Outlook E-mail Unable to SEND

I'm traveling.  While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send using 
Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003 
SP3 from anywhere today.  I've been to the free wireless at Panera Bread and 
I've tried a home network here which is using AOL.  I even changed the 
ouotgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL 
from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and at Panera Bread.  
(I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter suggested, and that 
didn't work either.>)  My Outlook tells me it is processing my outbox 
messages but then tells me it failed.  And, indeed, it has failed.  
Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail 
file.  I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS.  Can anyone help me to send email from 
Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days?  (Incoming mail 
works just fine.)  I've checked with Charter and they claim that as I can 
send and receive using their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's 
Microsoft's.  I really don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to 
work!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
0
Utf
12/15/2009 9:50:01 PM
outlook.general 7254 articles. 3 followers. Follow

15 Replies
3464 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

BobT. wrote:

> I'm traveling.  While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send using 
> Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003 
> SP3 from anywhere today.  I've been to the free wireless at Panera Bread and 
> I've tried a home network here which is using AOL.  I even changed the 
> ouotgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL 
> from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and at Panera Bread.  
> (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter suggested, and that 
> didn't work either.>)  My Outlook tells me it is processing my outbox 
> messages but then tells me it failed.  And, indeed, it has failed.  
> Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail 
> file.  I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS.  Can anyone help me to send email from 
> Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days?  (Incoming mail 
> works just fine.)  I've checked with Charter and they claim that as I can 
> send and receive using their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's 
> Microsoft's.  I really don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to 
> work!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Since you are off-domain of the SMTP mail server that you are trying to use,
do you authenticate to it?  Check the SMTP settings in the e-mail account
that you defined in Outlook.  Authenticating to the SMTP server is how
e-mail providers reduce attacks by spammers to abuse their mail server.
0
VanguardLH
12/15/2009 10:58:39 PM
My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication using 
<smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be because I'm using 
Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other domains when I'm traveling, say 
AOL at the residence I'm staying at right now, are you telling me that I DO 
have to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box?  
And so, which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks for 
taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get back to my home 
domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect the "requires 
authentication" box, right?

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> BobT. wrote:
> 
> > I'm traveling.  While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send using 
> > Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003 
> > SP3 from anywhere today.  I've been to the free wireless at Panera Bread and 
> > I've tried a home network here which is using AOL.  I even changed the 
> > ouotgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL 
> > from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and at Panera Bread.  
> > (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter suggested, and that 
> > didn't work either.>)  My Outlook tells me it is processing my outbox 
> > messages but then tells me it failed.  And, indeed, it has failed.  
> > Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail 
> > file.  I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS.  Can anyone help me to send email from 
> > Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days?  (Incoming mail 
> > works just fine.)  I've checked with Charter and they claim that as I can 
> > send and receive using their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's 
> > Microsoft's.  I really don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to 
> > work!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
> 
> Since you are off-domain of the SMTP mail server that you are trying to use,
> do you authenticate to it?  Check the SMTP settings in the e-mail account
> that you defined in Outlook.  Authenticating to the SMTP server is how
> e-mail providers reduce attacks by spammers to abuse their mail server.
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/16/2009 5:04:01 AM
BobT. wrote:

> My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication using 
> <smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be because I'm using 
> Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other domains when I'm traveling, say 
> AOL at the residence I'm staying at right now, are you telling me that I DO 
> have to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box?  
> And so, which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks for 
> taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get back to my home 
> domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect the "requires 
> authentication" box, right?

The SMTP server always requires authentication to ensure you have permission
to use that resource.  If you don't explicitly specify the login credentials
for the SMTP mail server, the ones you specify for the POP server get
reused.  There is usually an expiration of how long the login credentials
for a POP session can be used for a following SMTP session.  

Even at home, authenticate to your SMTP mail server.  It doesn't hurt if not
needed but it helps when it is required.  When you are on-domain to the SMTP
mail host, your ISP already knows who you are and that you are allowed to
use their SMTP server.  However, logging into it is just as okay to prove
you have permission to use their server.

