Outlook and Word 2003 editing and error problem

This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.

problems:
1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
arrow keys to navigate when editing.
2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
Word opens.
3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
that box.
4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
message.

Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?

thanks,

0
liu

Start by contacting your IT department.

liu wrote:

> This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
> updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
> started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
> but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
> I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.
>
> problems:
> 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
> editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
> arrow keys to navigate when editing.
> 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
> Word opens.
> 3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
> on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
> Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
> that box.
> 4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
> clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
> message.
>
> Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?
>
> thanks,

0
Bob
4/30/2010 4:22:37 PM
You can also check to see if Word is the email editor. Open Outlook, click
Tools>Options>Mail Format tab. Uncheck "Use Office Word to edit email
messages". Might get you by until you check with your IT. You could also run
a Detect and Repair from the Help menu. Check both options and click OK.

"liu" wrote:

> This is a problem happened on a company PC that IT controls the
> updates (security, anti-virus) in the night. One day morning, I
> started having the problems below. I didn't install anything before,
> but was sure something was installed by company IT that early morning.
> I turned off the PC and it was on the next day.
>
> problems:
> 1. I can't use mouse to move the cursor to a specific location in the
> editing window, but I can on the header (to:, subject). I have to use
> arrow keys to navigate when editing.
> 2. I can't launch Word whenever Outlook is open. Once Outlook is quit,
> Word opens.
> 3. Everytime I quit Outlook, I get "Microsoft Office Word has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." errorl. Reover my work and restart Microsft Word is
> on. If I leave it on, it will open Word with a blank page. If I quit
> Word, I get the same error message again and again unless I uncheck
> that box.
> 4. Word has become much less stable. It crashes often (such as double-
> clicking an image in Word doc) and sometimes has its own error
> message.
>
> Does anyone happen to know a solution to this?
>
> thanks,
>
> .

Start outlook in safe mode - does it work? To start in safe mode, close
outlook and hold Ctrl as you click the outlook icon to restart.

Check if word as enabled as the email editor. Disable it and see if it
works better.

Try Detect and Repair on the Help menu.

--
Slipstick

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

--
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Slipstick
4/30/2010 5:39:44 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

It runs fine like it used to be in Safe Mode. Don't know what features
are missing with safe mode though. Maybe I should just use Safe Mode.
Uncheck Word for editing works too. It appears the problem is the
Word. Detect and repair does not help.

I may ask them to upgrade to Office 2007.

Regards,
0
liu
4/30/2010 7:45:09 PM
liu;143576 Wrote:
> Thank you all for the advice.
>
> It runs fine like it used to be in Safe Mode. Don't know what features
> are missing with safe mode though. Maybe I should just use Safe Mode.
> Uncheck Word for editing works too. It appears the problem is the
> Word. Detect and repair does not help.
>
> I may ask them to upgrade to Office 2007.
>
> Regards,

It's either a problem with word or an addin and upgrading to 2007 may
not fix it (but 2007 is much nicer :)) - try a repair install or ask the
admin to do it if your account doesn't have the right permissions.

--
Slipstick

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

--
http://forums.slipstick.com

0
Slipstick
4/30/2010 8:35:23 PM
Thank you all for the advice. I've turned the Word off as the editor
and it works fine for now. The editing is not as good as using Word
though.
0
liu

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Configuring free/busy calendar in Exchange 2003
Does anyone know how to configure the free/busy in Exchange 2003 to publish more than 2 months of calendar free/busy information on the server? I can do it on the client Outlook but I want to change the default from 2 months to 6 months for all users. Free/busy information is used by people sending meeting requests to determine when you are available for meeting. Thanks. --John ...

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook freezes up

excel format errors
whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it takes my value and divides it by 10,000. For example, if I enter 34, it returns .00034. If I enter 34.0, it returns 34. All cells are formatted as General, with no indication of any special formatting applied to them. This has happened not only on my machine but also on several other machines around here. Tools > Options > Edit tab and uncheck the "Fixed Decimals" box. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >whenever I put an integer value in a new worksheet, it >takes my value and divides...

Outlook & Entourage

Query Builder Error: Unexpected Error
I am working with 1.2. I tried to print all cases for an account. When I leave the bullet on 'all pages', and then click the 'print' icon, I receive an error. ...

Opening Outlook

Word vs. PowerPoint
I'm giving a lecture next month, only my third with a PowerPoint presentation -- and only the first that'll have an audience of more than about 10, so I'll be writing it out fully in advance. And with the new Windows 7 laptop (yay!), I can even take advantage of the dual- monitor thing and have the slide show on the projector and a working view on the computer. Does anyone know of arguments for or against using the Notes function in PowerPoint to contain my entire text, vs. simply writing it in a word processor the usual way and printing it out? (I am assuming that I c...

gridlines in outlook?

ActiveX spreadsheet control problem
Hi! Is it possible to assign cell in a spreadsheet control on a userform as multi line? I tried several times to copy multi line strings into a spreadsheet control but it was always converged into one line. appreciate your help! Eli Try with some text in cell A1 Range("A1").WrapText = True -- Jacob "אלי" wrote: > Hi! > > Is it possible to assign cell in a spreadsheet control on a userform as > multi line? > I tried several times to copy multi line strings into a spreadsheet control > but it was always converged int...

SQL Server Error when going offline MS CRM 4.0
Hi We have quite a few problems with the MS CRM 4.0 Offline Client. When our customer tries to go offline he gets always an SQL Server Error. When we execute the diag tool it shows us that something is wrong with the sync. After executing the repair it works fine and we can go offline without any troubles. The strange thing is, that it does not work on the next day. Then we get the same error again. The only solution is to execute the repair.... We are working for quite a long time together with ms support, but unfortunately they couldn't help us so far. We also have installed several ...

How can i insert multiple pictures in a word doc, simultaneously?
Hello! I need to put in multiple photos from a file in my reports, and i would like them to be sized to fit 6-10 per page. Is there any way to do that in one simple step? Thanks! It depends on your definition of simple. In order to control the layout of the images you need to insert them in a table of fixed cell width. The images will then adapt to the width of the cell. How many will fit of a page is determined by whether the images are portrait mode or landscape mode - or mixed modes. The following macro will insert a two column table at the cursor and proceed to en...

can't create rules in outlook

Adobe Flash and/or javascript problems in IE8
I am pretty sure that my "explorers" (I use many different computers with IE8) are reporting every bit of hangs that I am suffering on a daily basis. I am also sure that lots of people at Miscrosoft are looking at error reports and are fully aware of hangs (I can't be just me). For that reason I can't believe that as of today they (you) haven't reached a common solution for all of those problems. As I said they are far too common and not related to a specific site or sites. So please, raise a little bit your game and find a solution quick, I don't want t...

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook 2002

outlook and links in emails

Payroll
Has anyone come across the following error message when attempting to import an excel file for payroll? "Base paycode can only consist of letters." ...

Outlook XP and attachments