Restore emails lost in virus attack

Virus caused loss of some data-- 8 days of emails stored in Outlook.  Virus
gone.  I have a backup drive image (Norton Ghost 9.0 with backup image
browser).  Which file(s) do I need to restore from the backup drive image in
order to regain the lost emails?  What surprises should I beware of?

ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN  LOL  Thank you in advance.

The files you need are the pst files. Since you did not post your version of Outlook
I am presuming based on OL 2003\07 the *.pst file

--
Peter

"callmark1" <callmark1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Virus caused loss of some data-- 8 days of emails stored in Outlook.  Virus
> gone.  I have a backup drive image (Norton Ghost 9.0 with backup image
> browser).  Which file(s) do I need to restore from the backup drive image in
> order to regain the lost emails?  What surprises should I beware of?
>
> ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN  LOL  Thank you in advance.

0
Peter
3/28/2010 3:07:14 PM
yes   My Outlook is part of MS Office 2003.

..pst it is, thank you.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> The files you need are the pst files. Since you did not post your version of Outlook
> I am presuming based on OL 2003\07 the *.pst file
>
> --
> Peter

> "callmark1" <callmark1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Virus caused loss of some data-- 8 days of emails stored in Outlook.  Virus
> > gone.  I have a backup drive image (Norton Ghost 9.0 with backup image
> > browser).  Which file(s) do I need to restore from the backup drive image in
> > order to regain the lost emails?  What surprises should I beware of?
> >
> > ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP PLAN  LOL  Thank you in advance.
>
> .

Email Notification...........................
My email folder shortcuts in Outlook2003 do not show a new email count next to the folder name as they did with Outlook XP. Is there a way to fix that Thank ...

can't send a email
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Non received of follow-up pre-enroller mail', Account: 'POP3', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E -- Need Help. Use the Configuration Settings on this page: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry NB: Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to Port 587, not Port 25! -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 www.banthecheck.com Lim wrote: > The connection to th...

Sending Outlook email from Access
Hi, I'm using the function below to generate an Outlook email with multiple attachments from an Access form's code. It works great, but it generates the following message before opening Outlook: "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" (there's a check box you have to check, then a dropdown that allows you to select a duration for allowing it). Access I know pretty well, but I don't know Outlook at all. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this message box (my users won't want to be bothere...

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

EMail Rejection ... sometimes
Hi Everyone, About 1 month ago we migrated from a W2K/Exchange 5.5 server to a W2K3/Exchange 2003 server. The 5.5 server has been deprecated. From time to time, incoming messages are being rejected from users that at times they come thru. I'm suspecting a DNS problem but really don't have any idea of what is going on. Again, we have received emails from this user many times and this is happening with several users randomly. Here is a sample of what one of those users is getting when the message gets rejected by our server: Reporting-MTA: dns;mtlsmtp.bis.adp.com Received-From...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

I cannot send emails
The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Vests & Chaps on Sale', Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I am getting the same message. All was fine this morning and I changed nothing on my e-mail now I also get that message pop up and can not send e-mails. "carol" wrote: > The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'Fw: Vests & Chaps on Sale', > Account: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Server: &...

Email of Statements
Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature No, you must use Adobe to use this particular feature. Kind of odd, isn't it? -- Charles Allen, MVP "rcr" wrote: > Can you use another pdf Writer other than Adobe for this feature yes and no. When print to pdf was added - 6.0 i think - there weren't many other options for creating pdf's. OK, now there are. But OK which ones do we add support for? Them all? Support for PDF output must support being able to automatically name the created output file without intervention. And I assume many bu...