Enable SMTP authentication and just leave it that way.
0
VanguardLH
12/16/2009 9:10:52 AM
I've done so and STILL no outbox mail will send.  Very frustrating.  Any 
other recommendations?

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> BobT. wrote:
> 
> > My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication using 
> > <smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be because I'm using 
> > Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other domains when I'm traveling, say 
> > AOL at the residence I'm staying at right now, are you telling me that I DO 
> > have to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box?  
> > And so, which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks for 
> > taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get back to my home 
> > domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect the "requires 
> > authentication" box, right?
> 
> The SMTP server always requires authentication to ensure you have permission
> to use that resource.  If you don't explicitly specify the login credentials
> for the SMTP mail server, the ones you specify for the POP server get
> reused.  There is usually an expiration of how long the login credentials
> for a POP session can be used for a following SMTP session.  
> 
> Even at home, authenticate to your SMTP mail server.  It doesn't hurt if not
> needed but it helps when it is required.  When you are on-domain to the SMTP
> mail host, your ISP already knows who you are and that you are allowed to
> use their SMTP server.  However, logging into it is just as okay to prove
> you have permission to use their server.
> 
> Enable SMTP authentication and just leave it that way.
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/16/2009 3:01:01 PM
BobT. wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
> 
>> BobT. wrote:
>> 
>>> My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication using 
>>> <smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be because I'm using 
>>> Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other domains when I'm traveling, say 
>>> AOL at the residence I'm staying at right now, are you telling me that I DO 
>>> have to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box?  
>>> And so, which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks for 
>>> taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get back to my home 
>>> domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect the "requires 
>>> authentication" box, right?
>> 
>> The SMTP server always requires authentication to ensure you have permission
>> to use that resource.  If you don't explicitly specify the login credentials
>> for the SMTP mail server, the ones you specify for the POP server get
>> reused.  There is usually an expiration of how long the login credentials
>> for a POP session can be used for a following SMTP session.  
>> 
>> Even at home, authenticate to your SMTP mail server.  It doesn't hurt if not
>> needed but it helps when it is required.  When you are on-domain to the SMTP
>> mail host, your ISP already knows who you are and that you are allowed to
>> use their SMTP server.  However, logging into it is just as okay to prove
>> you have permission to use their server.
>> 
>> Enable SMTP authentication and just leave it that way.
>> .
>>

> I've done so and STILL no outbox mail will send.  Very frustrating.  Any 
> other recommendations?
> 

Some ISPs have one set of settings for when on-domain and a different set
when off-domain.  For example, they may have you use non-SSL connects to
port 110 for POP when on-domain but require you use SSL and port 995 when
off-domain.  Same for SMTP.  They may want you to use non-SSL connects on
port 25 or 587 when on-domain but require SSL connecton on port 465 when
off-domain.  You need to find out if your ISP has "travelling" settings when
off their domain and connecting to their mail hosts.

So what did Charter say when you asked them for support for the service that
you pay them?  A functional webmail interface to your account does NOT prove
that their POP and SMTP mail hosts are working or that you are using the
correct settings for them.

Find out from your e-mail provider if they let you use the same settings
when on their domain and when off their domain.  Then find out what are the
actual settings for those scenarios.  

So far, the only info you provided here about "unable to send" was "tells me
it failed."  Obviously neither one provides that ACTUAL error message that
you get.  Regarding error or status messages:

- Do NOT omit the message.
- Do NOT describe the message.
- Do NOT summarize the message.
- Do NOT paraphrase the message.
- Do NOT truncate the message.
- Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info, 
  like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
- Provide sufficient context under which the error occurs or how to
  reproduce it.
0
VanguardLH
12/17/2009 12:11:58 AM
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:11:58 -0600
VanguardLH VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> articulated:

