
||| Hello!
||| I have a user running Outlook 2002 and using Word 2002 as her email
||| editor. She claims that up until a week ago, she was able to send
||| attachments to people and they would show up in the attachment bar
||| right below the subject bar. She claims that people are now getting
||| WINMAIL.DAT files attached to her messages, and the attachments show
||| up in the body of her messages, rather than attached to the
||| messages.
||| I showed her how to send in plain text format, which places the
||| attachment in the attachment bar instead of within the body of the
||| message. She claims that she could send in RTF prior to last week
||| and the attachment was NOT placed inside the message.
||| Is there a way to send in RTF and have the attachments outside the
||| message body so that recipients do not get the WINMAIL.DAT files?
||| Recipients are on PCs and Macs, and have been able to get her
||| attachments in the past, up until last week. We made no changes to
||| her system, unless MS put out a patch that changed things.
||| Thanks for the help!
||| Gregg Hill

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/9/2004 6:35:24 PM
Oh, Milly!

Thank you so much. I busted up laughing on that one! I am going to use it
FREQUENTLY!!!

wrote in message news:eV3UlRfNEHA.4036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Oh, PEBCAK, very familiar (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair).
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:
>
> | Milly,
> |
> | Thanks for the answer, which is precisely what I told her, but she
> | INSISTED that she has been doing it all along until last week.
> | Personally, I think it's another UOD case (User On Drugs). She wants
> | RTF because it gives her a prettier signature (yes, I am serious).
> |
> | Gregg Hill
> |

> | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> | <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
> || Plain Text = attachment under message header fields.
> || RTF = attachment in message body where the sender places the
> || insertion point.
> || HTML = attachment below message in separate window.
> || RTF = bad for any client (except for Outlook or Eudora) which will
> || receive a winmail.dat - cure is to use plain text.
> || --�
> || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> || Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
> || the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
> || personal account will be deleted without reading.
> || After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill
> || asked:

0
bogus9187 (191)
5/9/2004 7:18:50 PM
Sorry that you have to - it is so frequently the problem.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:

| Oh, Milly!
|
| Thank you so much. I busted up laughing on that one! I am going to
| use it FREQUENTLY!!!
|
| Gregg Hill
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
|| Oh, PEBCAK, very familiar (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and
|| Chair).
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill
|| asked:
||| Milly,
||| Thanks for the answer, which is precisely what I told her, but she
||| INSISTED that she has been doing it all along until last week.
||| Personally, I think it's another UOD case (User On Drugs). She wants
||| RTF because it gives her a prettier signature (yes, I am serious).
||| Gregg Hill
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
||| <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
5/9/2004 8:25:32 PM
Milly,

Yes, indeed! This lady looks at me as though I am nuts (which I am...just
ask my wife) because she has "always been able to do it before" with RTF and
the attachments in the message header area instead of in the message body.
Is there ANY chance that could be the case?

wrote in message news:OD2eIPgNEHA.160@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Sorry that you have to - it is so frequently the problem.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill asked:
>
> | Oh, Milly!
> |
> | Thank you so much. I busted up laughing on that one! I am going to
> | use it FREQUENTLY!!!
> |
> | Gregg Hill
> |

> | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
> | <MillyS@donteventhinkaboutmailingmemvps.org> wrote in message
> || Oh, PEBCAK, very familiar (Problem Exists Between Keyboard and
> || Chair).
> || --�
> || Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
> || Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
> || the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
> || personal account will be deleted without reading.
> || After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Gregg Hill
> || asked:

0
bogus9187 (191)

uuencoded attachment from mailx is embedded instead of attached
Since I applied the August 2004 version of the post ex2000 sp3 roll-up and the latest April Microsoft secuirty patches, when our unix mailx app sends mail to our Exchange 2k server, the uuencoded attachment is embedded in the body of the message instead of being received as an attachment. Being embedded in the message body turns it into unuseable garbage. We have not made any changes to the unix box, only the exchange box. Has anyone else experienced this problem or anyone know what the solution may be? Thanks ...

I cant send messages
Hi I have windows live mail and have recently reformatted the hard drive for an unrelated problem. I connected back onto the net and an receiving emails ok but i cant send any. Here is the error message: The host 'mail.bigpond.com ' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Subject 'deal or no deal' Server: 'mail.bigpond.com ' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0D Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 11004 I have triple checked the writing in the accounts and cannot see that i have wri...