Set as Default email account resets to Exchange
Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout and login? This is on a 2003 sb server. This should really be posted in the SBS newsgroup. It sounds like it could be an SBS logon script, or a Group Policy that is modifying this. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0BD5927-2226-429E-ADFE-06E03EED84AC@microsoft.com... > Why does and XP workstation reset to the Exchange account when you logout > and > login? This is on a 2003 sb server. ...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Multiple emails downloaded in OL 2000
Here's my situation: I have OL 2000 installed & configured as IMO, downloading from two POP accounts. Every so often (approx. 2x/week), the machine will download multiple copies of the same message, even though there is only one instance of the message on the server, and the message is still in the inbox. Anybody have any idea as to what is causing this & what I need to do to fix it? Thanks, Dave ...

Do not post your email to this board
Do not put your email on this board. I put mine on about 2 weeks ago and now every day I get 30-40 emails containing viruses in them. Luckily my virus protection is picking these up, but the emails look like they are coming straight from Microsoft. So I repeat, do not put your emial on this board. Also, If anyone knows how I can possibly stop these emails from coming to me, please let me know. The problem is that they are all coming from unique email addresses. I get the same emails you are getting and I don't have my email address posted to these newsgroups. Otto "Jeff ...

emails to more than one person in crm
When we send a CRM email the To: menu only looks at the Outlook(email address book) contact folders. I know how to add additional contact folders(email address book) to choose from in Outlook by checking the "show this folder as outlook email address book" in the properties of the contact folder. I would like to know if that can be done in crm. ...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

Why do I receive emails with email inside of them?
Frequently when I receive emails that I am being forwarded, the email I'm being forwarded is an attachment in the email. Sometimes it's embedded several emails deep. So once I've finally got to see what I actually want to see, there are 2, 3, 4 or more emails open on my task bar. I hope that that is clear what I mean. Is there any way I can disable this? I'm using outlook 2002 BTW. Thanks, Darren Barnes wooba [at] gmx [dot] net ...

How to set up incoming Outlk emails to go to an addl email addres
How can I set up one e-mail address to automatically receive incoming messages going to another e-mail in Outlook? You can set up a rule to auto-forward emails received by one email account to another by using the Rules Wizard. However, depending upon the type of mail account you have, you might have to leave Outlook on for the rule to stay in effect. Please advise. -- Kathleen Orland Please support me in my efforts: SPCA Friends for Life 2010 Walk-A-Thon http://ontariospca.akaraisin.com/p/kathleenorland.aspx "Miss Polly" <Miss Polly@discussions.microsoft.com...

Cropping a picture in Outlook Email using Crop Toolbar in outlook 2003
I have inserted a picture into a new Outlook email. I also have the edit-picture toolbar visible. It has a crop icon. However when I use the tool to crop the image inserted in the email, nothing happens. Is there a way to crop the image in the create new email window? The crop Icon allows you to crop images. the handles on the edges of the image should be used to crop. ...

Outlook 2000 Blank Emails
Hi all, need help with this problem, have tried searching MS Support, NGs, etc... We have a user with Windows 2000, and Office 2000, he uses Outlook SR1. Lately he's being having problems with recipient getting blank emails from him. I read something about a Beta version of Ie6 but we have never installed beta at all in the office. Most of his emails go out thru his secretary who uses "on behalf of" (maybe it thinks forged headers stopped by AV filters ??) anyway any help very much apreciated b4 I pull out all my hair !!! Thanks Ernie ...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

New Install Failure installing the email router
The diag tool installed by CRM is failing when it checks SQL. I'm getting a string too short or too long error. It suggests that I can fix this by going to control panel and choosing the repair option for CRM but that is failing also. Win 2003 Server SP1 SQL 2000 standard SP4 Exchange 2003 SP2 ...

hide the new email system tray envelope
how can i hide the envelope in the system tray that apears when a new email arives? i only want the envelope to apear when i have a new email in my inbox. I have a outlook rule that moves specific new emails to the junkmail folder. how can i make it so that if any new email gets moved to that folder it doesn't notify me with this envelope icon? "James" <See.My.Sig@The.Bottom.com> wrote in message news:Odw6Hjp9EHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > how can i hide the envelope in the system tray that apears when a new > email arives? i only want the envelope to ap...