2007 Outlook.exe process consume CPU and continues running after File->Exit

I have Outlook 2007 running under Windows Vista and have a situation where
Outlook consumes the majority of my CPU cyles (always above 80% in the
Windows Task Manager) and close Outlook using File->Exit, the outlook.exe
process continues to run and consume CPU cycles.  I can't run Outlook again
unless I terminate the process.

Anyone else seen this behavior?  Any solutions?

In my add-in list I have the following, some of which surprised me:

Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher)
iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this)
Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging
Microsoft Office Sharepoint Colleague Import Add-in
Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
PDFMOutlook
Windows Search Email Indexer

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com

"Mike Walsh" wrote:

> I have Outlook 2007 running under Windows Vista and have a situation where
> Outlook consumes the majority of my CPU cyles (always above 80% in the
> Windows Task Manager) and close Outlook using File->Exit, the outlook.exe
> process continues to run and consume CPU cycles.  I can't run Outlook again
> unless I terminate the process.
>
> Anyone else seen this behavior?  Any solutions?
>
> In my add-in list I have the following, some of which surprised me:
>
> Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher)
> iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this)
> Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging
> Microsoft Office Sharepoint Colleague Import Add-in
> Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
> PDFMOutlook
> Windows Search Email Indexer

> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Walsh - mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com

Mike........I have the same problem........outlook just grabs way too much
power......replying to email is a hit or miss issue............Ive read the
about the addons situation, but I have a no idead what half those things
are.......Good Luck

0
Rick9396 (383)
11/9/2007 1:03:01 AM
Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher)

This has been known to cause this problem, but Cloudmark did release a fix.
Make sure you have it.

> iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this)

iTunes will allow synching with an iPhone.  If you don't have an iPhone,
disable this or uninstall it.

> Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging
> Microsoft Office Sharepoint Colleague Import Add-in
> Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service

> PDFMOutlook

Often unneeded.  Try disabling this as well.

> Windows Search Email Indexer

Known to cause the described problem.  Can be fixed by disabling indexing
the PST and then reenabling it to start the indexing over.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16053)
11/9/2007 1:20:43 AM
Thanks, Im going to try

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

> Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher)
>
> This has been known to cause this problem, but Cloudmark did release a fix.
> Make sure you have it.
>
> > iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this)
>
> iTunes will allow synching with an iPhone.  If you don't have an iPhone,
> disable this or uninstall it.
>
> > Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging
> > Microsoft Office Sharepoint Colleague Import Add-in
> > Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
>
> > PDFMOutlook
>
> Often unneeded.  Try disabling this as well.
>
> > Windows Search Email Indexer
>
> Known to cause the described problem.  Can be fixed by disabling indexing
> the PST and then reenabling it to start the indexing over.
> --
> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Rick9396 (383)
11/9/2007 10:23:01 AM
>> Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Cloudmark Desktop (Spam catcher)
>>
>> This has been known to cause this problem, but Cloudmark did release a
>> fix.
>> Make sure you have it.
>>
>> > iTunes Outlook Addin (? didn't know iTunes did this)

[ ... snipped ... ]

>> Known to cause the described problem.  Can be fixed by disabling indexing
>> the PST and then reenabling it to start the indexing over.
>> --
>> Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Just a quick follow up on this issue, I think I may have found a solution.
Because my Exchange server is so far away (both physically and via the
network), I have my e-mail delivered to my local PST file and have done this
for years.  When I get a new computer and/or a new version of Outlook, I
configure it to use my PST file and all is well (usually).

Outlook 2007 has introduced a new file format for the PST file and after
some digging I found something which described a similar situation to what I
was facing and attributed it to not migrsting the PST file to the new
format.  Here is the process to migrate a file:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010383511033.aspx

So far so good this morning but I will keep an eye on it.  The Outlook
process is rarely consuming any CPU cycles and my over all computer
responsiveness is much better.

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mike underscore walsh at mindspring dot com

Can exmerge create large PST files?
I'm using exmerge 6.5.7226.0 (Exchange 2003 SP1). Is it possible for Exmerge to create the newer, unicode PST files? We've enabled journaling on our message store and intended to periodically export the mailbox contents and burn them to CD/DVD, but the volume of mail is such that the exmerge-created PST files top out at 16,383 items. Is there a better solution? Thanks, Mike No. Unfortunately it doesn't support Unicode yet. So its limited to 2 GB and the current mail limits. There are other archival and journaling options available, but they all depend on your budget. -- Ma...

