Attachments arrive renamed to ATT####.###

As of recently the email attachments I receive (some, not all) arrive
renamed to either:

1. ATT#####.### or
2. <original name>.DAT

It seems this happens with JPG, DOC and EXE files. I am able to open them
with the relevant program, and there seems otherwise nothing wrong with
these files. These renamed attachments come from known senders who know
nothing about why this is happening. And they arrive from more than one ISP,
even more than one country. I asked a friend sending one such attachment to
send it to my 4 different emails (with 4 different ISPs), and they all
arrived equally renamed. However, I used the same client (Outlook 2003 for
all)

Anyone knows who/why does this? Is it my Outlook? Is it a virus, or perhaps
just the opposite - somebody's (ISP?) idea of some sort of protection?

ATT is caused by one of the servers munging the message, probably your mail
server. the Dat file is caused by sending an RTF formatted message -
normally outlook can decode them but if the message is munged by the server,
it can't.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> As of recently the email attachments I receive (some, not all) arrive
> renamed to either:
>
> 1. ATT#####.### or
> 2. <original name>.DAT
>
> It seems this happens with JPG, DOC and EXE files. I am able to open them
> with the relevant program, and there seems otherwise nothing wrong with
> these files. These renamed attachments come from known senders who know
> nothing about why this is happening. And they arrive from more than one
> ISP,
> even more than one country. I asked a friend sending one such attachment
> send it to my 4 different emails (with 4 different ISPs), and they all
> arrived equally renamed. However, I used the same client (Outlook 2003 for
> all)
>
> Anyone knows who/why does this? Is it my Outlook? Is it a virus, or
> perhaps
> just the opposite - somebody's (ISP?) idea of some sort of protection?

0
outlookmvp (5838)
1/24/2007 3:25:21 AM
"munged"  That's a technical term.
> ATT is caused by one of the servers munging the message, probably your
> mail server. the Dat file is caused by sending an RTF formatted message -
> normally outlook can decode them but if the message is munged by the
> server, it can't.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> As of recently the email attachments I receive (some, not all) arrive
>> renamed to either:
>>
>> 1. ATT#####.### or
>> 2. <original name>.DAT
>>
>> It seems this happens with JPG, DOC and EXE files. I am able to open them
>> with the relevant program, and there seems otherwise nothing wrong with
>> these files. These renamed attachments come from known senders who know
>> nothing about why this is happening. And they arrive from more than one
>> ISP,
>> even more than one country. I asked a friend sending one such attachment
>> send it to my 4 different emails (with 4 different ISPs), and they all
>> arrived equally renamed. However, I used the same client (Outlook 2003
>> for
>> all)
>>
>> Anyone knows who/why does this? Is it my Outlook? Is it a virus, or
>> perhaps
>> just the opposite - somebody's (ISP?) idea of some sort of protection?

0
Chuck
1/24/2007 7:29:03 PM
It's outlook problem, it's not receice attachment in new standart RCF. Use
thunderbird :-)) I hope what MS have patch for this problem

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

> "munged"  That's a technical term.
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
> > ATT is caused by one of the servers munging the message, probably your
> > mail server. the Dat file is caused by sending an RTF formatted message -
> > normally outlook can decode them but if the message is munged by the
> > server, it can't.
> >
> > --
> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
> > Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
> > Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
> >
> > Outlook Tips by email:
> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
> >
> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
> > Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
> >

> > "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> As of recently the email attachments I receive (some, not all) arrive
> >> renamed to either:
> >>
> >> 1. ATT#####.### or
> >> 2. <original name>.DAT
> >>
> >> It seems this happens with JPG, DOC and EXE files. I am able to open them
> >> with the relevant program, and there seems otherwise nothing wrong with
> >> these files. These renamed attachments come from known senders who know
> >> nothing about why this is happening. And they arrive from more than one
> >> ISP,
> >> even more than one country. I asked a friend sending one such attachment
> >> send it to my 4 different emails (with 4 different ISPs), and they all
> >> arrived equally renamed. However, I used the same client (Outlook 2003
> >> for
> >> all)
> >>
> >> Anyone knows who/why does this? Is it my Outlook? Is it a virus, or
> >> perhaps
> >> just the opposite - somebody's (ISP?) idea of some sort of protection?

0
Anian (2)
1/30/2007 9:16:01 AM
Which *new* *RCF* does Thunderbird use?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"Anian" <Anian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It's outlook problem, it's not receice attachment in new standart RCF. Use
> thunderbird :-)) I hope what MS have patch for this problem
>
> "Chuck Davis" wrote:
>
>> "munged"  That's a technical term.
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > ATT is caused by one of the servers munging the message, probably your
>> > mail server. the Dat file is caused by sending an RTF formatted
>> > message -
>> > normally outlook can decode them but if the message is munged by the
>> > server, it can't.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> > Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>> > Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>> > Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips by email:
>> > dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net
>> >
>> > Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>> > Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>> > Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>> > EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM
>> >

>> > "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
outlookmvp (5838)
2/1/2007 2:00:51 PM
RCF 2047

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> Which *new* *RCF* does Thunderbird use?

