Moving to a new computer

I'm trying to move my Outlook 2003 data file (Outlook.PST) to my new computer
using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. However, when I try to open the data file
and point to it in the right location, it seems to keep opening up a new file
that I had already created sort of by accident when I was setting up the
computer.  My question is, I want to open up my old data file on my new
computer, but I don't know how.

The instructions are not complicated.
In Outlook: File > Open > Outlook Data File...
Since you already created an Outlook profile, it created a new, blank PST
file--which of course you don't need and never did. But Microsoft thought
you did and thoughtfully made it your new default PST file. So once you open
the PST file you wanted to use all along, just set it as your default,
restart Outlook, and close the empty PST file Microsoft thought you needed.
--
Russ Valentine
"Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to move my Outlook 2003 data file (Outlook.PST) to my new
> computer
> using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. However, when I try to open the data
> file
> and point to it in the right location, it seems to keep opening up a new
> file
> that I had already created sort of by accident when I was setting up the
> computer.  My question is, I want to open up my old data file on my new
> computer, but I don't know how.

0
Russ
11/30/2009 11:06:43 PM
Outlook is not letting me close the personal folder it created.  When I open
my real file, only the archive file is opened, but not the personal folder.
Any thoughts or ideas?

"Russ Valentine" wrote:

> The instructions are not complicated.
> In Outlook: File > Open > Outlook Data File...
> Since you already created an Outlook profile, it created a new, blank PST
> file--which of course you don't need and never did. But Microsoft thought
> you did and thoughtfully made it your new default PST file. So once you open
> the PST file you wanted to use all along, just set it as your default,
> restart Outlook, and close the empty PST file Microsoft thought you needed.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> "Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to move my Outlook 2003 data file (Outlook.PST) to my new
> > computer
> > using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. However, when I try to open the data
> > file
> > and point to it in the right location, it seems to keep opening up a new
> > file
> > that I had already created sort of by accident when I was setting up the
> > computer.  My question is, I want to open up my old data file on my new
> > computer, but I don't know how.
>
> .

Not without any information. Provide some.
--
> Outlook is not letting me close the personal folder it created.  When I
> open
> my real file, only the archive file is opened, but not the personal
> folder.
> Any thoughts or ideas?
>
> "Russ Valentine" wrote:
>
>> The instructions are not complicated.
>> In Outlook: File > Open > Outlook Data File...
>> Since you already created an Outlook profile, it created a new, blank PST
>> file--which of course you don't need and never did. But Microsoft thought
>> you did and thoughtfully made it your new default PST file. So once you
>> open
>> the PST file you wanted to use all along, just set it as your default,
>> restart Outlook, and close the empty PST file Microsoft thought you
>> needed.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> "Ken W" <KenW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to move my Outlook 2003 data file (Outlook.PST) to my new
>> > computer
>> > using Outlook 2007 with Windows 7. However, when I try to open the data
>> > file
>> > and point to it in the right location, it seems to keep opening up a
>> > new
>> > file
>> > that I had already created sort of by accident when I was setting up
>> > the
>> > computer.  My question is, I want to open up my old data file on my new
>> > computer, but I don't know how.
>>
>> .

0
Russ
12/1/2009 3:27:30 AM
When I open the file I want, it retains the current folders from the new
file.  It only opens the archive from the new file.  I'm assisting a
coworker, this is not my computer.  I guess I'm not sure how Outlook works.
Question: is the archive file and current folders stored in the same PST file
or are they separate?  Possibly, I only have the archive file, and I'm
opening that on the new computer.  Just a thought.

> When I open the file I want, it retains the current folders from the new
> file.  It only opens the archive from the new file.  I'm assisting a
> coworker, this is not my computer.  I guess I'm not sure how Outlook works.
> Question: is the archive file and current folders stored in the same PST
> file
> or are they separate?  Possibly, I only have the archive file, and I'm
> opening that on the new computer.  Just a thought.

Archive PSTs are separate from the active PST.  Usually, archive PSTs are
named "Archive.PST", but it's not a requirement.  I think you did copy only
the archive PST from the old PC.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Moving license to a new computer

reference a cell AND its format in a new cell
Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was applied to A1. Thanks in advance for the help. Formulas don't do this kind of thing. You could copy|Paste???? TiChNi wrote: > > Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any > formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in > red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want ...

Safe to Move?

New Tabbed Documents feature
I have loaded Office Prof 2007 Plus and am using Access. there is a new feature, "Tabbed Documents". I do not see them, when I open several Tables, Queries, etc, they are just one on top of another. You can Cascade them, but there are NO tabs along the top. I have called MS and even tried the website. Could I be missing an update?, but I would have though the package should have this feature already installed. Otherwise the package is working fine. Any help would be appreciated. The tabbed documents applies to forms only. You can have overlapping windows like the...

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Creating a new worksheet from a template
I would like to press a button on one worksheet and create a ne worksheet that conforms to a template. However: 1) this is for a series of people who do not work centrally and who ar not technical i.e. the solution needs to be self-contained within m workbook and not involve the creation of xlst templates that have t sit in a certain place on the hard drive. 2) These worksheets will have a series of fields that relate t 'activities'. The user can chose to spawn worksheets for one or mor activities. I would like a summary sheet to add all the activit information from as many activit...

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

Setting up a new user
I'm experimenting with Exchange server 2003 in a lab environment. I've got one user set up and able to access his mailbox. I then created a second user on the server. When I try to connect to his mailbox from a client PC, Outlook tells me: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file". What the heck does that mean? How do I do what it is asking? The client PC is running XP Pro, and I did restart it and log on to the...

most of the programs on my computer won't boot. Help please.
I rebooted my computer this afternoon, and it reboots enough to show my online connection, but nothing else on my boot screen. When I click on any program or shortcut I get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You many not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The only way I can access my browser is by going to the control panel and clicking on windows update. I noticed in one of my attempts to get everything to boot, that the date was saying 4/4/2010, but I went in boot with c prompt (or whatever it's called) and did ...

Excel 2k3: Workbook on network drive, when save creates new file
When we open up a shared workbook and enter data into it. Everything works fine but once you save it the original still contains the information but in the folder on the network drive that the original is located a new file is created. This new file is the same size as the original document. It didn't start doing this until it was moved from our old 2000 Server to our new 2k3 server. Can anyone help? Does that newly created workbook have a name of 8 characters (with no extension)? If yes... When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characte...

Moving Folder error

Rule to notify me of new mail
Hi guys - i am looking to set up a rule n outlook 2003 which will send notification of new mail to a specified e-mail address, but importantly i cannot forward the original message - it's an office setup and we're not allowed to fwd 'confidential' messages over the web. Also i cannot install any 'tool' as i have seen on the web - are there any other options??? help please alastairharding@hotmail.com wrote in news:1105528667.656658.91690 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > Hi guys - i am looking to set up a rule n outlook 2003 which will send > notification of ne...

Moving between worksheets

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

New Window Causes Hidden Gridlines to Reappear
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have built a excel workbook tool that does a mathematical analysis of a users data that they enter into one of the tabs. Once the data is entered the other tabs in the workbook show the users tables and charts of what their data looks like. In order to display these tables and charts the best, the tool has all Headings and Gridlines turned off and then all the tabs are protected to prevent inadvertent changes to these result tabs. One of the features of this tool is that you can display both the input tab at the sa...