2000: All SMTP Mail Going Via Exchange Instead

I have been successfully using Outlook 2000 to send via multiple accounts,
including the in-house Exchange server and multiple outside SMTP servers, for
years, via the Services option.  Yesterday, suddenly, this no longer works.
Now, if I'm logged into the Exchange server and have my incoming mail directed
to my Exchange Inbox as usual, all outgoing SMTP mail is sent via the Exchange
server no matter which SMTP service I have at the top of the Services -->
Delivery tab.  If I'm not logged into the Exchange server, or I have mail going
into a different mailbox, the SMTP servers work fine.  I can't figure this one
out.

My systems administrator assures me he made no changes yesterday to either the
Exchange server or the firewall.  For my part, the only change I made was to
download the latest MS XP and IE updates, and once this problem started, I made
sure to use System Restore (which actually works under XP Pro) to undo those
updates.  I've also tried creating new Outlook profiles, without success; the
problem replicates on the new profiles as well.  Nor does disabling Norton
Antivirus make a difference.

Anyone have any insight as to where the problem might lie, and how to solve it?
Do you think upgrading to Outlook XP or 2003 would help?  Thanks.  {Jonathan}

0
jezor (2)

You've been lucky til now. MS does not support using Exchange and Internet
Mail in the same profile in any version of Outlook prior to 2002. You will
probably not be able to resolve this in any reliable fashion - either set up
different profiles or upgrade to Outlook 2002.

jezor@panix.com wrote:
> I have been successfully using Outlook 2000 to send via multiple
> accounts, including the in-house Exchange server and multiple outside
> SMTP servers, for years, via the Services option.  Yesterday,
> suddenly, this no longer works. Now, if I'm logged into the Exchange
> server and have my incoming mail directed to my Exchange Inbox as
> usual, all outgoing SMTP mail is sent via the Exchange server no
> matter which SMTP service I have at the top of the Services -->
> Delivery tab.  If I'm not logged into the Exchange server, or I have
> mail going into a different mailbox, the SMTP servers work fine.  I
> can't figure this one out.
>
> My systems administrator assures me he made no changes yesterday to
> either the Exchange server or the firewall.  For my part, the only
> change I made was to download the latest MS XP and IE updates, and
> once this problem started, I made sure to use System Restore (which
> actually works under XP Pro) to undo those updates.  I've also tried
> creating new Outlook profiles, without success; the problem
> replicates on the new profiles as well.  Nor does disabling Norton
> Antivirus make a difference.
>
> Anyone have any insight as to where the problem might lie, and how to
> solve it? Do you think upgrading to Outlook XP or 2003 would help?
> Thanks.  {Jonathan}

0
lanwench (7567)
11/14/2003 6:06:28 PM
In article <e0QwTotqDHA.2820@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> says...

>You've been lucky til now. MS does not support using Exchange and Internet
>Mail in the same profile in any version of Outlook prior to 2002. You will
>probably not be able to resolve this in any reliable fashion - either set up
>different profiles or upgrade to Outlook 2002.

Huh.  That's odd -- I did it in Outlook 98 too.  Okay.  I just hope upgrading
solves the problem!  {Jonathan}

0
jezor (2)
11/14/2003 6:15:45 PM
Again, you've been lucky, me friend. :-)

jezor@panix.com wrote:
> In article <e0QwTotqDHA.2820@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Lanwench [MVP -
> Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> says...
>>
>> You've been lucky til now. MS does not support using Exchange and
>> Internet Mail in the same profile in any version of Outlook prior to
>> 2002. You will probably not be able to resolve this in any reliable
>> fashion - either set up different profiles or upgrade to Outlook
>> 2002.
>>

> Huh.  That's odd -- I did it in Outlook 98 too.  Okay.  I just hope
> upgrading solves the problem!  {Jonathan}

0
lanwench (7567)

An unknown SMTP command was used
Hi all, Lately (about 10 days) I have been getting lots of this ISA Server Alert.... We have SBS 2003 R2 Premium with 2 NICs. and then there are different numbers for the command... XEXCH50 1020 XEXCH50 1028 XEXCH50 2148 and so on... What are these alerts? Are we potentially vulnerable in some way thru Exchange? Thanks, Dan This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_042F_01CA77E6.5E75C3C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable These are attempts to relay through your Exch...

Outlook 2000 - Installation Problem
I am running Outlook 2000 under Windows XP Home on a laptop and have been doing so for 18 months. I have recently been getting the following problem: 1. When Windows has finished loading, I load Outlook without any problems - loads without problems, including personal toolbars. 2. When I close Outlook - no problems either 3. If I open Outlook again, I get an error message saying "Improper Installation", but it loads OK except that it looses my personal toolbars. When I try to view an e-mail through preview pane, it just appears grey. 4. When I close Outlook, it closes with an er...

