.pst too large can it effect server problems

As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects my
server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the
morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting account
is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is
blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it
possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible?

Thanks

0
Nisha (3)

If you are saying the pst is hosted on the server, and being accessed by a
workstation, that type of installation is not supported by MS as it can lead
to corruption.
The pst should be hosted on the same PC as outlook
If you use exchange it should be an ost file

"Nisha" <Nisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects
> my
> server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the
> morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting
> account
> is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is
> blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it
> possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible?
>
> Thanks

0
DL
5/15/2008 2:55:25 PM
Hello "DL"- i believe it is ost file(exchange) because its on the server.
Before our emails were hosted from outsource party, and we used to have .pst
(pop -email), but now its hosted as an exchange from our inhouse server. I am
just so lost in this process, i cant think straight

"DL" wrote:

> If you are saying the pst is hosted on the server, and being accessed by a
> workstation, that type of installation is not supported by MS as it can lead
> to corruption.
> The pst should be hosted on the same PC as outlook
> If you use exchange it should be an ost file
>
> "Nisha" <Nisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects
> > my
> > server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the
> > morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting
> > account
> > is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is
> > blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it
> > possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Nisha (3)
5/15/2008 4:20:00 PM
If you're using an Exchange server, what impacts the server is the size of
your Exchange mailbox (the mail that is stored on the server). Exchange 2003
for example has a Store limit of 63 GB for example, if everyone's mailbox on
Exchange is as large as yours this can cause an issue if there's enough
users.

Is that what they're talking about? Do you need to decrease the size of your
mailbox that is held on the server?

If that's not the issue and they are talking about your PST, where is your
PST located? I don't believe it would be kept on the Exchange mail server. If
they're talking about your .OST file, that should be located on your
PC/laptop. You should clarify with them exactly what they are saying is too
large.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"Nisha" wrote:

> Hello "DL"- i believe it is ost file(exchange) because its on the server.
> Before our emails were hosted from outsource party, and we used to have .pst
> (pop -email), but now its hosted as an exchange from our inhouse server. I am
> just so lost in this process, i cant think straight
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
> > If you are saying the pst is hosted on the server, and being accessed by a
> > workstation, that type of installation is not supported by MS as it can lead
> > to corruption.
> > The pst should be hosted on the same PC as outlook
> > If you use exchange it should be an ost file
> >
> > "Nisha" <Nisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects
> > > my
> > > server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the
> > > morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting
> > > account
> > > is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is
> > > blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it
> > > possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible?
> > >
> > > Thanks

0
KOrland1 (1012)
5/15/2008 4:50:00 PM
Nisha <Nisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it
> effects my server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our
> emails in the morning appear offline, when i check the server it says
> the hosting account is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with
> my external IT, he is blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do
> not understand how is it possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such
> a problem? Is it possible?

Are you using a FAT32 file system or an NTFS file system.  The former has a
4 GB file limit.  If so, convert it to an NTFS file system, which can be
done with the disk management console, I think.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
tillman1952 (16051)
5/15/2008 5:28:42 PM
"K. Orland" <KOrland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you're using an Exchange server, what impacts the server is the size of
> your Exchange mailbox (the mail that is stored on the server). Exchange
> 2003
> for example has a Store limit of 63 GB for example,

<correction>
Exchange 2003 SP2 database max limit is 75GB

0
John
5/15/2008 10:50:50 PM
To be honest, it just sounds like an excuse to me. If you are having your
exchange externally hosted, if all is OK you should be able to connect to it
straight away. If your hosted email is listed offline then there is
something wrong with your connection to the net in some way. Either your own
connection is slow to come up - so is that your modem or your ISP? - or the
connection from you through your ISP to the hosting site is slow which is
the one I would bet on. So where is it hosted? When dial up was the normal
way of connecting to internet, in order to get Mcafee installed via online
installation, it was important to keep a constant tracert running or in the
end it would time out and you would have to start from scratch again. My bet
is that either your own pipe through your ISP is too small for your needs or
the more likely reason this is happening is that your hosted Exchange has
only a small pipe. Seen that one many times.

"Nisha" <Nisha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As per my external IT Company, because my .pst file is 4gigs, it effects
> my
> server workability, i mean lately three days in a row our emails in the
> morning appear offline, when i check the server it says the hosting
> account
> is disabled (WAN miniport pptp). So i spoke with my external IT, he is
> blaming it on my .pst being large, i just do not understand how is it
> possible for .pst with 4gigs to create such a problem? Is it possible?
>
> Thanks

0
id (19)

Exchange update problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

How to restore entire server?

can't customize toolbar

cant start outlook pst file to large

Excel Problem

SOAP Exception

Can anyone help ?

Border problems

Can't view messages with Autopreview
My current view is set to preview all items, however, my mail is not displayed in autopreview ...

can't add groups to public folders
I'm having a problem with my public folders - I can't add groups to them. I used to be able to, and now the members in a given group are unable to access that particular public folder. I can add individual users fine, but not groups. Anyone know how to fix this? Do you have sufficient rights in AD? What I am getting at, is that you need rights to change a group type to security. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://exchange.mvps.org "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23N3yrgRoEHA.3324@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I&...

How can I set an alarm Excel?
I would like to set an audible alarm in Excel based on a cell value. Try this in the worksheet VBA editor. If the value of A5 is greater than 50 you get a beep. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim frequency As Long Dim duration As Long If Target <> Range("A5") Then Exit Sub If Target.Value > 50 Then frequency = 4160 duration = 1500 Call Beep(frequency, duration) End If End Sub HTH Regards, Howard "Annell" <Annell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFE8AA18-3F14-4A92-941D-053922417AB2@mic...

Please Help w/ Large Excel File
Hello everyone. I have this Excel file that has drawing text box objects in the document. When I delete a text box the attributes still are present, but just not showing. It is continually growing my file size. When I export the document to HTML after deleting all the text box drawing objects and saving the file, the text box objects still show as vtextbox elements in this file. I tried to reproduce this with a new Excel workbook but could not. I would be greatful if anyone can figure this out, as I have a lot of documents to re-create if there is no solution. Thank you. exce...