Advice please:- i've bought a new laptop and need to transfer across, all my old emails to my new laptop

Hi , i've bought a new laptop and i need to transfer across, all my old
emails to my new laptop , as theres quite a lot of important information in
the emails spanning around 18months , i really need to keep them.

is there a data file i can copy across to my new laptop so that it has all
my old emails etc ? is this possible.

Advice welcomed.

There certainly is, but they vary by data format and location depending on
the e-mail client, operating system, and version of each. So for a more
detailed answer, post back with that information for both old and new
machines, and someone may have an answer.

"Just Wondering" wrote:

> Hi , i've bought a new laptop and i need to transfer across, all my old
> emails to my new laptop , as theres quite a lot of important information in
> the emails spanning around 18months , i really need to keep them.
>
> is there a data file i can copy across to my new laptop so that it has all
> my old emails etc ? is this possible.
>
> Advice welcomed.

0
IanRoy (172)
2/21/2005 1:43:02 AM
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:43:02 -0800, IanRoy
<IanRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There certainly is, but they vary by data format and location depending on
>the e-mail client, operating system, and version of each. So for a more
>detailed answer, post back with that information for both old and new
>machines, and someone may have an answer.
>
>"Just Wondering" wrote:
>
>> Hi , i've bought a new laptop and i need to transfer across, all my old
>> emails to my new laptop , as theres quite a lot of important information in
>> the emails spanning around 18months , i really need to keep them.
>>
>> is there a data file i can copy across to my new laptop so that it has all
>> my old emails etc ? is this possible.
>>
>> Advice welcomed.

Howdy,

Assuming that the OP posted to an Outlook group with
cause...<g>

Search for a file with the extension PST (might be
OUTLOOK.PST) and move it to the new system.

Then you will have to tell Outlook on the new system to
point to that file.

It contains everything you need.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

usenet8890 (45)
2/21/2005 2:00:54 AM
"Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:43:02 -0800, IanRoy
> <IanRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>There certainly is, but they vary by data format and location depending on
>>the e-mail client, operating system, and version of each. So for a more
>>detailed answer, post back with that information for both old and new
>>machines, and someone may have an answer.
>>
>>"Just Wondering" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi , i've bought a new laptop and i need to transfer across, all my old
>>> emails to my new laptop , as theres quite a lot of important information
>>> in
>>> the emails spanning around 18months , i really need to keep them.
>>>
>>> is there a data file i can copy across to my new laptop so that it has
>>> all
>>> my old emails etc ? is this possible.
>>>
>>> Advice welcomed.
>>>

> Howdy,
>
> Assuming that the OP posted to an Outlook group with
> cause...<g>
>
> Search for a file with the extension PST (might be
> OUTLOOK.PST) and move it to the new system.
>
> Then you will have to tell Outlook on the new system to
> point to that file.
>
> It contains everything you need.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Thank you for your reply , i'm running outlook express , i've made a search
via the standard xp search for files and folders , but its not turned up any
pst files , one thing i can add though , is that  i am using a spam filter
that works very well called K9 , i'm not sure this would of renamed the file
, i doudt it though.

So i'm a bit stuck....

Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them.
Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports.
Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups.

You can also find some good Outlook Express information here:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Just Wondering asked:

| "Kenneth" <usenet@SPAMLESSsoleassociates.com> wrote in message
|| On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:43:02 -0800, IanRoy
|| <IanRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
||| There certainly is, but they vary by data format and location
||| depending on the e-mail client, operating system, and version of
||| each. So for a more detailed answer, post back with that
||| information for both old and new machines, and someone may have an
||| answer.
|| Howdy,
|| Assuming that the OP posted to an Outlook group with
|| cause...<g>
|| Search for a file with the extension PST (might be
|| OUTLOOK.PST) and move it to the new system.
|| Then you will have to tell Outlook on the new system to
|| point to that file.
|| It contains everything you need.
|| All the best,
|| --
|| Kenneth
|| If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."
|

| Thank you for your reply , i'm running outlook express , i've made a
| search via the standard xp search for files and folders , but its not
| turned up any pst files , one thing i can add though , is that  i am
| using a spam filter that works very well called K9 , i'm not sure
| this would of renamed the file , i doudt it though.
|
| So i'm a bit stuck....

