Access Denied to AL Attachments - OL 2000

Hello,
 one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.

They get the message
"Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
write protected and that the file is not being used."

There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
We can write to the disk
The file is not in use.

The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711

Can someone help?

What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
kim2350 (8)

thats ALL attachments - no matter the file type.

it looks like a permission issue - but I have no idea what folder, etc to
check the permissions on'

"Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>  one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
>
> They get the message
> "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> write protected and that the file is not being used."
>
> There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> We can write to the disk
> The file is not in use.
>
> The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
>
> Can someone help?
>
> What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
kim2350 (8)
4/26/2006 3:02:07 PM
This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the
Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in
one of these newsgroups:
microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups
microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh version of OE
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgroups

for all the microsoft.public newsgroups). The links under the newsgroup
references are for use with MS's web newsreader (not exactly the best way to
post but it works for some people)

Also a good source of Outlook Express info can be found here:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

"Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
>
> They get the message
> "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> write protected and that the file is not being used."
>
> There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> We can write to the disk
> The file is not in use.
>
> The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
>
> Can someone help?
>
> What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
vince8328 (2732)
4/26/2006 3:36:17 PM
Sorry my Mistake - its not Outlook Express - its Outlook 2000

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from
the
> Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting
in
> one of these newsgroups:
> microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=micr
osoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en
-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress for OE 5.5x

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=micr
osoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;e
n-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress for OE 6.x

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=micr
osoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en
-us;newsgroups
> microsoft.public.internet.mail.mac for the Macintosh version of OE

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=micr
osoft.public.internet.outlookexpress.mac&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgrou
ps

> If those groups aren't carried on the news server that's carrying this
group
> try using msnews.microsoft.com (MS's public news server that's the source
> for all the microsoft.public newsgroups). The links under the newsgroup
> references are for use with MS's web newsreader (not exactly the best way
> post but it works for some people)
>
> Also a good source of Outlook Express info can be found here:
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
>
> "Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> > cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
> >
> > They get the message
> > "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> > write protected and that the file is not being used."
> >
> > There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> > We can write to the disk
> > The file is not in use.
> >
> > The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> > Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> > What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
kim2350 (8)
4/26/2006 3:52:01 PM
Is this a new problem or has it always happened? Do you have some sort of
virus scanner that might be getting in the way?

"Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
>
> They get the message
> "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> write protected and that the file is not being used."
>
> There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> We can write to the disk
> The file is not in use.
>
> The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
>
> Can someone help?
>
> What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
vince8328 (2732)
4/26/2006 5:04:50 PM
Kim <kim@xxx.com> wrote:

> one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
>
> They get the message
> "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full
> or write protected and that the file is not being used."

Can they save the attachment to disk instead of trying to open it?
--
Brian Tillman
0

I need to check about the virus scans.

> Is this a new problem or has it always happened? Do you have some sort of
> virus scanner that might be getting in the way?
>
> "Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> > cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
> >
> > They get the message
> > "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> > write protected and that the file is not being used."
> >
> > There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> > We can write to the disk
> > The file is not in use.
> >
> > The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> > Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> > What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
kim2350 (8)
4/27/2006 1:49:17 PM
No virus scan software

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" <vince@omegageek.com> wrote in message
> Is this a new problem or has it always happened? Do you have some sort of
> virus scanner that might be getting in the way?
>
> "Kim" <kim@xxx.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> > cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
> >
> > They get the message
> > "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full or
> > write protected and that the file is not being used."
> >
> > There is plenty of disk space (over 14 gig)
> > We can write to the disk
> > The file is not in use.
> >
> > The OS is Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
> > Outlook 2000 9.0.0.2711
> >
> > Can someone help?
> >
> > What directory is outlook trying to open the file  in?

0
kim2350 (8)
4/27/2006 3:08:13 PM
no I cannot save either.

tells me to check permissions on the folder by right clicking, properties.
I see no way to check the permissions.

I can create a file in the same folder.

its very odd

> Kim <kim@xxx.com> wrote:
>
> > one of the people in my office has started having a problem were they
> > cannot open ANY attachment that comes into outlook express.
> >
> > They get the message
> > "Can't open this item. Access Denied. Make sure the disk is not full
> > or write protected and that the file is not being used."
>
> Can they save the attachment to disk instead of trying to open it?
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
kim2350 (8)
4/27/2006 3:09:12 PM
Kim <kim@xxx.com> wrote:

> no I cannot save either.

In which folder are they trying to save the attachment?  Can they save it to
a different folder?

> tells me to check permissions on the folder by right clicking,
> properties. I see no way to check the permissions.

This may be a clue.  Try emptying the Secure Outlook Temp Folder.  See this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/27/2006 5:23:52 PM
Thank you for your help.

