.pst questions

When I search for .pst files - here's what I find:

On the desktop, internet files folder, I have the following 5 files:
Archive backup, Archive, Outlook Backup, and Outlook Archive Backup all
dated 9-22-04

In the Local settings, appl data, MS, Outlook folder I have the following 7
files:
Archive dated 2-7-06; Archive 1 backup, Archive 1, Backup, Outlook backup,
and Outlook all dtd 4-15-06; Archive backup dated 2-3-06

I would like to clean all of this up so I know where my outlook backups are
going, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

A couple months ago Outlook froze up when I was trying to send emails using
an add-on ProWrite.  I guess the old files in the Outlook folder are before
then.  I'm assumiing that I can delete all of the files in the desktop
folder.

I read the info at www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm.  It
says that to configure outlook with a new pst-file location, you need to
copy to the new location the outlook files.  Since I have so many of them, I
don't know which ones to copy to the new location.

--

Thanks,
Donna

0
donnaten (5)

Be sure you display "details" when using Windows Explorer to look for files.

Also, in  Windows Explorer, go to <Tools> <Folder Options> <View> and verify
these settings:

- Remove checkmark next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
- Do check "Show hidden files and folders"
- Do check "show th efull path in the title bar"

By displaying details, you'll be able to sort file, for example, by date. Do
this sort to identify working pst files.

Don't delete any files justn because they're in the desktop folder. Check
the dates. Even open them, at least long enough to study them from within
Outlook.

JolhnF

Donna in Idaho" <donnaten@gmail.com> wrote in message
> When I search for .pst files - here's what I find:
>
> On the desktop, internet files folder, I have the following 5 files:
> Archive backup, Archive, Outlook Backup, and Outlook Archive Backup all
> dated 9-22-04
>
> In the Local settings, appl data, MS, Outlook folder I have the following
> 7 files:
> Archive dated 2-7-06; Archive 1 backup, Archive 1, Backup, Outlook backup,
> and Outlook all dtd 4-15-06; Archive backup dated 2-3-06
>
> I would like to clean all of this up so I know where my outlook backups
> are going, but I'm not quite sure where to start.
>
> A couple months ago Outlook froze up when I was trying to send emails
> using an add-on ProWrite.  I guess the old files in the Outlook folder are
> before then.  I'm assumiing that I can delete all of the files in the
> desktop folder.
>
> I read the info at www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm.  It
> says that to configure outlook with a new pst-file location, you need to
> copy to the new location the outlook files.  Since I have so many of them,
> I don't know which ones to copy to the new location.
>
> --
>
> Thanks,
> Donna

Donna in Idaho <donnaten@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to clean all of this up so I know where my outlook
> backups are going, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Start by starting Outlook and finding which, if any, of those PSTs its
using.  You don't state your Outlook version, so I'll assume Outlook
2002/2003.  Click File>Data File Management and look at which of the PSTs
Outook has connected.

Then, open each remaining PST with File>Open>Outlook Data File to see if it
contains anyting you wish preserved.  When you've examined one, you can
close it, either from File>Data File Management or with right-click>Close in
the Outlook bar or Navigation Pane.  If it does contain something you want,
you can either drag and drop it to your existing PST or simply leave it
connected as-is.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)
4/16/2006 4:39:47 PM
Thanks, Brian.  Yes, I'm using Outlook 2003 - forgot to list that info.

Donna

> Donna in Idaho <donnaten@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to clean all of this up so I know where my outlook
>> backups are going, but I'm not quite sure where to start.
>
> Start by starting Outlook and finding which, if any, of those PSTs its
> using.  You don't state your Outlook version, so I'll assume Outlook
> 2002/2003.  Click File>Data File Management and look at which of the PSTs
> Outook has connected.
>
> Then, open each remaining PST with File>Open>Outlook Data File to see if
> it contains anyting you wish preserved.  When you've examined one, you can
> close it, either from File>Data File Management or with right-click>Close
> in the Outlook bar or Navigation Pane.  If it does contain something you
> want, you can either drag and drop it to your existing PST or simply leave
> it connected as-is.
> --
> Brian Tillman

0
donnaten (5)

Outlook 2002 backup question...please help!
Hi all, I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I cannot get into outlook (2002) via windows, but I can access files from dos. Can someone please tell me where the data files for outlook 2002 are stored, and which ones I'd need to copy? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim See if this info helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Jim" <lakerfan426@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OUhIH0oTGHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I >...

Subform Question 02-25-08
I have an unbound form that has 12 subforms (one subform for each month) on it. I have a combo box on my main form that I use to select the year. When a specific year is selected then the 12 subforms show my record totals for each month. On my main form footer I have a text box that sums up all the totals for each month. The problem I'm having is when I select a year and I only have data for lets say 2 months it will only show those two subforms. And then the sum total on my main form footer will not calculate just the 2 months of data shown. How do I get the other subforms to show ...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

*bubble - SCRIPT
Hi all ! The Kurt Grigg BUBBLES SCRIPT is a wanna-have to me... I downloaded a stationery for Outlook Express with the bubbles-script in - here : http://www.finelettersforyou.com/Artists/_penny_parker/penny_parker_Beauty_underthesea.html Only, if I use the stationery - the bubbles seem to vanish...!! The RECEIVER's inbox shows only those terrible RED X-es. Could you help me with this problem? Please??? Big Belgian Thanks ! Dear, Outlook Express!!!!!? please post in that group - this is an Outlook group. Regards Anver "~*MM*~" wrote: > Hi all ! > > The Ku...

