Archived, but PST is empty???

Outlook 2000, Exchange 5.5....
I "archived" my e-mail to c:\my documents\myname.pst.
E-mail vanished from my in-box as expected.
The pst file is 5MB in size
BUT when I open that pst file, there is nothing in it.
I tried the repair tool and it found no errors.
If I drag another e-mail into that archive, it is there, but nothing else.
Nothing in the deleted items, either.

How can I get to those 5MB of e-mails that must be there??
Randy

0
elvis4497 (1)

You might try some of the tips listed at
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm to try to recover a damaged
..PST.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:OIyubk7IEHA.3240@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Randy Hislop wrote:

> Outlook 2000, Exchange 5.5....
> I "archived" my e-mail to c:\my documents\myname.pst.
> E-mail vanished from my in-box as expected.
> The pst file is 5MB in size
> BUT when I open that pst file, there is nothing in it.
> I tried the repair tool and it found no errors.
> If I drag another e-mail into that archive, it is there, but nothing
> else. Nothing in the deleted items, either.
>
> How can I get to those 5MB of e-mails that must be there??
> Randy

The location of the .pst-file!?!
Hi, I have noticed that Outlook's .pst-file by default is located in the 'Local Settings' part of the profile. What is the idea here? We are using roaming profiles partially because we can use a central backup system on all our users' profiles, but since this part of the profile isn't copied down to the server, there will be no backup of the .pst-file :-( I find it kind of risky to not have this file backuped... What does Microsofts suggest to do here? Regards, /LS Lennart Svenssson <lensv@ituf.liu.se> wrote: > I have noticed that Outlook's .p...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Importing a PST File #2
Further to my previous Posts. 1. I have backed up the outlook.pst file to CD using NERO 2. I have restored the outlook.pst file to a seperate folder 3. I have checked the file attribute and made sure the archive bit is off 4. I have run the scanpst program over the outlook.pst file. SCANPST came up with a large number of errors (I have the file). An example is: !!PMap page @6112768: PTYPE mismatch (read 00, expected 83) !!PMap page @6112768: BID mismatch (read 0, expected 5D4600) When I open or import the outlook.pst file, there are 2 empty folders... recovered and deleted. Any s...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Repair PST file in Outlook
Hi I have spent hours and hours to solve this problem: My PC broke down and I had to repair the outlook 2000 pst- file. Ewerything seemed to work just fine when repairinh. I was told that most messeges were repaired, Whe I imported the mail-folders it also seemed to be just fine BUT ALL IMPORTED FOLDERS WERE EMPTY. I did watch the import-proces and I'm sure that a lot of mails were im fact imported (names were shown). Also when a folder contained many mails it took quit some time to import. the "new" pst file were app. the same size before and after repair. I have followed...

Find/Replace an empty field
In the Find & Replace thingy, is there a way to Find an empty field? I want to search my "Country" field, and on any record that has this field empty, I want to replace it with "United States" Doable? James Sweet! Works like a charm. Thanks Falty "Falty" <Falty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBE4476E-EB30-4544-804A-B1C91168F1A4@microsoft.com... > Create a query on the table where the data is stored. In the criteria for > Country write "Is Null". check to make sure that this query brings up all > the > ...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

Import of .pst files from one Outlook to another Outlook
I'm working in Outlook 2002 and my computer has been reinstalled (formated etc.). Now I want to import the old files from Outlook into the exact same Outlook (just reinstalled on a new partition). I can't do this. It's possible to import from Outlook Express and other programs but not form another Outlook! I have the files backed up from earlier. Personal Folders(1).pst Outlook.pst extend.dat archive.pst I can't believe it's not possible to import these files... Please help me. Morten Why are you trying to import a native Outlook file type? (BTW - you can only use ...

I lost my pst
I'm using Outlook XP, and upgraded from WIN98 to XP. I was shocked to find all my previous emails, contacts, etc. were gone. Ran Search to find pst, it's not on hard drive. Please help! I really need to retrieve this data. In Windows XP, you need to turn on searching hidden and system files/folders. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John ask...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Outlook 2002/XP: Automatic Export to *.pst backup? PLEASE
Hi .. Since I had reinstall WinXP Pro and MS Office Pro 2002/XP a handy little trick has gone AWOL. I used to have Outlook set so that, every two days, on shutdown, it automatically offered to back up as much as possible to a *.pst file. This was very handy on reinstallation. I have tried all I can think of and cannot work it out. Does anyone know how it's done? Thanks in advance. David David Probett davidprobett@pobox.com "David Probett" <davidprobett@***> wrote in message news:51uuu1h9jb5pb4v5stq7i04iap1jfdl3q4@4ax.com... > Hi > . > Since I had reinstall...

