"Messaging interface has returned an unknown error"

I'm running Outlook 02 on Win XP Pro SP2.

I think this may have been caused by the DST time zone update utility, but
I'm not certain. Here's the situation.

If I try to open a calendar item I get the following error:
"Can't open this item. The messaging interface has returned an unknown
error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

If I try to create a new message or appointment from the quick start
toolbar, or clicking a mailto: link on a web page:
"The operation failed."

If I click the "to" "cc" or "bcc" button while writing an email message:
"The messaging interface has returned an unkown error. If the problem
persists, restart Outlook."

Restarting Outlook hasn't helped, nor has running detect and repair.

I opened Outlook in safe mode, and was able to open calendar items. Clicking
a mailto: link on a web page brought up an error about not being able to open
Word as my email editor, but then a standard message window opened, and I was
able to bring up contacts by clicking the to and cc buttons. So everything
seems to be ok in safe mode.

I don't know for sure that it was the time zone update that caused this, but
the errors started coming up around the time I ran it. But there doesn't seem
to be a way to undo that.

Any suggestions? Should I uninstall Outlook and reinstall it?

the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists,
Hi All, I get following error message when I click delete in my out look menu bar: "the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists, restart Outlook." Your response is appreciated. Best regards, RJ ...

Messaging Interface has returned an unknown error
I am getting the following message when clicking on Sent Items in Office 2007: The Messaging Interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists , restart outlook. I have restarted outlook hundreds of times but it is still the same. Email still appears to work OK, it's just the sent items. Has anyone got any ideas. Try resetting you view on the folder; View-> Arrange By-> Custom...-> Reset Current View -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" #3
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error
I just upgraded to Office XP and it give me this message any time I try to add a calendar item: The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. I can also not send or receive email. I have downloaded the service packages, and installed them. Now, I can't even get Outlook to open completely. I see my folders, but it just stalls on opening and doesn't allow me to click on anything. Can anyone help? ...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error" #2
One of my users keeps seeing this popup on an intermittent basis when they try to open an attachment. I've tried what I can find on the web about this with no luck. So I'm looking for more suggestions... The environment is a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Services environment supporting about 20 users. Only one other user has reported this, but he is unable to reproduce it. Is there a way to get Outlook to log more information about why this is happening? -- Hal Berenson, President PredictableIT, LLC I should add Outlook 2003 SP1 with all Office Update patches applied. -...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook"
Hi, I have had a problem with Outlook for the last few days. If I try to reply, forward or start a new message an error pops up saying "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook". I have obviously restarted Outlook many times and restarted the computer repeatedly too. I've run Windows Update and found nothing new that needs to be downloaded and the rest of my computer appears to be working fine. I'm running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium. Any help would be very greatly appreciated...

messaging interface has returned an unknown error #3
When trying to compose a message in Outlook I get this error message. I have updated to be sure that I have the latest patches and have run repair on my .pst files. In conjunction, when trying to receive messages, the error "operation failed" appears. I am able to read messages that were in my inbox, but not able to receive or send new ones. It worked fine yesterday. Clear your Deleted Items folder and try again. Another thing you could try is to reset the Toolbar; all Toolbar customizations will be lost and the Toolbar will reset to what it looked like when you first ins...

q275186 "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
MIcrosoft claims to have a supported fix but I have to pay for support to get help. does anyone have the downloaded fix already? this is only happening on one out of 500 PCs and I resent having to pay for support for a known problem that they have acknowledged. Hi Does any body have a solution to this. I also got the same message when I tried to delete a contact form my contact list. >-----Original Message----- >MIcrosoft claims to have a supported fix but I have to pay >for support to get help. does anyone have the downloaded >fix already? this is only happening on o...

Outlook 2002
Outlook 2002 - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error - I get this every time I try to delete any message, from any folder. The MS site states it's when a PST is approaching 2GB, I have 1.9GB of mail after emptying my deleted items folder - can't delete anything else so can't reduce the size of the .PST, also can't send or receive any mail at all. Any suggestions? Thanks Sev "VFrustrated" <neil.severn@virgin.net> wrote in message news:010201c36c00$7efe9840$a501280a@phx.gbl > Outlook 2002 - The messaging interface has returned an > un...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error #3
Please help me. I am trying to delete email form my outlook inbox. When I click delete, I get following message: "the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. if the problem persists, restart Outlook." Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks RJ ...

Hi, When i do a reply all or print it gives me this error: the messaging interface has returned an unknown error Any suggestions? thanks Have you tried using Detect and Repair from the Help menu? "Tommy" <Tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51829E9E-F3E4-4027-84C1-0E44CB633C08@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > When i do a reply all or print it gives me this error: > > the messaging interface has returned an unknown error > > Any suggestions? > > thanks ...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook"
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

Error Message: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error
Today my outlook 2000 started showing "Error Message: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error" when I try to delete an e-mail. I could not find this on Microsoft support. Does anyone know what causes this. Thanks John ...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error.
When I go to send an email with an attachment on it I get the message "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persist, restart Outlook." Restarting outlook doesn't help this happens every time. Can someone help?? OL2000: Error Message: The Messaging Interface Has Returned an Unknown Error: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299380 -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Ray" <rays@osfphila.org> wrote in message news:08bc01c39fe9$61562de0$a001280a@phx.gbl... When I go to send an email with an attachment on it ...

