"Move to Folder" does not work but brings up an email form

Outlook  is not working right. ----   "Advance Find" I right click on a
result and then click on "Move to Folder"  I select the designated folder,
and it does not work.   An email form is generated for the recipient instead.

How do I get it to "Move to Folder" ?  Do I abandon Outlook and go back to
Outlook Express?

outlook version? detect and repair not working? scanpst.exe?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

After furious head scratching, www.PoetPatriot.com asked:

| Outlook  is not working right. ----   "Advance Find" I right click on
| a result and then click on "Move to Folder"  I select the designated
| folder, and it does not work.   An email form is generated for the
| recipient instead.
|
| How do I get it to "Move to Folder" ?  Do I abandon Outlook and go
| back to Outlook Express?

0
Milly
9/28/2008 11:41:24 AM
What item type are you moving to what folder type? If it’s a non-mail item
and you are moving it to a mail folder, it will open a new mail message with
the item attached.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"www.PoetPatriot.com" <wwwPoetPatriotcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:55193EC3-87EF-45BB-B5B6-FA66A57DC04B@microsoft.com...
> Outlook  is not working right. ----   "Advance Find" I right click on a
> result and then click on "Move to Folder"  I select the designated folder,
> and it does not work.   An email form is generated for the recipient
> instead.
>
> How do I get it to "Move to Folder" ?  Do I abandon Outlook and go back to
> Outlook Express?

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Move to folder rule is copying to folder, not moving
I set up rules to move messages from a particular sender to a particular folder. But outlook is just copying message to folder so I end up with a bunch of duplicate messages. I checked the rules settings and it IS set to MOVE and not COPY. Anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks This happend with me as well, I have no other option left then t reformat the entire system and setup outlook once again. I will bookmark this link for some specific solution to your problem -- Merry Fishe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Merry Fisher's Pro...

Move to folder issue
hi guys when i right click on an email and select move to folder i would like all folders and sub folders to be expanded rather than having to manually open subfolders within folders is this possible? kind regards -- stevecontracts "stevecontracts" <stevecontracts.5c0264b@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:stevecontracts.5c0264b@outlookbanter.com... > when i right click on an email and select move to folder i would like > all folders and sub folders to be expanded rather than having to > manually open subfolders within folders is thi...

Outlook 2007 "Move to folder" default setting
By default, in Outlook 2007, when you right-click on a message and select "Move to Folder", the initial folder selected is the last folder that a message has been moved into. Is there a way to have this option always default to Inbox? Thanks much for the help! No, but you can also directly move the message to your Inbox folder via drag & drop instead of using the Move To dialog for this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

Move to Folder stunner�
Hi, I'm using Outlook in Office Professional 2003. I have a calendar entry that on second thought should have been created as a task. This calendar entry has an embedded Word document in it. So I open the Calendar entry and do File / Move to Folder�, and select the Tasks folder. Outlook magically creates a task out of the calendar entry� except for one minor problem: The embedded Word document is GONE! Is this a bug or a feature? Am I missing something? Or does Outlook arbitrarily leave things out when it converts between calendar and task? Thanks Your observation is correct: Attac...

Move To Folder...
I used Moved to Folder option on an email and double clicked on my mailbox and the message is gone anyone know where this could of gone? I have Outlook 2000 TIA D ...

Move to folder problem in outlook 2007
I've created folders in my inbox, but I created too many. After I had deleted them, I discovered they are still showing in the folder 'Move to folder'. When you select the folder, which has been deleted it come up with an error message saying it can't be opened. How do I get rid of these folders showing? "Bindi" <Bindi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5ED99B14-2553-4FB7-A8B1-4BEE1EEE3B1C@microsoft.com... > I've created folders in my inbox, but I created too many. After I had > deleted them, I discovered they are st...

Expandlig number of entries in "Move to folder" list
Is there any way to expand the list of "Move to folder" entries beyond the 10 that seem to be programmed into Outlook. Move to folder is a great feature, and since I use it so often, with about 15 - 20 common folders, the limitation of only having 10 entries means that, at any point in time, at least 5 of my common entries are not on the list, and must be selected again, using a browse method. After browsing, they are once again on the list, but some other common folder has now been eliminated. You can use rules to move items to folders that are commonly used for the Mo...

OL2003
In Outlook 2000, clicking the Move to Folder button displayed a dropdown box with the names of folders that I previously moved messaged to. It also had a button to browse to and select other folders. In OL2003, the Move to Folder button seems to only display a pop-up window with which I have to scroll and select a folder every time. For me, the function was way better implemented in OL2000. Is there a way to make OL2003 Move to Folder behave like it does in OL2000? Thanks, David No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote...

How to customise Outlook Today page and Move To Folder list ??
Because I have four different Inboxes, (2 Hotmail, 1 IMAP and one POP3), I am not sure which one I am dealing with sometimes, as they are all called Inbox. Is there any way I can give them 'friendly names' on the Outlook Today screen, so it can be of some use? Is there a file that can be edited? Also, the folders that appear in the Move To Folder list are not the ones that I ideally want, and as there are four called Inbox, I cannot really use those as I do not know which one is which. What can I do about this. I do not think that renaming the Inbox in the IMAP account is pos...

How to clear the "Move to Folder" list
Hi, I am trying to work out how to clear the "Move to folder" list which appears when clicking on the move to folder icon (as 2 sub-folders with the same name appear). Has anyone got any ideas? Many Thanks Its either the outcmd.dat (find and rename it) file or in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\ where x.0 = your outlook version. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook ...

