OL 2010 Date (Conversation) view

Hi - can't seem to find a way to fix this in Outlook 2010. My Inbox is set up
to group incoming mail by date (Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc). In this
new version, it also groups conversations by subject. I thought this was
pretty cool, however, it groups unrelated conversations. Meaning, if I have
two different senders send me a message, and the subject from both is "Hello"
- all of the emails with that subject heading are grouped together. If the
list is not expanded, it only shows one name in the From field - so, I have
to remember that I had an email from another sender with the same subject and
will have to expand the list to see the other messages. I can't find where to
stop having OL automatically group by subject regardless of who the sender
is. I tried grouping by "received" but, that also include the time, which is
pretty useless. That puts every message it's own group. Any suggestions on
this one? Any other questions? Thanks so much.

You can’t change how the conversation view works in the beta - either learn
to live with it or turn off conversation grouping.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?

"Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - can't seem to find a way to fix this in Outlook 2010. My Inbox is set
> up
> to group incoming mail by date (Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc). In this
> new version, it also groups conversations by subject. I thought this was
> pretty cool, however, it groups unrelated conversations. Meaning, if I
> have
> two different senders send me a message, and the subject from both is
> "Hello"
> - all of the emails with that subject heading are grouped together. If the
> list is not expanded, it only shows one name in the From field - so, I
> have
> to remember that I had an email from another sender with the same subject
> and
> will have to expand the list to see the other messages. I can't find where
> stop having OL automatically group by subject regardless of who the sender
> is. I tried grouping by "received" but, that also include the time, which
> is
> pretty useless. That puts every message it's own group. Any suggestions on
> this one? Any other questions? Thanks so much.

0
Diane
1/26/2010 10:10:55 PM
Tammy wrote:

> ... in Outlook 2010 ...

Microsoft Office 2010 forums
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010
0
VanguardLH
1/27/2010 2:59:27 AM
Hi Diane,

Thanks for your response. I would **love** to turn off "conversation", if I
could figure out how to do it!

Here is what I've tried:
View tab / Current View group / Change View button / <Current view settings>
/ Modify. I have to uncheck "Automatically group according to arrangement" /
Change "Group items by" to (none) / OK / at the Advanced View Settings:
Compact dialog box, "Group by" shows None / OK

When I get back to the "Manage All Views" dialog box, "Compact" is now
selected, and the "Group by" description shows Arrangement label
(descending), Conversation (ascending). So, the "none" that I choose for my
"Group by" option is not sticking.

Figuring that OL considers my "current" view as "Compact" I also tried to
modify the compact view, but the "none" for grouping does not stick.

So, I tried creating a new view: I gave it a name, and went with all of the
defaults - "Group by..." is set to None automatically / OK / Apply view - the
view jumps back to conversation grouping. If I try to modify the new view to
take off the conversation grouping, it does not stay turned off.

All I need is to have my view sorted by received - but, not grouped by time.
Just need the "usual" Today, Yesterday, Last Week, Two Weeks Ago, etc....I do
not want items grouped together by subject or "conversation" - does anyone
know how to set that view up? I don't consider myself a "novice" user of
Outlook, but I can't figure this one out...

If it just can't be done in OL 2010, that's one thing, but it appears that
conversation grouping can be turned off, it just doesn't stay turned off once
you exit the Manage Views dialog box - regardless of what the "description"
says before closing the dialog box.

Thanks for any suggestions.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> You can’t change how the conversation view works in the beta - either learn
> to live with it or turn off conversation grouping.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
>
> "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - can't seem to find a way to fix this in Outlook 2010. My Inbox is set
> > up
> > to group incoming mail by date (Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc). In this
> > new version, it also groups conversations by subject. I thought this was
> > pretty cool, however, it groups unrelated conversations. Meaning, if I
> > have
> > two different senders send me a message, and the subject from both is
> > "Hello"
> > - all of the emails with that subject heading are grouped together. If the
> > list is not expanded, it only shows one name in the From field - so, I
> > have
> > to remember that I had an email from another sender with the same subject
> > and
> > will have to expand the list to see the other messages. I can't find where
> > stop having OL automatically group by subject regardless of who the sender
> > is. I tried grouping by "received" but, that also include the time, which
> > is
> > pretty useless. That puts every message it's own group. Any suggestions on
> > this one? Any other questions? Thanks so much.