0
Anian (2)

Outlook attachments and the Internet Zone
We are using Microsoft Outlook 2003 on XP SP2 and Vista and we are having some issues opening certain types of files directly from Outlook. When we double click on an attachment in an email the file saves to the temp files on the C drive of the PC and then it opens the file in the Internet Zone. Can anyone shed any light on why its opening in the Internet Zone as its causing some issues for out GPOs as we block a lot of sites and settings for the Internet Zone. Thanks David <djmulls@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e514a751-4bb4-422a-951c-6609d392f591@p36g2000prp.googlegroups.com......

Attachments to Workflow generated emails
Under CRM 3.0, has anyone been able to take a document that has been attached to an Order (under the Notes tab; for example the faxed copy of the order received) and attach it in turn to an email generated by a Workflow Rule? How can we refer to this file attached to the Order entity in the e-mail process of a Workflow Rule?? ....pd ...

Outlook 2003 asian filename file attachment problem
Using Outlook 2003 on an XP SP1 box with the multilanguage option selected for the OS. When I create an email message using RTF as the format and attach a file with an asian doublebyte filename, it attaches it into the body of the email and all the doublebyte characters are replaced with question marks (?????.doc). If I change the email format to HTML and attach the same file, it attaches the file to a new field called "Attach.." under the "Subject:" field and the multibyte characters show up just fine. Why don't the characters show up when I use RTF? Is this...

Email Attachments 06-03-05
When I forward emails with attachments the attachments don't forward. Any ideas? This is a known CRM bug. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release... (feature? :-) Rakefet RepliWeb Inc. www.repliweb.com ...

Blocking attachments
Is ther a way to block certain attachments in 5.5? *.exe, *.avi, ect.? no with just Exchange - most anti-virus products provide this solution, though... "Jerry Mulbnesor" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:013f01c3c59f$9af53920$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is ther a way to block certain attachments in 5.5? *.exe, > *.avi, ect.? You cannot do this with Exchange itself. Try considering a third party solution like: Norton (http://www.norton.com/) Spam Marshall (http://www.spammarshall.com) McAfee (http://us.mcafee.com/default.asp) Jerry Mulbnesor...

Blocking attachment file types in Exchange Server.
one of the apps that we use generates a .inl that for security reasons we need to be able to e-mail to other users. How do I allow these file types? Hello: Does Exchange server block this, or is it blocked from the Outlook client? Regards, Martin, MCSA: M "SteeleS" <SteeleS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD1AC0E8-0BD4-4A69-AFC8-53C18AD4BB81@microsoft.com... > one of the apps that we use generates a .inl that for security reasons we > need to be able to e-mail to other users. How do I allow these file > types? I am not sure. this file com...

How do I find an Excel spreadsheet opened as attachment in Outlook
Using Outlook 2000...I received an e-mail with an Excel spreadsheet as an attachment. I opened it and spent a great deal of time adding information before I closed it. I thought I had saved it. When I went back into Excel and tried to call up the file via the list of most recent files accessed, it said the file could not be found. I have spent a great deal of time searching for the file with no success. I did read that Outlook attachments are saved in the Temporary Internet Files when opened but I have not been able to get to it by looking in that area. How do I locate the file and will...

Bug in Outlook 2003's Reading Pane
Hi, O2K3's Reading pane will download any attachments to a temporary folder regardless as to the security settings within the application. Can anyone else verify this please ? This becomes noticable when the attachments contain viruses.... the virus checker thankfully detects them, but... it probably wouldn't if the virus was really new... Thanks, Steven. Steve <news_svaardt@hotmail_NOSPAM_.com> wrote: > O2K3's Reading pane will download any attachments to a temporary > folder regardless as to the security settings within the application. > > Can an...

Attach a Disclaimer to the bottom of all emails
Hello, I have Exchange 5.5 and I'm new to this software. Please can someone help me in finding out how to attach a Disclaimer to the bottom of all my outgoing emails. Thank you... L http://www.purenetworking.net/HintsTips/Exchange_Disclaimer ..htm >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >I have Exchange 5.5 and I'm new to this software. Please >can someone help me in finding out how to attach a >Disclaimer to the bottom of all my outgoing emails. > >Thank you... > >L >. > ...

Opening attachments with .dat extension
We cannot open attachments with the .dat extension. We use Office 2000. I have a hunch there's a way to open these, but I've been unable to figure it out. Can someone help? Thanks! ...

background cleanup attachment errors in exchange 5.5
Hello all Can anybody suggest why this error might occur or whether it is cause for concern I found 821339 in the kb, but it's for exchange 2k. We're using exchange 5.5 Thanks in advance -Shanno Event Type: Erro Event Source: MSExchangeIS Privat Event Category: Background Cleanup Event ID: 110 Date: 5/13/200 Time: 1:45:05 P User: N/ Computer: SAGENTEXC Description Error 0xfffff9bf occurred during a background cleanup on attachment 14-A47DFA. You can try brining down the Store and running isinteg. -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.com Microsoft PSS Please do ...

can't open attachments in OE 6
I just installed OE 6 in Win 98, and it won't let me open attachments. What do I do to change this? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.502 / Virus Database: 300 - Release Date: 7/18/03 hit forward, then save the attachment :) It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm ...