'Cannot move to folder...' rule error
My rules stopped working. When I go to run them manually, I get a 'Cannot move to folder X...' error. Doesn't say WHY I can't move it, though. Any idea what might be causing this? -Darrel -- ================================================================= Win prizes searching google: http://www.blingo.com/friends?ref=hM72-GU3FWzMFnTqhv-2GE1FNtA ...

"Move to folder" icons unlabeled
Using the "Move to Folder" command, the icons displayed are missing their names/labels. I've used this feature for years, but I just purchased a new copy/license of Outlook and installed it on a new PC with Windows 7.0, and it is giving this problem. Nothing happens if I right-click the icons displayed, and I've searched in vain for help in the MS support forums as well as the Microsoft site. Thanks in advance for your solution(s)!! ...

MOVE TO FOLDER- How to get more folders showing in Outlook 2003?
I currently have Outlook 2003 and when I click the "move to folder" icon, 10 of my most recently used folder show up. Is there a way to add more? I would like to have the last 15 or 20 folders I have recently used? Is this possible? Thanks Mike Using CTRL+SHIFT+V for Move to Folder displays all the folders in your folder list. It's the only way that I can think of. Kristin "Mike" wrote: > I currently have Outlook 2003 and when I click the "move to folder" > icon, 10 of my most recently used folder show up. > > Is there a way to add more? I w...

Rules and Alerts: Move to folder then when it starts to age delete
Hello, i wonder it you can help me? At work I get a logisitics report sent to me via email every other day. I currently have a rule that puts this report into a Logistics Report folder. Each qtr I archive all my email. Is there an automatic way to move this report to a logisitics report folder and then auto delete these as they start to get old prior to the full Archive. ie I would only like to keep these reports for say a week and idealy delete them all but the latest one prior to archiving. Can this be done? Many thanks Jonathan ...

Move To Folder (copies to OLD Mailbox)
Hi i have recently completly a maibox migration from one Exchange5.5 Site to another Exchange 5.5 Site. The mail client is Outlook 2000. The original site is still intact with the mailboxes hidden. However i am finding that when users click the Move To Folder icon in Outlook and move an email it ends up in the old mailbox. The move to folder icon displays what appears to be a cache of folders were items have been moved to, is there any way of clearing this view as this would then force the users to select the correct folder. i guess i could shut the server down but i want to keep it runnin...

move to folder rule sends to wrong folder
I use outlook 2003 to download mail from 5 pop3 accounts. I have 5 rules setup, each examines the account the mail came from and then routes it to the appropriate folder under my inbox. (a folder exists for each account). 4 of the rules work perfectly fine but one insists on reverting so that it points to the first folder (alphabetically) when i hit apply. as an example... account1 -> folder1 account2 -> folder2 account3 -> folder1 ... this should point to folder3 account4 -> folder4 account5 -> folder5 I've tried deleting the folder and rule, however as soon as...

Rules returns "cannot move to folder" error
I'm using outlook 2000 and I have set a rule to sort mail into a particular folder, that Does Exist, but Outlook fails to move it from the inbox into the folder. It gives me a Cannot Move to Folder error message, then inactivates the rule. ...

Message deselected when "Move to Folder" is clicked
I transferred my outlook files to a new computer with the same version of Outlook (XP) and the same Service Pack installed (SP3). Now, when I right-click on an e-mail and choose "Move to folder", the e-mail is deselected while I choose which folder to send it to. On my old computer it stayed selected so I could see which e-mail I was moving. How can I change it so that the message stays selected? "V_Jamie" <V_Jamie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9935A52-9146-4430-ACAB-737EA51E826A@microsoft.com... >I transferred my outlook files to a new ...

Use "Move to Folder" icon without the mouse
How can I use the "Move to Folder" icon without using the mouse? (in OL 2003) When receiving lots of email messages per day, it's nice to be able to quickly file message to folders using the Recently-used-folder-list available via the "Move to folder icon" on the Advanced toolbar. But it stinks having to use the mouse to do so. Things I've tried that don't work: 1) Using Ctrl-Shift-V. (Doesn't show me the recently used folders...I have to navigate folder structure to find a folder.) 2) Customizing the toolbar button to show Image and Text so I could ...

"Move to folder" doesn't show folder labels
Outlook 2007, Windows 7: The "move to folder" command only shows the icons, not the folder labels/titles. I have to guess which folder might correspond to the subfolder I want to move an e-mail to. How do I get the labels/titles to appear? I've used Outlook for 6 years -- including OUTLOOK 2007 SINCE 'O7 and never had this problem until I migrated to Windows 7. Help!! Thanks. "Teragram7" <Teragram7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED0276B0-703E-4269-96DC-D4327743EA17@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2007, Windows 7: The "...

"Move to Folder" does not work but brings up an email form
Outlook is not working right. ---- "Advance Find" I right click on a result and then click on "Move to Folder" I select the designated folder, and it does not work. An email form is generated for the recipient instead. How do I get it to "Move to Folder" ? Do I abandon Outlook and go back to Outlook Express? outlook version? detect and repair not working? scanpst.exe? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scrat...

Macro to assign category and move to folder for new emails I send
Hi. I always file my "sent" emails as I write them. Since there is no "macro recorder" in Outlook 2007, can you please provide me with a macro that will do this sequence: Options|Save Sent Item (gives drop-down list of folders) Options|More Options|Categories (gives drop-down list of categories)|Close Send I'd like a keyboard shortcut, too, like: Ctl + C,F Thank you. ...