Printing

Attachment Read only
Hi, When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 Rgds Dear, It seems you are opening the attachment in OL Reading preview - Open the mail(double click on the mail) and then read the attachment. Hope this helps you more Regards APK "Jsingh" wrote: > Hi, > > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually it is not > readonly - any ideas? - OL2003 > > Rgds > Jsingh, you wrote on Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:03:02 -0800: > When I open a Word attachment - it shows readonly - actually i...

Attach a file in knowledge base
Hi all, Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doesn't make sense to only type it in or copy the text into the article. Thanks in advance, DK. I had the same problem and apparently this is not a feature in MS CRM 3.0. According to a CRM representative the answer is that you cannot attach a document to a knowledge base article. "DK" wrote: > Hi all, > > Is anyone know that Can we attach a file like PDF or DOC document in an > article under the CRM knowledge base? I think it doe...

reports server gives "The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized." message
i've changed my report server's address from a lan address (i.e. http://machinename/reportserver) to a wan address (i.e. http://machinename.com/reportserver). now when i try to access the reports section, i'm given an error message aobut unauthorized access. how do i configure this? tks ...

HTML emails sent wrong
My cousin has Outlook 2003 on his computer at college. He uses stationary, you know picture backgrounds, fonts, colors, etc. He recently upgraded to 2007 Home & Student. He says since then his stationary doesn't work. Instead of showing the image as a background, it's coming as an attachment jpg. The font is just a normal one. When he's composing email it looks like it should. He verified that Compose in HTML is selected. Any ideas? If the recipient uses plain text (as many people do) they won't see the stationery. Thankfully. "yuppicide&...

Automaticly open attachment and print attachment
Hello, Is there a way to automaticly open a attachment and print it? I played with the rules wizard but there i can only get the message openend and printed. I use Outlook 2003 Thanks. You'll need a 3rd party utility. Look for solutions here: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http:/...

Oulook 2000 Blocking Attachments! Reposted
Hi ONG, I am running Ms-Outlook 2000 Service pack 3, on a Windows pro 2000 Service pack 4. Standalone machine. Recently my mail client has been blocking my email attachments, i have received two replies from the newsgroup describing Level1 security in Outlook, also a link to a site containing all the releative information regarding the subject. But no matter what i try Outlook still wont allow the access to the attachment. I created the new Key and the necessary String Value, i have even tried to use the ( . ) character before the file ext, also i have tried it without the ( .) character, no...

Disabling dialog key messages
I have a MFC app with a window included in a frame, used for displaying a DirectX9 window. I'd like,when the user focuses on the Dx9 window, using keys for whatever,to prevent dialog boxes belonging to the app. from retrieving those events.And to enable it once the user focuses no more on the DX9 window but on the main app where the MFC dialog boex and whatever are. What can I do for that? ...

How to Find the Message that contained The Attachment of a Known File-Name.
Is there some way to search through a list of emails in Outlook 2003 to find the one that contains an attachment of a specific file name? I am often trying to track down the message that accompanied an attachment with a known file-name amongst thousands of messages in one mailbox. Regards, AndyH If attached to an Exchange server, I would, as an admin, use a utility server-side. From the client, I'm not sure Outlook can do it on its own. Hopefully, I'm wrong. Some of the desktop search applications have this functionality though. "AndyH" <andyh@triode.net.au&g...

Replying to inbox msg
I have a friend who sent me an email that contains a known spammer's URL. My friend wanted to know if the email they rec'd was spam. When I replied that it was, my reply went into my "Sent Items" folder, but the addressee never got my reply. I tried forwarding it to my Yahoo ID and the same thing happened (it went into "Sent Items" again, but never got to my Yahoo inbox). To determine if this was a Windows Mail problem, I went to my Webmail (I'm using Comcast) and tried forwarding the same email (I leave all incoming emails on the server f...

attachments do not forward
I want to forward e-mails which come to me with attachments. I want these attachments to forward along with the message and they do not. How can I make this happen? Is there a setting to enable this? ...

Outlook 2003 deleting messages from server but not delivering them
I just started using Outlook 2003 and am experiencing several issues that MS Support (naturally) claims to be the responsibility of my POP server or the ISP. Since I host my own mail server using ADSL, there is no ISP. The application is called Vpop3 and I've been using it for years with no problems, such as described below. Support refused to provide me with ANY evidence to substantiate their assertion and simply said, "we have internal technotes" and "I checked with senior techs...they all say the problems your having are because of a protocol issue with your mail server&...