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
2/21/2005 7:08:43 PM
You haven't been following this group very much, have you?

"Assuming that the OP posted to an Outlook group with cause...<g>"

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, Kenneth asked:

| On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:43:02 -0800, IanRoy
| <IanRoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
|
|| There certainly is, but they vary by data format and location
|| depending on the e-mail client, operating system, and version of
|| each. So for a more detailed answer, post back with that information
|| for both old and new machines, and someone may have an answer.
|| "Just Wondering" wrote:
||| Hi , i've bought a new laptop and i need to transfer across, all my
||| old emails to my new laptop , as theres quite a lot of important
||| information in the emails spanning around 18months , i really need
||| to keep them.
||| is there a data file i can copy across to my new laptop so that it
||| has all my old emails etc ? is this possible.
||| Advice welcomed.
|
| Howdy,
|
| Assuming that the OP posted to an Outlook group with
| cause...<g>
|
| Search for a file with the extension PST (might be
| OUTLOOK.PST) and move it to the new system.
|
| Then you will have to tell Outlook on the new system to
| point to that file.
|
| It contains everything you need.
|
| All the best,

0
MillyS9060 (3207)
2/21/2005 7:10:01 PM
Hi, Just Wondering;
Well, that's one piece of information, but hardly enough. Are you meaning to
transfer e-mail from Outlook Express to Outlook, or from Outlook to Outlook
Express, or perhaps from Outlook Express to Outlook express, not realizing
that Outlook Express is not a version of Outlook? Your procedure would be
different in each case.
Regards,
Ian.

"Just Wondering" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply , i'm running outlook express , i've made a search
> via the standard xp search for files and folders , but its not turned up any
> pst files , one thing i can add though , is that  i am using a spam filter
> that works very well called K9 , i'm not sure this would of renamed the file
> , i doudt it though.
>
> So i'm a bit stuck....
0
IanRoy (172)

Getting email into address book
I know the addresses are saved as when I start a name it appears, but I have 3-400 email addresses. When a message comes in I categorize it, but How to I get them into the address Book...automatically. On 10/18/03 02:45 PM, in article BBB702A6.36E%loey@loeyart.com, "loey@loeyart.com" <loey@loeyart.com> wrote: > I know the addresses are saved as when I start a name it appears, The is the most recently used. More info on MRU: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/faqs.html#anchor-10> >but I have > 3-400 email addresses. When a message comes in I categorize it, b...

Links in Excel 2000...need help
Hi, Would you happen to know how to switch the setting in excel so that when I doubleclick on a cell with a link to another tab (worksheet), it will take me to that tab and specifically the cell referenced? Thx, Maybe you can use a worksheet formula. David McRitchie has posted these formulas that he uses. =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheetone!C5) =HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5) === but you meant like what hap...

OnChange
Given any entity that has a Notes tab, for example, a Contact entity... I would like to automatically create a time-stamped Note via an OnChange script when a selected attribute is changed. I have two questions; is it possible, and how? Thanks! Pat Yes it is possible by first... creating a web service that writes an entry to a note associated with an entity, then using the OnChange event of the field, invoke the web service using XMLHTTPRequest object and pass the necessary parameters. "Patrick" wrote: > Given any entity that has a Notes tab, for example, a Contact enti...

Please Help Me
Please help me im bearly making it ive got so many bills ive tryed providing for my famlie but im bearly making it please send me $5.00 or more to help out im just asking for your help if you dont have it ill just keep trying click below on the link to send me $5.00 or more please help me God bless you all https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=joesluss%40adelphia.net&item_name=five+dollars&item_number=5&amount=5.00&no_note=1&currency_code=USD ...

Need inserted lines to print in correct position on Excel graphs
The aim lines and trend lines that I inserted into the Excel graph appear in the correct position on my monitor screen, but when I print the graph they appear higher than when seen on the screen. How can I get the printed lines to appear in the correct position? Hi, Did you use shapes to draw the lines? You could try changing the Move and cell property. But the best solution would be to create the lines using dummy series. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lavonne" <Lavonne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D4CD...

sending email #16
Hi, Since i installed IE7 I have been having trouble with sending emails. I use outlook from office 2003. Receiving is OK and I can create the message OK but it just sits in the outbox and does not respond to the send command. Help please. ErnieH ...

