"Broken" PST files?

Outlook 2007 / Windows XP / PST formats both Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003

Problem:  I keep getting "Delayed Write Failures" across most of my PST
files.

Environment:

1)  Files are stored on network drive.  (company policy)

2)  All files are 400MB and less

3)  I have 6 PSTs loaded at all times while running Outlook

What I've tried.

1)  Run ScanPST on each PST.  It found errors and was able to repair.
However, it becomes "bad" again a couple of hours later.  Again, I'm able to
run ScanPST and repair the files.

2)  Checked with IT support that I have not exceeded any storage limits on
our network drive.

3)  Created a new folder and moved the PST files.

Are there any other suggestions?

> 1)  Files are stored on network drive.  (company policy)
'Policy' might want to read this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297019

"Victoria@dig" <cervantesdv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2007 / Windows XP / PST formats both Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
>

> Problem:  I keep getting "Delayed Write Failures" across most of my PST
> files.
>

> Environment:
>
> 1)  Files are stored on network drive.  (company policy)
>
> 2)  All files are 400MB and less
>
> 3)  I have 6 PSTs loaded at all times while running Outlook
>

> What I've tried.
>
> 1)  Run ScanPST on each PST.  It found errors and was able to repair.
> However, it becomes "bad" again a couple of hours later.  Again, I'm able
> to run ScanPST and repair the files.
>
> 2)  Checked with IT support that I have not exceeded any storage limits on
> our network drive.
>
> 3)  Created a new folder and moved the PST files.
>

> Are there any other suggestions?

0
notvalid5776 (249)
5/28/2009 7:38:51 PM
Since Outlook requires constant read/write to the PST, storage on network
drives is not recommended or even supported. Not only will you see this type
of issue but the PST's are easily corrupted as well.

It is recommended that you keep the PST files local to Outlook (on the
PC/notebook) and simply copy them up to your network drive as a backup while
Outlook is closed.

"Victoria@dig" <cervantesdv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2007 / Windows XP / PST formats both Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
>

> Problem:  I keep getting "Delayed Write Failures" across most of my PST
> files.
>

> Environment:
>
> 1)  Files are stored on network drive.  (company policy)
>
> 2)  All files are 400MB and less
>
> 3)  I have 6 PSTs loaded at all times while running Outlook
>

> What I've tried.
>
> 1)  Run ScanPST on each PST.  It found errors and was able to repair.
> However, it becomes "bad" again a couple of hours later.  Again, I'm able
> run ScanPST and repair the files.
>
> 2)  Checked with IT support that I have not exceeded any storage limits on
> our network drive.
>
> 3)  Created a new folder and moved the PST files.
>

> Are there any other suggestions?

0
korland (145)
5/28/2009 7:39:18 PM
You will always get the delayed write error when network communications is
interrupted. The proper fix is to keep the pst local - which is the only
supported method. Network access can corrupt the pst and cause loss of data.
If the powers that be insist on requiring you to store the pst on the
network, they will need to insure network access is not interrupted.  (It's
a very poor policy.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

> Outlook 2007 / Windows XP / PST formats both Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
>

> Problem:  I keep getting "Delayed Write Failures" across most of my PST
> files.
>

> Environment:
>
> 1)  Files are stored on network drive.  (company policy)
>
> 2)  All files are 400MB and less
>
> 3)  I have 6 PSTs loaded at all times while running Outlook
>

> What I've tried.
>
> 1)  Run ScanPST on each PST.  It found errors and was able to repair.
> However, it becomes "bad" again a couple of hours later.  Again, I'm able
> to run ScanPST and repair the files.
>
> 2)  Checked with IT support that I have not exceeded any storage limits on
> our network drive.
>
> 3)  Created a new folder and moved the PST files.
>

> Are there any other suggestions?

0
outlookmvp (5838)

Authentication broken....
We have had CRM 3 running for about 1 month now with no problems. One of my colleagues started messing around with CRM Mobile, and since then we have major authentication issues with CRM 3. Some users can log on as normal via either the web client or the Outlook client, while others get a login prompt and their credentials are not accepted at all. IIS is set to integrated for crm, they have user accounts within crm and the restricted access box isn't ticked. Anybody seen this before? ...

Broken links?
I am currently using Microsoft Publisher to maintain a website for a student organization. Ever since I got the file from the previous web admin, I have had issues saving the web page; publisher is constantly freezing when I try to save changes I have made. Publisher will eventually unfreeze itself and correctly save changes to the publisher file itself, but now every time I tell it to publish to web, Publisher freezes at the step where the little window with the file folder transferring files to the globe and whites out. I then have to close and reopen the program, but after checking the s...

Tasks Broken?
Out of the blue for some reason, when I recieve a task, and I click accept nothing happens. I'm not sure why.. i'm running windows 2000 TS and Office outlook version... 2003 (11.8002.6568) SP2 Any thoughts are appreciated. thanks! Yes, task requests are apparently broken if you applied the January = Outlook security update. Stay tuned.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http...

