"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts

Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once.

Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for
remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files.

Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal
ghosts.
They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no
names and no properties that I can see.
When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one
of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened."
(along with other messages such as "unable to expand", etc). When I try to
close one, it says "You cannot close the mailbox that contains your
calendar, contacts, and inbox" (which it doesn't). The "properties" menu
selection is grayed out for these folders. The only clue I have is that when
I try to close any of them, I see the name "<0w#25>" as the folder name (for
all three folders).

How o I get rid of these?

We're seeing a lot of problems with ghosts on profiles carried over from an
upgrade. The best thing is to make a new profile - or you can try editing
the registry to remove them, but if you make a mistake, you need a new
profile anyway. :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Frank Rowe" <frank.nospam.rowe@robins.nospam.af.mil> wrote in message
> Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once.
>
> Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for
> remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files.
>
> Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't
> normal
> ghosts.
> They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no
> names and no properties that I can see.
> When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with
> one
> of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened."
> (along with other messages such as "unable to expand", etc). When I try to
> close one, it says "You cannot close the mailbox that contains your
> calendar, contacts, and inbox" (which it doesn't). The "properties" menu
> selection is grayed out for these folders. The only clue I have is that
> when
> I try to close any of them, I see the name "<0w#25>" as the folder name
> (for
> all three folders).
>
> How o I get rid of these?

0
dianenws (1904)

Ghosts?
Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? It jumps up and down, but I see it with WinMail in 7. xp.basics is even worse. "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7WRhLNALHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Anybody else seeing ~23 ghost messages when access this NG via OE? Yes. 25 at the moment, with hacked WM in Win 7....

Ghosted attachments with Windows 98
How do I change settings to be able to open attachments. The attachments appear to be ghosted. Hit forward, then open or save the attachment and close the message. It's a new security feature to prevent accidental opening of viruses, either by yourself or scripting. you can disable it in tools | options | security, but I think the extra effort to hit forward is safer and well worth the extra click. For more information, see http://www.omegageek.com/OESecurity.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, Visual Quick Start Guide - ...

"Ghost" folders that aren't really ghosts
Upgraded my laptop from Win2K to XP, Office 2K to 2003 - all at once. Previous Outlook install included two profiles - one for online, one for remote. Both profiles use the same 3 PST files. Problem is - in one profile I have three "ghost" folders that aren't normal ghosts. They show up between my primary storage file and my other .PSTs - with no names and no properties that I can see. When I try to open, show properties, delete (in short, do anything) with one of these folders, I get the message "The set of folders cannot be opened." (along with other messages such a...

Ghost typing
Windows XP running on an older Dell PC. Oddly, about the time Windows 7 was released (and corresponding with some Automatic Windows XP Updates) my computer started a frustrating behavior. When trying to type characters in the USER password screen, IE address bar, notepad, Word or any other character input field...I am able to type one or two letters then the machine self types WWWWWWWWWWWW endlessly. The W is disabled on the keyboard. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Natural Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse. I also have a WACOM Intuous 3 graphics tablet that has worked fl...

Ghost brackets
Suddenly, Word is putting brackets around any text that I select--and leaving them. These do not print, but it's confusing to have these nonprinting brackets thrown in--sometimes hard to tell them from real brackets I've inserted. In addition, I often send documents electronically, and then people are facing this doc with these ghost brackets (which look identical to real brackets on the screen). How can I stop Word from doing this? jpmcewan, Seems like you are seeing bookmarks, normally you do not see them unless you go to Tools - Options - View - under view section unc...

Ghost Recipient
I have a user name Jonh Doe in my contact list, and when I type in John in the "To" box two options for John Doe come up, one with the correct address and one wiht the incorrect address. I have searched my contact list for this second conact, but can't find it. Where would Outlook be finding this contact? If you right click it, and select find contact, Outlook can't, but it does give you the option to add it. I thought Outlook only searched designated contact info for address, where is this Ghost coming from? Autoresolve doesn't do lookups to any contacts l...

