Archive command does not remove anything

We have not tried to archive since installing exchange 2003
Trying to get users in a good habit I put a warning
message to tell people to start archiving to a .pst file
on there local machine, It does not work for any one, this
feature was fine when we used to use microsoft mail with
everyones mail on their own .pst files. We click file then
archive and the icon shows in the lower right corner that
it is doing something but nothing leaves the inbox and no
copies of messages appear in the archive folders. There
are no error messages. It looks like the process has
worked but nothing happends.Clients are outlook 2003,
Server is win2ksp4 with exchange 2003 no sp1 yet.

Need help before users profiles get too large and exceed
therir mail box limit.
..

0
anonymous (74719)

steven wrote:
> We have not tried to archive since installing exchange 2003
> Trying to get users in a good habit I put a warning
> message to tell people to start archiving to a .pst file
> on there local machine, It does not work for any one, this
> feature was fine when we used to use microsoft mail with
> everyones mail on their own .pst files. We click file then
> archive and the icon shows in the lower right corner that
> it is doing something but nothing leaves the inbox and no
> copies of messages appear in the archive folders. There
> are no error messages. It looks like the process has
> worked but nothing happends.Clients are outlook 2003,
> Server is win2ksp4 with exchange 2003 no sp1 yet.
>
> Need help before users profiles get too large and exceed
> therir mail box limit.

See
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD -
if you store the files locally, you really can't support them or back them
up, and if you instead store the PST files on the network, note that this
isn't supported by MS.

It may be time to uprade to Enterprise if you're using Standard, or if it's
just a disk space issue, add another drive on that server & move the
databases there.

OK, back to the point. To address your question - note that archive works on
the date *modified*, not the date you see. Could that be related?

> .

0
lanwench (7567)

Exchange Server removing stripping deleting X-header lines in some stores
The anti-spam solution we use in our company adds specific taglines to the SMTP headers of mail messages, in the form of X-headers, to identify probable spam and virus messages. Our Outlook clients then run Rules that key on those header taglines, and move or delete the probable spam and virus messages. However, our upgrade from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003 has created a problem in this arena. If the incoming messages are routed through one Exchange Server to a recipient on another Exchange Server, the X-header lines may all be stripped out. I say "may", because this isn...

move to archived folders works, archiving to same archived folders does not work
We are using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. Most of our users work on Terminal Server. Their pst-files are stored on a directory on the file and print server. Some of these users can move mails from their mailbox to their archived folders, but cannot archive to it. They get the message that the pst file cannot be opened. However at that moment they can still browse in their archived folders, move mail to it and so on. For one user I created a new pst file, but the problem staid the same. Does anyone have experience with this? ...

Sounds and Audio Devices
Although I turn off all alerts in Sounds and Audio Devices I notice that I have some programs listed that I no longer have on my computer. One example is Avast! Antivirus. I uninstalled this and then used the complete removal tool before installing MSE. There does not appear to be a way of deleting the program from the list. As stated, I don't want any system or program sound alerts but I notice that IE is not a listed program should I change my mind. How do you add/remove programs in Sounds and Audio Devices? Smirnoff wrote: > Although I turn off all alerts in Sou...

Archive
Hi, I'm trying to archive some calendar items and have found the archive settings for the folder. When I run the archive process the items are not moved from the calendar and the folder size is not reduced. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to set this up so that items prior to a point in time can be moved off so that the size of my calendar folder doesn't reach the size limit of my over zealous exchange administrator. Cheers, Darren. Check the Modified date on the items that aren't being archived as you think they should. That's the date Outlook uses to...

Money 2002 removal
OS is XP Home. Suspect there is a conflict between Money and Excel. Money is not being used and will not uninstall using Control Panel. A search of the Knowledge Base brought me to K2808303. This page appears to be corrupted. It lists topics on removing a folder and making a registry change, but these are not shown entirely or at all. If someone could post the instructions it will be gratefully received. Thanks Charlie ...

antivirus removed active log file, db now labeled inconsistent.
Hi At 10:30 on Friday night Mcaffee labled th E03.log file for 2 mailbox stores as a virus and then tried removing it from the log file folder. This caused the 2 stores to dismount. In my panic I copied the quarantined file over the E03.log file. Stupid, I know. The databases are have now been labled as inconsistent. NO BACKUPS!! We were in the process of changing our backup system so the last valid backup is for the 12 of June. The other mailbox stores have been remounted and are operational. As mail was starting to queue and we are a 24/7 company I spent 5 hours recreating user accounts....