Attachements do not arrive
When sending an attachment it doesn't arrive at the receiver, however it does show up as attached in my "sent items folder". What setting do I need to change?? It could be that it's being removed by the receiving mail server or the email account on the computer is set to not receive attachments due to a potential virus. "rfhentzen@netins.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:069101c3d9f1$371ae100$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When sending an attachment it doesn't arrive at the > receiver, however it does show up as attached i...

Send to recipient as attachment
Hi, I am using Word 2003 and use Send to Recipient (as Attachment) quite a lot, however, my command in the File menu has changed to Send to Recipient as text and even when I remove this button and add the Send to Recipient (as Attachment) option it changes to Send to Recipient as text. Help, how do I get my attachment option back? Thanks ...

unable to download attachments
In Outlook Express, after installing Plaxo, I'm unable to download e-mail attachments. They are displayed under the paper clip icon but grey'd out. I've uninstalled Plaxo but still no go. What's the problem here? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpr...

Odd attachment error
This has only started occurring today. I am able to open all my attachments, with the exception of any attachment that consists of the same file name "resume.doc" of which I receive 100s of this name. I am repeatedly receiving the "...check folder permissions" error. I have renamed all other files with this name, but nothing changes. I'm using WINXP and Outlook 2003. Check your C:\Documents and Settings\<<username>>\Local Settings\Temp folder. With Outlook and all other apps closed, try deleting all the .tmp files beginning with ~ in this folder. Res...

Attaching receipt to a transaction
Has anybody figured how to attach a scanned receipt to a Transaction in an account? This is an old feature in Quicken that is no longer supported. Money can't do it. Some of us think this is a good thing. Money files get big enough and slow enough as it is. "Elio" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1aef01c3ff34$c929d4d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Has anybody figured how to attach a scanned receipt to a > Transaction in an account? > > > This is an old feature in Quicken that is no longer > supported. > > Thank you for yo...

Outlook XP 2002 Attachments
Any attachments that I include in Outlook XP 2002 specially those from the web incoming or outgoing are blocked as unsafe. No matter what are the attachments they are automatically blocked as potentially unsafe and can not be sent or receive. Please help. Opening .exe Attachments with the Outlook E-mail Security Update and Outlook 2002 http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm Attachment Options by Ken Slovak: http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Dimas Lamberty" <DLamberty@shawus.com> wrote in message news:00e5...

CRM 3.0 Email Attachments
I understand the attachments are stored in the DB iteself. I am able to find out which table and fields. I see attachment NAME, MIME TYPE, MIMEID but unable to locate which column in the MSCRM.ActivityMimeAttachment table the content is stored ? Please advice. I am trying to download the attachment from the CRM Database into a folder as a file for a given activityid. ...

Attachments Not Showing up in Outlook 2000
Recipients of my e-mails with attachments are able to view the message but do not see attachments when there is more than one, i.e. if I sent only one file attachment, they can see the icon and open it, but if I send more that one, they see no attachments. They say they are not having this problem with attachments send from others, so the problem must be with my Outlook. Has anyone experienced this? Do some of the recent viruses cause a problem like this? Not much help from me, but just saying I am having the same problem. One file is OK, but multiple files do not show, even if I z...

outlook won't send attached jpgs
Using a brand new Dell 8300, 120 gb hd, Win XP, 1 gb ram, just checked for viruses and found none. I re-installed MSOffice 2000 premium onto this system and now I find my attachments are not being sent out using Outlook 2000. They ARE getting sent when I use Outlook Express, but not with Outlook 2000. Anybody have any ideas why this could be happening? Is there an option I have not checked that I can't find? Make sure you use HTML or Plain Text format when sending messages to Outlook Express users, or users of any other e-mail client besides Outlook. Don't use Rich Text form...

Attachments Field Print
If I have an email with attachments were the attachments are in a window above or below the subject line, the names of the attachments do not print. Is there a way to get this field to print? ...

OL2003
I have a user who is trying to migrate his .pst file from one system to another. So he sent his pst file to himself using OL2002 but when he opens his e-mail in OL2003 the file is blocked. I found a list of files that are blocked and according to the list .pst isn't one of them. Does anybody have a better list that includes .pst files. Sure would make it easier to explain to the user With the research I have done so far this appears to cleary be a client issue and not an Exchange issue. I have no problem seeing the .pst and downloading it in OL2002. The only way so far that...

Error opening Excel attachments
LS, I get an error message opening Excel attachments in Outlook 2000 SR-1 (9.0.0.4527), "cannot fond the file specified". Other attachments like .doc, .ppt and .pps are okay. Any clue ?? THX ...

Sending attachments in Outlook 2003
When I send an email to members in-house (on the same domain) with an attachment, such as a Word document, the receiver may or may not get the attachment. It does not happen all the time; it is random. If I send an email with an attachment, outside the firm the reciever gets the email with the attachment. Any idea how to correct the problem? ...