Unicode does not always work in outlook 2007?

Using outlook 2007, when I receive an email with a chinese subject line, it
displays the chinese as jibberish in the subject column in the inbox view.
However when I open the message then it displays the chinese correctly on
the subject line.

In the contacts list, when I try to create a new contact with chinese name
by copy and paste, the name displays as ????. But if I paste the same name
into the notes section, then it displays the chinese correctly.

Is this a bug or is it by design? Does it work better in office 2010?

0
james

Vista, Outlook 2007, Only Opens in Safe Mode
1. Vista laptop 2. Outlook 2007 a. Will not open unless opened in Safe Mode. b. After closing, must kill "extra" process in Task Manager before opening again. 3. Only error in Event Manager is "terminated unexpectedly" or "session ended with a hang" a. Probably due to me killing the process. 4. Same result by clicking directly on the .EXE in C:\Prog...\Outlook.exe 5. Same result running as Administrator 6. All updates applied. PLEASE HELP!!! HeroTheCat wrote: > 1. Vista laptop > 2. Outlook 2007 > a. Will not open unless opened in Saf...

email in outlook 2002
currently i use an email address thru my cable provider. how do i get my own email address which is portable in case i change internet providers? how do i get it to use outlook? Do you want a hotmail or yahoo or other free account or do you want to get your own domain name? Once you have the address, you need to change it in the account properties in outlook or create a new account. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Gui...

Outlook 2003: hyperlinks always open in new window
Clicking on hyperlinks within email messages in Outlook 2003 causes a new browser window to be created every time. I have Explorer preferences set to "reuse windows for launching shortcuts" -- why isn't Outlook honoring that setting, and how can I get it to do so? ...

Which control should I use to display Unicode characters?
Hi, there, I want to show Unicode characters, such as Chinese and Arabic. Which control should I use? Could you please give me a bit of example code? Thanks a lot. Gary You do not need specific control to display Unicode strings. Normally, you would use SetWindowText function to set the control text. If you look in winuser.h file this 'function' #defined as SetWindowTextA or SetWindowTextW (depending on the type of the build). If you want to use Unicode text regardless of build type, specify SetWindowTextW explicitly. Note that you need to have appropriate fonts installed to a...

How do I lock Outlook settings
We got my grandma a computer so she could e-mail her kids and grand kids as well as do basic internet functions. The problem is that every couple weeks when we visit grandma she has changed all of her outlook field settings and now she no longer has "from", "subject" and "recieved" field settings. Our question is how do we lock these setting so she can't accidentally change Outlook settings such as these. Any help anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated. It's not possible to restrict the customization of views. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP A...

OWA stopped working
I had the server setup correctly i think the owa worked i can send and recieve email fine. However i tried changing the name of the OWA so that when someone connects they would not have to connect to http://domainname/exchange I guess in the process i must have messed something up because it no longer works now just 500 page cannot be found. I tried for hours working with the /exchweb/exchange/public/ and all the other folders I finally deleted the exchange folder thinking as long as i copy the path it points to it should be fine. I recreated the folder pointing to the same path w...

Excel 2007: Can it SUMIF( ) using color as a condition ?
Hi, I understand that Excel 2007 can sort by colors. It is a great feature indeed. May I know if =SUMIF( ) could use a color as the condition to sum up color shaded cells or cells with certain font color? Thanks Low If I understood you correctly - you can type' into a Module, a small User Defined Function - such as: -------------------------------------- Function IntColor(Rng As Range) Application.Volatile IntColor = Rng.Interior.ColorIndex End Function add ----------- Assuming your list is in range A1:A10 - in B1 type: =IntColor(A1)+NOW()*0 and copy down to ...

outlook inbox #3
I like all of the outlook features except the email. My computer came with outlook and outlook express and I prefer to use outlook express for email. The problem is when I'm in outlook using my calendar, my mail comes there, even if outlook express is open. is there any way to have all my email go to outlook express? >-----Original Message----- >I like all of the outlook features except the email. My >computer came with outlook and outlook express and I >prefer to use outlook express for email. The problem is >when I'm in outlook using my calendar, my mail...