Need rotation schedule with 6 tables of 6 people for all to meet o
I am trying to develop an algorithm for a networking session. I need a rotation schedule so that everyone will get to meet everyone only once. I will have 6 tables of 6 people at each table for a total of 36 people. I have the tables lettered A B C D E F and 1-36 people numbered and want to rotate everyone through so they all get to talk to each other just once. On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, sccyclist <sccyclist@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I am trying to develop an algorithm for a networking session. I need a >rotation schedule so that eve...

New mail appearing as old deleted item
When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of the new mail showing in bold as new mail. The real new mail is not visible at all and is therefore lost. This problem also used to happen in Windows Mail so I bought Outlook 2007 but it still happens intermittantly. -- Kate What do you see in your Unread Mail folder? "Kate B" <KateB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A95DD7-CFC4-423F-9B2B-F8B72177E2CE@microsoft.com... > When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of > the new mail...

Will un- & reinstalling Outlook'03 delete email & addresses?
I've been plagued with an Outlook problem for about a month. Settings are right. Test email works fine. All other internet related programs are fine. But Outlook gives me a "send/receive error" message as fast as I can hit "Send/Receive". If I keep it open just to check contacts or calendar it always crashes within 10 to 60 minutes. If I start it in safe mode it seems to work all right. I reinstalled and it worked for 30 minutes and then did the same thing. If I Uninstall first, and then Reinstall, will it help? Will I lose my contacts and emails? Help! Find...

What does "Compile error in hidden module:Autoexec New" mean?
I am receiving this error message when i start excel, with saved excel programs as well as new ones I am creating. A PDFMaker add-in problem. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307410 -- Jim "Karla" <Karla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5C336C6-10D3-40BE-8146-C0491DA16804@microsoft.com... |I am receiving this error message when i start excel, with saved excel | programs as well as new ones I am creating. ...

New funny recruitment video for Microsoft..
http://dropkickmonkey.com/2007/12/18/a-good-microsoft-recruitment-video-mindscape-a-new-viral-ad/ ...

Adding old clipart from previous Publishers to Publisher 2003
Hi I installed a new Publisher - 2003 - on my computer. I had kept all my old disks from Office 2000 with all the old clipart. However, the new Publisher doesn't seem to have as nice a clipart gallery as my old version had, and I had wanted to add all my clips to the newer version. Is this possible in a way that Publisher will *automatically* setup all the old clips so that I can easily search for the exact picture I am looking for, instead of having to go through each clip manually by the very boring names such as clip1, clip2, clip3 etc. (or however the clipart is installed)? I want...

How to automatically send a CC: email
Hi, Is it possible to configure Exchage server 2003 to automatically send a CC: copy to a mail recipient everytime an email is sent from someones mailbox? In other words, the manager would like to receive a copy of all emails sent by one of his employees. I know this can be done through rules in outlook, but I wish to perform this function from exchage for a group of users. Thanks in Advance ...

plz help me .......[plz].....[i need a help [ :( ] ]
hi , every body; i want to write an easy program; if u have time plz write that code for me i want to write a program that it gets a number from user then save it in filestream i mean to see tahat number ever time that i want at that file i need a help On Mar 7, 6:04=A0pm, sahel <nam.nam.baro...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi , every body; > i want to write an easy program; > if u have time plz write that code for me > i want to write a program that it gets a number from user then save it > in filestream > i mean to see tahat number ever time that i want at that f...

QTYs not Transferring Consistently
We have many orders in our system which still show QTYs to invoice, even though in Sales Document Detail Entry, we see that the orders have been transferred to invoices. The backordered quantities have transferred as well, but we have a number of orders from the past 6 months which still show that these quantities need to be shipped. Does anyone know what could cause this? ...

Transfer form data
In access 2000, how do I transfer form data to MS Word?. I would like to use something like transferSpreadsheet which I use often to transfer data to Excel. I would prefer not to create an Access report and then use "Publish with MS Word". This method does NOT faithfully reproduce the report. Thanks -- Shell "Shell" wrote: > In access 2000, how do I transfer form data to MS Word?. I would like to use > something like transferSpreadsheet which I use often to transfer data to > Excel. > > I would prefer not to create an Access report and then us...