Hi VanguardLH -

Thanks so much for that link! Doing a little digging, I found the "start" of
a solution. This made me really look at the Ribbon - somehow I have been
missing the "Conversations" button in the Arrangement group. Actually
modifying a view through the manage dialog box did nothing to fix the
problem. When I clicked the "Received" column heading twice, the view sorted
correctly without the conversation. Unfortunately, conversation view was
turned back on, after exiting OL. Finally found the "Conversations" button on
the Ribbon, and turned that off. Wish I had noticed that button weeks ago!!

Thanks, again, for forwarding that very helpful link. I really appreciate it!

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Tammy wrote:
>
> > ... in Outlook 2010 ...
>
> Microsoft Office 2010 forums
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010
> .

HI Diane,

Just found the "Conversations" button on the Ribbon - while I couldn't
change the view through the manage views dialog box, I could turn off
conversations with the button.

Thanks!

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:

> You can’t change how the conversation view works in the beta - either learn
> to live with it or turn off conversation grouping.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/
>
> Outlook Tips by email:

> Poll: What version of Exchange server do you use?
> http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=33803
>
> "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - can't seem to find a way to fix this in Outlook 2010. My Inbox is set
> > up
> > to group incoming mail by date (Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc). In this
> > new version, it also groups conversations by subject. I thought this was
> > pretty cool, however, it groups unrelated conversations. Meaning, if I
> > have
> > two different senders send me a message, and the subject from both is
> > "Hello"
> > - all of the emails with that subject heading are grouped together. If the
> > list is not expanded, it only shows one name in the From field - so, I
> > have
> > to remember that I had an email from another sender with the same subject
> > and
> > will have to expand the list to see the other messages. I can't find where
> > stop having OL automatically group by subject regardless of who the sender
> > is. I tried grouping by "received" but, that also include the time, which
> > is
> > pretty useless. That puts every message it's own group. Any suggestions on
> > this one? Any other questions? Thanks so much.

Attach OL
I'd like to save certain e-mails I get to a data storage area (example: D:\DataStorageArea) and have the email retrievable to an Access db record. Is there any way I can do this so that the link to the email will open up lets say Word (which is my e-mail editor)? Thanks Phil ...

This should not be so difficult but it is to me re: dates for medi
I"ve been working 2 solid days on trying to just figure out HOW to have two date columns change the way I want them to. I KNOW it must be able to be done in EXCEL but darned if I can figure it out. I have a medicine sheet that has the date I last filled my prescription, then the date it can be filled again. The time is 30 days from the first column of last filled. THIS I think I have figured out how to do for the formula and tie it into the computers calendar. BUT THEN I need that 2nd column to take it's new 30 days back to the first column, so it now becomes the la...

OL 2002 applying rules inconsistently
Hi Does ANYONE have the fix for this: OL 2002/XP pro/POP3 mail A SIMPLE rule gets applied only sometimes automatically, always works manually: "THRU <specified account>:MOVE TO <specified folder>" There are no other rules. Thanks, Ali ...

Office 2010 hase corrupted Office 2007
Didn't like Office 2010 so uninstalled them but now getting error that MSO2007 hasn't been installed. I have a Windows Vista Ultimate, but I wasn't able to find installation for office from my dvd. How do I install them from my vista ultimate dvd? You require an Office cd in order to install it, Office is not on the Vista dvd "Michal" <Michal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7E5FF59-1E89-4B8A-93C2-BFFCC0BA1DBA@microsoft.com... > Didn't like Office 2010 so uninstalled them but now getting error that > MSO2007 hasn't ...

Migrate from Sbs 2003 to Win 2008 Std + Exchange 2010
Hi, I need to migrate my solution from sbs to std. I have 75 client, using file server, domain and exchange mailboxes. i have 2 new server with 2008 std r2 operating system. One for AD, other for Exchange 2010. Sbs server will be dismiss. Is possible migrate user account and mailboxs ? Is possible mantein the same domain name? (if not is not a problem) Have you a documents that explain step by step how to migrate ? Thank you very much Lorenzo Hi Lorenzo: By now there are thousands of references to various migration strategies listed in the various groups and els...

Combining date and time into one cell
I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? Thanks. Date in A1, time in B1, combined in C1: formula is =A1+B1 and format as you describe. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:03:02 -0800, "Kelly C" <KellyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the date (m/dd/yy) in one cell and time (hh:mm) in another cell. How >can I merge these two in one cell with the format m/dd/yy hh:mm ? > >Thanks. =TEXT(A1,"m/dd/yy ")&TEXT(B1,"hh:mm") is one way -- HT...