"The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." occurs when trying to view a shared calendar
I have Outlook 2007 which was upgraded from 2003. My Outlook 2007 runs on a Citrix Terminal Server on Windows 2003 Enterprise Service Pack 1. I access the Terminal Server from a Wyse thin client. My Outlook 2007 uses MAPI to communicate with Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. I have no other account types configured. During the course of the day Outlook decides to flake out and render the error "The Messaging interface has returned an unknown error." This occurs when trying to view any of the 14 other person's calendars I have been granted access too. I am trying to access these...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
When trying to access archived folers I get the error message "the messaging interface has retunred an unknown error". I'm using outlook 2007. IT person is looking into buying software to fix problem, not sure if there is an alternate remedy. Are you archiving from an Exchange mailbox? What is the size of the pst-file you are archiving to? Is this pst-file located on your local hard disk or somewhere else? Also, have you checked your pst-file for errors already with scanpst.exe? See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauth...

KB 275186 "Messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
KB artucle 275186 describes this error I ran into once before and mentions a fix. It does not say how to get this fix. Any help would be appreciated. Yes it does -- reread the "Resolution" section of that article. If the fix was not included in a previously released Service Pack for Office 2000, you will need to call Microsoft Product Support Services and ask for the fix described in this article. A link is provided in the article for you to find the correct number to call. You should not be charged for the call if you don't ask for anything other than the fix listed in t...

Messaging interface has returned an unknown error #2
This error messages occurs when trying to create emails and also calendar events. Does anyone know why? You may want to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for that specific error message...there are lots and lots of different scenarios that may cause that error message to appear, and maybe you'll find an article that fits your particular scenario (Outlook version, OS version, type of e-mail account, etc.). -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:1...

messaging interface has returned an unknown error when accessing the contacts in Outlook 2003
I'm getting the following error when I attempt to create a new email message in Outlook 2003. This happens when I click on the to to open up the address book. The messaging interface has returned an unknown error I'm running the latest updates for Office 2003 and this only happens to one user accessing his MS Exchange contacts. If I have another user create a message and selecting the to for his outlook contacts using Outlook 2003 on the same computer there is no probelms. If I bring up outlook using the outlook /safe I can access the users contacts with no problems. Seems the...

Outlook 2003 error "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook" #2
Hi, I am not able to perform actions like ReplyAll, Updating a task item.. on my outlook 2003, am getting the following error - The messaging interface has returned an unknown error if the problem persists restart outlook. Prior to this installtion i had outlook 2007 beta installed on my machine but I uninstalled it, actually during the uninstall process i had accidentally clicked the cancel button, later on i did the uninstallation from Control Panel. Then i tried installing outlook 2003 though the installation got executed smoothly but am not able to perform the above mentioned actions. Als...

The messaging Interface has returned an unknown error #4
I have just experienced this problem. I am in a Exchange 2003 environment and a couple of users downloaded the Google Desktop. This installation was a direct result of this error. ...

'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook'
Hi - I am running Outlook 2002, SP-2, under Windows XP Home edition, SP-1. I use MS Word as my message editor. For the past few months, I get the following error message in a dialog from Outlook: 'The messaging interface has returned an unknown error-if the problem persists, restart Outlook' This occurs when I either create a new message or note or edit an existing message or note and then leave it open for more than just a minute or two, rather than closing or saving and closing it. I have run the "Detect and Repair" menu option in Outlook several times, but that has n...

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
Hi, When printing another user's calendar, when printing the daily calendar, we get the message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, please restart Outlook". Does not happen if printing the other user's weekly or monthly calendar. This is in Outlook 2003 and has all the latest updates. Any suggestions? ...

The messaging interface has returned an unknown error w/outlook200
I have been using outlook 2003 for more than a year with Bellsouth as my mail. Today I downloaded the new messenger and Outlook Connector so that I can syn hotmail into Outlook. When finished and restarted many times, I still get a error message in Outlook when ever I try to compose, reply, forward, etc. this is what is get "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error". I have tried to reinstall outlook twice and the repair option in the control panle under add/remove programs. How do I fix this without uninstalling all of MS office and reinstalling? ...

Public folder issue, "messaging interface has returned an unknown error"
I'm running a SBS2003 domain and just added a public folder and a customized form for entry into the public folder. All of our clients (all XP Pro, Outlook 2003 with all updates) can get to that folder and use the form without any difficulty except for one. On one computer I get the classic "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." error message. I have tried a repair install, no change. I have tried making a new profile, no change. I have tried adding / removing his PST file (currently he's not even using a pst file...