Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no recent
backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery outfit
rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
drive.

I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of the
new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find anything
directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration to
a new computer, not a hard drive crash.

I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm not
even sure if I'm describing this correctly!

Does any of this make sense?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Are you sure all your contacts were still in a pab-file?
pab-files have not been in use since Outlook 2000. Support for those files
has only been for backwards compatibility.

If you stored your contacts in the Contacts folder, then your contacts were
stored in a pst-file. If that has been recovered as well, you can reconnect
to it via;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

You can then see what is in there and decide which items you want to copy
over.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Casey785" <Casey785@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no
> recent
> backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery
> outfit
> rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
> months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
> got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
> data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
> drive.
>
> I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
> Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of
> the
> new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
> Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find
> anything
> directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration
> a new computer, not a hard drive crash.
>
> I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
> my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm
> not
> even sure if I'm describing this correctly!
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0
Roady
12/19/2009 11:07:21 AM
pab file has not being used in outlook for some considerable time.
Copy your old outlook data files - the *.pst(s) - to documents folder on
current PC
The largest one, probably named outlook.pst, will probably be your origonal
data file.
Within Outlook, File>Open>Data File........browse to this pst and select it.
You will now have two sets of Personal Folders in Outlook tree view, the old
file being the lower one.
Copy data from this to your current set

"Casey785" <Casey785@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Background (please bear with me here): I had a hard drive crash and no
> recent
> backup (I know I'm an idiot!). I finally had to have a disk recovery
> outfit
> rescue my data. However, for reasons I won't bore you with, a couple of
> months elapsed between crash and recovery of old data. During that time, I
> got a new drive and reinstalled the programs, like Office 2007. So I have
> data in the newer installation and older data in the previous, recovered
> drive.
>
> I need to get the old personal address book info from a backup of the old
> Outlook 2007 into my new Outlook 2007 .pst folder without losing any of
> the
> new address data. I have tried searching Help and these forums and the
> Answers forums, but I think I have missed something--I cannot find
> anything
> directly related. The Help info seems only to cover a voluntary migration
> a new computer, not a hard drive crash.
>
> I also cannot find a personal address book file (*.pab) anywhere either in
> my backup copy or my newer Outlook installation. As a matter of fact, I'm
> not
> even sure if I'm describing this correctly!
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0
DL

importing Data from access #2
I have been attempting to create a reservation planning form in excel that imports Data from an Access database and inserts that information automaticly into the correct spreed sheet and the correct cells within that worksheet. The Excel Book is made up of 12 worksheets named Jan-Dec. Each worksheet has columns labeled as each day of that month. Column 'A' is reserved for 19 rows named "room1 - room19". The data I am importing from the data base is " start date", "end date" and "room number". I am also importing " surname" which i have ...

Two Personal Folders in Outlook 2003
I moved my .PST file from my old PC that was using Outlook 98 to my new XP driven PC that uses Office and Outlook 2003. I had to rename the .PST from PERSONAL to OUTLOOK in order to get it work. Trouble is there are two (2) PERSONAL FOLDERS in Outlook 2003 that are identical, except for different icons. One icon looks like a "house", the other looks like a "card or address file". Any suggestions on how to get rid of one of these would be greatly appreciated. I'm over my head, and Microsoft's support areas are no help. Thanks. Ben Collins If you can&#...

To add a new entry into Database
can you assist me in adding a new entry into the database. I'm using MS Access and ODBC driver and i'm getting error for the function RecordSet::AddNew(); error: 'CRecordset::AddNew' : illegal call of non-static member function. Thank you in advance regards Jayanth jayanth wrote: > can you assist me in adding a new entry into the database. I'm using MS > Access and ODBC driver and i'm getting error for the function > RecordSet::AddNew(); > error: 'CRecordset::AddNew' : illegal call of non-static member > function. > > Thank you in adva...

Importing into Oulook beta
Had backup installed on outlook 2003. This transferred to Outlook Beta fine when I transferred. Used it to back-up all Outlook files. Have just re-formatted. Now........ 1. Can't install Outlook Backup from Microsoft site. - it says that Outlook isn't found on my computer. 2. If I try to import the .PST file, (not using Backup) it locks up and after that, the cursor disappears behind Outlook window. Only redemable using system restore. I want to get my folders, mail and settings back. Any ideas? Nick NOTTNICK <nmm457@bellows.org.uk.nospam> wrote: > Now........ > ...

