Archiving the Task Folder

Hi All!

I use the Task application of Outlook 2003 intensively.  However, as many of
my tasks involve attachments which must be stored with the task until
completion, my Inbox file size increases rapidly, triggering company IT to
send me "your Inbox is over its size limit" messages frequently.

When a task is complete, I don't want to delete it in case I need to come
back to it for reference.  On the other hand, the standard archiving
function doesn't allow much flexibility. I want to be able to archive Task
items once they are complete, rather than based on a date.  Is there any way
to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

0
tom.pratt1 (11)

HDS Tom <tom.pratt@hdsupply.com> wrote:

> I use the Task application of Outlook 2003 intensively.  However, as
> many of my tasks involve attachments which must be stored with the
> task until completion, my Inbox file size increases rapidly,
> triggering company IT to send me "your Inbox is over its size limit"
> messages frequently.
> When a task is complete, I don't want to delete it in case I need to
> come back to it for reference.  On the other hand, the standard
> archiving function doesn't allow much flexibility. I want to be able
> to archive Task items once they are complete, rather than based on a
> date.  Is there any way to do this?

Create a PST (File>New>Outlook Data File), create a folder holding task
items (it can be named "Tasks", but that's not mandatory) in that PST, then
move the items you don't want to store on the server to that folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
1/25/2008 1:51:05 PM
So simply moving items to a separate PST file will compress/archive them?

Thanks,

Tom
> HDS Tom <tom.pratt@hdsupply.com> wrote:
>
>> I use the Task application of Outlook 2003 intensively.  However, as
>> many of my tasks involve attachments which must be stored with the
>> task until completion, my Inbox file size increases rapidly,
>> triggering company IT to send me "your Inbox is over its size limit"
>> messages frequently.
>> When a task is complete, I don't want to delete it in case I need to
>> come back to it for reference.  On the other hand, the standard
>> archiving function doesn't allow much flexibility. I want to be able
>> to archive Task items once they are complete, rather than based on a
>> date.  Is there any way to do this?
>
> Create a PST (File>New>Outlook Data File), create a folder holding task
> items (it can be named "Tasks", but that's not mandatory) in that PST,
> then move the items you don't want to store on the server to that folder.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tom.pratt1 (11)
1/25/2008 2:19:10 PM
HDS Tom <tom.pratt@hdsupply.com> wrote:

> So simply moving items to a separate PST file will compress/archive
> them?

Compress?  No.  However, moving an item from an Exchange mailbox to a PST
will free up the space in the mailbox, which is what you said you wanted.
You can't "compress" an Exchange mailbox like you can a PST.

Since moving is all that autoarchive does in the first place, yea, moving is
"archiving".  To me "archiving" means "moving from an active data store to
an inactive one, but retaining the ability to access it when needed".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)

Outlook 2000: Outgoing mails never appear in Sent Items folder
All, Here's one I haven't seen before: I have a client with Outlook 2000 (Yes, I know...), and starting about 3 months ago, email messages they have sent out don't appear in the Sent Items folder after they go out. The messages are indeed going out correctly, but that Sent Items folder remains totally empty. The folder size is about 2 kilobytes, and it is not increasing in size as new messages go out. It really looks empty to me. Autoarchive is turned off for this folder. I've run scanpst.exe and it found no errors in the mailstore file. The View Menu is set to "Messag...

Decrypting a Personal Folder
Will a user is moves to a new Domain and new Outlook Mail Server be able to access their Personnal Folders that was encyrpted via Outlook (not by NTFS)and stored on their local drive? How do you decrypt an Outlook Personal Folder (I have many users that fall under this situation) ...

Re-home public folders
What is the easiest way to re-home public folders? I recently added a second exchange 5.5 server to my site and I would like to move them to the new server. I already moved all mailboxes. I tried the .PST option without success. Thanks for your help Percy configure replicas of all the public folders on your new Exchange server...then after you're certain everything has been replicated, remove the instances on the old server... "Percy" <Percy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:21622024-FEB8-4D82-B8AC-194B50BD4085@microsoft.com... > What is the easiest...

