Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent
backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit
rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
drive.

I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of the
new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find anything
directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration to
a new computer, not a hard drive crash.

I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm not
even sure if I'm describing this correctly!

Does any of this make sense?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Are you sure all your contacts were still in a pab-file?
pab-files have not been in use since Outlook 2000. Support for those files
has only been for backwards compatibility.

If you stored your contacts in the Contacts folder, then your contacts were
stored in a pst-file. If that has been recovered as well, you can reconnect
to it via;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

You can then see what is in there and decide which items you want to copy
over.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Casey785" <Casey785@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no
> recent
> backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery
> outfit
> rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
> months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
> got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
> data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
> drive.
>
> I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
> Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of
> the
> new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
> Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find
> anything
> directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration
> a new computer, not a hard drive crash.
>
> I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
> my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm
> not
> even sure if I'm describing this correctly!
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0
Roady
12/19/2009 11:07:21 AM
pab file has not being used in outlook for some considerable time.
Copy your old outlook data files - the *.pst(s) - to documents folder on
current PC
The largest one, probably named outlook.pst, will probably be your origonal
data file.
Within Outlook, File>Open>Data File........browse to this pst and select it.
You will now have two sets of Personal Folders in Outlook tree view, the old
file being the lower one.
Copy data from this to your current set

"Casey785" <Casey785@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no
> recent
> backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery
> outfit
> rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
> months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
> got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
> data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
> drive.
>
> I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
> Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of
> the
> new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
> Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find
> anything
> directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration
> a new computer, not a hard drive crash.
>
> I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
> my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm
> not
> even sure if I'm describing this correctly!
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0
DL

Importing messages #6

Import and export

Transferring Data With XML?
I'm new at this. What would be the best way to transfer data in XML format from sql server A to remote sql server B? We would like to encrypt the data with ssl which we already have installed on our iis server. -- .. http://sf-f.org, weblog and search engine for fans and writers of speculative fiction. .. ...

Importing data

categories in Outlook
There must be a way to set a default category for use in Outlook? But, I cannot find a method. Can anyone help? Eric ...

OUTLOOK links & pictures
My outlook received e-mails have suddenly stopped displaying pictures and links. Can anyone please help ?? ...

Load Data Under Column Headings
My data are stock prices that I want to use with Metastock. I have as column headers: Date, Stock Name, Open, High, Low, Close, Stock Code. How do I load stock data with their fields under the respective column headings, perhaps, by just clicking on the file name, without using cut & paste. How do I protect the heading row from being overwritten? ...

excel 97 xml import

New Opportunity Product (Error on Page)
We are trying to add products to an opportunity, but when we hit the button "New Opportunity Product" on the Products page of the Opportunity module the only thing we get is an "Error on Page" in the bottom left-hand corner. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, any idea(s) how to fix it? Thanks, Tim Do you have a Price list and matching currency associated to the Opportunity? do you have any javascript running on the Opportunity or Opportunity Product? "Tim" wrote: > We are trying to add products to an opportunity, but when we hit the button &g...

Outlook Express 6 #51
On April 16, I downloaded Window update. I run Windows 98. I was running Outlook Express 5. I updated at the time of the Windows update to OE6. Now when I go to OE I can't open, send any e-mail or open my address book. An error message comes up that says Msimn This program has performed an illegal operation....and it closes OE. How do I fix this? -- Thanks, Cathy Cathy Wing wrote: > On April 16, I downloaded Window update. I run Windows 98. I was running > Outlook Express 5. I updated at the time of the Windows update to OE6. Now > when I go to OE I can't open, send ...

Importing JEs through the Table Import

Export to Outlook 2010
I have the new BETA MS/office. All is good except how do I get my Outlook "07" date into the new BETA Outlook 2010? You open the previous data file, but then you might mean your data is on one PC and you want to open it on a new PC? Not realy enough info "Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92C5E4A4-1EA0-4361-A37A-ADACC890CBC0@microsoft.com... >I have the new BETA MS/office. All is good except how do I get my Outlook > "07" date into the new BETA Outlook 2010? You can connect to an existing pst-file via...

Create New Company Just doesn't happen
In GP 10 sp3 I have a live company RSINC and once had a test company RSTST. I deleted RSTST from Dyanamics GP and destroyed the database. There is no entry in the SY01500 table; it seems all cleared out. I then use GP Utils to create a new RSTST database. When Utils gets to the end of creataing the SQL database successfully, I get a screen asking me to choose one of three options; setup later, use the rapid deployment tool, or migrate. I don't want to bother with the tools, so I choose setup later. There are no other practical options. From there, I have a RSTST database in S...

OutLook 2003 #38
Anyone out there using outlook 2003. I seem to have a problem and not sure why. In the Junkmail Options if you select Safe Lists Only it should only allow items in your lists or in contacts. Well, it lets all mail through even the just mail... Anyone else having this problem? -Mark ...

Importing Dynamic data

outlook attachment question
she attaches a file, it automatically is inserted in the body, as opposed to being an attachment Switch to HTML or Plain Text format; Tools-> Options-> tab Mail Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "nat" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2015401c45872$8ac3cba0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > she attaches a file, it automatically is inserted in the > body, as opposed to being an attachment ...

Importing a CSV file

Outlook 2003 send fine, but does not recieve
I have Outlook 2003 installed and at least twice a day, I get the following error message: Task 'Comcast Email - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).' I have tried ending all processes other than Outlook, with no change. I have tried rebooting with no change. Sometimes it is when I first open Outlook, and sometimes it happens after I have had it open a while. I have talked to Comcast and they do not have any resolution for th...

Import DB from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

create a new formula?
I am using the nested functions below "=if(vlookup(1, GRID, 3,false) = 0, (1, GRID, 4, false), (1, GRID, 3, false))" i.e for the row with the digit one in its first column return the value in the third column else if empty return the value in the fourth column. my problem is i am repeatedly using the line above exactly only changing the value i am searching for (1 in this case )) so ideally i'd like to do something like define myformula(X) = if(vlookup(X, GRID, 3,false) = 0, (X, GRID, 4, false), (X, GRID, 3, false)) is this possible????????? Assuming that the third ...

Outlook Crashing!!
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3689E.34052620 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, My Outlook just started crashing whenever I click on the "Find a = Contact" drop down on the standard toolbar. This is very inconvenient, = since I use this quite often. Any reason and/or fix for this? --=20 Thanks for any help, Craig S. Force Design, Inc. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3689E.34052620 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encodin...