> BobT. wrote:
> 
> > VanguardLH wrote:
> >   
> >> BobT. wrote:
> >>   
> >>> My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication
> >>> using <smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be
> >>> because I'm using Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other
> >>> domains when I'm traveling, say AOL at the residence I'm staying
> >>> at right now, are you telling me that I DO have to check the "My
> >>> outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box? And so,
> >>> which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks
> >>> for taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get
> >>> back to my home domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect
> >>> the "requires authentication" box, right?  
> >> 
> >> The SMTP server always requires authentication to ensure you have
> >> permission to use that resource.  If you don't explicitly specify
> >> the login credentials for the SMTP mail server, the ones you
> >> specify for the POP server get reused.  There is usually an
> >> expiration of how long the login credentials for a POP session can
> >> be used for a following SMTP session.  
> >> 
> >> Even at home, authenticate to your SMTP mail server.  It doesn't
> >> hurt if not needed but it helps when it is required.  When you are
> >> on-domain to the SMTP mail host, your ISP already knows who you
> >> are and that you are allowed to use their SMTP server.  However,
> >> logging into it is just as okay to prove you have permission to
> >> use their server.
> >> 
> >> Enable SMTP authentication and just leave it that way.
> >> .
> >>  
> 
> > I've done so and STILL no outbox mail will send.  Very
> > frustrating.  Any other recommendations?
> >   

Have you tried using telnet to access your ISP's mail server? Try it
using both ports 25 and 587. Many ISPs are now requiring 587. You do
not have to actually log in on port 587 since it will require STARTTLS;
however, it will indicate if you are actually making a connection.

Just for fun, I tried doing a telnet on port 25 here to your ISP and
this is the info returned:

telnet smtp.charter.net 25
Trying 209.225.8.224...
Connected to smtp.charter.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
571 imp10 smtp.charter.net NjcuMTg5LjE4My4xNzI= You must connect from Charter IP space.  E1110
Connection closed by foreign host.

And on port 587:

telnet smtp.charter.net 587
Trying 209.225.8.224...
telnet: connect to address 209.225.8.224: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

-- 
Carmel

|::::=======
|::::=======
|===========
|===========
|

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

TOPIC: Posting Etiquette


0
Carmel
12/17/2009 11:01:41 AM
I've received two different error messages while trying to resolve this issue:

1. Task '<my email address> - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 
'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you 
continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or 
Internet service provider (ISP).'

2. Task '<my email address> - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC61) : 'Your 
outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue 
to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet 
service provider (ISP).  The server responded: ?71 imp11 smtp.charter.net 
MjQuMTkyLjg2LjEwNA== You must connect from Charter IP space.  E1110'

Does that help you?

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> BobT. wrote:
> 
> > VanguardLH wrote:
> > 
> >> BobT. wrote:
> >> 
> >>> My Outgoing Serfver generally does not require authentication using 
> >>> <smtp.charter.net> when I am at home.  But that must be because I'm using 
> >>> Charter as my ISP.  Because I am using other domains when I'm traveling, say 
> >>> AOL at the residence I'm staying at right now, are you telling me that I DO 
> >>> have to check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box?  
> >>> And so, which one of the three radio dials should I  also check?  Thanks for 
> >>> taking me through this step by step.  And then when I get back to my home 
> >>> domain I suspect I should go back in and deselect the "requires 
> >>> authentication" box, right?
> >> 
> >> The SMTP server always requires authentication to ensure you have permission
> >> to use that resource.  If you don't explicitly specify the login credentials
> >> for the SMTP mail server, the ones you specify for the POP server get
> >> reused.  There is usually an expiration of how long the login credentials
> >> for a POP session can be used for a following SMTP session.  
> >> 
> >> Even at home, authenticate to your SMTP mail server.  It doesn't hurt if not
> >> needed but it helps when it is required.  When you are on-domain to the SMTP
> >> mail host, your ISP already knows who you are and that you are allowed to
> >> use their SMTP server.  However, logging into it is just as okay to prove
> >> you have permission to use their server.
> >> 
> >> Enable SMTP authentication and just leave it that way.
> >> .
> >>
> 
> > I've done so and STILL no outbox mail will send.  Very frustrating.  Any 
> > other recommendations?
> > 
> 
> Some ISPs have one set of settings for when on-domain and a different set
> when off-domain.  For example, they may have you use non-SSL connects to
> port 110 for POP when on-domain but require you use SSL and port 995 when
> off-domain.  Same for SMTP.  They may want you to use non-SSL connects on
> port 25 or 587 when on-domain but require SSL connecton on port 465 when
> off-domain.  You need to find out if your ISP has "travelling" settings when
> off their domain and connecting to their mail hosts.
> 
> So what did Charter say when you asked them for support for the service that
> you pay them?  A functional webmail interface to your account does NOT prove
> that their POP and SMTP mail hosts are working or that you are using the
> correct settings for them.
> 
> Find out from your e-mail provider if they let you use the same settings
> when on their domain and when off their domain.  Then find out what are the
> actual settings for those scenarios.  
> 
> So far, the only info you provided here about "unable to send" was "tells me
> it failed."  Obviously neither one provides that ACTUAL error message that
> you get.  Regarding error or status messages:
> 
> - Do NOT omit the message.
> - Do NOT describe the message.
> - Do NOT summarize the message.
> - Do NOT paraphrase the message.
> - Do NOT truncate the message.
> - Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info, 
>   like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
> - Provide sufficient context under which the error occurs or how to
>   reproduce it.
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/18/2009 4:11:01 AM
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:50:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:

> I'm traveling.  While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send using 
> Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003 
> SP3 from anywhere today.  I've been to the free wireless at Panera Bread and 
> I've tried a home network here which is using AOL.  I even changed the 
> ouotgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL 
> from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and at Panera Bread.  
> (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter suggested, and that 
> didn't work either.>)  My Outlook tells me it is processing my outbox 
> messages but then tells me it failed.  And, indeed, it has failed.  
> Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail 
> file.  I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS.  Can anyone help me to send email from 
> Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days?  (Incoming mail 
> works just fine.)  I've checked with Charter and they claim that as I can 
> send and receive using their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's 
> Microsoft's.  I really don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to 
> work!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Your ISP may only allow access to their SMTP message submission server while
you are on their IP network. They use an IP address database called an
"Access Control List" which contains permitted IP addresses, and denies
connection to the rest. In such a case, the ISP usually does not require
authentication to the server; they use your connecting IP address as the
authentication.

That you can use Web mail for access is a cop out by your ISP; they probably
do not wish to administer an SMTP message submission server beyond what they
are currently allowing. More likely, they'd rather not offer you SMTP
message submission service at all, if they thought they could just drop it,
and push you to Web mail.

One work around would be to set up a Gmail account (free), and configure it
for POP3 access. No need to use the 'gmail.com' email address, or to change
your POP3 service. However, you can use the Gmail 'verification' process to
verify your Charter email address as an alternate sender. Then you can set
your client to use 'smtp.gmail.com' for your outbound email.

-- 
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
N
12/18/2009 5:15:40 AM
BobT. wrote:

> I've received two different error messages while trying to resolve this issue:
> 
> 1. Task '<my email address> - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 
> 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you 
> continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or 
> Internet service provider (ISP).'
> 
> 2. Task '<my email address> - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC61) : 'Your 
> outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue 
> to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet 
> service provider (ISP).  The server responded: ?71 imp11 smtp.charter.net 
> MjQuMTkyLjg2LjEwNA== You must connect from Charter IP space.  E1110'

The 2nd error says that you can only connect to their SMTP mail host when
you are on-domain (i.e., when using their network).  That's why I mentioned
to ask them if they have "travelling" settings for accessing their SMTP mail
host when off-domain.  With the current settings that you configured in the
e-mail account defined in your e-mail client, and because you are
off-domain, they aren't permitting access to their SMTP mail host.  So
either you need to use different settings when off-domain or they just don't
permit off-domain access.  

I took one stab at trying to find their web help page on settings and only
found a page that walked you through the settings (after picking an e-mail
client) but that looks to be their on-domain settings.  Today I went back to
charter.net to their web help pages under the Internet section for E-mail
and noticed they have a "Mobile Email Settings" link.  You could try the
general settings to see if they work.
0
VanguardLH
12/18/2009 1:23:52 PM
This may just be the workaround I need!  Charter swears they have no 
off-domain settings and everything should work just fine wherever I am using 
their standard port settings - but obviously it's not working!  It's strange 
as I've never encountered this problem anywhere in my travels before, all the 
while using Charter as my ISP.  I'll let you know if the gmail configuration 
works.  Thanks for the idea.