Form question 08-17-07
I am working with Access 2000-2003. I have approximately 255 records in my table, and on the form, if I use my mouse wheel it moves down through all the records. Is there some way I can stop that from happening? I would like a blank form to appear every time I open it so I can input the information, and if I want to look up a previous record I want to have to put in the NCR # to bring it up. Eventually I will have a switchboard that takes me to this input form and it should be blank when it opens and only be accessible to previous records through input of the number. Thank you in a...

Two questions
I am running Exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. a clients use outlook 2003 sp1. I have a user whose mailbox is 3 gigs in size, should i be telling this user to pst it, because the mailbox could get corrupted? When is sp2 for exchanage available? Thanks It would probably stand more chance of being corrupt in a PST. I've seen mailboxes much bigger than 3GB, still working fine. Performance could suffer if most of the items are in the Inbox, for example. E2K3 SP2 is out now. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "...

questions about richedit
When using richedit,I found some questions: 1. stream in is too slow,especially when file is larger than 1M.I guess maybe it's as richedit only read 4k bytes when it calls streamincallback each time.Can I increase richedit's stream in size? 2. I want to record the scroll pos and caret pos for next time open.But when scroll pos is more than 2000 lines,richedit cannot scroll to the correct pos.I tried setscrollpos,linescroll,scrollcaret but all failed.I also tried to scroll several times,then I found it scrolled to the end of the text. 3. When opening a file including excel sheet,I fo...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange 5.5 Migration question
In Exchange 5.5, I was able to use the Internet Mail Service Connections tab to configure DNS for Message Delivery. In this tab, there is also a "Specify by E-Mail Domain" button that allows you to enter a domain and the IP address of that domain's email server. I need to do this with our new Exchange 2003 server. How do I do this? Thanks, Mike Ober. if you mean a way to forward email bound for a specific domain to a specific IP address, you will need to configure an smtp connector on your Exchange 2003 server...you might want to look at this: http://support.microsoft....

Short questions about Mac upgrade to 3004 Pro
Greetings - I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular version to the Pro to work with a major client. 1. Can the non-VPC Office X be upgraded to Office 2004 Pro? 2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage? 3. In August, I tried installing the test drive for Office 2004 (non-VPC), but apparently I had installed it some time back (although I used it little or not at all). Would not install. Is there a way I could demo the Pro version before upgrading/buying? Sometimes software companies ...

Simple question about send permissions
I have a user with multiple email addresses. The primary email address on this account does not match the domain the user is logged into ex. me@someotherdomain.com. But that works fine. All out going mail for that user has that other email address in the from field when it gets to it's intended recipients. Now if that user tries to send an email specifying a different email address in the from field he gets the following error in a returned email: "You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator." The address he ...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Print Question Newbie Please help
I am creating a spreadsheet that I need to print on 11x17 paper. My printer does not support 11x17 but I can send it to someone that does. How can I format my spreadsheet to use 11x17 so I can see all the cells etc. My guess is I need to install a print driver that supports 11x17 am I on the right track? If so can anyone suggest what I can use? Thanks Tom -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 0 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails...

Cell value/filename question...
I'm using forumulas like these to extract data from several differen files: =SUM('Coins\[coin value.xls]Group Costs'!$A$3). I have a colum that has all the filenames listed, but it's a huge hassle to go throug and change the formula each time I start a new row (keyword). What need is something like this: =SUM('Coins\[A3.xls]Group Costs'!$A$3). As you can see, I'm trying to get Excel to think that A3 really equal 'coin value'. I know this is possible with concatenation (it would tak a few extra steps) but I need all the data right in front of me as I' ...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

Doc/View question
I have reached a point where I need input on the following: For some time I have used MFC created apps with Doc/View and made my base view class as CFormView. It was convenient and quick, but I was putting all of my data variables in the ViewClass since that was where the class wizard put all my control variables and it seemed convenient in my ignorance. If I had to access files I used ofstream from within my view class. So now it has become apparent that I have things backwards (so it appears from what I read ) in that I should have been creating data variables in the CDocument...

Memory Question
I have not changed my soft wear. I did change my DSL provider. Now when I go to web sites and I put in the information sign or like mapquest it does not remember it. I have to keep putting it in. How can i get the computer to remember again? Um, not an Outlook problem. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Memory Confused asked: | I have not changed my soft wear. I did change my DSL provider. Now | when I go to web si...

PST file over 2GB and corrupted
Hello! When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize PST file, from what portion of the file does it delete data? Start (old stuff?), middle, or end of file (new stuff?)? Gregg Hill There is no real way to determine what content will be cut. Take a backup, run the pst2gb utility and assess the result in Outlook. "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OWiuSM90GHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello! > > When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize > PST file, from what portion of t...

Great Plains Upgrade Options? (Questions)
I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need to do an upgrade what are my options. I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4 and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also. The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\" directory Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to install the new files on each machine and then log in as an administrator from each machine! Is this correct? Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as administrator) then co...

archive.pst and outlook.pst
Hello, Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them? Tks in advance Pedro That is correct. Pedro wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? > The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then > reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i ...