Troubleshoot Rules Processing

I use 2007 now.  I thought I remembered there was a way to troubleshoot a
rule if it didn't work.  I am using a phrase from the body of the message.  I
am not new to rules as I have a lot of them but running just this one rule
does not move any messages to the desired folder.  Is there a way to step by
step walk through a rule?  Thanks!
--
DrDOS

"DrDOS" <dcal53@comcast.net> wrote in message

>I use 2007 now.  I thought I remembered there was a way to troubleshoot a
> rule if it didn't work.  I am using a phrase from the body of the message.
> am not new to rules as I have a lot of them but running just this one rule
> does not move any messages to the desired folder.  Is there a way to step by
> step walk through a rule?  Thanks!

Unfortunately you can't do that with Outlook.  Does the rule work if you
choose "Run rules now"?  What is the exact text of the rule?  Give an example
(don't make one up artificially, use cut/paste) of a message that you believe
should trigger the rule but doesn't?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Creating a rule ??
Hi all, I'm aware of how to create rules, etc., however having said that I'm stuck with some emails that I've been receiving lately that do not contain "From:" and "Subject:" detail. The email header is as follows (for one example): Return-Path: <EFAKNOZQDY@aussiemail.com.au> Received: from [203.2.192.79] ([139.84.154.46]) by smta09.mail.ozemail.net with SMTP id <20041008022619.MZVP15593.smta09.mail.ozemail.net@[203.2.192.79]>; Fri, 8 Oct 2004 02:26:19 +0000 X-Message-Info: 1KH51YAUamiq334B20fjPOQqzKG107xmkCR149rrcXb...

Outlook out of office rule
I want to use the Outlook out of office thingy. I am running Outlook 2003. We are using an exchnge email server if that matters. I would like to send a message only to people in my company (<some name>@mycomapny.com) How can I do that? Does the rule wizard allow wildcards? Thanks Mike The Out of Office can be configured with any message you wish. It will reply only to internal addresses by default if the Exchange server is set to the default which is to deny replies and forwards to the Internet. Rules wizard is not in play. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all repl...

Windows Live Mail Rule Modifications
When selecting Modify on an existing rule, how can you add more people to look for from the contacts list like in Vista? When I try it brings up a 'send mail to' box containing my contacts, but won't add them to the rule. Any help is appreciated. Without further detail on the type of rule and purpose....when modifying a rule that has existing contacts or names(e.g. From contains, To contains) Click 'contains', Click Contacts, double Click on a name, click OK....the name will be added to the 'contains' items in the rule -- ...winston ms...

Rules #13
I never got a response, so I'm asking again. I am using Outlook 2002 on Xp. I have rules set up; however, they only work when I go to Rules Wizard, and click "run now." What is the problem? TIA, Chris Do you have any Service Packs for Outlook installed? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Chris" <kiihnlNOSPAM@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:ufM6jRFsDHA.1512@TK2MSFTNGP...

Troubleshoot
I am find an error in this statement, and the error shown is "Application defined error or object defined error" ActiveSheet.Range(Chr(r + 64 + 0) & c).Formula = "=index(" & Chr(11 + 64) & "2:" & Chr(11 + 64) & (max_date) & ",match(" & Chr(1 + 64) & r & ",L2:L" & max_row & "))" The above statement basically used to match the data from one column with any column, corresponding to the indexed column. used for matching dates and times Could any one please solve this First, you can use oth...

OOF and rules not working after brick level restore
Hi there, a user deleted some mails out of it´s inbox. No problem, these mails were restored via Backup Exec brick level. All seems to be fine. Now, no rules or the OOF are working anymore. Deleting of the rules and create them new, will not solve the problem. Deleting the hole user mailbox, create them new and restore the mails will not solve the problem. Any idees Greetings Thomas Reason #56932 why to not use Brick-level backups/restores. Exchange (5.5 through 2003) has Deleted Items Retention available to cover accidentally deleted mail items. Brick-level backups are kludgy, t...

Rules wizard / e-mail organization / subject line is blank
I would like to write a rule to permanently delete e-mail messages when the subject line is blank. I use Rules Wizard often & usually successfully, but I've not been able to make this rule. Using the "delete by subject" option, I have entered a blank space, a blank space in quotation marks, just the quotation marks, etc. Anyone know how to write this rule? b ...