"N. Miller" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:50:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:
> 
> > I'm traveling.  While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send using 
> > Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003 
> > SP3 from anywhere today.  I've been to the free wireless at Panera Bread and 
> > I've tried a home network here which is using AOL.  I even changed the 
> > ouotgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL 
> > from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and at Panera Bread.  
> > (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter suggested, and that 
> > didn't work either.>)  My Outlook tells me it is processing my outbox 
> > messages but then tells me it failed.  And, indeed, it has failed.  
> > Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail 
> > file.  I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS.  Can anyone help me to send email from 
> > Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days?  (Incoming mail 
> > works just fine.)  I've checked with Charter and they claim that as I can 
> > send and receive using their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's 
> > Microsoft's.  I really don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to 
> > work!  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
> 
> Your ISP may only allow access to their SMTP message submission server while
> you are on their IP network. They use an IP address database called an
> "Access Control List" which contains permitted IP addresses, and denies
> connection to the rest. In such a case, the ISP usually does not require
> authentication to the server; they use your connecting IP address as the
> authentication.
> 
> That you can use Web mail for access is a cop out by your ISP; they probably
> do not wish to administer an SMTP message submission server beyond what they
> are currently allowing. More likely, they'd rather not offer you SMTP
> message submission service at all, if they thought they could just drop it,
> and push you to Web mail.
> 
> One work around would be to set up a Gmail account (free), and configure it
> for POP3 access. No need to use the 'gmail.com' email address, or to change
> your POP3 service. However, you can use the Gmail 'verification' process to
> verify your Charter email address as an alternate sender. Then you can set
> your client to use 'smtp.gmail.com' for your outbound email.
> 
> -- 
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/18/2009 2:59:01 PM
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:59:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:

> This may just be the workaround I need!  Charter swears they have no 
> off-domain settings and everything should work just fine wherever I am using 
> their standard port settings - but obviously it's not working!  It's strange 
> as I've never encountered this problem anywhere in my travels before, all the 
> while using Charter as my ISP.  I'll let you know if the gmail configuration 
> works.  Thanks for the idea.

I did not see anything in your post to suggest it, but another possibility
is that the system you are on blocks outbound port 25 traffic. Even if you
could hit Charter servers using port 25 from some other IP network, if you
are on an IP network which blocks outbound port 25, you will be effectively
cut off from the Charter servers. At least until Charter enters the 21st
Century, and offers a proper SMTP message submission port.

-- 
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
N
12/18/2009 10:06:46 PM
That may be my problem as I set up a gmail email account and have encountered 
all the same problems using it - NO outbound mail service.  My only other 
posibility may be to go to a hotel I've stayed at inthis locality previously, 
and successfully used receive AND send email service there, to see if I can 
make anything work.

"N. Miller" wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:59:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:
> 
> > This may just be the workaround I need!  Charter swears they have no 
> > off-domain settings and everything should work just fine wherever I am using 
> > their standard port settings - but obviously it's not working!  It's strange 
> > as I've never encountered this problem anywhere in my travels before, all the 
> > while using Charter as my ISP.  I'll let you know if the gmail configuration 
> > works.  Thanks for the idea.
> 
> I did not see anything in your post to suggest it, but another possibility
> is that the system you are on blocks outbound port 25 traffic. Even if you
> could hit Charter servers using port 25 from some other IP network, if you
> are on an IP network which blocks outbound port 25, you will be effectively
> cut off from the Charter servers. At least until Charter enters the 21st
> Century, and offers a proper SMTP message submission port.
> 
> -- 
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
> .
> 
0
Utf
12/19/2009 5:38:01 AM
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:38:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:

> That may be my problem as I set up a gmail email account and have encountered 
> all the same problems using it - NO outbound mail service.  My only other 
> posibility may be to go to a hotel I've stayed at inthis locality previously, 
> and successfully used receive AND send email service there, to see if I can 
> make anything work.

In which case, you can set up your Gmail account in Outlook to use port 465
with SSL, or to use port 587. I expect, in a road environment, such as you
are in, port 465 is preferable. Places which block port 25 outbound rarely
block the proper message submission ports.

