Switching OL Profiles

I seem to be unable to switch between my two profiles in OL 2003 without
substantial trouble.  For a while I was able to do so by closing OL in one
profile and restareting it ans selecting the other profile.  For the past
many months I have had to open the Windows Task Manager after closing OL and
stopping Outlook.exe and then restarting OL and selecting the other profile.
M<Ore recently, however, even that step almost always fails.  I am pretty
much down to rebooting the darned computer in order to change profiles.  And
you know how long that can take.  What am I doing wrong or what do I need to
fix?

0
Joe

"Joe McGuire" <mcguirejw@comcast.net> wrote in message

>I seem to be unable to switch between my two profiles in OL 2003 without
>substantial trouble.  For a while I was able to do so by closing OL in one
>profile and restareting it ans selecting the other profile.  For the past
>many months I have had to open the Windows Task Manager after closing OL and
>stopping Outlook.exe and then restarting OL and selecting the other profile.
>M<Ore recently, however, even that step almost always fails.  I am pretty
>much down to rebooting the darned computer in order to change profiles.  And
>you know how long that can take.  What am I doing wrong or what do I need to
>fix?

See if something here helps:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntclose.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

OL 2002: Won't save passwords
I converted from OL Express 6 to OL 2002. I only use it for POP3 email. Outlook will simply not retain passwords at all. Not on the old accounts, not after prompting, not creating new accounts, etc. This all happened at the same time I applied some Windows XP Pro updates as well. Now IE 6 won't save apsswords either. Don't know if they're related. I've searched the KB and reviewed dozens of potentially related articles, but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Heman ...

Saving a profile
I have two computers that i need to reformat. I would like to be able to save all of the folders that have been added by the user as well as the information they contain. I have reformatted in the past and lost some folders, they are not saved on the server only locally. Any help? I am using outlook 2000. Thank Todd If the users are using .PST files (local storage) to store their data, you can back up those files before you reformat. Then, after you reinstall Outlook, they can re-use these .PST files and all data should be preserved just as it was before the reformat. (Don't import from...

OL2003 & OL Connector Problems
Anyone happen to have MSN, ActiveSync 3.7.1, Outlook XP, and Connector AND <haha> have a sync'ing problem? I get all sorts of errors that seem to stem from the Contacts group. This error: "MS Office Outlook Connector for MSN has encountered an error. Please restart Outlook. If this issue continues, please contact support (http://g.msn.com/0CR1033/6)." Whatever that address means, I have no clue. There are other errors, all seem to have something to do with how Connector is compatible with what ActiveSync is trying to send over. Apparently, certain repeating ...

Roaming profiles
Hi, A client of mine is getting assistance from another consultancy for the installation of CRM (i just do their infrastructure). CRM 1.2 never went ahead due to a number of things, but from the technical point of view the issues were 1) users having to be an administrator on the box 2) roaming profiles would not work with the outlook client With CRM 3.0, the client was hoping some of these issues would be resolved, however the client still appears to need local admin and i cant seem to find much about CRM 3 and roaming profiles (which would tend to indicate that they're still not pl...

Re: OL 2007 Stationary
I played around with this further. You can still use any HTML editor to = create stationery and place it in the user's Stationery folder. You can = also use FrontPage 2003 to create new themes with background images. = Details at = http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!230.e= ntry --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx ...

restore .ost file created in different exchange profile
Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from an .ost file created by a different user in a different domain name, please? OST files are linked to the mailbox/profile for which they were created. If you've got an orphaned one, you can't open it - you will need to google OST2PST (an old utility that may still be floating around) and try to run it against the file (make a backup copy first). Or see www.exchangerecovery.com - I know it works, but it's $$$. hughie wrote: > Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from > an .ost file created by a di...

