"Ask always before opening this file type" cannot be unchecked

Windows Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007, no Google desktop installed

The following issue: When trying to open or save an attachment (word, excel,
powerpoint), you get a dialogue box asking whether you want to save/open the
file. In the last line, there is a checkbox "Ask always before opening this
file type". This checkbox is gray, and cannot be unchecked (view here:
http://www.poetzsch-consulting.de/test/Nachfrage.jpg). Strange enough, this
issue ocurrs with all attachments, except pdfs. For pdfs, for instance, the
box can be unchecked.

How the box can be made accessable? Any clue?
Thanks

0
blivenow (6)

Try this, save the attachment, navigate to it in Explorer, right click,
select "Open With|Choose Default program".  Is the "Always use..." checkbox
available now?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4

"JP" <blivenow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007, no Google desktop installed
>
> The following issue: When trying to open or save an attachment (word,
excel,
> powerpoint), you get a dialogue box asking whether you want to save/open
the
> file. In the last line, there is a checkbox "Ask always before opening
this
> file type". This checkbox is gray, and cannot be unchecked (view here:
> http://www.poetzsch-consulting.de/test/Nachfrage.jpg). Strange enough,
this
> issue ocurrs with all attachments, except pdfs. For pdfs, for instance,
the
> box can be unchecked.
>
> How the box can be made accessable? Any clue?
> Thanks

0
hhh6225 (363)
12/26/2007 9:06:34 PM
it's a security feature.

Are you using the feature to view in the reading pane? That negates the
problem for most people.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"JP" <blivenow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Windows Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007, no Google desktop installed
>
> The following issue: When trying to open or save an attachment (word,
> excel, powerpoint), you get a dialogue box asking whether you want to
> save/open the file. In the last line, there is a checkbox "Ask always
> before opening this file type". This checkbox is gray, and cannot be
> unchecked (view here:
> http://www.poetzsch-consulting.de/test/Nachfrage.jpg). Strange enough,
> this issue ocurrs with all attachments, except pdfs. For pdfs, for
> instance, the box can be unchecked.
>
> How the box can be made accessable? Any clue?
> Thanks

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/27/2007 4:31:57 AM
I tried it. No luck.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]" <hhh@kvoa.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Try this, save the attachment, navigate to it in Explorer, right click,
> select "Open With|Choose Default program".  Is the "Always use..."
> checkbox
> available now?
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
> KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
> Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

0
blivenow (6)
12/27/2007 8:34:25 AM
I am using the preview-feature. I turned it off to check whether it would
make a difference (after rebooting), but it does not. Sorry.
Does anybody know the respective registry-key which enables/disables the
checkbox?

"Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> it's a security feature.
>
> Are you using the feature to view in the reading pane? That negates the
> problem for most people.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

blivenow (6)
12/27/2007 8:37:36 AM
No, not offhand. Most people don't care since they use preview and only open
them when they need to save them. :)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

> I am using the preview-feature. I turned it off to check whether it would
> make a difference (after rebooting), but it does not. Sorry.
> Does anybody know the respective registry-key which enables/disables the
> checkbox?
>
> "Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> it's a security feature.
>>
>> Are you using the feature to view in the reading pane? That negates the
>> problem for most people.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/27/2007 3:43:38 PM
I need to edit most of the attachments I recieve. Not a big deal though, but
it's kind of annoying to click around all the time...

> No, not offhand. Most people don't care since they use preview and only
> open them when they need to save them. :)
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> "JP" <blivenow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am using the preview-feature. I turned it off to check whether it would
>> make a difference (after rebooting), but it does not. Sorry.
>> Does anybody know the respective registry-key which enables/disables the
>> checkbox?
>>
>> "Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> it's a security feature.
>>>
>>> Are you using the feature to view in the reading pane? That negates the
>>> problem for most people.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>>> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

0
blivenow (6)
12/28/2007 8:40:17 AM
This is what I know so far:

In outlook 2007 , the editflags binary value is the key - this example is
for GIF extension. In outlook 2007 SP1, the EditFlags value does not exist
but creating it with 00 00 01 00 data gets rid of the dialog and opens the
message.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\giffile\EditFlags
binary data of
00 00 00 00 = always ask (on my SP1 the checkbox to never ask is grayed out)
00 00 01 00 = always open, no dialog

Word 2007 DOCX extension is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Word.Document.12

Adobe PDF
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AcroExch.Document

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"JP" <blivenow@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using the preview-feature. I turned it off to check whether it would
> make a difference (after rebooting), but it does not. Sorry.
> Does anybody know the respective registry-key which enables/disables the
> checkbox?
>
> "Diane Poremsky" <outlookmvp@msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> it's a security feature.
>>
>> Are you using the feature to view in the reading pane? That negates the
>> problem for most people.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/

0
outlookmvp (5838)
12/29/2007 8:54:24 PM
Wow! This made my day! I changed the values for Word, Excel and Powerpoint
(".8" for the doc, ppt and xls and ".12" for the Office 2007 files) - and
guess what - it worked!
I will keep this message for further reference and more files types...

Thanks again, this was of great help.
Cheers and Happy New Year
Joerg