After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it

The subject line says it all.  On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2
upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links
to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link
button).  The error signature is always the same:
  AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937
  ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de
  fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d
And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there
is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is.

With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I have insured all updates
to Windows have been as well as all updates to MS Office 2003.

Additional info: Google search for the offset, 0001f0e3d, finds
nothing; but for the ModStamp 40d147de it finds
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2e8a01c48eba%240d9757e0%24a301280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D40d147de%26ie%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch
which seems to describe this same error (after update of Win XP, get
this error (only thing missing is the last line above ("fDebug: 0
Offset: 0001f0e3d") but I can't quite tell since it's in German; it
seems to then suggest using
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm "/safe:1" thru
"/safe:4" to possibly fix it, although I don't see how these could do
any good.

What should I do to fix this?

Thanks!  -Mike Parker, www.Cytex.com
0
MBParker (3)

What exactly is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this?

Stating Outlook with the /safe switch will help determine whether it's
Outlook causing the crash or one of the installed Outlook add-ins you might
have.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-What do the Outlook Icons Mean?

-----
"Michael B. Parker" <MBParker@Alum.MIT.Edu> wrote in message
> The subject line says it all.  On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2
> upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links
> to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link
> button).  The error signature is always the same:
>  AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937
>  ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de
>  fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d
> And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there
> is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is.
>
> With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I have insured all updates
> to Windows have been as well as all updates to MS Office 2003.
>
> Additional info: Google search for the offset, 0001f0e3d, finds
> nothing; but for the ModStamp 40d147de it finds
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=2e8a01c48eba%240d9757e0%24a301280a%40phx.gbl&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D40d147de%26ie%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch
> which seems to describe this same error (after update of Win XP, get
> this error (only thing missing is the last line above ("fDebug: 0
> Offset: 0001f0e3d") but I can't quite tell since it's in German; it
> seems to then suggest using
> http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm "/safe:1" thru
> "/safe:4" to possibly fix it, although I don't see how these could do
> any good.
>
> What should I do to fix this?
>
> Thanks!  -Mike Parker, www.Cytex.com

0
Roady
9/16/2004 7:26:19 AM
"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote in message news:<#UnVq47mEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...

Thanks for taking a stab at it, Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]!
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem those things fix it, though maybe we're
a tad closer (something to do with a "Bucket")...

> What exactly is logged to the Event Viewer regarding this?

"Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.6353.0, stamp
408f2937, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.6360.0, stamp
40d147de, debug? 0, fault address 0x0001f0e3"
(plus the "Data" bytes, which are just the field values (as
"40d147de") here.

-- While it would be great to get more detail, this error message is
content-wise identical to the Error-Signature I reported here, except
that error signature also gives one more digit ("d") for the address:
"Offset: 0001f0e3d".

The error also has a link to the Help and Support Center with details
of the error passed to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp., but
this returns just "We're sorry \ There is no additional information
about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base
databases at this time."

However, in addition to this type "Error" event, there is also
immediately after a type "Information" event, which contains this
exact error message above, BUT IT'S PREFIXED BY "Bucket 120110133,
bucket table 1, ".   "Bucket" may be related to a hash-table sorting
algorithm, so perhaps a bucket is overflowing or running out of
buckets?   I don't know, but searching for "bucket mso.dll" on google
yields other errors, even with outlook.

> Stating Outlook with the /safe switch will help determine whether it's
> Outlook causing the crash or one of the installed Outlook add-ins you might
> have.

Okay, in the command prompt, in directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11" (where Outlook.exe 2003 appears to reside), I tried:
   Outlook /safe
as you seemed to recommend, plus also all the "safe:" varients (from
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm) which seemed
relevant, including:
  Outlook /safe:3   ["Starts Outlook with extensions turned off, but
listed in the Add-In Manager."]
  Outlook /safe:4 ["Starts Outlook without loading Outcmd.dat
(customized toolbars) and *.fav file."]
In addition, I also didn't log into the Exchange server, for extra
caution.
But the result was pretty much the same.  As before, I could (mostly)
create new contact provided I didn't click it's "Contacts..." field.
But, when I went to click on the "Contact..." (link contacts to here)
button, if the contact had not already been saved, Outlook would still
crash immediately after that save went thru; and if the contact had
already been saved, the "Contacts..." button would seem to have done
it's job; but again, when eventually the contact would get saved
immediately after the save, as before, Outlook would crash, always
with this error.

I'VE DISCOVERED A FLAKY WORK AROUND: avoiding the Contact's
"Contacts..." button, and this sometimes avoids the crash: instead
open a Journal entry and use it's "Contacts..." button, then cut out
the contacts link it adds and paste it into the Contact.  Again,
though, sometimes I still crash, sometimes later when not doing
anything, as if you're still doomed after this (adding Contact links
to a Contact), but the doom is delayed.

