.pst question

Outlook/Exchange novice here....
I have a user that has archived files to different areas
on his laptop. He wants them all to appear in his folder
list under Archive Folders. If I copy and paste them into
docs and settings\%username%\local settings\application
data\microsoft\outlook do i need to rename the files so as
not to overwrite the one archived file that is in there?
In other words, what is the proper procedure to restore
these archived files that are not where Outlook 2k sees
them so that they can be viewed in his Archive Folders
list?

Thank you
0
anonymous (74722)

Hey,

What I would do is put all the .pst files in one directory
besides the archive file. Add each .pst file as a Personal
Folder. You should then see these folders as separate
mailboxes. Then you can finally add the actual "Archive"
folder from it's default stored location. Then copy all
them mail, etc. from each .pst file you added to the
original Archive folder. Just to avoid confusion, inside
each .pst file you add, make a folder under the inbox and
call it "archive 1" "archive 2" and so on so you don't get
confused as to which .pst is which. What sometimes happens
is the .pst files may all be recognized as "Archive
Folders" and you might forget which is which. Hope that
helps.

0
anonymous (74722)

Outlook 2002 backup question...please help!
Hi all, I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I cannot get into outlook (2002) via windows, but I can access files from dos. Can someone please tell me where the data files for outlook 2002 are stored, and which ones I'd need to copy? Thanks in advance for any help. Jim See if this info helps: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Jim" <lakerfan426@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OUhIH0oTGHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I am having a problem with windows which may require me to reformat. I >...

Subform Question 02-25-08
I have an unbound form that has 12 subforms (one subform for each month) on it. I have a combo box on my main form that I use to select the year. When a specific year is selected then the 12 subforms show my record totals for each month. On my main form footer I have a text box that sums up all the totals for each month. The problem I'm having is when I select a year and I only have data for lets say 2 months it will only show those two subforms. And then the sum total on my main form footer will not calculate just the 2 months of data shown. How do I get the other subforms to show ...

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

*bubble - SCRIPT
Hi all ! The Kurt Grigg BUBBLES SCRIPT is a wanna-have to me... I downloaded a stationery for Outlook Express with the bubbles-script in - here : http://www.finelettersforyou.com/Artists/_penny_parker/penny_parker_Beauty_underthesea.html Only, if I use the stationery - the bubbles seem to vanish...!! The RECEIVER's inbox shows only those terrible RED X-es. Could you help me with this problem? Please??? Big Belgian Thanks ! Dear, Outlook Express!!!!!? please post in that group - this is an Outlook group. Regards Anver "~*MM*~" wrote: > Hi all ! > > The Ku...

Form question 08-17-07
I am working with Access 2000-2003. I have approximately 255 records in my table, and on the form, if I use my mouse wheel it moves down through all the records. Is there some way I can stop that from happening? I would like a blank form to appear every time I open it so I can input the information, and if I want to look up a previous record I want to have to put in the NCR # to bring it up. Eventually I will have a switchboard that takes me to this input form and it should be blank when it opens and only be accessible to previous records through input of the number. Thank you in a...

Two questions
I am running Exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. a clients use outlook 2003 sp1. I have a user whose mailbox is 3 gigs in size, should i be telling this user to pst it, because the mailbox could get corrupted? When is sp2 for exchanage available? Thanks It would probably stand more chance of being corrupt in a PST. I've seen mailboxes much bigger than 3GB, still working fine. Performance could suffer if most of the items are in the Inbox, for example. E2K3 SP2 is out now. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "...

questions about richedit
When using richedit,I found some questions: 1. stream in is too slow,especially when file is larger than 1M.I guess maybe it's as richedit only read 4k bytes when it calls streamincallback each time.Can I increase richedit's stream in size? 2. I want to record the scroll pos and caret pos for next time open.But when scroll pos is more than 2000 lines,richedit cannot scroll to the correct pos.I tried setscrollpos,linescroll,scrollcaret but all failed.I also tried to scroll several times,then I found it scrolled to the end of the text. 3. When opening a file including excel sheet,I fo...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

Exchange 5.5 Migration question
In Exchange 5.5, I was able to use the Internet Mail Service Connections tab to configure DNS for Message Delivery. In this tab, there is also a "Specify by E-Mail Domain" button that allows you to enter a domain and the IP address of that domain's email server. I need to do this with our new Exchange 2003 server. How do I do this? Thanks, Mike Ober. if you mean a way to forward email bound for a specific domain to a specific IP address, you will need to configure an smtp connector on your Exchange 2003 server...you might want to look at this: http://support.microsoft....