My Windows XP Pro "Outlook Contacts" (2003 version) (*.PST File) from home PC are loaded on a Flash Drive. Can't figure out how & where to load in my new Laptop with Vista and MS 2007 Office Small Business (w/ Outlook)?? I'm a total rookie at this tech stuff with "no" experience. Please give "detailed" steps. Appreciate your help. Semper Fi -- CFL Joe You need to copy the PST from your flash drive to your laptop. I haven't used Vista, but on older operating systems, you would save the file under your profile (Documents & Settings),...

signatures for different profiles
how can you prevent the signature from another profile on the same computer from showing up on composed messages? its seems that the signatures are linked with the different profiles and that their settings affect one another. greg <gfujioka@radissonwaikiki.com> wrote: > how can you prevent the signature from another profile on > the same computer from showing up on composed messages? > its seems that the signatures are linked with the > different profiles and that their settings affect one > another. My understanding is that signatures are not mail profile-specifi...

New profile or new account?
I am helping a friend set up her Outlook 2007 (she used to use Outlook Express). I'm kind of in the dark because I don't use Outlook myself. In OE, she would switch identities, using her main identity setup with her own personal e-mail from her own host service, but she also received e-mail from two different addresses from a different host for a volunteer group she is in. Do I set up a new profile for her (under control panel), or a new account? And does she have to close Outlook each time before she switches to the new account/profile to check/send mail? I'm sorry I&#...

OutLook 98
I have a computer running Outlook 98. It has about 12 Profile Names to choose from at start up. Is there a way to copy the profile list and information for each to other computers so I don't have to recreate each again on 15 computers? I know - strange setup. But it is for a bunch of lawyers. Thank you. ...

automatic switching between printers
I would like to see Microsoft add a feature to its operating systems that would automatically detect what printer is connected to my computer and make that printer the default printer. I use my laptop at the office and at home but have a different model of printer at the office than the one I use at home. It is frustrating having to remember to switch default printers from place to place. I realize that some people may plug in more than one printer at a time. In that instance, a dialog box could automatically pop up when a different printer is added, asking which printer to set as a...

Select Members in a DL in OL 2000.
Hi, I am new to OL 2000 and DL. I am using OL 2000 with XP SP2. I have a couple of questions: 1. I have created several DLs and each one of them consists of 50. However my mail server is not big enough to send all 50 in one email. Is there a way I can select only 15 of the 50 in the DL to send out? If so, how please. 2. Is there a way I can create another DL from an existing DL (in reference to the # 1) as I need to reduce the number of members from 50 to 15. Or do I have to manually create another DL? 3. I have accidentally deleted some members from a certain DL. I did backup my .pst ...

Switch To... while calling COM Server
Hi, everybody I'm calling some third party COM Server function from my MFC application. This functions brings up some third party dialog. During this dialog display after 5-6 seconds the dialog "Switch To... The action cannot be completed....Server is busy.." appears. After I close this third party dialog, I have to click "Switch To..." and the rest is fine. Is it possible to figure which other processes are trying to reach this COM Server? How to avoid the appearance of this "Switch To..." dialog? Thank you, Alex "Alex" <alsim123@hotmail.c...

Autocomplete for Distribution List in OL 2007
This used to work, I just did a reload from a failed hard drive. I have created a new DL that I am using a lot, but autocomplete won't show . So, each time I have select To: and go into contact and select the DL. Autocomplete is active and it does show names, but not the DL. Any ideas Are contacts sent to after you use the DL remembered in the nickname cache? BTW - you don't need to click To and look for the DL - just type the name and outlook will resolve it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange...

Server-Side Playlist
I am using WMP SDK in an MFC application to stream video from a server-side playlist looping on two clips (url: mms://server/PublishingPoint1). I can read the 1st clip just fine and when it switch to the 2nd clip and I start to read again, I get error C00D2EE2 on WMT_STARTED from IWMStatusCallback::OnStatus(...). When I try with WMP, it works fine and I can see the two clips looping. How can I fix this issue? How to handle source switching? Here is the Status update sequence I was able to log from IWMStatusCallback::OnStatus(...): WMT_CONNECTING, HR=S_OK WMT_OPENED, HR=...

Multi profile
I have configured outlook 2007 to use multi profiles. When I close the outloop and re-open to select other profile the profiles select list is not prompted. I have set for prompt for profile. But I observed this, after closing outlook still the task manager shows Outlook.exe is runing..when I kill that and re-open I can see the profiles and select particular. Now my question, why Outlook is runnning though its closed. My setting "Hide when minimized" is already OFF. thanks Hi abcd, have a look in the "Task Manager" under "Process" if Outlook.exe is stil...