Number of posts not showing up in Public Folders
In Microsoft Outlook 2003, under 'All Public Folders, I created a folder for mail items called Support. When I send an e-mail to Support@mydomain.com, the e-mail arrives to the public Support folder, but I do not get a count like (1) showing that there is one new e-mail inside the folder. The only way to know if e-mail came in is to physically check the public folder(s). Is there a way areound this so that the unread mail in the public folders will show up outside the folder? TIA r042wal wrote: > In Microsoft Outlook 2003, under 'All Public Folders, I created a > fol...

Blank tasks appearing in Outlook 2002.
I have a user who is experiencing a reoccurring problem with her tasks in Outlook. Every time she clicks on her calendar, in Outlook 2002, a blank task appears under her task folder. In addition; anyone viewing her calendar, from their respective PCs, that click on her calendar generates a blank task in the original user’s task folder. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? ...

Task Wizard XML Viewer
We are in the process of moving mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 box to an Exchange 2003. I downloaded and installed the Exchange SDK to have the capabilities to read the Task Wizard logs. It worked the first to batch runs, but now it doesn't. I can't see the old or the new log files. I got the following error: Line: 45 Char: 7 Error: 'document.frames(...).document.all.OutputArea' is null or not an object Code: 0 Url: file://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\TaskWizard.hta do you want to continue running scripts on this page? it doesn't matter if I...

Fonts Colors For Tasks
Is there a way in Outlook to get more than the standard color selections for fonts? I'm creating a task list with 10 different members and I'd like to have each member's task colored differently. It's true that Outlook offers more than 10 colors but some of those colors don't display well. TIA you only have the colors shown on the color picker. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/exp...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

How to delete system public folder in Exchange?
Hello, does anybody know how to remove the system public folder? My situation is as follow: I have created new offline address list named "Test Offline Address List" for testing purposes. I deleted this list few days after. I expected that public folder "/o=My_Organization/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Test Offline Address List" which is under OFFLINE ADDRESS BOOK will have been deleted after public store maintenance. But I was wrong. So I tryied to delete the subfolders "OAB Version 2" and "OAB Version 3a" myself within ESM. Deletion was successful. But I ...

Changing view on multiple folders?
Is it possible to change a view or view settings to multiple folders in one step or do I have to do repeat the steps for each folder? Thanks Malin ...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Macro for refresh folder
Hi All, Would like to know how to write a macro in outlook to click on tools -> refresh this folder. Please help. With kind regards Oracleinform ...

Deleting unused folders
A few years ago GFI was configured here such that the filters move spam email into separate spam folders under Inbox, with names such as Bayesian, SPF, Keyword, and Blacklist. This was done initially so that we could get an idea of which filters were catching spam, and which were more likely to get false positives. We are now very tired of having to check all these folders, so we're going to reconfigure them all to move mail to the user's Junk Email folder. My question is this: is there an easy way to delete all of these now unnecessary folders? Or do I need to tell my users th...

Cached Mode, Offline Folders
Hi all I have a mobile user who wants to take certain public folders away on his laptop. There are five folders in total with upto 5 Gb of messages (many large attachments). Can someone please explain how this cached mode works wrt roaming profiles? So you make the folders available off-line buy adding them to your favourites, and these messages are added to your .ost file? Does your .ost file become part of your windows roaming profile? My immediate concern is a sudden chunk of additional data appearing either in the Exchange database or on our Domain Controller in the form of a huge ...

Repetitive Task
Hello all. I apologize ahead of time, as this is probably a basic function, though I am new to Microsoft Project. I am having trouble figuring out how to break down repetitive task. This has been accomplished through excel for the past several years, but now needs to be in MPM. The project I am putting together is production based. A single item is broken down into four fazes; work, QC, Finals, Summary. Let's say it takes a total of 3 hours per item. Not to big a deal, yet I am dealing with on average 300+ items per area. This will be ongoing, with new areas added as the year ...

