.pst installation problem

I just loaded OL on my lap and tranfered the .pst from my
dektop. All the info loaded, but when I shut down and
reopened OL, it locked up at the license screen. I can't
do anything from inside the program.
I assume the problem is with the .pst import, but I can't
find the .pst file on my hard drive to delete it.
Any suggestions on what I can do to get OL to open fully?
Thanks.
0
anonymous (74722)

You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file.  This is the file that stores your
toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlook can't use it
at startup to build your toolbars, thus causing the hangups.  Try renaming
or deleting your outcmd.dat file while Outlook is closed.  Renaming it might
be the best idea if you have a lot of customizations that you'd prefer not
to lose; that way if renaming the file doesn't solve your problem, you may
be able to restore it later when you do get Outlook working properly again.

Note:  If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to search in hidden
and system folders to find the outcmd.dat file.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:04f501c3b638$4d10db40$a401280a@phx.gbl,
Chris wrote:

> I just loaded OL on my lap and tranfered the .pst from my
> dektop. All the info loaded, but when I shut down and
> reopened OL, it locked up at the license screen. I can't
> do anything from inside the program.
> I assume the problem is with the .pst import, but I can't
> find the .pst file on my hard drive to delete it.
> Any suggestions on what I can do to get OL to open fully?
> Thanks.

I searched for the outcmd.dat file (hidden files also)
with no luck. I'm using Win98SE with OL 2000.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help.
0
anonymous (74722)
11/29/2003 6:34:32 AM
OOPS,
I mistyped. The lap is running Win2K with Office 2K Pro
0
anonymous (74722)
11/29/2003 6:39:23 AM
So you have searched within hidden and system *folders* (not hidden files)
on the Win2000 machine and didn't find outcmd.dat?  If not, it may not have
been created -- it's only created if toolbar/menu customizations are made.
..PST files are also commonly created in hidden and system folders in
Win2000/XP, so try searching for the .PST again and enable the hidden/system
folder search.

When you find the .PST file, rename it or move it somewhere else, then try
restarting Outlook.  If it opens, it should ask you where the .PST file
is -- point it to the renamed file or to wherever you moved the file to, and
it should open then.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

In news:931c01c3b643$86996610$a601280a@phx.gbl,
Chris wrote:

> OOPS,
> I mistyped. The lap is running Win2K with Office 2K Pro

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Microsoft Exchange Server
Can anyone help me understand the Microsoft Exchange Server installation process? I have Windows XP and Office XP (2002), and have Outlook installed and running. However, I'd like to be able to use the features of Microsoft Exchange Server under Outlook - e.g. sharing the calendar. When I activate the Mail icon in the Control Panel and choose Microsoft Exchange Server, I have to input the name of "your Microsoft Exchange Server computer. For information, see your system administrator" - I AM THE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!!!!! It's a small home computer network. Nowhere I hav...

Can Not Enter Actuals inMy Tasks after Server 2007 SP2 install
Hi folks, Immeidately after an upgrade of Server 2007 to SP2, users could no longer edit actual hours in My Task's daily time grid, but could still edit other fields like “Start” and “Finish". We figured the February 2010 Cumulative Update (CU) would fix it. We tried switching and testing all three tracking methods (Percent work complete, Actual work done and work remaining, Hours or work done per period). Still, we can not enter time under each date. Also tried republishing the project and that didn’t fix it either. Any ideas? Is this a known problems in Feb ...

any special install for sp2 cluster
hi how to install sp2 exchange 2003 on windows 2003 cluster? There will be threads in the microsoft.public.exchange.clustering that will help you on this topic. "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote in message news:eRPov5C7FHA.3276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > hi > how to install sp2 exchange 2003 on windows 2003 > cluster? > Bottom line, though, is that YES, there is a special way to upgrade clusters. Follow the same instructions as for SP1 http://www.support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867624 and you should be fine -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne &quo...

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

OpenForm arguments problem
Hi I am having a problem with OpenForm arguments, basically I want to dbl click on a listbox 'frmAuditTrail' and use the value in Column(2) of the listbox for the OpenForm argument, in order to filter the form to the ID of the patient I have dbl clicked on. frmPatient is the form I want to open, filtered to the correct patient, I am using the following code to do this in the dbl click event of frmAuditTrail -- Private Sub lstView2_DblClick(Cancel As Integer) Dim strValue As String strValue = Me.lstView2.Column(2) DoCmd.OpenForm "frmPatient", , , "[PtID] =" &a...

problem accessing attachments
How can I restore the access to an attachment file that has been marked as an unsafe file? If I highlight the e- mail containing the attachment and then I click forward the next window shows the attachment as being clear and I am able to open it. Is there a an option where I can unblock this command. This is happpening to all my e-mails that contain attachments, even to ones that I was able to open before. thanks Sounds like you're using Outlook Express - and actually, what you're doing is one of the best methods. That said, you can change the secutrity options in tools | o...

Full Text Indexing Error on CRM Install
Hi I'm getting the following error during install at select SQL Server "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server." I've installed Index Service, and also went back and reinstalled the full text module in SQL Server 2000. Still getting the error. How do I fix this? Hi Have you checked the indexing service is started in services? Regards Dan "amwbgi" wrote: > Hi > > I'm getting the following error during install at select SQL Server > > "Full-Text Indexing needs to be running on the specified SQL server....