Date in numeric format
I am trying to format dates in a spreadsheet. These dates are in a mixed format. They change to a five digit format (for e.g. 06/03/2005 is represnted by a five digit no. - 38417). I am unable to sort the date because it is not in the correct format even if I change it to date. Is there any way I can convert these numbers back to the date format therefore allowing me to sort them. Mnay thanks in advance -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Dates are just numbers with a special representation in the spreadsheet. Sorting should work regardless of how they are formatted. -- HTH Bo...

Viewing Query Total in Form
I have a form where I input purchases for customers. I also have a query that I use to make a report as a reciept to show the totals for items input. I have tried to make a text box to show the information from the total field in the query. However when I open the form it says "name?" is thre anyway to show the total from the query? Thank you for your help Chase W. ...

starting OL 2000 with the /prefetch:1 command line switch
I have just become aware of the: /prefetch:1 command line switch to make applications start faster. For some reason, it works on my OE 6 program (and many others I have installed on my Pentium IV PC running XP Home SP2) but not on my OL 2000 program. When I start OL2000 with the following command line: "E:\Microsoft Office\Outlook2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /prefetch:1 I get an error message that says: the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using. Any ideas? Jay J <sonrisa322@comcast.net> wrote: > When I start OL2000 with the follo...

Custom Entity
Ok, we have custom entity new_productmanagmentbase, and new_productmanagementextensionbase are the table names for this entity. These actually have all the fields I like to see, etc. CRM Itself also have two views that it must create while using the interface, etc. View called New_ProductManagement (which has every customization i've ever needed) AND FilteredNew_ProductManagment (which is the security enabled filtered view CRM creates and the one I'd like to use for SQL Reporting Services Obvously). The problem is, that some of the fields that are in the actual tabels (in our...

How do I make OL synchronize w/ current email provider?
I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this correct? And if so, how can I make that happen? In news:62F20161-05A4-464B-8E84-D5DFE6C06AAB@microsoft.com, Karen <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I currently have AOL as my internet provider, and want to become > familiar with Outlook, but did not want it to be my email default, I > thought I could have Outlook synchornize with my AOl email. Is this > correct? ...

Order date logging 02-11-08
I have a database set up that has each one of my customers listed on a different form. For each customer, I would like to be able to enter Date Ordered, Date Completed, and Date Faxed. I have seen this done at the bottom of a form, where there is a box like structure, and there is one line for each order, but different columns for the categories. Everytime you hit enter, it would add another line automatically. How do I go about setting this up? Thank you. If you truly have a different form for each customer, you need to stop here and redesign your database. Off hand, I'd suggest...

Money 2005
I recently upgraded from Money 2000 to 2005 and all seemed to go OK. However, the majority of my Favourite Reports are Bar Charts. In Money 2005, the only option that is not grayed out is the View as Report radio button and I cannot get access to the View as Bar radio button. I have tried a Quick and Standard Repair and also have Advanced Reports switched on. Can anyone shed any light? OK I finally solved the problem by trial and error, plus a lot of wasted time. I choose the Income and Spending Over Time report. This allowed me to 'Change View' to a Bar Chart. From there I ...

DPM 2010 RC and users' profiles
Is there a way to exclude certain common folders from backup of users' profiles? Say I don't want to backup internet explorer cache since there is no point and it changes very frequently... For servers you can use:"Exclude Folders" and "Exclude File Types" filters, for client protection you can add "Exclude" "Temporary Internet files" protection rule while creating Protection group. Same options are available in modify protection group flow also. Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warran...

Default date format #2
I have Excel 2010 (32-bit) in 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. My regional and language settings in Windows have yyyy-MM-dd set in the short date format. Lately, when I enter a date in Excel, it comes up in the form 19-Jan instead of 2012-01-19. I know how to change it, of course, but it's annoying to have to change the format every time I enter a date. I've looked through the options, but I'm not finding the relevant setting. How do I tell Excel 2010 that its default format for dates should match the format set in Windows, which is 2012-01-19? -- Stan Brown, Oak Road...

Shortcuts when entering dates in the Flag For Follow Up
In previous versions of Outlook (2000 and before) I could type in the Due By box something like: "wed 9a" and it would set the reminder for the next Wednesday at 9 a.m., or I could enter "3 days 2p" and it would set it for 3 days hence at 2 p.m., or simply "3p" and it would set it for the next 3 p.m. These "shortcuts" no longer work. Is this a bug or changed functionality? Thanks for your help. ...