Broken Exchange Information Store
I do support work for a small company, 8 users, on as needed basis. Their system is exchange 5.5, NT-4 service pack 6. On Friday, someone tried to email out a 190 MB video file. Something crashed and the information store no longer starts. No viable back-up exists. I have backed-up the priv.edb and pub.edb and tried using eseutil to repair and defrag. Priv.edb starts at 2.3 GB and defrags to 480 MB; Pub.edb starts at 480 MB and drops to 117MB. Program found errors and reported corrections. Isinteg aborts running any and all tests. I have never had trouble with Exchange before so I...

Broken site
We had a sub site that was working fine (training schedules template from MS). The one day we just got 404 whenever we went there. The site is listed in the collections structure and content and can be seen in stsadm -o enumallwebs but we can't browse to it. After giving up on everything I exported the site to a bak file and deleted the sub site. I confirmed the site was gone. Then I created the site again. Same name and url. After the "creating site" page we are redirected to the new site and get the 404 again! I thought maybe the template was broken so I created...

Fix Broken Cell Formula with VBA
Greetings, I have a cell formula that is damaged each time I run a delete to remove excess rows before a paste & copy. this formula links to a cell that is always deleted. So I am trying to repair this formula at the end of each cycle. Here is the correct formula: =IF(A11="Proximates","Click","") Here is the same formula after the delete: =IF(#REF!="Proximates","Click","") I tried to fix this in the code that does the finale copy & paste with this: Range("B2").Formula = "=IF(A11=...

Broken Loan Series?
My house loan payment some times gets out of sync with the bill payment series. (I think Money occasionally misses the match after downloading my bank statements, and I don't catch it.) When this happens, I need to delete a payment in the Bills & Deposits list, since it shows past due. Occasionally (twice now) when I do this the loan changes from a Category of Loan Payment (tied to my loan) in to a Paycheck! If I edit the bill series, the splits don't add up to the total (they sum the wrong way, so the Unassigned is twice the loan payment). No matter what I do at this pa...

How do I create a broken X axis in Excel?
I would like to create a broken gap in the x axis of xy (scatter) chart in order to reduce the portion of unused data in the chart along the x axis. (Office 2000) Apply this technique to the X axis: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "TSW" <TSW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3A289CF9-2E52-4B0F-A59D-DBA5D8926CB3@microsoft.com... >I would like to create a broken gap in the x axis of xy (scatter) ch...

CompanyWeb Broken
Was working yesterday! but did some updates last night: Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB980195) Installation date: ‎14/‎06/‎2010 19:44 Installation status: Successful Security Update for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB980218) Installation date: ‎14/‎06/‎2010 19:44 Installation status: Successful Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008 x64 Edition (KB982381) Installation date: ‎14/‎06/‎2010 19:43 Installation status: Successful Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, ...

Broken Reports
There are several default reports that are broken. MS admits that the reports are broken and even offers 'fixed' reports through CustomerSource. The best example is the Reports | Sales | Detailed Sales report that incorrectly calculates costs and profits on returned items. The 'fixed' report, 'Detailed Sales with Return Values' is available from CustomerSource. Why not simply replace the default report with one that works? This flaw has been known and acknowledged by MS (by way of the fixed report being available on CustomerSource) since at least v1.2. Fixed ...

Suddenly, to-do list is broken
Good afternoon. Thanks for letting me part of this forum. I am using Outlook 2007. Things have been rolling along very well. Thi morning I closed Outlook while I left for a while. Now that I am back whenever I open Outlook my to-do bar will not display any tasks (no will they show in the task list in the week view of the calendar) Instead, there is a message saying, "The Operation Failed. An objec could not be found." The tasks are still there and I can access the via the tasks tab, but the to-do bar and the calendar are missing th tasks, which is what really made me fall in love w...

Broken CMonthCalCtrl ?
I have multiselect CMontCalCtrl and sometimes I need to select days across month boundary and a calendar page. I do this by calling SetSelRange() and everything works fine until I try to scroll months. When I switch the calendar page to the other month the selection is incorrect. It looks like the calendar doesn't refresh it - the month is different but the selected days stays the same on each page ( the same as on the first page ). Maybe I missed something. I call SetMaxSelCount(180),SetRange( a_few_months ), SetSelRange( a_few_months ) and it doesn't work. Whats wrong with it ? Kami...

Print Preview broken again!
In VC 4.1, the print preview was displayed over the entire window. When VC 5.0 came out, it inexplicably changed the print preview to be just inside the MDI window instead of over the whole frame, and we had to add all kinds of code to our application to fix this bug. (Do a search on codeguru.com and you'll find threads from 1999 talking about this.) We eventually rewrote our application in VC 6.0, and print preview was thankfully back where it belonged, over the whole window. Now, we've moved on to VC 7.1, and print preview has been broken again, it's back in the MDI wi...

Help Broken
Got a machine that installation for Dreamweaver has broken the help system in Microsoft Money 2004. Found the problem is XML files are not associated with Dreamweaver, but setting XML back to IE does not work. Sympton is when you access help, you get the "File Download" dialog box (first it was Dreamweaver, now IE). Can't find another machine that uses XML help to figure out what correct FileType settings are. Uninstall and reinstall of Money did not help. thanks stephen ...