Publisher 2007 does not recognize printer
When attempting to print any document, page & etc from Publisher 2007 the pop up window "To print or preview a publication, at least one printer must be installed on the system" appears. The printer is installed and prints with all other programs installed on the computer including a test print. I have met with negative results with anything I have tried. There have been similar problems with Publisher 2007. What model printer do you have? There is an article here that was posted by Mark Clifton sometime back, it might be the solution you are hoping for. It is the art...

outlook default file
Help, I am trying to open MS Outlook and I keep getting a pop-up d-fault file message. It also says that it can't find a location to recive e-mail. I am using MS Office 2000 Professional with windows XP Home Edition. Have you created your mail account settings under Control Panel->Mail Icon? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, gracebejarano@yaho...

hanging outlook
I have this recent problem and it doesn't seem to have an answer to repair it. When opening outlook it just hangs or freezes up. You can't close it or do anything else in the program. The only way you can get out of it is to use the task manager and close it that way. This is a problem on my windows XP system at home where I use outlook as my mail system, and also at work where outlook is on an exchange server-running windows 2000. The outlook program I am using is from office 2000 pro. I tried to uninstalling and then reinstalling the office 2000 pro program, and it still do...

Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2003
Hi, We have just migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003, now we are having issues where some users cannot view other users calendars and some users who could only see the calendar of a mailbox can see the whole mailbox. What I need to know is, how and where can I set the view for calendars to Reviewer? And how can I let other users amend calendars wiithout them having access to the whole mailbox? We used to setup the roles required from within outlook, but now, since the migration, it doesn't appear to work quite the same. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions most warmly apprec...

Backup file from either 2003 or 2005 to Money Plus Deluxe
My laptop died but I have my backup files of Microsoft Money (2003 or 2005?) Money was free with the Dell laptop so I don't have original disk. If I buy Money Plus Deluxe will it recognize my MNY file or my MBF file? I do not have the old Money program in order to be able to prepare the file as a QIF export file as the help support site suggests. I can not get Microsoft support until after I buy Money Plus Deluxe, but I want to make sure it will work before I purchase. Thanks for any insight. In microsoft.public.money, Peter Quagliano <Peter Quagliano@discussions.microsoft.co...

Excel 97 and 2007 on same computer
How can I *re-set* Windows XP SP2 to open all of my Excel files (.xls.xlt.csv) in Excel 97 when double-clicking? I also have Office 2007 installed inorder to sample the program, but not to use as my primary office application at this time. Thanks. -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture You have to re-register the particular Excel version you want to open excel files with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388/en-us -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message news:R%LSj.2715$NZ7.901@newsfe10.ams2... >...

Document scrolling in Word 2007
I think you can get documents to automatically scroll through when you are using compare - but can you get it to do it for just one document? It would be very useful for proof reading (e.g., you can do it on Acrobat) -- Jon Morgan of Paraphrase If you have a mouse with a clickable wheel in the middle, click it on the Word document. The cursor changes to a pair of arrowheads with a dot in the middle. Drag the mouse downward very slightly, and the document will start to scroll. The farther down you drag, the faster the scrolling becomes -- and anything more than the least pos...

Are message categories visible to external recipients who also use Outlook?
Hello, If I create a new message, assign a category to it and send it to an external recipient (who also uses Outlook), will they see the category too? I know that internal recipients can see it. We need to make sure that external recipients cannot see the categories for privacy. Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003. Thanks, - Alan. "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b45dca8f-c4ce-423b-b344-509c68f0ae33@37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > If I create a new message, assign a category to it and send it to an > external recipient (who also uses...

Read Receipt Function in outlook
The read receipt option is no longer working in Outlook Small Business Edition for XP 2002. I have not made any recent changes to my outlook setup. Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this? ...

Word 2007 copied URL's disabled
In Vista copied links to WOR turned blue and were underlined. They became active when the Ctrl key was clicked. In Windows 7 the copied links are black and not underlined. They won't work. How can I get them to work? Word options > proofing > autocorrect options > autoformat - check the box 'internet and network paths with hyperlinks' and any other options you require. Click OK. Then either add the 'autoformat now' button to the QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) or click ALT+CTRL+K to autoformat the document. -- <>>< ><<> &g...

Error 553 using Outlook 2007 and Vista
Hello. I'm getting the following error using Outlook 2007 and Vista: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.5.3 - chkuser) When I test the account settings, it's fine. I can recieve just fine, and the only outgoing messages without this error are for recepients with my same domain. I've turned off my antivirus and windows firewall. Still this doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 550 errors usually mean you're not authenticating properly, or you're attempting to use an SMTP server other than the one your ISP provides. ...

Outlook 2003 sent messages problem
Outlook is sending messages to recipients junk email folders. How can I resolve this issue? prenuer7 <prenuer7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook is sending messages to recipients junk email folders. How can > I resolve this issue? If their Outlook is declaring your messages to be junk, then perhaps the problem is on their end. However, in what format are you composing your message and are you including any links? -- Brian Tillman ...

correct settings for sql in ms office 2007
I don't believe my SQL is starting when I open MS Office 2007. I cannot send or receive email within the program. Which insances of SQL require what settings please. I'm at my wits end. Thank you. ...