Queues in exchange 2000
Hi all, Cenario, Windows 2000 Server SP4 Exchange 2000 SP3 I have a little problem. By Christmas, we sent christmas postcards by e-mail. For some reason the e-mails where not sent, and stayed in the queue retrying. I removed them from the queue, connector after connector (about 150). Now everytime i restart the Exchange Server, they return to the queue. The person that sent those e-mails, starts receiving the NDR(around 300!!!!) so does the Administrator. This situation becomes painfull, since we have mailbox limits, with those NDR the user reaches the limit everytime. Any ideia how to real...

I cant open a link in a e mail keep getting a message restrictins
Every time i try to open an e mail link I get the message restictins in place please contact system administrator.It was ok before but now it keeps comming up with that message Gordon "Gorgie boy" <Gorgie boy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBBC044D-D5B0-436E-96AC-C8D0ABAD4319@microsoft.com... > Every time i try to open an e mail link I get the message restictins in > place > please contact system administrator.It was ok before but now it keeps > comming > up with that message See if this helps: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_rest...

Not going to pay for it!
Firstly I apologies if this isnt in the right newsgroup but I am stuck...! I understand that there is an issue with attaching email signatures in Exchange due to the fact that Outlook uses MAPI not SMTP when sending an email. I have also seen VB/VBS code to create a component to attach text to outgoing emails but this only works for the SMTP emails (web access I assume). These companies that make software that can interface with MAPI emails must use some sort of MAPI based code to affect the emails. I would like to know how to do it. I am an app developer and have done a bit with MAP...

Mail to queus
Hello, Can anyone point me in the right direction about mailing to a que. I have a website where my customers can fill in a form, this form is then send to my exchange. I just want to receive this mail inside a queu, nothing fancy, but I don't have a clue. Hope someone can help. Eric Hi Eric, You have to create a mailbox for queue, create a queue, assign the email to the queue, deploy the rule using Exchange rule deployment wizard. You can see details in Implementation guide. Please download it from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1ff067f8-4f77-40f0-ae9c-...

Exchange server 2003 smtp queue
Hi! I think I have a virus. I have many messages (email) in the SMTP queue. These are "strange messages". For example : from jkfkdjdf.jkuii@yahoo.com to hyhuiiiokl@yahoo.com The exchange server, naturally, can not deliver and I have a lots of messages waiting. Could anyone help me, please ? Antonio Grasso First, open up any of the message in Notepad. Look at the received header and find out what machine inside your organization is generating those emails. Take that machine off of your network. Second, check if your Exchange server is open for relay. It should not be ...

Upgrade from v5.5 (pervasive SQL) to v8.0 (MS SQL 2000)
Has anyone done this upgrade? I don't think the software upgrade would be a problem but my concern is the database conversion. Can anyone comment whether they have tackle this themselves and if Microsoft was helpful with this upgrade. I have not gone from 5.5 to 8 but I've done many updates from 5.5 and many to 8.0. You've got a few stops in between, as you probably know. Depending upon the data size and how many companies, it's going to take a few days to convert. I would go to 5.5 on SQL Server and then start updating from there to 8.0. Make darn sure you run the...

Right click in Outlook 2000 SR-1
The menu doesn't appear when right clicking on messages. There is no problem right clicking in any aother application or with the Windows 2000 OS. ...

Windows 2000 server exchange 2000 and xp workstation
Ok, I got the snap in and everything but im missing the tab in user propertied that allow you to hide an email address in the global book, along with other protocal restrictions and such. any ideas? You got what snap-in? Did you install the Exchange 2000 Management Tools? Did you install the same SP that is on your Exchange server? Try enabling the Advanced view within ADUC. View, Advanced View. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Delayed mail is not send from the Exchange server
We have Exchange 2003 on the server and Outlook 2003 on all clients. The users do not use Cached Exchange. When a user uses the "Do not deliver before"-option, the mails stays in the Outbox if the users outlook is closed at the specified time. The server is not sending the mail. As soon as the users outlook is opened after the specified time the mail is send immediately. I've read many posts in this forum and the server should hold the mail and send it at the right time, but I can't figure out why it doesn’t work. Is there a setting on the server that needs to “activat...

Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2000
I am configuring my new office computer and cannot figure out how to import my Outlook 2000 files and archives from the old computer to the new computer. The only information I have been able to find is importing Outlook Express to Outlook 2000 - but this does not seem to apply to Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2000. These are the steps I believe should work - but don't quite make sense to me: On the new computer: Open Outlook File Import and Export .....Which "action to perform" option will work? None of the options seem to include Outlook 2000. Thanks in advance for your he...