Copy a particular column of all the Worksheets in a folder in a new worksheet
Hi Please can anyone help me on below query:- I have different workbooks in a folder. All workbooks are of the same format column 1 is having unique identification of rows. Column 32 contain the update of the order (column 1 ) on a particular day. Column 1 of recently added file contain all the orders . say column 1 of day 1 will have 10 entries, column 1 of last file will have all these 10 columns plus new entries. Now I need a macro which can club column 32 of all the files in a new workbook, from column 2 onwards. column 1 will be the same as column 1 of the recently added fil...

Printing Tasks for Active Day only
Outlook 2003: When I print my calendar including tasks, the Tasks listed in outlook are only the tasks that are active for that day, but when I print, all tasks for the week are listed. Anybody know of a way for the Active Tasks only print? Pat ...

IMAP in Outlook Express
IMAP accounts in OE have a special tab called IMAP. This tab enables by default special folders: Sent Items ("Sent Items path") and Drafts ("Drafts path"). But since there's just one checkbox, how can one enable just ONE of the special folders? Blank entries aren't accepted. That's it, that's the question. For those of you who might ask "who needs to enable just one folder?" instead of answering the question, I'll provide a real life example. Gmail's instructions clearly state: enable Drafts WITHOUT enabling Sent Items, a...

Sync only selected task folders?
I have a huge file of tasks, some outdated, in my outlook. I want to keep those tasks so that I can search for things should I need them, however I do not need them all to sync to my handheld (this is overwhelming and slows down my phone). I want to move all the old tasks into a different folder, and have that folder NOT sync to my handheld. So, my question is, how can I sync only selected folders of tasks to my handheld? I am using Office 2007 on a Windows XP system, and I use ActiveSync. Thank you! -- bea17 Move the old tasks to a Task folder outside of your mail...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Public folder replication between sites
Hi, I have mixed mode Exchange 2003 organization. There are 3-Exc5.5 and 2-Exchange 2003 sites. I try to replicate public folders. PFs are replicated to Exc5.5 sites but not replicated to Exc2003 site. I can see 3018 and 3019 in the event viewer in source Exchange whenever I force replication. At the same time I see event id 3093 but I am sure that Public folder replication agent is running because I find an event id which shows replication agent started. Note: There are checkpoints in every sites. However there is no restriction between Exchanges and DCs. I wait for your help please. Thank...

How to compact Public Folders in Exchange 2000?
How can I compact public folder (pub1.EDB) in Exchange 2000/Windows 2000 Thank Taj Haslani Yes, by doing an offline defrag of the Public Information Store with eseutil. http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/8496/pg/2/2.htm l Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server >-----Original Message----- >How can I compact public folder (pub1.EDB) in Exchange 2000/Windows 2000? > >Thanks > >Taj Haslani >. > ...

Macro and scheduled task
I have set up a schedule task to run a macro that will enter Dynamics, rebuild the combined sales forecasts and then exit Dynamics. (all on our SQL server) It runs each night automatically. It runs fine, unless someone consoles to the SQL server and then ends the session (so the SQL server has the CTRL-ALT-Del to log back on) I guess basically if the SQL server is logged out, the macro hangs on the logon window in Dynamics with an error message of 'Window not active' Any suggestions other than checking the SQL server each night when I go home to make sure it is logged on? t...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

Orphaned Public Folder
Hello, i have the following problem with exchange 2003 under windows 2003. The Exchange Server had a problem with the public store, it was not passible to recover it. As it was anyway the time i installed Exchange on a new server and moved all mailboxex successfully. Then i took the former exchange server off-line. Now it workes well, a new public folder store is in use etc. The problem is, that the old public folder, which not exists anymore are still displayed in Outlook and esm. I know that these Informations are stored in Active Directory, but how can i delete them? From ESM i ge...