How to Add Newsgroups to Outlook 2003
I just installed Office 2003 and I want to add newsgroups to Outlook. How do I do this? It used to be in the view menu. Many thanks, jack Hello Jack, you wrote on 23 Aug 2005 09:37:38 -0700: > I just installed Office 2003 and I want to add newsgroups to Outlook. > How do I do this? > It used to be in the view menu. http://www.howto-outlook.com/Faq/news.htm -- Best Regards Christian Goeller On 23 Aug 2005 09:37:38 -0700, "Jack" <JackBarrett@gmail.com> wrote: > I just installed Office 2003 and I want to add newsgroups to Outlook. > How do I do this? >...

Outlook /pda sync fails when View changed
I accidently(!) removed the Subject field form my main OUtlook view. Since then, syncing with my ipaq pda fials (even after I have added the Subject field back to the view as was). Any ideas if this is a known problem, or what the fix may be? Thanks ...

Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2007
I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook 2003. Can that be done? Is Outlook 2007 backward compatable? No. Afraid you will need to uninstall OL 2007 and then install OL 2003 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "Guy" <gdelaney@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote in message news:OTykI2Q$KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I want to convert back from Microsoft Outlook 2007 to Microsoft Outlook > 2003. Can...

outlook #36

outlook Calendar archiving not working
I've tried all the directions i can find to archive my calendar from 12-31-07 and before. The 'archiving' box icon comes on below for a second or so then quits. What can i do to get it to archive? "Kidney Stoned" <Kidney Stoned@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:907AA068-B939-4721-A942-7DA608F7CFEC@microsoft.com... > I've tried all the directions i can find to archive my calendar from > 12-31-07 > and before. The 'archiving' box icon comes on below for a second or so then > quits. What can i do to get it to archi...

upgrading from Access 97 to Access 2007
I designed a database (forms, reports, et al) several years ago in Access 97 and it continues to work well. I've just received a MS Office Professional 2007 and wonder if it is time to migrate my data into the new program. I've attempted two or three times to do this in Access 2002 and I keep getting error messages along the line of "...corrupted file..cannot be opened by Access 2002 (or some such message)..." The help radio button opens up a box which suggests I do some programming in Virtual Basic to perform my transfer task. The easy way out, of course, is to sti...

Money 2007 payee name management
What is the best way to handle payee names and their variations? For example, I charge all of my gasoline purchases and typically fill- up at Raceway gas stations. After downloading the transactions each Raceway gas station appears with its own payee name, such as: Raceway 0001 Woodbridge Racewy 123 Edison ..... and so on I kind of like having this informatiion in the transaction register, but each one is a separate payee. At the same time I'd also like to group all of them under a single payee named Raceway. I started to use the automatic mapping of alternate payee nam...

SharePoint 2007 Alerts
Alerts on out SharePoint 2007 server have been working for well over a year. On Monday, alerts stopped coming through on our "EmployeePortal" site. Alerts do come through from the same server from the "BusinessPortal" site. - Newly created alerts do send the "You have successfully created an alert for..." message from the "EmployeePortal" site. - Alerts do come through from the same server for a different web app/site collection. - Both "EmployeePortal" and "BusinessPortal" have the same outgoing email sett...

Update my Outlook Contacts (all personal folders) desktop to my la
I have Microsft Office Pro in both of my computer: my desktop and laptop. However, all my Contacts folders in my laptop are several months old. I need to update them with Outlook folders from my desktop computer. I have USB that I can copy from my desktop computer to laptop but I don't know how to do it Please tell me step by step how to do it. Which files to copy and location, and the procedure, etc. I have very sensitive data ( patients records) that I don't want to damage and/or loose. Thank you in advance for your help "EdgardM" <EdgardM@discuss...

OutLook Warning Window
Hello, we are using VB Applicaion that some times send email using outlook. in earlier version the warrning window was not appearing but on newer versions of outlook a warning windwos appears. I have found following on the support Site of MS. with reference of the following URL http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=842945 or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263073/EN-US/ IS there any way to bypass this warrning window. Regards, Shahzad You would have to redesign your application to get around the enhanced security. Start with http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm since it will...

Ribbon in 2007
Recently installed 2007 Office Pro When I open Outlook, I do not see 'Ribbon' It seems as if I have the same format of 2003. Could anyone advise me how I can see Ribbon when I open Mail, Contacts, Calendar, etc -- Thank you in advance for your support and suggestions, HankL The main interface of Outlook 2007 does not have a Ribbon. Outlook 2007 does have a Ribbon when you create or open any item such as creating a new email or when opening a contact. Outlook 2010 will have the Ribbon in the main interface as well. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coaut...