Advanced E-mail options - "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity"

I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
have?

Thanks
--
 (\__/)
 (='.'=)

I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function.

If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a column in
their Inbox beside that email.  Low places a blue down arrow there.

The recipients can make Rules based on the Importance of incoming emails.
So your team could choose to use it occasionally and have Rules at trigger
if you get emails from colleagues that are marked High Importance.

Regards

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
www.judygleeson.com

Outlook 2003 user?  Read "7 settings all Outlook 2003 users should change"
at www.pragmatix.com.au

SOON!
launching in August 2008:
www.thedeskdoctors.com
www.executiveassistantsonline.com

..
"PhredBear" <NotMyRealAddress@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
>source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
>Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
>categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
>between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
>have?
>
> Thanks
> --
> (\__/)
> (='.'=)
> (")_(")

0
Judy
7/17/2008 11:03:18 AM
private and confidential control what the recipient can do with the received
messages, to a small degree. It is dependant on the mail client they use.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Access this newsgroup directly by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx

"PhredBear" <NotMyRealAddress@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
> source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
> Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
> categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
> between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
> have?
>
> Thanks
> --
> (\__/)
> (='.'=)
> (")_(")

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/17/2008 2:25:51 PM
To add a little, if you use the Exchange Server, (not sure about other
ISP's)
then a message sent with HIGH IMPORTANCE will go to the front of
the queue and be sent before plain 'ol regular email.

PRIVATE email will only show to the profile of the original recipient.
In other words, if I receive an email from my husband and he has
marked it "private", then when someone who shares my inbox looks
at the contents in my inbox, they will not see the message. It will be
invisible to them. The only clue would be if they see 3 messages in
my inbox and look at the number of unread messages, they will not
match. They'll see that there are 4 unread messages, but they can
only view 3 of the messages.

Nikki Peterson

"Judy Gleeson (MVP Outlook)" <judy> wrote in message
> I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function.
>
> If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a column
> in their Inbox beside that email.  Low places a blue down arrow there.
>
> The recipients can make Rules based on the Importance of incoming emails.
> So your team could choose to use it occasionally and have Rules at trigger
> if you get emails from colleagues that are marked High Importance.
>
> Regards
>
> Judy Gleeson
> MVP Outlook
> www.judygleeson.com
>
> Outlook 2003 user?  Read "7 settings all Outlook 2003 users should change"
> at www.pragmatix.com.au
>
> SOON!
> launching in August 2008:
> www.thedeskdoctors.com
> www.executiveassistantsonline.com
>
> .
> "PhredBear" <NotMyRealAddress@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
>>source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
>>Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
>>categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
>>between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
>>have?
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> (\__/)
>> (='.'=)
>> (")_(")

Based on this thread .....

If I want to send an email from a different (non-MS) source but would like
it to be marked as Private when received by the exchange server, what needs
to be set to achieve this?

--
Regards, Marty

> "PhredBear" <NotMyRealAddress@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help
> > source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set
> > Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the
> > categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference
> > between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they
> > have?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > (\__/)
> > (='.'=)
> > (")_(")

0
mturnbull (1)
9/24/2008 8:45:01 AM
If that "non-MS" source supports it (whatever that means) it may come =
through.  Without knowing the source, it is hard to give a definitive =
answer.

--=81
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, mturnbull asked:

| Based on this thread .....
|=20
| If I want to send an email from a different (non-MS) source but would
| like it to be marked as Private when received by the exchange server,
| what needs to be set to achieve this?
|=20
|=20
|| "PhredBear" <NotMyRealAddress@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
||| I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at
||| a help source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance"
||| or "Set Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog,
||| what do the categories mean and what do they do? For example what
||| is the difference between "Private" and "Confidential" and what
||| different effects do they have?
|||=20
||| Thanks
||| --