"stronger" or "more powerful" repair for PST files than SCANPST?

I'm having a problem with Outlook 2003 crashing frequently and
unpredictably and with Outlook sometimes hanging while starting up. In
the latter case, I need to use Task Manager to stop the Outlook.pst
process and then restart.  I run SCANPST very frequently, several
times a day, because of all the crashes.

Sometimes Outlook stalls on startup right after I've run SCANPST.
Other times, Outlook crashes after only a few minutes of usage, right
after a SCANPST.  So I'm wondering if one of the expensive commercial
Outlook repair utilities can fix my problem(s).  I would have to pay
for this out of my own pocket, but I'm willing to do so.  Any
comments?

Are there any alternative ways to address this problem?

I use multiple PST files, even though I'm using a Unicode-based PST
file, to make it easier for backups and shuttling the files between
desktop and laptop.    These PST files range between 400 and 800 MB
each, with say 20-30 thousand emails each.

I'm running OL 2003 with Win XP, with all the service packs applied on
both desktop and laptops.

You are addressing the resulting problem & not the cause
You need to asertain what is causing the crashes or hanging, iether problem
could cause pst corruption
Try running Outlook using the safe switch to see if it then runs ok
Start
Run
Outlook.exe /safe

"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with Outlook 2003 crashing frequently and
> unpredictably and with Outlook sometimes hanging while starting up. In
> the latter case, I need to use Task Manager to stop the Outlook.pst
> process and then restart.  I run SCANPST very frequently, several
> times a day, because of all the crashes.
>
> Sometimes Outlook stalls on startup right after I've run SCANPST.
> Other times, Outlook crashes after only a few minutes of usage, right
> after a SCANPST.  So I'm wondering if one of the expensive commercial
> Outlook repair utilities can fix my problem(s).  I would have to pay
> for this out of my own pocket, but I'm willing to do so.  Any
> comments?
>
> Are there any alternative ways to address this problem?
>
> I use multiple PST files, even though I'm using a Unicode-based PST
> file, to make it easier for backups and shuttling the files between
> desktop and laptop.    These PST files range between 400 and 800 MB
> each, with say 20-30 thousand emails each.
>
> I'm running OL 2003 with Win XP, with all the service packs applied on
> both desktop and laptops.

0
notvalid5776 (249)
7/15/2009 8:29:55 AM
While there are a number of repair tools that are better than scanpst when
the pst is corrupt, you need to figure out why you need to run scanpst
frequently. It should be a rare-to-never process.

Assuming the problem isn't a failing hard drive, what addins are installed?
Disable all non-microsoft addins and see if it works.

Other tools are here: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with Outlook 2003 crashing frequently and
> unpredictably and with Outlook sometimes hanging while starting up. In
> the latter case, I need to use Task Manager to stop the Outlook.pst
> process and then restart.  I run SCANPST very frequently, several
> times a day, because of all the crashes.
>
> Sometimes Outlook stalls on startup right after I've run SCANPST.
> Other times, Outlook crashes after only a few minutes of usage, right
> after a SCANPST.  So I'm wondering if one of the expensive commercial
> Outlook repair utilities can fix my problem(s).  I would have to pay
> for this out of my own pocket, but I'm willing to do so.  Any
> comments?
>
> Are there any alternative ways to address this problem?
>
> I use multiple PST files, even though I'm using a Unicode-based PST
> file, to make it easier for backups and shuttling the files between
> desktop and laptop.    These PST files range between 400 and 800 MB
> each, with say 20-30 thousand emails each.
>
> I'm running OL 2003 with Win XP, with all the service packs applied on
> both desktop and laptops.

0
outlookmvp (5838)
7/15/2009 3:16:31 PM
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:29:55 +0100, "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk>
wrote:

>You are addressing the resulting problem & not the cause
>You need to asertain what is causing the crashes or hanging, iether problem
>could cause pst corruption
>Try running Outlook using the safe switch to see if it then runs ok
>Start
>Run
>Outlook.exe /safe

OK I certainly can (and will) follow this suggestion.  But what's my
next step?  Should I turn on logging (how?), and if so, should I do
that BEFORE I start to run Outlook in safe mode?

Are there any Outlook config files which I should delete, which would
then be rebuilt automatically by Outlook?  Does it help to delete my
profile (and then have to re-install all my email accounts)?

I really, really appreciate this advice.  I'm not trying to be
difficult.  I'm just trying to know what steps to take without having
to clutter this group with new questions every day.

-AH
"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote

Andrew,

    Are the pst files local or are you attempting to access them across
a network?

Regards,

Len Agoado
agoado@msn.com

0
len3136 (4)
7/16/2009 9:37:15 PM
Its unlikely that any outlook config files are causing any pst corruption

> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:29:55 +0100, "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>You are addressing the resulting problem & not the cause
>>You need to asertain what is causing the crashes or hanging, iether
>>problem
>>could cause pst corruption
>>Try running Outlook using the safe switch to see if it then runs ok
>>Start
>>Run
>>Outlook.exe /safe
>
> OK I certainly can (and will) follow this suggestion.  But what's my
> next step?  Should I turn on logging (how?), and if so, should I do
> that BEFORE I start to run Outlook in safe mode?
>
> Are there any Outlook config files which I should delete, which would
> then be rebuilt automatically by Outlook?  Does it help to delete my
> profile (and then have to re-install all my email accounts)?
>
> I really, really appreciate this advice.  I'm not trying to be
> difficult.  I'm just trying to know what steps to take without having
> to clutter this group with new questions every day.
>
> -AH

0
notvalid5776 (249)
7/17/2009 7:54:00 AM
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:37:15 -0700, "Leonard Agoado" <len@mwswire.com>
wrote:

>"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote
>

>Andrew,
>
>    Are the pst files local or are you attempting to access them across
>a network?

Local.  More reliable that way, and also faster.

-AH
This past Monday I started a new consulting project, working in the
client's office.  Naturally, I got an email account on their Exchange
Server.

So, running Outlook in SAFE MODE with the newly created (and very
small) OST file, I still had Outlook crashes.

I have had the same crash problem on my main desktop system and on my
laptop, both running OL 2003 under Windows XP SP3.  I have had the
same crash problem with my own very large email system, with multiple
PST files, and with the client's OST file.

My conclusion:  Both systems are suffering from "bit rot." My desktop
system has been weird for several weeks now, and after the last freeze
up, can no longer boot into Windows.  Time to re-install.

My laptop system has intermittent problems the with UP/DOWN keys,
which mysteriously disappear with a reboot.  An IT guy at work
suggested that I re-install Windows or try some other way to detect a
bad file.  I just bought a larger drive for my laptop, for this
project.  Instead of copying over the installed Windows install, I'll
do a clean install and leave all the rotten bits behind.

After all this is done, when I have some "free time" again, I'll look
into more powerful PST repair utilities.

One of my business colleagues keeps telling me that all these problems
would go away if I bought a Mac.  I'm beginning to think he's right.

-AH