Question about creating a specific rule in Outlook 2002?
I'm being bombarded with junk email lately and I've started to create rules to deal with the "problem". I've managed to get the bulk of the problem under control. However, I still have a problem. Some junk email I get have no subject and/or no message body. These types always have no subjec though. I'm trying to create a rule where it will notice the blank subject and move the message to the deleted folder. However, I can't seem to come up with one. Any ideas? Thanks! Chris Smith smithcm@charter.net Give up and just download the free SpamBayes. Works...

New Rule
Hi folks, Perhaps the subject line hints at what I want to do... I'm a professor. At the beginning of every semeser I have my students email me with their contact information. I have them include a course-specific text string in their subject line so I can filter their mail into individual course folders. I have four different sections and about 150 students. I construct distribution lists for each class every semester. What I've done in the past is open each email then cut/paste the relevant information. Is there any way I can automate this rather tedious mess? Obviously sinc...

rules in Outlook 2002
Hello, I'm using Windows Vista Premium (64 Bit). I've also got Outlook 2002 on my computer. I'm now trying to set up a new email Rule. I cannot find the Rule option under the Tools Bar. I had it there a month ago and set us several rules. It's gone. Any idea on how to get this back? Thank you. Aaron Email without Rules wrote: > I'm using Windows Vista Premium (64 Bit). I've also got Outlook 2002 on my > computer. I'm now trying to set up a new email Rule. I cannot find the > Rule option under the Tools Bar. I had it there a...

Troubleshoot
Can someone help me with the following statement: =AVERAGEIFS(BeezidTable[final],BeezidTable[time],">TIME(HOUR(NOW()),MINUTE(NOW()),SECOND(NOW()))") It returns DIV/0, but it should return a proper average. Thanks, Roy Try =AVERAGEIF(Range, ">" & NOW()-INT(NOW()) , Sum Range) "rwtrader" wrote: > Can someone help me with the following statement: > =AVERAGEIFS(BeezidTable[final],BeezidTable[time],">TIME(HOUR(NOW()),MINUTE(NOW()),SECOND(NOW()))") > It returns DIV/0, but it should return a proper average. > Thanks, Roy...

process hangs, any ideas
This may be a little off topic in that its a C++\Windows problem. However this group has always impressed me so I prefer to post here :) I've been tasked with fixing a ODBC using console process that hangs on a particular server but not on my machine. It appears to hang after main returns so it must be some sort of cleanup issue (yes it has an explicit disconnect from the db). Funny thing is I really think its outside our code, maybe in the standard process cleanup or something, where it hangs (seemingly past any of our code). I have noticed one odd difference between how it runs loca...

Rules not working #7
I have a mail profile that I use with one email address that gets a LOT of spam. I have a fair size number of rules (probably 10-15) for categorizing and filtering it, all of them starting wth "Apply this rule after the message arrives". Problem is that most of them only work about half the time. I'll get some messages that were moved to the correct folders, and some similar messages still in the inbox. If I click "Rules Wizard" and the "Run Now" button, selecting all the rules, it moves the ones still in the inbox to the correct folder. How come it didn&#...

help in exchange rules
Hi, I need some help in order to put some rules on exchange level: example: Forward all message having a specific keyword to teh security officer. Any help would be apreciated. you cant. you need 3rd party software. or you can play with writing smtp event synchs in vbscript... but thats not recommended "Zrod" <zrod@aims-co.com> wrote in message news:%23Glr1dU7GHA.4708@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I need some help in order to put some rules on exchange level: > example: Forward all message having a specific keyword to teh security > officer. > Any he...

CreateProcess and Terminating a Process
Hi, I have an application which in turn creates another process and communicates using WM_COPYDATA. To start the process I have called ZeroMemory(&m_sStartupInfo,sizeof(STARTUPINFO)); ZeroMemory(&m_sProcessInfo,sizeof(PROCESS_INFORMATION)); m_sStartupInfo.cb = sizeof( STARTUPINFO); char szExecutableName[260] = {"C:\\XIXCommService.exe"}; char szCommandLine[260] = {0}; if( CreateProcess(szExecutableName, szCommandLine, 0, 0, 0, CREATE_NO_WINDOW|NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS, 0, 0, &m_sStartupInfo, &m_sProcessInfo) ) Now when I want...