Removal of "unsafe attachments"
I am new at using most computers. I am having a challenge with OE removing access to "unsafe attachments" from people I know and trust. I am not sure what the challenge is or how to resolve it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Tiffany See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570 This newsgroup is for MS Access, the database product. If you have further questions about Outlook Express, ask your question in one of the newsgroups with outlookexpress in the name such as microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress -- Joan Wild Microsoft Access MVP ...

Archiving pages
Hi All, The pages in one of the our publishing site are around 1500. So it?s showing effect on search crawling index and sometimes throwing an error like System out of memory (usually in full crawl). Our ram size is 4 gb for index server. Is there any method for archive the pages in page document library. And the important thing is the data must be handy, so the archival process should accommodate ability to retrieve the archived content quickly. pls suggest me. Thanks in Advance sukumar.k Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Consuming WebServices...

Editing the code for windows command message for tiling
hello, In a normal MDI application there is a option for TILE/CASCADE in WINDOWS menu.Normally whatever windows are there in the mainframe opened up,those are "tiled" along the mainframe.Can we edit the windows command code for this?for example -i want to tile the child windows but such that they should occupy only certain portion of MDI window and not go below it.That is on tiling they shouldnt occupy the whole of MainFrame window I need an urgent solution for this please help Here is a quick way of doing what you want. You need to change the id of the menu item to some...

deleting empty folders after archive
IS there a way to delete folders which are left empty after you perform an archive? I have approx 300 or so folders that are empty since my archive application completed but they still show up and there seems to be no way except one at a time to delete them. There should be a method to state if folder size = 0 then delete folder. Shane ...

Archival Data -- Managing over Time
I am developing a set of data that I will do some research on, and others as well. My plan is to keep the source data in one workbook in a very simple format, and not do any calculations or charts in that workbook. I'll do my charts in other workbooks, and will send the source data workbook to others when they request. The idea is to reduce corruption and accidental modifications to the source data over time. Is this a good plan? Any other comments about how to protect the accuracy and stability of the source data over time? I understand I can essentially make the source file read...

duplicate messages when opening archives / archive inbox emptied?
Outlook appears to be re-downloading all messages (700+) from my hotmail pop3 account. (again...) This only (?) appears to happen on the same days when I try and find an archived email in my inbox. The two times that it has happened today (it has never happened twice on one day before), I was working on a Word document. So I was not deleting emails at the time. (I have seen an errata re to message IDs getting out of sync, but this looks like a different problem.) I do not think that it is my Norton anti-virus. I have disabled the email portion of the software after the fir...

Archive an Archive?
LOL, i'm sure this will sound like a dumb idea but ... I want to set up a sorta two tier archive system ... Archive once to keep the PST folders small say keep everything within the last 3 months in the first archive have it accessable say for the last years worth of email, but archive anything older then a year to a new archive folder that can be burned off to a dvd or cd for filing.. Any thoughts or recommendations? Use Auto-archiving feature in Outlook to do this. You could set it up so it archives mail older than 12 months to a file named archive.pst and burn that pst file ...

Sort Start -> Programs from command line
Hello, I've done numerous web and usenet searches over the past few days and come up short, and am hoping now to get somebody's input... I am not a C programmer, but am looking for a registry or command line technique, or a small 3rd party command line tool that performs the right-click -> Sort By Name feature on the Windows XP Programs menu. (Or similarly, the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Control Panel's Sort button.) It would obviously be helpful if it worked for newer OS's, too. From what I can tell, there is no built-in way to do this, wit...