Also possibly worth mention I also tried "Detect and Repair" but no
change, either:  searching for 40d147de, I found this almost exact
error also occurred in WinXP but under FrontPage 2003
(http://www.frontpagewebmaster.com/m_217111/tm.htm) and there was a
suggestion to try Detect & Repair, which I tried (in my Outlook 2003)
but that didn't change anything.

I haven't found any good fix or even workaround, which is very bad.
BUG IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM FOR ME because I use Outlook more than any
other application, and it's meaning I can't create new contacts nor
update the contacts I've already got, at least without risking a crash
and loosing all journal edits and most anything else not saved.  As
I've seen, even just a small edit to a contact's name or memo field
can crash everything.  Doing normal networking, I meet new contacts
every day, and now I think "Oh, boy, meeting this person,  is going to
mean my Outlook will crash again...  even just adding them to our
email list (done properly with a contact for each person)"   Hopefully
Microsoft or someone will find a fix.

I might try removing XP SP2, but that sounds pretty drastic and, since
I probably many people don't do it, probably dangerous.  Oh boy...
0
MBParker (3)
9/17/2004 9:33:11 PM
..
MBParker@Alum.MIT.Edu (Michael B. Parker) wrote in message news:<bf3af7c9.0409171333.749b8e62@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
>

> I haven't found any good fix or even workaround, which is very bad.
> BUG IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM FOR ME because I use Outlook more than any
> other application, and it's meaning I can't create new contacts nor
> update the contacts I've already got, at least without risking a crash
> and loosing all journal edits and most anything else not saved.  As
> I've seen, even just a small edit to a contact's name or memo field
> can crash everything.  Doing normal networking, I meet new contacts
> every day, and now I think "Oh, boy, meeting this person,  is going to
> mean my Outlook will crash again...  even just adding them to our
> email list (done properly with a contact for each person)"   Hopefully
> Microsoft or someone will find a fix.
>
> I might try removing XP SP2, but that sounds pretty drastic and, since
> I probably many people don't do it, probably dangerous.  Oh boy...

Outlook Express
When composing an email is it possible to move the margin on the right the way the lefthand side can be indented? Does that make sense? -- LibraLady1 You need to ask your question in the Outlook Express newsgroup http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general&cat=en_US_84883150-57ad-41d0-b145-8f6c650b58ef&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "TeresaEllen" <TeresaEllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Outlook 2007 clients with Exchange 2003
Is there any issue with this? Does this work? I'm currently testing with a limited group that I upgraded the client to 2007 . Everything seems ok, but... they were all upgrades, what about new additions and permissions and calandering, etc... Just needed to know if they play together nicely or if Exchange 2007 is needed. None and works great. (Office/Outlook 2007 SP2 on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 against Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2.) "JustSc0tt" <JustSc0tt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8BDE702-419C-4679-B1BD-64E1151E0E97@microsoft.com....

Upgrade question, Office X to 2004
ok, new offer came out that i could not resist....buy upgrade to office 2004 for mac and when 2008 comes out, small upgrade fee....so i bought it. now, i have the program here and i was about to install it......then the thought hits me, what will happen to my emails and contacts in entourage, will the be safe? is there a way to back up the email files and contacts just in case? On November8Thursday11/8/07 8:23 PM, in article 1194582183.071213.155140@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, "gtaylor@ifeme.com" <gtaylor@ifeme.com> wrote: > now, i have the program here and i was about...

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

Printing a workbook one row at a time filling in a form with the d
Hello I have a workbook with about 20,000 rows of data. I want to design a form and have the information from one row inserted into the form and be printed out. The form would also have empty places for the sales people to write additional information on the paper after they make the sales call. The information is name, phone number, address and several other customer related information cells. I am using Excell 2000. IF possible I would like to print these 2 up on a standard piece of paper 8.5 by 11 inches. This means I would print two forms on one page with a seperate record/row fi...

Outlook sending messages attachments corrupt??
Hi there I can't send any messages with attachment any more?? Attachments upon arrival appear as gibberish letters. Or if the attachment is a lager file it produces multiple emails ( up to fifteen single messages) Each email is screened by Norton antivirus 2003. I have not detected virus on my pc. any help would be much appreciated. What is going on?? Regards Norman ...

exporting contacts from outlook express
i'm wondering is it possible to somehow export contact list from outlook express to crm? in outlook express click on file - export - address book then choose Text File (Comma Separated Values) etc. You will end up with a csv file you can use to import into crm ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "greg" <greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:510A2363-D10D-485A-975B-6D9265DAE538@microsoft.com... > i'm wondering is it possible to somehow export contact list from outlook > express...