Broken CD
I had my Publisher CD under some papers and managed to break the CD when I put my weight on the papers while I was getting out of my chair. I didn't think it would be a problem until now when I've had to re-format. I have my licensing information still, I just need to order a new CD - Does anyone know how to get a replacement CD? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];326246 -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "lesnod" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E6786DA-FEDF-4492-BA24-D1C3208A181A@microsoft.com... > I had...

OWA 2003 change password / force at next logon is broken
OWA (2003) change password feature works fine, except when the user account is set to change password at next logon. It gives this error Error number: -214702267 I even tried to enter in the domain\username instead of just the username. It then gives this error 214702357 Knowledge base articles and eventid.net have not really helped yet Thanks. Setup OWA to use SSL. >-----Original Message----- >OWA (2003) change password feature works fine, except when the user account is set to change password at next logon. It gives this error Error number: -2147022675 >I even tried to enter in...

Outlook is broken
I can not open outlook 2002 SP3 on a Wxp professional SP1 PC. The problem happened after I installed and later uninstalle Norton Internet Security 2004. Every attempt to open Outlook I am receiving an error message with "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Error Signature: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 10.0.6626.0 ModName: msouplug.dll ModVer: 2004.1.0.147 Offset: 00016d58 I tried to copy of the outlook.pst on a different PC and it look fine. I reinstalled Office, but it does not halp. Need any help. sea...

outlook broken?
When I start outlook it goes through the usual and downloads my mail then freezes. I think it may be associated with my palm software synchonization process. My palm has created multiple copies of reoccuring appointments that I created on my palm pilot and synched to my outlook. I have tried to organize the appointments by category and delete without success. When ever I try to access the calendar in any fashion outlook freezes. I am using outlook 2K and a palm pilot M500. I have downloaded all the latest service packs for office without success also. Any help or advice would ...

Inbox broken?
I'm running Outlook 2002 on Windows 98. Email has worked fine up until Saturday 9/11. Yesterday, I noticed my email not coming into the INBOX... I went online to my email server provider and the emails are there, so the server works. I also have a program on my computer (Vital AgentIT)that shows me that emails are coming across the web from the server. However, the emails aren't going into the Inbox. I get the error: Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004060C) : 'Unknown Error 0x8004060C' The emails aren't being deleted from my mail server (which is hoste...

OWA Broken
Ok, My OWA worked fine, I ran the IIS lockdown tool, and now OWA does not work. IIS is running and so is the default web page. When I type in my servers IP/exchange it asks me for username and password, then just loads page can not be displaed. Any ideas Exchange 2003, windows 2000 Server Thanks IIS Lockdown is your likely culprit. Did you specifically select the OWA template when you ran it? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "James" <fake@email.com> wrote in message news:ed%234Gq$SFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Ok, My OWA worked fine, I ran the II...

Broken Outlook
Customer started having problems authenticating to Exchange. Upgraded to 2003 Outlook same results. User can open mailbox from any other machine, nobody can open Exchange from his. Windows 2000 - removed and reinstalled IP. No spyware. Server is 2000 SBS. When setting up a new profile and check name you immediately get outlook could not log you on and it doesn't even try. Can ping the server by name and no wierd entries in log. Ideas? Is the authentication set to kerberos or ntlm? Try just ntlm to see if it helps. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to th...

OWA Broken (MBSA)
Hello, I'm running Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. I've applied a security recommandation from MBSA about IIS : I've unchecked "Activate parent directory relative path" in default web site properties. Now OWA is broken. A list of directory is displayed to the user in IE. How can I revert to the previous configuration ? TIA. ...

Is RAS broken in VC7 ?
.... or is it something I'm doing ? The code works on VC6, but in RasDialFunc1, when I do AfxGetMainWnd () it returns null and the system locks up. Has something changed ? I changed WINVER and filled in a few exrea fields in RASCONN and it seemed to get round the problem. I always thought that was why you put a the sizeof value in dwSize in these structures so that the object code could work out what version was being used but obviously not. Ian Semmel wrote: > ... or is it something I'm doing ? > > The code works on VC6, but in RasDialFunc1, when I do AfxGetMainWnd ...

Broken Links
I have Outlook 2002 running on Windows 2000 Professional. When I try to click on a link, I get the following error. "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This was working fine jsut the other day. Today I downloaded a critical update for IE 6.0 (prompted by Automatic Windows Update) and now I am getting this error. Can someone offer me any advice on how I can fix this error. Thanks. HI Roy, this could solve your problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310049 -- Ic...

Duplicate Calendar Events X script broken
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I've noticed that I can no longer use the Duplicate Calendar Events X script that comes with Entourage. I don't know if it started when I switched to Entourage 2008 from 2004 or when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, but I think the former. Highlighting the event and running the script does nothing. If i have the event as an open window I get two beeps and the message: &quot;You must open a Calendar Event into its own window from the Calendar, or select an Event in a Customer View, ...