Does CRM 3 do anything to Exchange server?
Want to test CRM 3 on a VPC before rolling it out. If I use our existng exchange server for this test, will it do anything to it that would effect anyone not using the CRM product? pretty much no apart form installing a router software. However I would suggest bringing up a test exchange server as you do not want crm to be the cause of an exchange server failure. Unlikely but not worth the risk -- ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx "Smartbiz" <Smartbiz@discuss...

outlook 2000 locking up
working on msExchange on server with win2000 prof. working on Outlook 2000 on workstations with win98. On 2 of our workstations out of the blue, they will not allow user to create a new message, forward a message, or display the entire message. It locks up their computer requiring a hard boot. Have tried a number of remedies. Ironically, the only one that worked was downgrading to Outlook 97 ...

Quicksell 2000 / Windows 2000
I've been running Quicksell 2000 for over five years on Windows 95 on NEC pentium II 233's, and it runs great. But now, its time to upgrade my hardware, and hence, upgrade my OS. I've been trying to get QS2000 to run on the new machine and I can't get it to run. I have a parallel port dongle for the software, and I've tried installing it too, but I can't get the system up and running. I don't have the original install disks, they were damaged in a break-in 4 years ago. Anyone have any hints for me? Should I just install the demo system and copy my datab...

Receiving mail with the following in the body

outlook 2000 takes several minutes to load
I have a client using outlook internet mail only(no exchange) that takes several minutes to load since about 1 week ago. it runs normal (as far as i can see) once it is loaded. Any reason for the slow loading?? thanks CR ...

e-Mail won't send from Web Client
Hi- If we create an e-mail in the web client it will not be sent. The odd thing is if you shut down the CRM server, all of the mail that didn't get sent suddenly goes out. I don't need to re-start, just shutting down that server fires out all of the "pending" e-mail. Any ideas would be apprecieated! Thanks, Lloyd check your event logs on the crm web server also check your smtp settings in the registry on your crm server under the MSCRM key ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft "Lloyd" <Ll...

Pubisher 2000
I have created a one page document in pub 2000 and when I try to save it it say the following : " The disk is full tying to write C:Documents and Settings. Please save this file on a different disk and /or drive. I have tried to save it to A: as well as on my network drive. I have check them all and I still have plenty of space left? Any suggestions? I really do not want to lose this document. What you will have to do is open another instance of Publisher and copy and paste the information from that file that will not save to the new publication. Publisher is not at all n...

Outlook 2000 #135
I installed Outlook 2000 on a new computer setup as part of the office package. My Internet provider only supports outlook express, so I use outlook express. At startup I get a message that there is not a default e-mail program. That I should run Outlook and set it as the default reader. Is there a way to stop this or uninstall outlook with out removing the other office programs? ...

IMS mail not delivering
Exchange 5.5 NT4 I have my DNS set up - both inside and out with MX records but if i try and sent from outside to in i get the NDR with "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator." and on the inside the mail just dissapears does not appear in either the IMS queue or the MTA queue I can't be 100% it's not an internal DNs problem but i have no obvious error messages. Any help would be grea Chri "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Exchange 5.5 NT4 >I have ...

Need to move an SMTP Connector in Routing Group to a new server
Hi All I am running Windows 2003 w/SP1 and Exchange 2003 wSP1 and I have a connector that I would like to move or point to a new server (Old server coming off lease) on the General tab properties for the connector there is a server listed as the local bridgehead. My question is if I change that server to be my new server name would that be like moving it. Thanks in advance Yes, that'll do it. The Connectors don't reside on Exchange servers, they belong to the Org (under Routing Groups). You select/change the Bridgehead - the server(s) through which mail for that Connector is ro...

Microsoft Office 2000 and XP Outlook
I have multiple email accounts, all pop3 accounts. On XP version of Outlook, I could utilise the Profile function to manage all email accounts separately. I would like to know if this Profile is available on Office 2000 Outlook (can't seem to find it). If not, is there a way to manage multiple accounts separately on Office 2000 Outlook? Thanks! Pagam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have multiple email accounts, all pop3 accounts. > On XP version of Outlook, I could utilise the Profile > function to manage all email accounts separately. > > ...

sending in outlook 2000
for some reason i can't send e-mails using outlook2000. i get an error message stating can't find WBB DLL. the source of the problem seems to be something with the address book ... i think. anyway does any one have any ideas. i have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling outlook thanks Is this the W"A"B.dll? If yes, then your Windows Address Book is damaged. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted withou...

cannot send emails with microsoft outlook 2000