Outlook Express
I have 'lost' all my email for the last year+ when I updated from Win 98SE to XP Home. I reviewed the MKB article 312359 but I wasn't able to find any .dbx files on my computer using Explorer. The world won't come to an end but I would like to recover all the missing e-mail. Has anyone had this problem and knows how to fix? Thanks. ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Installing SP1 on Exchange 2K3 cluster
Hello all, How can I find out on which node in an Exchange 2003 cluster SP1 is allready installed? I installed SP1 on one node a couple of weeks ago, but I am now uncertain on which node I did this. Many thanks in advance. -- Richard Richard - Since the Exchange binaries are installed independently on each node of the cluster, one easy way is to see which node has the updated files on it. Take a look at the version of one of the principle files -- say STORE.EXE -- on each node. The one with version 7226 is the SP1 node (RTM of Exchange 2003 would be 6944). -- Evan Dodds Microsoft Excha...

Strange Problem With One User
One user in our organisation cannot receive external e-mail. Messages are been bounced back with a 550 unroutable address. All other users are unaffected. this user can send mail. receive internal mail, but not external. when you look at exchange manager, you can see mail in her mailbox. She is experiencing no network problems. if you connect to her mailbox on a different computer her mailbox seems to open in exchange but it is empty. I have deleted and recreated everything i could think of still she cannot see her e-mail in exchange. we are using win 2003 sbs and outlook 2003 Any He...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

How to install a "Communications cable between two computers" 07-21-10
I need a PPP connection thru a COM port. Going thru the New Connection Wizard and selecting a COM port, XP installs a new modem "Communications cable between two computers" which is then used by a new "Direct" RAS connection. Setting up the RAS connection was easy by means of RasSetEntryProperties. But how to install the "Communications cable between two computers" modem without user interaction? I've found an answer in the InstallFAQ.doc document, under "What is a root-enumerated driver and how do I install one programmatically?"...

Moving mialboxes between two sites
Hello, i've migrated mailboxes from one 5.5 exchange site to another (already existing for a long time) one (exchange 5.5, too), using exmerge. It was rather very successfull with few small problems - some clients (outlook2003, outlook2000) cached "raw" addressess, if user sent mail to mailbox, which was migrated - they received message "cannot delivery... blahblahblah", they had to once use address SMTP to "uncache" - this is no problem, ok, I can manage it - the same clients - i f they have appointment in their calendars - if they update its - users from ol...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Problem accessing SQL server 2008 job history
I've been using code along the lines of... [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO') | Out-Null $sqlServer = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server') $instance $jobHistoryFilter = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobHistoryFilter') $jobHistoryFilter.OutComeTypes = 'Failed' $sqlServer.JobServer.EnumJobHistory($jobHistoryFilter) ....To access SQL server job history. Which until now has worked OK. We have just had a SQL server 2008 instance setup. When I try t...

3 cell problem
Hi need help with this simple task. 3 cells A1 A2 & A3, if cell a2 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display yes, if cell a3 has the number 1 in it I need cell A1 to display no, If both cells are blank I need A1 to be blank. Thanks Much... Diane maybe... =if(a2=1,"yes",if(a3=1,"no",if(and(a2="",a3=""),"","what goes here"))) What happens if both a2 and a3 contain 1? What happens if A2 or A3 are not blank, but don't contain 1? ...

Opening Outlook 2003 prompts installer for Office XP (MOS 03 Installed)
My confusion and *annoyance type problem* is this: I have Office 2003 Pro installed. All components work fine. But when I open up Outlook 2003, an installer box for Office XP pops up, and if I let it run it prompts me with a familiar box we all have seen for installing SPs or sometimes updates that "the feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom that is not available...Insert the 'Microsoft Office XP Professional Disk' and click OK.' It shows me an *error 1706*--"setup can't find the required files." Of course it can't; I'm not giving it an Office...

Problem go to native mode Exchange 2000
Try to change to native mode for Exchnage 2000 but can�t decommision last Exchange 5.5 server. Followed the steps from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 284148 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284148) but can't see the 5.5 server from the Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator connected to exchange 2000 server. Found the follwing on (se below for accepted answer): http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_20478211.html Which seems to be good solution but when presented this manual remove to a consult he said that we could get problem to create a new post...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Please urgent help needed: VB problem
Dear Sirs, I tried to add a clock code to my DB form in VB – all out of a sudden I got an electricity failure. I tried to open my DB form again in design mode to continue but immediately a Microsoft message appears (Microsoft Office Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. Send error report.). I do not even get a chance to open the VB code, because as soon as I click on “send error report” Access is closing down. If I would like to open my form in form view I get immediately the following error message: The expression OnOpen as the event property setting produced the follow...

laptop serious video problem
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop M105-S3084 running Windows XP which today started giving me scary video problems that I do not know how to figure out. When I boot up the laptop, the screen shows the initial BIOS bootup screen (with "click F2 to setup .... etc." at the bottom). This stays on for 1 second and the screen goes dark. The disc drive light goes on but nothing appears on the screen. I have a BIOS password, so when I guess that request has appeared and enter it and press enter and notice that the bootup into XP continues (because the drive light goes back on) but...