error when copying PST folder into Exchange 2000 mailbox
Hi, I have an old PST file. Scanpst.exe has been run and a couple of errorr repaired. I can open the PST fine in Outlook 2003 SP3. When I try to copy a folder from the PST into an Exchange 2003 mailbox, I see this error: Unable to move or copy folders. Can't copy folder. A top-Level folder can't be copied to one of its subfolders. Of, you may not have appropriate permissions for the folder. To check your permissions for the folder, right-click the folder, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. The folder and the items actually copies OK, but Outlook displays this error. W...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

CRM SFO Client: .ost or .pst?
Hi, I've installed the Outlook client more times than I want to admit, and I have always just installed on top of the existing .pst profile. I have recently been told by another consultant that MS Support recommends using an .ost (server-based) profile. Does anybody have any similar advice? Thanks, Dave (davidlcarr@nospam_earthlink.net) "Dave Carr" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1722701c44903$93a414b0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > I've installed the Outlook client more times than I want > to admit, and I have always just ins...

Which .pst file?
Between moving and having to use a webmail, and then having to reinstall my system, I have ended up with 2 personal folders for Outlook 2003 and I can't tell which is which. THe one I am using and which has current email has an empty address book so that when I click "to" in a new message, I get a box saying that the Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened, After I OK to close the box, a Select Names box opens. It has b drop down list containing two "contact" files. The second one has the address. When I look at the folder conta...

archived messages #2
i recently archived a large number of messages from the last year or so, but when i open the .pst file in outlook 2000 it says that there are no files contained. i know there is data there because the .pst file reads a size of 162MB on my drive. where is this info and why can i not access it? also, everytime i view the properties[advanced properties] for this file there is a check box selected that reads "file is ready for archiving" which none of my other archive files have checked. but once i uncheck that box and try to open the file it resets that option to the way it...

error 0x80040600 opening a .pst file
Hi When I try to open an existing .pst file using Outlook 2002, ( 10.4219.4219) SP-2 I get the following error code: 0x80040600 and the message: errors have been detected in the file, quit all mail enabled applications and use the inbox repair tool. I have tried adding the .pst file, importing it, opening it etc and get the same error everytime. I copied this file from an Dell laptop running windows 2000 to a dell laptop running windows 2000. I was using Oulook 2000 and now use Outlook 2002 ( Office 2000 versus Office XP ). Any ideas Like it stated; run the inbox repair tool. This is scanp...

Archive
Has there been a resolution to this as I have a member of staff with the exact same problem and I have to give him and endless cap :/ EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Archive not archiving
Help please. I am trying to archive email folders. Archive runs, creates an archive folder (and .pst file) but does nothing else. i.e no data is moved to the Archive folders. This is not a case of selected date - a lot of this info is 2 years old. No matter what date I select nothing is moved. Same if i try to archive calendar or other folders. I see others have had this problem - is there a solution or is this an outlook problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks D If you are working with an Exchange Server you may want to look at MKBA 297226 and 143376. >-----Original Mes...

Open up Archives then delete Archive folder.
I'm trying to open up those "archive.psd" and can't open them. The only think that happens is that I keep adding Archive Folders and then I can't do anything with the Archive folder. Can you tell me how to open up a file called "archive.psd"? So far I've tried File>Open>Outlook Data File, then I select the archive.psd file and all that happens is I keep adding Archive folders that I can't do anything with. How can I delete "Archive Folders"? Thanks. IS. PST, do you mean? PSD isn't a valid extension for an Outlook file. IS ...

Archiving the whole store with an exception to one mailbox
I need to archive a mailbox store with the execption of a couple of mailboxes in that store. Is this possible? Thanks in advance Per-store only as far as I know. You'd have to move the mailboxes you want to exclude to a different store. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "JOHNC" <ha@ac.om> wrote in message news:uQXxEFntEHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to archive a mailbox store with the execption of a couple of > mailboxes in that store. Is this possible? > > Thanks in advance &...

Outlook 2k pst files
In which directory should oulook.pst file be? I am getting an error at start-up that my .pst file cannot be found. Do I want to create a new one or open an existing one? I answer the latter and the program goes to my documents folder to get the .pst file. This must be the wrong location for it to ask this question every time I start up. Any help would be appreciated on where to put this file. Thanks, Ellen Go to Start | Find | Files or Folders and do a search for *.PST. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://home.h...

Can I convert an Outlook 2000 PST to Outlook 2003
We have upgraded from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003. Is there a fast way to convert my old PST files to Outlook 2003 so that they are not limited to 2 GB size? I don't want to have to go through all of the folders on 30 computers and drag one folder at a time from the old file to the new file. Thanks, Joe I have had pretty good luck importing. Of course, when you import, you = will no longer have access to any custom forms, views, or Rules Wizard = rules.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.h...