Editing attachments in Outlook XP
If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in the email? Has anyone ever seen it not save the edits at all? It may be in a secure folder under the Temporary Internet Folder as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296115 "DonnaC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052d01c3be9b$44ebd3a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If you open a Word doc that is attached to an email & make > edits to it, does it save it anywhere else other than in > the email? > Has anyone ever seen it...

attachments.......
Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. Thanks, Crank down the internal message size limits to a value that makes sense to you. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:03:07 -0500, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there a way to only prevent staff from sending attachments internally? I >am using Exchange 2003 and office 2003. > > >Thanks, > > ...

Have to scroll to see full list of attachments in Outlook 2007?
A colleague of mine keeps sending me HTML emails in Outlook with multiple attachments, but the full list of attachments does not appear all at once on the screen. There is a scroll bar on the FAR right next to the attachments, and you have to scroll down through the list of attachments to see all of the attachments (I can send a screen shot to better explain this). So for example, if an email has four attachments, I only see the first three on the screen, and then I have to scroll down to see the fourth attachment. This is very confusing as I can easily "miss" an attach...

print out messages with list of attachments
Hello there, when printing out a message/email in full, how do I get outlook t print the list of attachments? Cheers, Wi ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com found it in the newsgroups :-) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;821840 ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

remove attachment on reply
Some how I have set my outlook to save the replying email as an atachment and I would prefer it just be in the text form like before. Apparently I changed something or hit something that did this and I wold like to fix it. To delete attachments from messages in Outlook: Double-click on the desired message to open it in its own window. Click on the attachment you want to remove with the right mouse button. Select Remove from the menu. Close the message window. Click OK in the Do you want to save changes? dialog. calender, items, reaccuring, wrote: >Some how I have set my...

.xls attachment
Hi, can anyone help me? I'm quite new to the whole computer/techno life and have been trying for over 2 hours to find what I want! A friend has sent an e-mail with an attachment which has a .xls file extension. However I try, I am unable to open the attachment. I've downloaded various software at 'my machine's' recommendation including a works conversion thing for Word but still no luck. I hope it's something really simple which can be sorted by someone with a bit of a clue but I'm starting to get tied up in knots. I wouldn't mind but the attachment soun...

Message stuck in Outbox #13
Hi There, Outlook 2003 - Win XP Pro SP2 - POP3 email only We have messages getting stuck in the Outbox and the recipient is getting them like 30 times. This seems to be happening only with messages with attachments. We have tried SCNPST and the behavior is still there. We also renamed the pst, created a new one then imported all items same results. Antivirus and AntiSpyware report no problems. Any ideas what to try next? Thank you, Bob "Robert Serna" <bob_oso@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:een$t3yuGHA.1272@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi There, > > Outlook...

imap VS persoanl sent items folder
My emails sent from my 'imap' account are copied to the sent items folder in the personal folder. Why they are not copied to the sent items folder of the 'imap' folder? exciter <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote: > My emails sent from my 'imap' account > are copied to the sent items folder in the personal folder. > Why they are not copied to the sent items folder of the > 'imap' folder? Sent Items are always stored in the delivery location's Sent Items folder. If you want Sent Items stored in an IMAP folder, you have to use a rule to copy t...

Creating an Outlook 2007 macro that attaches a signature to new me
Hi, I'm new to macro creation and have several questions. I created code that adds a random signature to an open message window. Now I need to find a way to execute this code every time the user creates a new message window (new message, reply, forward). How can this be done? Following up on this I need to know what I can do with the macro code to "install" it within several Outlook 2007 instances. 1) See the NewInspector event. 2) http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=28 -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories:...

Outlooks Attachments
when i attach any attachments in a new e-mail they attach in the writing plane and thus cant be opened by my friends. If i reply the attachments go in the right place - on the subject bar. HELP PLEASE!! change your message format to plain text or html, you're using RTF right now. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outl...

Rule that applies to attachments
Outlook 2002. I don't see how to create a rule that applies to attachments. I.e., I want to move a message that has an attachment with a specific name to a specified folder. Am I missing something or is this not possible? ...