VBA for NotInList return to old record or BeforeUpdate value
I have a unbound combo box to find a record on a form. it is basically wizard created code. if the ID is NotInList the form jumps to a random record and the combo still displays the Invalid ID giving the impression the correct record is selected. i tried to add a message box which pops up but the form maintains the same behavior. After the message box is confirmed i would like everything to remain on whatever record was previously selected before the Invalid ID was entered Private Sub Form_Current() Me.SelectByPN_Combo = Me.TRKID 'Updates SelectByPN_Combo when navigation ...

Outlook 2003 Shortcuts #6
You experienced peolple have probably heard it all before, but I can't find a solution. I have always used Outlook 2000 and like the Outlook bar. I have tried to replicate this in Outlook 2003 by using the Shortcuts option and changing the WunderBar option to 6 etc. However, the registry keeps changing itself back to 0. The second problem is that I don't see the shortcuts list in Calendar. Does anyone have any ideas please? ...

Importing Campaign Responses Data in row did not match the import
We are struggling to understand how to importing Campaign Responses using the bulk import wizard. We receive the errors: Reason: Data in row did not match the import type Reason ID: 0x8004032d Please could someone help us diagnose where the problem lies? Thanks Hi, It is very difficult to help you with just this information. We will need some more information to give you helpful suggestions. like whts are the fields, type of file, mapping to which fields and other details. Following URL may be helpful to you. http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/troubleshooting/tsbulkimport.msp...

Outlook not sending/recieving
Hi I run winXP with Outlook 2003 My outlook has suddenly stopped sending or recieving. My POP setting are the same as before. I have a broadband connection. It has never not worked before? Any ideas? thanks Have you tested your account settings? Tried removing and re-installing your account? Has your ISP changed any port settings? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, John Calder asked: | Hi | | I...

Sending Current Data Record in Form
I have created a form which I want to be filled in and send via email. I have uncovered the email commands but I am having issues in that when I make the call to fill the form, all my records are being filled-in WHEN I only want the current one to be generated. How can I do this? bqs wrote: > I have created a form which I want to be filled in and send via email. I > have uncovered the email commands but I am having issues in that when I make > the call to fill the form, all my records are being filled-in WHEN I only > want the current one to be generated. > > How ...

outlook 2007 appcrash
I keep getting the below error in outlook 2007..can someone help.. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 12.0.6423.1000 Application Timestamp: 49b08185 Fault Module Name: olmapi32.dll Fault Module Version: 12.0.6423.1000 Fault Module Timestamp: 49b08045 Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 000126cc OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3 Locale ID: 1033 Additional information about the problem: LCID: 1033 Brand: Office12Crash skulcid: 1033 That happen when doing what? Start with t...

Partial Copying to New Worksheet in same Workbook
Hi, again. I have a worksheet with a lot of data going across. If I want to look at data on the far right, I have to scroll all the time. I thought it would be easier to, say, divide the worksheet into thirds and put each third into a separate worksheet in the same workbook. That way I could just click on the tab to view the data. The problem I'm having is that I keep getting the #ref error. Yes, I have all sorts of formulas and stuff, but shouldn't you just be able to copy to another sheet and have it work? What is the easiest solution? Thanks, Frank West Hi Frank Are you s...

How do you add a logo and name to the footer of your Outlook mess.
How do you customize Outlook to make a defalt stationary with a name and logo at the footer? ...

how do i make a chart with two seperate lines of data?
hi i have a historical sales chart from Mar 2003 to present that i'm trying to graph. however, excel is making me keep the data in one straight line if i try to seperate it into two rows, it adds another bit to the chart how do i graph sales using two seperate lines of data? Hi, This is best done in 2 steps. Create the chart with the first set of data. Then use the Source Data dialog to reselect the 2 data ranges, using the CTRL key to select the 2 separate ranges. So for data that is in the range A1:E1 continued in A2:E2 you would end up with a series formula like this, =SERIE...

Item Import in MS POS
Is it Possible to import Items from CSV or TXT to POS (not RMS) thanks, Yes, there's an inventory import wizard that does this. It's in the manager application - the help guide will give you addl info on this. "Sachafav" wrote: > Is it Possible to import Items from CSV or TXT to POS (not RMS) > > thanks, > ...