Entourage always crashing after Mac wakes up
Know whenever I wake my Mac up I need to force quit entourage and open it up again. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks, John -- Are there errors in the Bible? Do Animals go to Heaven? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is the KJV the only translation to be used? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info/ ...

Outlook 2002 (XP)
Hi Having had to reinstall both Win XP and Outlook 2002 I am having a problem with the Outlook default spell-checking dictionary. Although in Tools > Options > Spelling I have selected the "English (UK)" option, whenever I write a new e-mail the spell-check dictionary selected is the "English (US) one. IS there another setting that I need to tweak or is the English (UK) dictionary hiding somewhere and, if so, how do I get it noticed by Outlook? Many Thanks David David Probett davidprobett@pobox.com What is the default language under Control Panel->Regional Settin...

Working with mac addresses
Hello group, Anyone have experience working with mac addresses in Excel 2002 either with VBA or worksheet functions? Here's my problem, I import text and csv files with hundreds of mac addresses in to spreadsheets and run reports on them doing VLOOKUPs and so on. The problem is when a mac starting with 000 and has all numbers in it the first two or three zeros get cut off, ie mac 000123456789 ends up 123456789 after import. Also sometimes Excel will format the mac as scientific notation if the mac ends with zeros, ie mac 000123456700 ends up 1.23E+08. I've tried format...

POP Mail in Outlook 2003
How is POP Mail stored in Outlook 2003? OST file? PST File? and where is it stored by default? You'd only have an OST file if you connected to an Exchange server and set up cached mode to sync to an offline file. If you don't use Exchange, it's in a PST file. CC wrote: > How is POP Mail stored in Outlook 2003? OST file? PST > File? and where is it stored by default? It's stored in a .PST file by default...unless the user is connected to Exchange and the Exchange server is pulling down the POP mail, in which case the messages would be stored in the Exchange mai...

unicode application
hi, Priyanka here, this is a question related to VB. i want to make the VB application unicode based. i am not able to do it right now. if anybody knows please let me know about this. ...

exchange account always receive repeated email message
Hi all. I have a user who always receive a repeated email message for every mail message. My office environment is using exchange 2003 and the user is using his exchange account in outlook 2000. I have verified that there is only 1 exchange account in his outlook profile and there is no mail message rules. THks in advance. Has the user always had this issue ? If you have a look at the message in the message tracking logs on the Microsoft Exchange server, how many copies of the message are sent to them ? Does it happen if they are the only recipient of the email ? Are there any rules set ...

FRx
Hi, I get an error "Invalid path for work drive" in FRx. This is only specific to one user on one machine. Can anyone help me fix it. Thanks, Peter In FRx, go to Admin | Processing Options. Make sure that an Optional Work Drive is specified. For example C:\TEMP or compare this path to another workstation that does work. -- Elisabeth "PeterH" wrote: > Hi, > > I get an error "Invalid path for work drive" in FRx. This is only specific > to one user on one machine. Can anyone help me fix it. > > Thanks, > Peter ...

Outlook 2010: multiple addresses per contact
Previous versions (at least 2007) of Outlook included ALL email addresses for each contact when an email was sent to all the contacts in a given category. But 2010 seems to only send the email to the first email address listed for each contact. Is this a bug? How can I get all the email addresses listed for each contact added? ...

Date Format not working
I have a column of dates that are formatted like: 04/19/2009. BUT I want them formatted as: April, 2009 I cright click and try to format the date but nothing happens? Why? How can I change the format of these dates? I am using Excel 07 You'll have to change them from text to a date. Try Data/ Text to Columns/ and set the import format as MDY. -- David Biddulph "Stross002" <Stross002@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6BF4CE8-122F-47CC-A7B8-53ABA1F680FB@microsoft.com... > I have a column of dates that are formatted like: 04/19...