-- 
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
N
12/19/2009 5:18:36 PM
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:18:36 -0800
N. Miller <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> articulated:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:38:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:
> 
> > That may be my problem as I set up a gmail email account and have
> > encountered all the same problems using it - NO outbound mail
> > service.  My only other posibility may be to go to a hotel I've
> > stayed at inthis locality previously, and successfully used receive
> > AND send email service there, to see if I can make anything work.
> 
> In which case, you can set up your Gmail account in Outlook to use
> port 465 with SSL, or to use port 587. I expect, in a road
> environment, such as you are in, port 465 is preferable. Places which
> block port 25 outbound rarely block the proper message submission
> ports.
> 

Port 465 is depreciated. Port 587 is the preferred submission port.

Although some servers support port 465 for legacy secure SMTP in
violation of the specifications, it is preferable to use standard ports
and standard ESMTP commands[15] according to RFC 3207.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt

-- 
Carmel

|::::=======
|::::=======
|===========
|===========
|

I am so optimistic about beef prices that I've just leased a pot roast
with an option to buy.


0
Carmel
12/19/2009 5:28:51 PM
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:28:51 -0500, Carmel wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 09:18:36 -0800
> N. Miller <anonymous@msnews.aosake.net> articulated:

>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 21:38:01 -0800, BobT. wrote:

>>> That may be my problem as I set up a gmail email account and have
>>> encountered all the same problems using it - NO outbound mail
>>> service.  My only other posibility may be to go to a hotel I've
>>> stayed at inthis locality previously, and successfully used receive
>>> AND send email service there, to see if I can make anything work.

>> In which case, you can set up your Gmail account in Outlook to use
>> port 465 with SSL, or to use port 587. I expect, in a road
>> environment, such as you are in, port 465 is preferable. Places which
>> block port 25 outbound rarely block the proper message submission
>> ports.

> Port 465 is depreciated. Port 587 is the preferred submission port.

Port 465 is not "deprecated"; it was never "officially" established as a
message submission port. Per RFC 2476 (December, 1998), port 587 has always
been the "preferred" message submission port. RFC 2476 is deprecated by RFC
4409 (April, 2006). But neither RFC requires encryption, only
authentication. TLS encryption is optional.

Port 465 was never a proposed Internet standard (no RFC). However, it was
adopted, ad hoc, as a standard SSL encryption message submission port.

> Although some servers support port 465 for legacy secure SMTP in
> violation of the specifications, it is preferable to use standard ports
> and standard ESMTP commands[15] according to RFC 3207.
> 
> See:
> 
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2476.txt

I am not aware that port 465 support is in violation of any specification.
RFCs are not mandatory, but advisable for guaranteed interoperability.
Gmail, and now Yahoo! use port 465 with SSL, without breaking anything.
Gmail provides port 587 access using TLS, Yahoo! provides port 587 access,
but without TLS.

Scanning RFC 4409 (which supersedes RFC 2476), I do not see encryption (TLS)
as a mandatory requirement. It is an optional requirement only.

-- 
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
0
N
12/20/2009 3:36:44 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outlook with Outlook Express ?
Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using Outlook Express? Thanks. Talal Itani No. But you can do it vice versa. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:TXaXh.4742$Fc1.4027@trnddc05... > > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? > > Thanks. > Talal Itani > Talal Itani <titani@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to select an Outlook Contact, and send an email using > Outlook Express? No, but you could open the Outlook Contact, select the e...

Why does Outlook access contacts twice at start up?
When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) Dave Clewlow;111740 Wrote: > When I open Outlook (2002), I am always immediately promped twice to > allow access to contacts. Is this normal? (I always decline) What is the exact text of the error or prompt and what type of account are you using? -- Brian Tillman Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] -- http://forums.slipstick.com What add-ins are installed? It sounds like you have two that want to access your contacts. -- Diane P...

I am unable to activate a 2nd account in Outlook
My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm -- Kathleen Orland Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "55trojan" wrote: > My 2nd e-mail shows up in Outlook but no messages get sent there. ...

