Where is the .ost file ? Outlook 2003

I want to use the inbox repair tool. I did find the scanost and scanpst
files in the "1033" folder on my HDD.

I wanted to use the scanpst file to scan .ost as you can scan either file,
but when I searched for the location --- ending in microsoft\outlook ----
there wa no .ost file.

I also scanned my HDD for .ost could not find that extension. And I do run
in cached mode. I did use the scanost, but also wanted to use the scanpst
tool drill to the location of the .ost file, change the file extension and
run.

Thanks,
Bob

Did you check this directory?

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook

That is where I see my .ost file. <username> is your login name by the way.

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I want to use the inbox repair tool. I did find the scanost and scanpst
> files in the "1033" folder on my HDD.
>
> I wanted to use the scanpst file to scan .ost as you can scan either file,
> but when I searched for the location --- ending in microsoft\outlook ----
> there wa no .ost file.

Are you using an Exchange account and are you running Outlook in Cached
Exchange mode?  Are you using Outlook with the Outlook Connector and using a
Hotmail or Live account?  If so, you'll have an OST.  Otherwise, you won't.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Outlook 2007 and RSS feed deletion
The news reader in Outlook is fantistic! So are many other new features in Outlook. I would like a more convenient way to delete my viewed RSS headers. If I could click an icon to delete all headers or set it to delete all headers after viewed it would so much easier than clicking Edit, Select All and Delete. -- Sam ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the sugge...

Opening Files...
Hi, I'm getting the "Publisher cannot open file from a different version" message when using Publisher 2000. I thought all the files were originally created in Pub 2000 but I guess I was wrong. I've tried installing a copy of Publisher 97 but the same message appears. Is there anyway I can tell from the .pub file what version it was created in?? I also seen this problem reported with Norton Anti Virus, though I have Norton Anti Virus Corporate edition 7.6, which doesn't seem to be affected with this issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick Your virus pr...

Outlook as News Reader
On one machine (XP Pro) just changed over from OE I am having really weird behavior. On two occasions, I have set Outlook up as the default news reader. Both times the setting has disappeared and I've lost the ability to add it back (the "News" button is not available as a choice to add). I really don't have any idea what I did to get the option to appear the first time that I added it back, other than trying the "add process" numerous times. I have used the repair option from the pull down menu to no avail (I don't remember the exact nomenclature, as I am u...

Remove music files from disk, but want to remain in library & devi
Running WMP11 on an XP box with small hard drive. Got a Sony Walkman - been ripping in lossless format and downloading same to device. I want to remove the rather big set of WMA files (from my box) after loading to Walkman to conserve disk space. But, I want to keep albums visible in WMP library and not have songs removed from the Walkman. Don't want to invest in bigger, or external, hard drive as I'm getting a new PC soon. How do I "fool", or configure, WMP so it doesn't remove corresponding files from my walkman after I delete same on hard drive (whic...

Format of pst and ost
Hi experts Where can i found the information about Outlook's pst and ost file. Like its format, its features etc. Thanks The format of how data is stored in the file is undocumented. The programmatic access available is detailed in the VB/VBA help files for the Outlook object model. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "manoj" <cmanoj@stellarinfo.com> wrote in message news:uCItbDxcEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > H...

message
I cannot now open an EXCEL file I created some while ago. Instead I get a message saying file format is invalid. File name is less than 219 characters. I can see what is in the file using Quick View. How can I restore access to file using EXCEL? Maybe try Inserting it into a blank Excel sheet.........or try opening it in Excel XP, or even MS Word........ Does it for sure have an .xls extention......maybe someone opened it in another program and saved it as some thing else...... hth Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "robert potts" <annebob@sr82nf.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in me...

pst and ost
pls post the information about .pst and .ost files of outlook What do you want to know about them? PST = personal folders file. Generally used by Internet Mail users, not Exchange. OST = an offline replica of an Exchange mailbox. Linked permenantly to the mailbox/profile for which it was created - cannot be opened independently. ramakrishna wrote: > pls post the information about .pst and .ost files of > outlook ..pst files are Personal Folders that you can store all your mail files. Its also the location of your inbox and what nots and is stored on your local harddrive. The .os...

Rename files based on a value in a Field?
The following is a request from a friend. If these were Excel files, with an asset number in a cell, I could write a macro to accomplish his goal. Since they're Word files, I'm clueless...your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! "I have an old database application that stored files as Word documents. Each file has the same layout, with an asset number in the same field. I was able to pull the Word files off to a share and now I want to change the file name to the asset number without having to open each file, looking at the number, and then changing it. Does an...

Outlook Outbox 01-30-10
I tried to send an email and when it didn't leave the outbox, I deleted it. But, the email will not move out of the outbox area. I have tried to delete it over and over again with no success. Any suggestions? ( I am using Outlook 2010 beta ). Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Try posting to an Office 2010 group: Office 2010 forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Darrell Gow" <d...

Outlook removal and reinstalling
I posted the message below earlier today 15.09 and so far no replies, as a last resort I will have to delete outlook and reistall it, can anyone explain how I can do this as I cannot see it listed in my add/remove programs in the control panel, also I have mails in the index and sent folders that I would like to save but I do not know how. Thanks in advance John I am using Outlook 2000 SP 3 9.0.0.6627 and have been using a free version of Cloudmark spamnet for a while, I have been asked to subscribe but have not done so. Today whilst downloading my e mail, the computer made a noise l...

Opening Files*
When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find it etc. How do I set up so files automatically open in the program they were saved on? Thank If you save all your excel files in a particular folder you set the default through Tools > Options then under the general tab. Type the path to the folder that you wish and when you select open excel will open tht folder. Is this what you meant? regards Murray >-----Original Message----- >When I open an Excel file only the blank Excel screen comes up. Then I have to go to open and find i...