It looks like the outlook problem is only a symptom of somethign larger.

we are now having problems writting to the drive from excel, etc.

w are backing up the data and probably will swap out the drive.

thank you for your help
Kim

> Kim <kim@xxx.com> wrote:
>
> > no I cannot save either.
>
> In which folder are they trying to save the attachment?  Can they save it
> a different folder?
>
> > tells me to check permissions on the folder by right clicking,
> > properties. I see no way to check the permissions.
>
> This may be a clue.  Try emptying the Secure Outlook Temp Folder.  See
this:
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/securetemp.htm
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
kim2350 (8)
4/28/2006 1:19:49 PM
I was able to resolbe this problem by clearing out the users temp folder.
Some program - I have not figured out which - was writting a tmp file every
10 seconds.

there was almost 32,000 tmp files in the directory.

once I deleted them - I was able to save attachements to the drive.

Kim

0
kim2350 (8)

Hyper Link in Outlook 2000
We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 as Mail Clients. If I sent an Excel file as hyperlink (Internally)and when the Recipient click on the hyperlink, the excel file opens in Internet Explorer. Is there any configuration that when the recipient click on the link it opens in excel? Thanks in advance Diwakar ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Inserting picture from file in Publisher 2000
I installed a trial Pub 2007 and when it ran its course I uninstalled it and reinstalled Publisher 2000. Since doing this I cannot insert a picture other than clipart, ie. I can't insert a picture from my files or internet. I get a message saying Pub doesn't recognise the format or there was an error loading a graphic converter. Some of the graphics converters may be missing. Run setup again. Well I've tried the 'repair' from setup again but still no joy. Can anybody help? I'm not too good with these problems so can you keep it simple for me? -- Ruth The graph...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

IMC Strips Attachments
I'm running Exchange 5.5 with SP4 on an NT Svr SP6a & Outlook 2000 on the desktop. When I send e-mail through the IMC, it will send the email with no probs, however it strips any attachment I send with it. I've tried sending various types of attachments, alas to no avail. Initially, I thought it was user problems, but now this issue seems to be spreading throughout my domain, and if I cant sort rapidly, i'll be getting earache. Anyone got any thoughts? TVM - Chris. ...

Access

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Mail merge to email with an attachment
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C54401.F8168A50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I had office xp - I was able to very easily email a merged document = and send it automatuically to the relevant contacts in my list as an = attachment. I am using custom forms and fields but it worked = beautifully! After and upgrade to 2003 I find I can no longer do this - word just = hangs - I researched a bit and found business manager could do this - = yes - but not with my custom forms and f...

Moving contacts to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
Does anyone know an easy way to move my smtp addresses from CCmail 8.2 address book (about 400 of them) over to contacts in Active directory. I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server. Cheers Crazy cc:Mail's export command with the /DIRECTORY switch can export them in an quasi - ldif format which could be massaged and used with ldifde to import. cc:Mail's Import/Export users guide will help on the export start with 237677 Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;...

mspub 2000
When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- installed the product and also I have installed the latest service packs (sp3) Can any help please it driving me nuts. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from dave <wi@eatonbank.cheshire.sch.uk>... > When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - > options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log > is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- > i...

access mail on WEB

how to change default comment format in excel (2000)
I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do it each time I enter a comment. Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to change the Font size at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default And she has a macro that can do more: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Formatted superiorparties wrote: > > I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each > individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do >...

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Attach POP3 Mailboxes to an Exchange mailbox
Hi All, Is there a way where I can attach several pop3 email accounts to a users exchange mailbox? Thanks, Tarran Not without 3rd party products. Tarran wrote: > Hi All, > > Is there a way where I can attach several pop3 email accounts to a users > exchange mailbox? > > Thanks, > Tarran ...

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Cannot attach vCard file to Sugnature in Outlook 2003
If I try using a vCard for signature in Outlook 2003 I receive an error message: "Can't create file: xx.vcf. Right-click the folder you want to create file in, and ten click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder" On Oct 15, 1:44=A0pm, nickolay.co...@gmail.com wrote: > If I try using a vCard for signature in Outlook 2003 I receive an > error message: > > "Can't create file: xx.vcf. Right-click the folder you want to create > file in, and ten click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your > permissions for the fol...

Excel 2000 #6
How can I identify all cell links in a worksheet. Is there a way to list or highlight? Thanks in advance. There is a download available called "Delete Links Wizard". Find this on the MSN Excel site and download. It downloads to your desktop, you will need to copy this to your Microsoft Office folder. Then go to Tools/Add-ins and check the delete links wizard function (follow the instructions). Run the Delete links wizard on your spreadsheet. It has several options for listing and or deleting links. I have used it only a few times but I know it is safe to use to find and or delete ...

how to open attachment with adobe flash player
when I try to open an attachment it doesn't give me the option to choose or open with , it just gives the option open or save and I want to be able to change it to open with adobe. any suggestions me wrote: > when I try to open an attachment it doesn't give me the option to choose or > open with , it just gives the option open or save and I want to be able to > change it to open with adobe. > > any suggestions What have you installed that will play .flv files (or whatever is the UNIDENTIFIED filetype with you have having difficulties)? ...