Match rules are never fired!!!--Please help--Urgent
Hi, My match rules are not fired (though they should)--can anyone help me please? XML File trail.xml contents: --------------------------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <COURTCASE xmlns:lnv="http://www.lexis-nexis.com/lnv" xmlns:lnvxe="http://www.lexis-nexis.com/lnvxe" xmlns:lnci="http://www.lexis-nexis.com/lnci"> <lnv:CITE><cite4thisdoc>174 S.W.3d 70</cite4thisdoc><cite4thisdoc>2005 Tenn. App. LEXIS 196</cite4thisdoc></lnv:CITE> <lnv:DISSENTS> <lnvxe:dis...

Importing Rules
Does anyone know how to import rules from a PST file into a new PST file? Outlook 2003, XP. Export them first from the old pst. Tools-> Rules and Alerts-> button Options-> button Export... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Howard Kroymann" <hkroymann@1stsales.com> wrote in message news:6d1a01c4942a$52a9e620$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to import rules from a PST file into > a new PST file? Outlook 2003...

[OL2003] Rule to create folder and move based on email ?
Is it possible to create a rule that would move incoming email to a subfolder having email address as name, and if no such folder exist, create first the folder ? abc@com.net --> Create subfolder ABC@COM.NET and move email in it 123@net.dot --> Create subfolder 123@net.dot and move email in it abc@com.net --> Move email in subfolder abc@com.net abc@com.net --> Move email in subfolder abc@com.net etc. ...

Deleting Rules
Hi all, I have created some rules in exchange server using extended MAPI. Now, I want to delete all rules in a user account programmatically. Is it possible to delete rules with MAPI ? Any help will be appreciated.. ...

notification about processes that have started.
notification about processes that have started. I have a process and a service running on my system (both written by myself). I need the service to get notified about the process every time it starts up and shuts down. I can manage the shut down with the call WaitForSingleObject, however I was wondering is there a similiar mechanism that allows me to wait until the process has successfully started, or signals me when processes have started. I have looked at IPC mechanisms (pipes sockets etc), however my service presently would not be easily re-engineered to. Any ideas would be appreciated. R...

Reports -- "Update in Process"
When I select the Reports menu button, in Money 2006, I get a a screen saying Update in Process, you will be asked to restart Money to access this feature after update is complete. The bar graph remains stuck at 1%, although I have a good connection, and get windows updates etc. both at home and work, but the problem still persists. I get the same thing (I think). It says "Upgrade In Progress" and says that I will be niotified. There have been times, however, when I get in that the bar graph is up to 85% or even as high as 100%. If I go to some other area of Money and then...

Outlook Rules Wizards
I am using a lists of rules for do some auto message depositing into public folders. How do i overcome the 32KB rules file size issue here? does outlook 2003 offers greater rules file size? or any tricks I can learn here? Please enlighten. Thanks MWGP "MWGP" <gpwong@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23RPUbZB0FHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I am using a lists of rules for do some auto message depositing into public >folders. How do i overcome the 32KB rules file size issue here? does >outlook 2003 offers greater rules file size? or any tricks I can learn ...

Validation rule involving another control
I want to write a validation rule ensuring that the number in Field2 is greater than the number in Field1. The problem is, both can be null. How do I write the rule so that Field1 can be null? Simply writing ">[Field1] Or Is Null" doesn't seem to be working. Thanks, Joel Joel You didn't mention where you are trying to do this, so I'll assume from the 'group you posted in that it is in a control's properties (you use "controls" on a form to hold the values of "fields" on a table). Validation between controls/fields requires checking va...

Bring window from elevated process to front in Vista
Hi, I'm writing a task switching application and am having difficulty in giving a window belonging to an elevated process the focus. The code I usually use: WINDOWPLACEMENT lpwndpl; lpwndpl.length = sizeof(WINDOWPLACEMENT); ::GetWindowPlacement( hwndAppWindow, &lpwndpl); ::BringWindowToTop (hwndAppWindow); if (lpwndpl.showCmd == SW_SHOWMINIMIZED) { ::ShowWindow (hwndAppWindow, SW_RESTORE); } ::SetFocus (hwndAppWindow); is returning "Access is denied" for BringWindowToTop, ShowWindow and SetFocus. (hwndAppWindow is returned by FindWindow) I've tried calling Allo...

Payment Processing Info SP3
I have installed the SP3 for RMS and am wanting to update my Sig. Capt. Hardware. Is the I6550 the only compatible hardware? I read that this will not be PCI compliant after 2010. What are my choices? Is there any documentation available to explain what enhancements have been made with SP3. What payment hardware is preferred by RMS? ...