Large OST file . .
I'm in an Exchange Server environment, using an Outlook 2000 client, with a very large OST file - 1.4 MB - I save everything - all sent emails, all received emails - I guess I could turn Archive on, but then I wouldn't be able to search EVERYTHING at the same time - any suggestions as to anything I could do to optimize my environment - Outlook loads very slow after an abnormal termination, searches are slow, etc. Thanks On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:50:04 -1000, Texas Yankee <No-email_address@nowhere.com> wrote: > I'm in an Exchange Server environment, using an Outlook 200...

OST file issue
Friends, I got a very urgent issue. So any help is appreciated! If the old Offline storage file (OST) was renamed and new one created, can I re-attach the old OST file to outlook renaming it back to outlook.ost? User has made a lot of changes in offline mode and needs to those changes to be synchronized. Will I be able to rename the new OST file from outlook.ost to something else and put the old OST in its place, then load outlook in offline mode and then synchronize it? I'd really appreciate your help! thanks, FARHAD. ...

How to extend an if statement between 2 different Files
I have 2 files with model numbers and one file has UPC numbers tied to certain model numbers is there a way to write an if statement to extend between boh and automatically paste the UPC number tied to the model number in the other sspreadsheet file? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Nick, You can use VLOOKUP across multiple workbooks. This would reside in Book1 =VLOOKUP(1,[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$3,2,FALSE) where 1 is the key values in A1:B3, B being the UPC in your case. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from...

Publisher cuts off text from word file that I am pasting into tex.
What does "Type your message here" mean to you? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm Let me guess the question... You paste Word text into a Publisher text box and it doesn't fit. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "DeborahKB" <DeborahKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F29CD723-545B-4A7C-8ACA-DD5092DCE101@microsoft.com... > Ooooooooh, Mary...

Exporting to a text file
How to export an Access query to a text file without the column heading? The query consists of single column and is used to import to an accounting system. Thanks. Cannot be done with the built-in TransferText action / method. You'd need to open a text file via VBA code and write the query's records (one at a time) into that file. If interested, post back and I'll provide some sample code. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Paul" <paul_mak@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:O$MxJCPlHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > How to export an Access quer...

default setting of zoom slider in Outlook 2010
Love the new Outlook, but for some reason my default reading pane zoom slider setting is now at 170%. While I can change back to 100% to read message, each new message reverts back to 170%. Where can I change that globally? Thanks. JIM in Fla I would LOVE to figure this one out too! It's either 170% or 210 %, and I set it and it keeps resetting! Found the solution: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/office2010/thread/f8e2b566-593a-4ebf-833a-f7ae95d48bd9. You have to start a new mail message and changed the zoom in it to whatever zoom level you want to be the default (1...

outlook error: entry point ont found
hello i am having problems with outlook ( im running xp pro ) when i try to run outlook i get this error message: Microsoft outlook. outlook EXE entry point not found. the procedure entry point getiUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library. ive uninstalled /installed again ,but to no avail. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou very much . Regards georgie ...

Outlook Web Access #2
I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 and Outlook Web Access installed on the Member Windows NT 4.0 Server. If the regular domain user logs in to Outlook Web Access he can see a list of mail messages but when he opens any of them they look like empty, but actually they are not. If user the member of Administrators Group logs in to the Outlook Web Access he is fine. What should I change? ...

Help! Outlook 2002 Stopped Receiving Email
I have Windows XP Pro SP2, Outlook 2002 SP3, andf MSN/Qwest Email (Hotmail). Am in the process of moving everything to my laptop so that I can put desktop in the shop. Yesterday I activated Outlook 2002 on my laptop as my primary email software. Everything downloaded and syncronized perfectly, including calendar, contacts, etc. Today I noticed that I have not received email updates since 1:30 PM yesterday. I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything that precludes the updating on the laptop. The desktop is still current on updates. Can anyone please help? So mail is down...

Excel files reporting read only
I have an issue where a user I provide support for is being told that a file that has not been opened for a couple of months is reporting as being locked for editing by the last user to save the file (in some cases these users no longer exist on our network). When you check the open files on the server, these files are not showing as open. If teh user clicks to close, and then immediatley re-opens the file it opens as normal. There are no temporary files in the folder that the files are located in and I have cleared the temp folders on the client and on the server. The user has full control...

'the operation failed' error window in outlook 2003?
Every time when I open Outlook I get an error message 'the operation failed' that goes away after a second but the progam does not open either. I have to click on the icon a second time and the program opens right away. I have all the latest updates including servicepack 2 Does anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Heidi <Heidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Every time when I open Outlook I get an error message 'the operation > failed' that goes away after a second but the progam does not open > either. I have to click on the i...

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

A code to import other xls data into one xls file
Hi there. Can anyone help me in creating a VB code in excel Module that imports data like file name;direct cost; and year from several xls spreadsheets [reports_1, reports_2, ...] (from different sheets and cells) into one spreadsheet [summary] into the following columns accordingly: (column 1 [file name]: file name; column 2 [direct cost]: dollar amounts, column 3 [year]: year)? i already have the code that pulls file names from the folder directory and pastes the data into column 1 [file name]. may be it will be easier to have the code refer to that column 1. Please note that t...

Installation files
I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Kirill wrote: >I bought Money 2006 Deluxe earlier this year after downloading the trial >version online. Yesterday my computer crashed and I had to reinstall Windows. >Is there any way I can get the files necessary to reinstall Money? Thanks. You can download and install the Money 2006 trial version. When Money uses a file with ...