How import MSWorks spreadsheet to Excel
I am using Exel 2000 and want to impoort a spreadsheet from MSWorks, but I can't seem to find out how. Can't these two MS programs talk to each other? No, they can't talk to each other. It's a Microsoft marketing issue, they don't want Works to compete with Office, so you have to do a "save as" in Works. "BillAtt" wrote: > I am using Exel 2000 and want to impoort a spreadsheet from MSWorks, but I > can't seem to find out how. Can't these two MS programs talk to each other? Thank you; I think that will help me. "dlw" wrot...

Changing sender's name in Outlook Express
The Outlook Express program for our Lodge was set up by our former secretary. HIS name appears as the sender on all email I send out. How can I change this so that our Lodge name will appear, and not any individual's name? Would appreciate an email reply to lodge99@(remove)cell2000.net as well as a posting if possible. Thanks! Mike You can change this in your account settings; Tools-> Accounts Note that this is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://com...

Import pst file from Outlook til OE 6.0?
I'm trying to import pst files from Outlook til Outlook xpress 6.0. I get the message "can not import from the MAPI client..." -- Regards Gjermund Unless you also have Outlook on that machine, you won't be able to import the PST files. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "Gjermund A. Bjordal" <gjermund.bjordal@online.no> wrote in messag...

Recurring Meetings Imported from Domino
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C583A2.DFFFC8B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Background: Users were migrated from Domino R5 to Exchange 2003 SP1. Problem: When users cancel a recurring meeting that was created in = Domino and imported into Exchange each listed attendee receives multiple = copies of the cancellation, somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 copies. = This behavior is limited to meetings that were imported from Domino. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why th...

Import Historical Stock Data from Yahoo-Finance
For a long time I thought this was not possible, but I just read a post recently that makes me think that this probably IS possible. Is there a way to import data from finance.yahoo.com, into a table, if you store all stock symbols in a table, and put beginning and ending date in a form (in a couple of TextBoxes)? I know how to do this in Excel, with all stock tickers in a row, like row 4 (or whatever), and all the dates going in descending order in Column A, and each security’s historical prices under the symbols (which are in row 4, for instance). The problem in Access i...

Outlook Today #7
I recently installed Office 2000 on a laptop running Windows XP Pro. I am having trouble opening the customize outlook today menu. When I open the Outlook Today Folder, the Customize Outlook Today button appears. When I click on the Customize Outlook Today Button, the menu does not appear. I reinstalled the program but that did not fix the problem. Any solutions??????????????? Thanks Bill OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 Really, is it that hard to use...

Outlook 2000 #100
When I send message with (program in VFP 7.0) with outlook express default i get to send message, but with outlook 2000 i get path not found Thank you ...

Deactivated contacts show up under accounts
When I look at the contacts listed under an account, deactivated contacts also show up. This is confusing as it includes duplicate accounts that have been merged. -- scoan I am having a similar problem, I have created a custom view for our database manager to use - but she sees all the deactivated records as well. If we select "active records" that fixes it but she loses the custom view - and i cant see where in the custom view setup box to show only "active records" There is a filter but it is more aimed at fields... -- Brendon Reid "scoan" wrote: &...

Importing SunOne Calendar Events?
Anyone have luck importing SunOne Calendar items? Our method seems to import them but then they end up with features greyed out if you want to modify them. Thanks ...

covert outlook 2003 pst to a 2002 pst
to all.. how do i convert a unicode pst file from outlook 2003 to a pst file that will be compatible with outlook 2002? thanks.. david Create a new PST file in the "Outlook 97-2002" format and copy the information into it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "david runge" <d_run_forever@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:14cc01c3df88$06f3c090$a401280a@phx.gbl... > to all.. > > how do i convert a unicode pst file from outlook 2003 to a > pst file that will be compatible with outlook 2002? > > thanks.. > > david ...

How to sort colored data
People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or filter to consolidate just the row with the red text or cell color. What are my options? Bob See http://cpearson.com/excel/SortByColor.htm In article <3F3CF8FE-3490-4080-B435-483AA4508F26@microsoft.com>, Bob <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > People keep giving me large reports and highlighting the pertinent rows or > changing the color of the text. Unfortunately I have now way to sort or > filter to consoli...