Switching identities in Microsoft Outlook
We have Microsoft XP and are on a wired home network. We have switched from Outlook Express to Outlook, but are unable to switch identities (having two e-mail accounts). Is there a way of doing this? Are you referring to Microsoft Office XP or Windows XP? We need to know your Outlook version. -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Rita" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a1201c3c0c4$2884ca20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > We ...

How to switch between worksheets without using mouse?
How can you switch between worksheets tabs (within the same workbook) without using a mouse? i.e., what keyboard sequences do you need to do this? The only way I've found is opening a second instance of Excel and alt-tab between them, but then one spreadsheet is open in read only format. Can this be done? Please help the carpal tunnel people out there! Thanks, Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net) joemagiera@ameritech.net ctrl-pgup and ctrl-pgdn Joe Magiera wrote: > > How can you switch between worksheets tabs (within the same workbook) without > using a mouse? i.e.,...

"Switch Identities" in Outlook
Hi, I see plenty of posts stating that one can't "switch identies" in Outlook after running the office program. None of these posts seem to explain how to correctly manage 2 separate profiles (and yes, we need 2 profiles). I can not seem to get the 2nd profile's emails out of profile #1. Suggestions? Thx! Have you checked the Outlook help files for "using profiles?" Once you have read that, post back with anything that you are still unclear about. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsoli...

Outlook 2000 profiles in XP Pro
hope someone can help. i just upgraded my os from 98 to xp pro, and reinstalled windows office 2000 pro, with outlook. on 98, i was able to have an outlook account profile popup box appear when i opened outlook - have three accounts in the house, and you could select which one to use. i have not been able to find that opening popup box in outlook as i've installed it in xp pro. i've reestablished our three accounts, but cannot seem to get it to reappear. all the help documentation refers to setting up separate xp profiles for individual settings/accounts in outlook, whic...

How do you send mail from two mailbox's in one Outlook Profile?
Does anyone know how to configure a user to be able to send mail from two different mailbox's within the same Outlook profile? I have two exchange 2003 servers and some users need the ability to be able to send mail from two different mailbox's. I am aware of the send on behalf feature but I need to be able to send mail from each mailbox is it has to appear is came from the correct domain address .. E.G one mailbox has an address of john@my-company.com on one server and the second mailbox has an address of john@our-company.com on the other server. I need to be able to reply or create...

Outlook Profiles 2K3
How can I turn off the ability to "Work Offline"? Here is the Situation: In our mainframe room, we have 8 people using 2 machines setup identically. These are 2 sets or Day and Night crews. These 2 machines are logged in to our Local Domain with the same user ID so that there is no confusion with password lock-outs since all of the 8 users are classified as "USERS" and no admin rights are available to them. Keeps me from getting a call at 2 am. Here is the Problem: Outlook 2003 uses "Profiles" to keep track of each persons email. It downloads a "Loc...

Shortcut key
One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? Thank you, dbuchanan "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan52@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1127084047.892156.41270@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to > select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is > there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? > > Thank you, > dbuchanan S...

command-line switches Office 2000 SP3
Hi all Can anyone please help me with a problem i am having. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe /m mail@myaccount.com?subject=APPSYS:%20Data%20Archive /a %ZIP% This code worked perfectly in Outlook 2000 (installed as part of O2K premium) until I installed SP3 yesterday I now get a switch not valid error message The code used to open Outlook, create a message to the specified address, put in the subject line and attach the correct file. I have a 2nd app on the server which looks for the correct file and attachement - it then grabs and processses the attachments accordi...

Asking for profile- unwanted
Outlook 2003 Current admin user login used to have multiple email accounts. I have removed all but one, and I'd like it to stop asking which profile to use. help? Control Panel | Mail | Show Profiles --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message = news:%23LVsZF5OFHA.4048@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2003 >=20 > Current admin user login used to have multiple email accounts. &g...