Excel 2007 Ribbon
We had a series of engineering worksheets created in earlier versions of Excel that utilized custom toolbars created solely for the worksheets. they would be attached to the files which is how they were distributed to guys out in the field. Now that we are in the Office 2007 realm, our custom toolbars have been inserted into the Excel ribbon when our worksheets were opened. We have rewritten our engineering sheets to work with Excel 2007. Our problem is we cannot get rid of the many custom toolbars that have been populated on our Add Ins tab when Excel 2007 is opened on our machi...

Does Excel 2003 have a shortcut command to wrap text in a cell?
When cells in a spreadsheet are populated with text, is there a shortcut command that can be added to the toolbar for 'wrap text'? Also, when there is a long text string entered in a cell, it appears across multiple [blank] cells in that row automatically. If this is a formatting feature, how/where can I access this option? There is no specific button for that command, but you can either add the Cells... button or create a simple that can be attached to a custom button. The long text issue, I believe, is normally considered a feature that allows longer labels to be fully dis...

Form/Subform/Command Button to Open Form
I have a table (1), one subform (2) and another "subform" (3), which is a form being opened by a command button on the subform (2). I have been agonizing over this for at least a week and cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. (However, in my journey I have learned how to debug and use the immediate window!) The last straw was when I fixed one problem only to have a Type Mismatch error! Below is the code for the command button on the subform (2): Private Sub cmdbtnProgressNotes_Click() On Error GoTo Err_cmdbtnProgressNotes_Click Dim strLinkCriteria As St...

anyone know anything bout music
me need help to write lyric ...

archived messages #2
i recently archived a large number of messages from the last year or so, but when i open the .pst file in outlook 2000 it says that there are no files contained. i know there is data there because the .pst file reads a size of 162MB on my drive. where is this info and why can i not access it? also, everytime i view the properties[advanced properties] for this file there is a check box selected that reads "file is ready for archiving" which none of my other archive files have checked. but once i uncheck that box and try to open the file it resets that option to the way it...

Manually remove exchange from AD
Like this? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q273478&ID=KB;EN-US;Q273478 Regards, -- Arlo Clizer Exchange MVP FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: http://groups.google.com ...

Removing the ' before numbers
Hi all, Quick question for you. Does anyone know a way (using formula's, cell settings or by way of macro) to remove the little ' that appear before numbers in excel after exporting from databases? I would just delete them but I have 30,000+!! They are hindering my ability to do lookups. I cannot export differently from the database either as I do not have the file. Cheers, GW -- giantwolf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ giantwolf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24718 View this thread: http...

Why did excel stopped showing me Macro Commands Help Window ?
I must have done something wrong. While I was in the VBA Editor working on a macro, Excel2000 used to show me suitable commands as I type in...Now suddenly it stopped. I'd appreciate if someone help me correct this. TIA Martyn When you are in the VBA editor do tools>options there you can set things like that -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Martyn" <ayes@post.com> wrote in message news:OHDJNvz8DHA.1636@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I must have done something wrong. While I was in the VBA Editor working on a > macro, Excel2000 used to show me suitable commands as I typ...

Archive
Has there been a resolution to this as I have a member of staff with the exact same problem and I have to give him and endless cap :/ EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

Archive not archiving
Help please. I am trying to archive email folders. Archive runs, creates an archive folder (and .pst file) but does nothing else. i.e no data is moved to the Archive folders. This is not a case of selected date - a lot of this info is 2 years old. No matter what date I select nothing is moved. Same if i try to archive calendar or other folders. I see others have had this problem - is there a solution or is this an outlook problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks D If you are working with an Exchange Server you may want to look at MKBA 297226 and 143376. >-----Original Mes...

Errors after removing old Exchange server
After removing our old Exchange 2000 server we have issues with Outlook 2003 clients getting error "0x8004010f" when clicking the send receive button. After doing a bit of research I beleive that the old server still housed the following: OAB Version 2 Offline Address Book Schedule+ Free Busy Information I cannot bring the old server back to life now ! Is there a way to rehome these functions to the new Exchange 2003 server manually??? If we did not replicate the system folders off of the decommissioned server we will need to recreate them. You can use a utility that is avail...