Ghost accounts won't stay deleted!!!
Hi, I have an MBNA CC, and I've been unsuccesful in connecting to their server. In the process, I have tried twice to delete the account and recreate it. Now each time I try to update my accounts, the deleted accounts come back as "MBNA CC #1" and "MBNA CC #2". Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can resolve it? Thanks, JD JD, I'm also having problems downloading data for my MBNA CC. I am receiving "your last call encountered an error" message. I'm also having problems with Tropical Finacial Credit Union. One night I could...

ghost items
When we setup RMS we used a suppliers disk to import all their items. Recently, I used a query to delete all items that were never sold or recieved, so that I would have a more manageable item list, as there were about 16000 items that we were never going to use. Now I'm running into some instances where an ILC can't be used on a new item because the system says it's already being used. When I try to pull up that item in the Item list nothings there. However, if I create a PO and enter the ILC in quickscan, it will put in an item that has no info at all, no description, or...

Ghost spreadsheet?
Today I am suddenly experiencing a weird problem: I cannot see some of the spreadsheets we have saved both on the desktop and on the server. The files are listed, I can click on them, Excel opens but the spreadsheet does not appear, I only see the light blue background; note that on two fields in the toolbar, right below the Ribbon, I see the cell number in the first and the value on the second; changing the cell number changes also the value on the second field therefore the spreadsheet is there, it is just not visible. I tried to reboot both the desktop and the server but no luck. We...

Ghost font
I use the previous month's newsletter as a template each month. Whenever I open the file, there is a mystery font that is not being used called MS Shell dig. I click okay and ignore it. Is there any way to locate where the font is and remove it? This article can help http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/ui_font.html This may give insight too. http://support.sas.com/techsup/unotes/V6/D/D403.html -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Dandyman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4...

Ghosting Accounts
ex.I have an sbcglobal account and subaccounts.if I set up outlook to retriev username@companyname.net instead of username@sbcglobal.net ican send but not receive.detination show from username@companyname.net if they repliey to it i can get...but if compose and type username@companyname.net it goes to the companyname@sbcglobal.net which is the primary account at internet provider.so how I set up to retreve e mails sent to subaccount? is it outlook settings or internet provider settings? or maybe this will help....I was told to Ghost the account!?!?! Thank you!!! I understand you hav...

Ghosting an Exchange 5.5. server
I have an Exchange 5.5 server that was running out of hard disk space. So I ghosted the drive onto a larger drive. However, the next day I started getting errors with my database, and am now in the throes of getting things back in order. Is there a known issue with ghosting Exchange databases? Should I not have done it that way? Tim I would never trust ghost with something as important as Exchange 5.5. Did you try to run the defrag utilities for Exch 5.5 before you decided to ghost? Running "eseutil /d" on the priv files will defragment the database files. Once, I was able ...

Exchange Ghost Mailbox
Hello, I am the Exchange Administrator of my network. We recently have migrated to Exchange 2003 from another e-mail system. In order to assist some remote users with the migration and with sharing certain folders, I had added their Exchange accounts temporarily to my own Outlook profile. When finished, I removed them. I have done this with nearly 20 or 30 accounts with no problems. I have finished now and there are a couple of Exchange mailboxes that remain in my profile although there is no configuration referring to them. I have tried re-creating my PST and OST files from scratch, b...

Norton ghost not working
Hello: I'm trying to use Norton Ghost 2003 to backup my winxp partition, but when finally I click on the "Proceed to dump partition" I get: "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the Virtual Partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary partition slotsleft on the boot disk." what's the problem and can it be fixed?? (The laptop comes originally with a single partition c: containing vista, at that time I created two new partitions d: and e:, then I installed win xp sp3 on d: and I'm using it, c: still containing vista but it'...

outlook ghost
I'm running office 2000 on win 98. All was fine but now when I switch between folders, another standard toolbar automatically appears. Happens everytime. Any fix or cause? K Hi Try repairing Outlook. Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs. Click on Outlook/Office and click Repair. If not, try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook/Office. It would be worth checking your computer for Adware. Get a free trial of Ad-Aware and scan your system Injexion Try renaming your outcmd.dat file to outcmd.old while Outlook is closed -- it's the file that hold toolbar c...