Outlook 2003 #279
CAN receive email from HTTP accounts. Cannot receive email from Comcast (POP3) account. RK <RK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > CAN receive email from HTTP accounts. Cannot receive email from > Comcast (POP3) account. What happens when you try? -- Brian Tillman a few of the messages arrive...but not all of them. There seems to be no pattern. (There are no messages in junk email.) I am setting up my new laptop computer, but I still have access to the old desktop and that is how I know some messages are not arriving at the new Outlook. In fact, I just noticed the m...

Uninstall Outlook 2002
I installed Office 2003 Beta, when the beta expired I uninstalled 2003 and reinstalled my Office XP. To my surprise OL2002 came up with contacts and e-mails intact, however when I try a send/recieve I get "Operation Failed" as an error message. I uninstalled Office 2002 however OL2002 did not uninstall and it does not show under the Add/Remove programs. Any suggestions? Randy Try this. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312354&Product=ol2002 "Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00d401c3b840$cb23e1d0$...

2 Accounts on Outlook?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C93842.127F2810 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, On my PC I'm running Outlook 2007 connected to an exchange server for = work and Outlook Express (about 5 accounts) pop3 for my personal email. Is there any way I can use Outlook 2007 for all these accounts but not = have the emails merging into 1 inbox etc? Thanks Mark ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C93842.127F2810 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encodi...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1
Microsoft told us that Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 RTM'ed TODAY - when will it be available for download? As the old saying goes: " When its ready" :) On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:00:57 -0600, "Research Services" <key@lamar.n0-sp@m.colostate.edu.NO> wrote: >Microsoft told us that Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 RTM'ed TODAY - when will >it be available for download? > ...

"upgrade" question
Hi, Is it possible to make PST-files (ther is 6 clients) via Outlook 2003 for the purpose to load them into a exchange 2000 server......if I want to go back to my old win2K and Exch2K configuration? My situation now is to try to go to a 2003 installation (testing) but to be sure, that it is possible to go back - with never data. Regards, Torben Broendum I guess if you only have 6 clients, making a PST backup is probably the quickest idea. Or you could simply backup the server before trying the upgrade, which is good practise anyway. Don't forget to backup any public folders you ...

Office 2003 03-11-10
I purchased Office small business 2003 upgrade to replace the temporary trial version when I bought my laptop but I have had to reformat the hard drive on that laptop and I don't have the trial version anymore so the upgrade is useless to me. Do you have any suggestion on how I could resolve this issue. I don't want to buy office all over again JIm S I don't believe you could have "upgraded" a trial version that wasn't licensed. An upgrade version is used to move from an older version to a newer version, not from a trial to a licensed version. ...

Outlook 2003 lose connection to Exchange 2000 Server
Suddently my Outlook 2003 lose connection to Exchange 2000 Server SP3 and seems that internal email are slower than normal. Any idea on this problem? Thanks Simona ...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

Business Portal Project Time & Expense Email Notifications
Hi, Utilising an online system such as the Business Portal Project Time and Expense to facilitate the entry of employee timesheets and expense reports would be made even simpler by having the system cater for email notifications (such as in Requisition Management and EDD). Why is this important? Well, with setting up the system to cater for the types of users who will not be office bound, but do have access to their email while roaming, notfication of saves, submissions, rejections, re-submissions and approvals would greatly facilitate their ability to manage timesheets and expense re...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Outlook 2000 SP3

outlook attatchment read only
when I try and open a attatchment that someone sends me it opens it as a read only file. I can save it as another name. I can also drag it to the desktop and than open it and it won't be read only. Just wondering if there is a setting that I need to change to get this to work. I don't like it when I need to change the name all the time to save it. its only when I receive attatchments. If I receive attatchmet it does it. If I forward back to the person who send it. It does not become read only on there computer It is outlook 2003. When you open the message first and...

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
When I go to send a message and type in the person's first initial it gives me the drop down box to choose who I want to send to. However, there are names in there that I want to delete but I do not know how to delete them? These names are NOT in my address book or contact list, these are names from people that I did business with a couple of years ago and sent emails to and now I want to delete these names from this drop down list. Any suggestions? "steelergal63" <steelergal63@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31E05474-5199-49B3-B2D6-E3...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Outlook Checking Forcing sequential check of multiple pop accounts
I've been bouncing back and forth between outlook and outlook express for quite a while now and I'd use outlook primarily except I'm getting frustrated with how it handles send/receive for multiple POP accounts. If I perform a general send and receive, even after semi limiting the accounts through groups, the downloading of messages takes a long time. I often run into problems where my connection to one of my servers is reset and the ever dreaded problem of duplicate messages. If I do a send/receive on a mailbox by mailbox basis, the downloads are quick and I never seem to run in...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...