Short questions about Mac upgrade to 3004 Pro
Greetings - I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular version to the Pro to work with a major client. 1. Can the non-VPC Office X be upgraded to Office 2004 Pro? 2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage? 3. In August, I tried installing the test drive for Office 2004 (non-VPC), but apparently I had installed it some time back (although I used it little or not at all). Would not install. Is there a way I could demo the Pro version before upgrading/buying? Sometimes software companies ...

Simple question about send permissions
I have a user with multiple email addresses. The primary email address on this account does not match the domain the user is logged into ex. me@someotherdomain.com. But that works fine. All out going mail for that user has that other email address in the from field when it gets to it's intended recipients. Now if that user tries to send an email specifying a different email address in the from field he gets the following error in a returned email: "You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator." The address he ...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Print Question Newbie Please help
I am creating a spreadsheet that I need to print on 11x17 paper. My printer does not support 11x17 but I can send it to someone that does. How can I format my spreadsheet to use 11x17 so I can see all the cells etc. My guess is I need to install a print driver that supports 11x17 am I on the right track? If so can anyone suggest what I can use? Thanks Tom -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 0 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails...

Cell value/filename question...
I'm using forumulas like these to extract data from several differen files: =SUM('Coins\[coin value.xls]Group Costs'!$A$3). I have a colum that has all the filenames listed, but it's a huge hassle to go throug and change the formula each time I start a new row (keyword). What need is something like this: =SUM('Coins\[A3.xls]Group Costs'!$A$3). As you can see, I'm trying to get Excel to think that A3 really equal 'coin value'. I know this is possible with concatenation (it would tak a few extra steps) but I need all the data right in front of me as I' ...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

Doc/View question
I have reached a point where I need input on the following: For some time I have used MFC created apps with Doc/View and made my base view class as CFormView. It was convenient and quick, but I was putting all of my data variables in the ViewClass since that was where the class wizard put all my control variables and it seemed convenient in my ignorance. If I had to access files I used ofstream from within my view class. So now it has become apparent that I have things backwards (so it appears from what I read ) in that I should have been creating data variables in the CDocument...

Memory Question
I have not changed my soft wear. I did change my DSL provider. Now when I go to web sites and I put in the information sign or like mapquest it does not remember it. I have to keep putting it in. How can i get the computer to remember again? Um, not an Outlook problem. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Memory Confused asked: | I have not changed my soft wear. I did change my DSL provider. Now | when I go to web si...

PST file over 2GB and corrupted
Hello! When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize PST file, from what portion of the file does it delete data? Start (old stuff?), middle, or end of file (new stuff?)? Gregg Hill There is no real way to determine what content will be cut. Take a backup, run the pst2gb utility and assess the result in Outlook. "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OWiuSM90GHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello! > > When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize > PST file, from what portion of t...

Great Plains Upgrade Options? (Questions)
I have Great Plains client installed on approx 80-100 machines and need to do an upgrade what are my options. I am getting ready to upgrade Great Plains to a new Service pack 7.5 sp4 and I'm going to upgrade severl 3rd party products also. The client install was installed to the local "C:\Great Plains\" directory Based on my current limited knowledge of Great Plains I will have to install the new files on each machine and then log in as an administrator from each machine! Is this correct? Is it possible for me to upgrade one machine (and log in as administrator) then co...

archive.pst and outlook.pst
Hello, Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them? Tks in advance Pedro That is correct. Pedro wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? > The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then > reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i ...