OL 2003
win Xp-Office 2003-OL2003. Its been a disaster...the worst ever product I bought. THe OL hangs (not responding). tried to follow all solutions-changed profile, options-other-name corrected, installed- reinstalled, nothing helps. the OL jsut stops responding after opening and the needs to be shut down (with the icon in the tray showing the message of ol server....which O don't use). Any help will be appreciated. Have you also tried this one: You may have a corrupted outcmd.dat file. This is the file that stores your toolbar customizations, and when it becomes corrupted, Outlo...

Upgrading OL 2K SP 3 to OL 2K3
Per subject, I am concerned about what will happen concerning the handling of attachments. In my current version (OL 2K SP 3) Outlook disables the activation of all suspect attatchments. There is NO configuration to change this in this scenario. I know that later versions of OL allowed for an attachment config. Will I be able to do an "upgrade", or will I be forced to remove OL 2K and reinstall OL 2K3 to get this ability? Thanks! -Frank Outlook 2000 (SP3) allows you to customize which attachments you want to see by modifying the registry. Perhaps http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Format a date #2
How can I format a date 01/01/05 to show up as Qrt1, 04/01/05 to show up as Qrt2 and so on? Any help appreciated. Thanks Perhaps an alternative to try: Assuming dates are in col A, A1 down Put in B1: =IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(MONTH(A1),{1,"Qtr1";4,"Qtr2";7,"Qtr3";10,"Qtr4"},2)&", "&TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yy")) Copy B1 down Col B will display what you want -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "sacredarms" <sacredarms@discussions.mic...

how to return a serial number to a date
Example: 40899 Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 above back to 12/22/2011? Thanks, Holly Format the cell as Date -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Holly" <Holly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82F628DD-B506-4A72-B5AC-DF85265ADAB0@microsoft.com... > Example: 40899 > > Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 above back to > 12/22/2011? > > Thanks, Holly "Holly" wrote: > Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899 > above back to 12/22/2011? It would h...

Problem Opening DB for Editing after Conversion to 2002
I had just installed Office XP and tried to open the database to modify the code. Now when I hold the shift and try to open the database for edit, it fires off the application and refuses open in Design view. Is there a new key that I do not know of, or can we not edit the code after we have converted it. TYIA DPC ...

DPM Upgrade to 2010 with domain and storage migration
I have a customer who is doing a major environment rearchitecture. Involved in this is building out a new environment at a new datacenter including: Creating a new domain Installing a new SAN Building a six node Hyper-V cluster in the new domain Rebuilding each application server [with newest version] on the hyper-v cluster, and migrating data across a forest trust and 1gb cross-connect. The DPM server however, is a new box with a LUN from the old SAN running DPM 2007. The customer wants to bring bring that server over to the new datacenter, install Server 2008 R2, DPM 2010 and ...

Turning an image the other way in Publisher 2010 ?
There was an easy way with 2003. Where thats gone I haven't a clue. I want to turn an image which is facing right, to facing left for example - any help ? "Phil" <plk.philk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:sVwzo.30326$MZ3.24527@newsfe29.ams2... > There was an easy way with 2003. Where thats gone I haven't a clue. > I want to turn an image which is facing right, to facing left for > example - any help ? With the resize handles showing press and hold the shift key while grabbing one corner resize handle handle with the mouse cursor. Move the mouse, righ...

Tape Catalogs in DPM 2007 or 2010
I have two questions in regards to tape backup: 1.) Is there a physical limit to how long catalogs can be retained? I realize this dependent on the environment. But let's say you are backing up 30 million files a month (7TB raw) and want to keep the catalogs for about 5 years. Is it just a matter of disk space to keep SQL happy or is there another physical limit? 2.) Can tape catalogs be exported/imported to another DPM server? Or is the only way to either transfer the whole DB to another DPM server or re-catalog the tapes? There is no limit till you keep SQL happy ...

Newbie here
Hi all. I'm new to the group and do very little with excel. I'd like to do the following just to to make my life easier at work. I know about conditional formatting, but what I want to do is a bit too complex for that, I think. Therefore I must need VBA but I've never used it before. Any pointers please? I am doing a sheet which will keep track of the training needs of a group of people. Some training needs to be done once every 6 months, some once a year and some just once every 2 years. So I have names on the left in the rows and each column refers to an item of training....