Parameter button is ghosted
Ok, I'm going to give this another shot. My orginal question was a little vauge so I've rewritten below: 1) I use Data>Import External Date>New Database Query 2) I then brows to an Access data base, select the table and fields I want, complete the wizard and return the data to a sheet in Excel. 3) The data is correct and updates correctly but the parameter button is ghosted. I realize you have to have a cell selected within the data range and and I do. Any ideas? The parameter button will become available if the query contains a parameter. To add one: Select a cell...

Ghost messages
Hi, Every time I ask Outlook 2003 to search for new messages, it reports more messages than it actually downloads. In one of the accounts, it reports 2 messages higher (if it reports the download of 3 new messages, actually I find only one. If it reports the download of two messages, there is no new message at all). How can I fix it? SantistaS ...

Ghost in the outbox??
I have been experienceing a situation where Outlook 03 is attempting to send a message and returning the following error (everytime I send/receive) even though there is nothing in the outbox: Task 'Mitch DRS - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' Any new outgoing messages go just fine and the status bar alway shows that Outlook is attempting to send one more message than is in the outbox...

Ghost in the machine?
I have Outlook 2002. My hard drive crashed last week, we trashed it and added a new one. I had to import an old address book into Outlook express on our computer, and then import from there to Outlook 2002. the problem is I have a group contact list I send to, and there seems to be a ghost in the machine..we cannot find this email address anywhere on my computer, yet the group continues to try to send to this now-defunct email address. Is there a way to search out email addresses and delte them? The normal select recipients/add/delete obviously won't work because we cannot locate...

Ghost folders
I had two problems while importing my Outlook Express data to Outlook 2003... The first import failed and killed Outlook when the pst file size got to more than 2gb... so I created a new Personal Folders file of the new 2003 Unicode type, pointed my Outlook accounts to use it, then redid the import. 1) During the import, in a number of my imported folders, I got hundreds of "undeliverable in the subject line" messages that never existed in my old Express folders. ANy idea why this would happen? 2) I not have everything working fine with my main Unicode Personal Folders file... b...

Ghost Folder
Hi, I have a puzzler here and I wonder if anyone out there has had this one happen. It's with our e-mail program, Outlook 2002, and I have just noticed a duplicate folder pop up under weird circumstances. Here it is: A message, or messages, are received, opened, then filed. It is with the filing that there's a peculiarity. There are a number of ways of doing it but the obvious ones are as follows: 1) Right click the item in the INBOX, and up comes a list of folders to which the message can be moved to, and 2) Click a tab on one of the taskbars and up comes a list, allbeit an a...

Ghost Email?
Hey, my outlook express ver 5 is acting insane. I keep getting notification that I have an email, but there is no email there. The New Mail icon shows up in the system tray and tones, and it will even show a new mail number in the inbox tray. There is no email there and it has me baffled. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks again and everybody have a great weekend... Dave Riley, MCP, A+ Hi, David - For one thing, I'd upgrade to IE6SP1 (and OE will be updated as well) to get the latest version. Also n...

Ghost Investments
I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so that Money doesn't keep updating their prices. It tells me I can't do that until I've closed their positions, but they're already gone! There is no account in which these investments still appear in the portfolio manager, and checking the investment transaction histories shows no small rounding errors. Anybody else have this problem? In microsoft.public.money, Amy wrote: >I've been trying to delete some old investments I sold some time ago so that >Money doesn't keep updating th...

"Ghost" files in pictures library
WMP 12 Vista Home Premium I have deleted a number of pictures from my hard drive, but the file names continue to show up in Windows Media Player Pictures Library. How do I get rid of these? What exactly happens when you right-click these pictures, select Delete, choose "Delete from library only" or "Delete from library and my computer" (try both options), and click OK? If you rebuild the library through Tools - Advanced - Restore media library, does that help? Note that rebuilding the library will make you lose all play counts, and possibly ratings too. ...

Ghosting process