Fixed Assets across business lines
Hello everybody - Is it possible to spread fixed asset depreciation across multiple business lines? We have certain assets that need to be depreciated across multiple GL accounts..is this possible? The simplest solution would be to use an allocation account (probably a fixed allocation account) as the depreciation expense account. This would spread the depreciation based on the percentages in the allocation account to multiple accounts. Mark On Sep 27, 4:25=A0pm, modon...@knight.com <mich...@microsoftinstructor.com> wrote: > Hello everybody - > Is it possible ...

How do I create an email template?
Running Office 2007 Professional. I think that's what you would call it. I am looking for work and have a Word file that I use as a cover letter. Right now I have to open Word and copy and paste into the email. So what I would like is to open in Outlook an email to send that already has that Word doc in it and then I would just do a little editing and send it off. It would be really cool if I could create an icon for it and put it in the toolbar. I hope I have been clear with my needs and thanks for your time if you have a solution. They tell you how here: http://office.m...

New shared mailbox not inheriting permissions from the parent store in Exchange System Manager
We run Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 cluster, which we migrated a couple of months ago from Exchange and Windows 2000. One of our helpdesk guys has just created a shared mailbox, and has noticed that it is not inheriting any of the security permissions that are applied to its parent mail store, and which are common to all the existing mailboxes within that store. I checked on the AD objects security properties, and it is set to inherit rights from its parent, so I don't know why this could be. In fact it is not inheriting any permissions at all - either from its AD parent or from its par...

New domain (child or new forest)?
We have a single active directory domain (internal.com). We need to setup a second domain that will be accessed from the outside for non-employee users (external.com). If we do not want the external.com domain to have any access to the internal.com domain, shouldn't we create a "Domain in a new forest?" Creating a "Child domain in an existing domain tree," or a "Domain tree in an existing forest" will allow a two way trust between the root domain and the child domain correct? Howdie! jktat schrieb: > We have a single active directory dom...

Opening LInks in Email
I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an email. Can this feature be activated? TIA Eric Aloha ecm, Probably. We need a lot more information about your setup to tell you how, though. To start with What version of Outlook are you using? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm > I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an > email. Can this feature be activated? > > TIA > Eri I'm using ver 6 Outlook Express. ...

cant send emails to gmail accounts
if i send an email to someone with a gmail address they never receive it. it goes to my sent items and it says sent in the properties but they never receive it? any help greatly appreciated "maryandliam" <maryandliam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E11EF0A0-CDE5-46F4-A0FD-979144D1590D@microsoft.com... > if i send an email to someone with a gmail address they never receive it. > it > goes to my sent items and it says sent in the properties but they never > receive it? any help greatly appreciated If Outlook moves the message to S...

Need help to sync Outlook with laptop
I am new to Office (2003) Outlook and would like to find a wizard or step by step instructions on setting up my Vista Laptop to sync with my XP Desktop on the same network. I need to keep both my Outlook calendar and e-mail in sync on both computers. I have no idea how to get started. I'd appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction. -Bill A good start is here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Bill R MVP "William" <wyum@msn.com> wrote in message news:eoRrgpy4HHA.5796@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I am new to Office (2003) Outlook and wo...

Email activation
I have been using outlook express for my email program. i am buying a new compuer and won't, I am told, be able to use it anymore. I have tried shifting to Outlook, but when I try to send an email, I get a message that says something about "No Transport Porvider". I am using Office 2000 and am on cable with comcast. Any help would be much appreciated. gg wrote: > I have been using outlook express for my email program. i am buying a new > compuer and won't, I am told, be able to use it anymore. I have tried > shifting to Outlook, but when I try to send a...

Exporting to Outlook
I have a database I have created in Access 2002 which has the regular fields like name address telephone number etc. However, I also have fields for email address, website, partners name, children's name, birthday and many others. What I want to know is whether it is possible to import all fields from my Access database into Microsoft Outlook? If so, how do I do it? Thanks!! Try this. Populate a Contact record in Outlook - try using a few. Then export it to an Access Database. Compare the one you just created with the one that you already have. Massage yours to match the one you c...