Account details "Changing themselves"

I am using Outlook 2000.  My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious
BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult:  download hangs in
first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc.  Looking in Account > server
information I see the incoming mail server had been changed (not by me) from
mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my account name had had
/mail.btinternet.com added to it.  Changing back manually to the original
settings APPEARS to fix things, at least mail download is now much more
reliable.  It is worthwhile/possible to make these settings read-only?   Any
ideas as to why they are changing?

TIA

John

It is either your anti-virus solution doing this or your Firewall.  Uncheck
the option in the offending program to check incoming and outgoing mail.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John NIce asked:

| I am using Outlook 2000.  My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious
| BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult:  download hangs
| in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc.  Looking in
| Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been
| changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my
| account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it.  Changing back
| manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at least
| mail download is now much more reliable.  It is worthwhile/possible
| to make these settings read-only?   Any ideas as to why they are
| changing?
|
| TIA
|
| John

0
MillyS5166 (1132)
3/6/2004 4:08:50 PM
Thanks - it looks as though my AV software WAS responsible.  Why does it do
it?

John
(ps, I didn't search google.groups.com!)

> It is either your anti-virus solution doing this or your Firewall.
Uncheck
> the option in the offending program to check incoming and outgoing mail.
>
> --�
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

> After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John NIce asked:
>
> | I am using Outlook 2000.  My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious
> | BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult:  download hangs
> | in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc.  Looking in
> | Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been
> | changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my
> | account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it.  Changing back
> | manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at least
> | mail download is now much more reliable.  It is worthwhile/possible
> | to make these settings read-only?   Any ideas as to why they are
> | changing?
> |
> | TIA
> |
> | John

The AV places another "server" between your ISP server and your mailbox so
it can process the mail before passing it along to you.  Most AV companies
have updated their most recent versions to avoid renaming your account to
localhost since so many people were having problems.

--�
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John NIce asked:

| Thanks - it looks as though my AV software WAS responsible.  Why does
| it do it?
|
| John
| (ps, I didn't search google.groups.com!)
|
|| It is either your anti-virus solution doing this or your Firewall.
|| Uncheck the option in the offending program to check incoming and
|| outgoing mail.
|| --�
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.  Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, John NIce
|| asked:
||| I am using Outlook 2000.  My ISP has been reorganising (the
||| notorious BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult:
||| download hangs in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc.
||| Looking in
||| Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been
||| changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my
||| account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it.  Changing
||| back manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at
||| least
||| mail download is now much more reliable.  It is worthwhile/possible
||| to make these settings read-only?   Any ideas as to why they are
||| changing?
||| TIA
||| John

0
MillyS5166 (1132)

Account details "Changing themselves"
I am using Outlook 2000. My ISP has been reorganising (the notorious BT/Yahoo! merger) and Email has been very difficult: download hangs in first message, multiple passowrd requests, etc. Looking in Account > server information I see the incoming mail server had been changed (not by me) from mail.btinternet.com to localhost and my account name had had /mail.btinternet.com added to it. Changing back manually to the original settings APPEARS to fix things, at least mail download is now much more reliable. It is worthwhile/possible to make these settings read-only? Any ideas as to why t...

User accounts changing themselves to another users details..?
Hi, We're getting an intermittent problem with our CRM 1.2 installation. Randomly, users names and email addresses are changing to that of another user but their logon name is staying the same. This is meaning that when they logon to CRM, their name is showing wrongly and any records assigned to them are showing the wrong name. The name they change to is always the same and the user records changing varies. eg: Say we have 10 users, one of whom is "Joe Bloggs". Today, 3 other users records names had changed so that their first name showed "Joe" and their surn...