Importing old Outlook contact data into new Outlook personal fold
Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered drive. I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst fol...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07
Is there a way to point CRM contacts to a different folder in Outlook durring sink? ...

Outlook freezes up
I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and installed all the updates that were made since SP1 and then done the same for Office Updates. One of the updates SP1 downloaded and then quit the install telling me to download again and try to reinstall. When I go to down load it says the file is already downloaded... Where is it and how can I fix this problem? Thanks, Fred >-----Original Message----- >I just upgraded my OS to XP Pro and my Office to XP Pro. >After teh upgrades I went to Windows Update and install...

Outlook & Entourage
Hi All, I have Exchange 2007 server. I have a client. I setup Outlook in Dell PC and Entourage in his MAC PC. I have a problem now. When he checked Sent Items from Outlook, there just only have old sent emails which he sent on 2008 and he said that he has already deleted them. On Entourage, in Sent Items, there are emails which is he sent out recently, it shows correctly. Is anybody know why? Is there any tools which I could use for checking user's sent email box to see how many emails or email details are there from Exchange 2007? Thanks in advance, --qq "...

Outlook *.pst import to Outlook Web Access???
I am wondering if there is a way to import my Personal Folder.pst into Outlook Web Access application? JimC No, that's not possible, because OWA is a browser application. It knows = nothing about files on your hard drive.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 "JimC2007" <JimC2007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

cannot send excel worksheet (sheet only) to mail recipient
When in Excel, I CAN send an excel spreadsheet as an attachment (file, send to, mail receipient as attachment). I can NOT send only a single sheet out of the worksheet to an email receipient (file, send to, mail recipient, send the current sheet as the message body). Error received says "Excel could not start the email program. Check your network connection. Make sure outlook is installed correctly, your email program is set up correctly, and you can connect to your email server." I am using MS Excel 2002 and MS Office 2003 in a Windows XP operating system. Hi Nancy See ...

Opening Outlook
I can't open Outlook. Outlook Express is fine. I get the message "Unable to open your default folders. Outlook could not open because a location to send and receive e-mail could not be found. To add a location open the 'Mail' icon in control panel. I've looked in the 'mail' and I have 'none' in the delivery section and no apparent means of adding one. Help Search your hard drive for all files with a .PST extension. If you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you'll need to enable searching in hidden and system folders to find all possible .PST fi...

gridlines in outlook?
im trying to make outlook print gridlines. i copy a piece of an exce worksheet into an outlook email. the gridlines appear ok. but when i g to print- they dont appear on the preview or the print out. what do i need to do to make them visible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Exchange 5.5- need to increase maximum size for received mail
I need to change either the default maximum received email size for all mailboxes or for one user, but would like to know how to do both. Someone is trying to send a large email and it keeps getting bounced. To increase the limit the user can receive open the users mailbox in Exchange Admin, click the Limits tab and increase the Incoming limit. Please note that by default it is set to "No Limit". I am not sure how to change it for everyone. "Jeremy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f79d01c457cb$487a2ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I nee...

Receiveng garbage instead of mail text or attachments in OL2003
I have Outlook 2003 on a Win2K Pro box. A friend has Outlook 2003 in a Windows Vista Business box. I ONLY send mail in text form (Ido not use HTML or Outllok Rich text format). He gets my mails in raw form (Spanish Outlook both): ********************** -----Mensaje original----- De: xxxxxx [mailto:xxx@xxxxx] Enviado el: martes, 10 de febrero de 2009 12:03 p.m. Asunto: Desacople del Generador Return-Path: <xxxxxx@xxxxxx> Delivered-To: wwwwwwwww@xxxxxx Received: (qmail 44010 invoked by uid 88); 10 Feb 2009 14:24:44 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO XXXXXX) (xx.xx.xx.xx) by XXXXXXXXX wit...

"Unable to display the folder"
I am running Outlook Express, and when I go into tools -> accounts -> view or change current -> change -> more settings -> and click on the advanced tab to add... a mailbox, I type in the correct mailbox name (i.g. ASFAX) and click add. Click OK throughout, and when I get back to my Folder List, I click on the ASFAX and it says "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I know the name of the folder is correct, and it works fine. Other people in my organization can access this mailbox just as doing wha...