VERIFY and TRACE, how to implement for debug/release, unicode-aware, no warnings at lvl 4
Hi group and apologize because this isn't a pure MFC-question. I have to finish a raw win32 app written in C++. I really miss the macros TRACE and VERIFY, which I tend to use when writing MFC programs. I googled for "win32 verify macro" and the very first hit is for a codeproject.com project with implementations to be used in a win32 program, however. The project contains a single header file, debug.h, but it doesn't compile without warnings (using warning level 4), doesn't seem to be unicode aware and doesn't compile at all in release mode. I was just wonderin...

Excel 2007 opening book.xls in second window
I was trying to change the default properties foe Excel 2007 and have messed it up. Whenever I open a spreadsheet by clicking on in in Windows Explorer, book.xls also opens up in a separate window. I have two sheets open and I now have to physically close two sheets. When I click on an .xlsx sheet, that should be all that opens. What did I mess up? I looked in XLSTART and it is empty. I am on Vista Business on a Small Business Server 2003 network. Thanks Problem Solved: On a network using Vista, XLSTART folder is located at C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\X...

graphic in signature doesn't always display
I have a graphic image in my signature. It displays fine whey I create an email, but sometimes when I reply, it doesn't display. It seems to depend on the type of email that I'm replying too. Any ideas? -- RFS iBox Technologies Industrial & Security Computer Cabinets www.iboxcabinets.com RFS <rsmith@iboxcabinets.com> wrote: > I have a graphic image in my signature. It displays fine whey I > create an email, but sometimes when I reply, it doesn't display. It > seems to depend on the type of email that I'm replying too. This is a true statement. R...

Outlook continuously retrieves the same messages from the POP3 ser
Hi all, Please could somebody help me with this. I have always used Outlook Express but have now just switched over to Outlook 2003. After I did the initial setup, Outlook imported all of my emails and contacts etc over from OE and then went on to drag all of my emails stored on the POP3 server. I didn't realise that this would happen and ended up spending about an hour and a half deleting all the ones I didn't want on my computer. After doing all of that I closed Outlook but when I opened it up again, to my horror it dragged them all back off the server again!! I actually want...

BCC on Outlook 2007 not working?
Every time I try to send a message with a BCC through Microsoft Outlook, the e-mail goes into the sent folder but I immedately get a respsonse e-mail saying that the was undliverable to the people in BCC (those entered into the To and CC boxes get the e-mail fine). I check with our domain host and ISP and neither have a small limit on how many e-mails we can send at a time (The domain host allows 250 and the ISP allows 200, I'm only trying to send 138). This seems to only be a problem through Outlook. Is there any advice someone can give to help me with this? What does th...

restore from backup wants password- doesn't work
I Have a Microsoft Money backup file (.mbf)which I saved on a disc while I wiped my hard drive. After I reinstalled Microsoft Money 2003 I tried to restore from backup file, and it asked for a password. My remembered password did not work, and neither did any of my other passwords. I had accomplished this before after setting my computer back to the factory condition about 2 years ago, and I don't remember it asking for a password then; in any case I had no problems with it then. It may have been Money 2006 that created this backup file - I think I'd upgraded from 2003 at some p...

Domain Group policy does not work on W7 64 bits
Hi! I have defined logon message via domain group policy (win2008 level domain.) Now i do not need that message any more so I defined that policy as "Not defined". It workéd fine with W7 32 bits( no logon message any more) but not with W7 64 bits. What could be the problem with 64 bit version of W7 and group policy and how to solve it? I am not going to raise domain level as 2008r2 soon. Best Regards, Esa Haajanen Hello Esa, Are the 64bit machines in the same OU, which setting does it show with rsop.msc? Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer:...

Excel is always opening the same file
Hi, No matter what file I try and open, Excel launches and opens the sam .xls file on the computer. This occurs when trying to open an .xls o .xlt file. The Tools > Options default file location is pointing to the M Documents folder which seems correct. Any ideas why this would be happening or how to fix it? Thanks! Chri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check your XLSTART folder. Is the file there? "newengland >" <<newengland.17wo52@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:newengland.17wo52@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi, > > No ...