Please Help with Outlook Journal (Outlook 2002)
The journal is very important to me but it doesn't seem to be working. A) The contact list only displays 1/3 of my contacts (A-I) B) When I do check one of those boxes to track a contact, nothing automatically appears in the journal please help thanks in advance that dialog is a PITA. :) Go to the contacts folder and choose the phone list view from view, current view (or the advanced toolbar's current view selector) one of the last fields is Journal. Add and remove checks to that column to change the journal status. If you make a custom view that groups by journal field yo...

can't create rules in outlook
When I try to create rules in outlook, I get a message which says the rule can't be created and to check my folder permissions. If I go through the wizard, I can create them successfully. It is really frustrating, because most of what I want to create would be simple to create with the create button. I'm the only user on this machine. It is running Windows XP pro and I'm the admin. I'm using Outlook 2002. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Anne ...

Forward copy of outgoing e-mails to managers
I have a client that is running Exchange 2003. It is a brokerage firm and is bound by strict rules from the SEC and NASD. One of the requirements is that all incoming and outgoing e-mail is recorded and stored. We have this taken care of using journaling and ComplianceVault. Another requirement is that all managers receive a copy of all of the users e-mail. We are using forwarding to accomplish this for incoming e-mail but can't figure out how to also send the managers a copy of their outgoing. Is there anything that I am missing or can I do this? Aztech wrote: > I have a client...

select name box freezes Outlook
Outlook 2002 sp2 XP Pro When I click the To: button, the select names window opens. I cannot select any names as Outlook freezes completely. I have to close the entire program through Ctl Alt Del. I used the cd to do a fix and repair, but it did not fix or repair the problem. Any solutions or suggestions are appreciated. Jerry ...

outlook 2002
Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered it's extended support phase" can anyone help please Many thanks On 5/7/2010 7:13 AM, CAH wrote: > Hello I am having problems accessing outlook 2002 I get a message " > microsoft has stopped working" then another message " the product entered > it's extended support phase" > can anyone help please Many thanks You will need to ask this question in a group specific t...

outlook and links in emails
hi all, maybe someone knows... when i receive an email with a HTML link in it, is there any way (when i click on it) to make outlook open this using the inbuilt browser instead of it opening into IE? I am using office 2002 (=XP). regards, piotr The "in-built" browser IS Internet Explorer. What is it you are trying to accomplish? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Llama ...

Outlook XP and attachments
I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook XP, I also receive attachments. If I retrieve the message with Outlook Express 6.0, the attachmente deos not come through. What am I doing wrong? how do I correct the problem?? Thanks andrea <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recently installed Outlook XP SP-2. > > I send attachments (in this case. Powerpoint file). If I > retrieve the mail message from a POP server with Outlook > XP, I als...

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003
I've setup my Exchange 2010 server with my email address policies. Of course there are some acceptions to the rules. I've made changes to those accounts in the EMC under Recipient Configuration | Mailbox. I edit the account under the "E-Mail Addresses" tab by adding the diffrent email address, unchecking the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy", then click the "Set as Reply" button. If I fire up Outlook 2010, start to compose an email and select that person from the GAL, it will have the correct email addres...

Outlook 2007
Every time I go to Tasks the To Do list is the default view. I moved Tasks up to the top but the To Do list remains the default. Can you please tell me how to switch off the To Do list or make Tasks the default view. Can I go back to the good old Task view of Outlook 2003 without these dang To Do's ? Grateful for any help. Cheers. AFAIk, you can't change that. You could create a view the hid flagged messages, so only tasks are visible. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slip...

corrupted word-outlook interface or preferences
Without any warning, some preferences for Word 2003 when I use it as the email editor for Outlook got goofy today. When I'm in edit mode (creating a new email or replying to an old one), the fonts look bolder and larger than they should. When I send the email, they look fine when received. The fonts all look okay when I stop using Word as my email editor. I thought that maybe a Word preference got corrupted. I've tried deleting the Normal.dot file (for Word, since it seems that Word is at least part of the problem) and also doing the "detect and repair" option, but I&#...

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...