How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?

Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating.
When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst
file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse
about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've
tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via
LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have
also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so
something did go wrong with the file system.

I use Plaxo (www.plaxo.com) to synchronize contacts, calendar, tasks and
notes with another pc and the data is also saved with Plaxo so I have
everything but the emails.

How do I make Outlook move the current outlook.pst file to a position as a
former pst file which can still be accessed and create a new outlook.pst to
use as the standard file?

I'm using Outlook 2007, Windows XP Media Center with all updates and service
packs available. NTFS file system on the hdd.

I've seen other posts here referring to 3rd party products to recover data,
but seriously, this file corruption thing has been an issue since I began
working with pc's and Microsoft products over a decade ago, how come the only
program available to help, scanpst.exe fails so quickly, is it still a big
surprise to Microsoft that this is likely to happen with the current
technologies so make products that are capable of dealing with it?

"htohlsen" <htohlsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How do I make Outlook move the current outlook.pst file to a position as a
> former pst file which can still be accessed and create a new outlook.pst to
> use as the standard file?

Open the Mail applet in Control Panel, use the Data Files button to add a new
data file and the Set as Default button to make it the delivery location.
Then whet you start Outlook, the new PST will contain your default folders and
the old PST will be a secondary PST.

> I've seen other posts here referring to 3rd party products to recover data,
> but seriously, this file corruption thing has been an issue since I began
> working with pc's and Microsoft products over a decade ago, how come the
> only
> program available to help, scanpst.exe fails so quickly, is it still a big
> surprise to Microsoft that this is likely to happen with the current
> technologies so make products that are capable of dealing with it?

I suspect that in the near future, since Microsoft will be making the internal
format of the PST public, there will be great recovery tools available.  I
doubt Microsoft will dedicate any additional effort to enhance SCANPST.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian
3/10/2010 3:05:02 PM

"Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Open the Mail applet in Control Panel, use the Data Files button to add a new
> data file and the Set as Default button to make it the delivery location.
> Then whet you start Outlook, the new PST will contain your default folders and
> the old PST will be a secondary PST.

Thank you very much, that did the trick.

I'm wondering why you can't access this from inside Outlook but have to go
through the control panel to get at it, being able to do it in Outlook would
make sense.

> I'm wondering why you can't access this from inside Outlook but have to go
> through the control panel to get at it, being able to do it in Outlook would
> make sense.

You could do this from within Outlook as well.  Tools>Account Settings>Data
Files takes you to the same place.  After adding the new PST and making it the
default, you need to stop and restart Outlook.  I prefer to do it while
Outlook isn't loaded, that's all.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

0
Brian

Moving license to a new computer

Formatting Problem-Highlighting a cell when date has expired past current date
Hi, I'm currently trying to set up a sheet that highlights when current certificate has expired. When a user enters a date in a cel and as time passes, that date expires, I'd like to highlight the cel and ideally make it automatically say the word expired instead of th date. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi for highlighting the cell you can use conditional formating: - select your cell - goto 'Format - Conditional format' - enter the formula (if A1 is your cell) =A1>TODAY() - choose your format...

Factory pressed dvd movies, ps2, psp, xbox, xbox 360 backups for sale !!!
We're offering all the latest factory pressed high quality dvd movies, ps2, psp xbox and xbox 360 silvers with factory printed colour inserts at fantastic prices, whether for personal use or reselling. We're shipping worldwide with various shipping methods. For resellers, please contact us for bulk discounts. For a complete list and prices, please email us at glory@spankthedonkey.com (Please state the type of list that you want and tell us your location as the prices varies for different locations. If you're reseller, please state the quantity you wish to order per shipment and w...

reference a cell AND its format in a new cell
Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want A2 to show not only the 5 but I also want it to preserve and show the same formatting that was applied to A1. Thanks in advance for the help. Formulas don't do this kind of thing. You could copy|Paste???? TiChNi wrote: > > Seems like there would be a simple way to reference a cell and any > formatting it has. For example, A1=5 and the 5 is underlined and in > red. The entry in A2 is =A1 and I want ...

Safe to Move?

Critical OE/Outlook Backup Files
Greetings. Would one of you knowledgable MPV's kindly tell me which OE/Outlook files should be backed up so I don't lose any of my address book, folders, or data from both programs. I am in need of reinstalling my OS (XP) and don't want to lose any of my important names, folders, documents, etc. Your assistance is much appreciated. Outlook: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook Express: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -P...

Setting Error #VALUE,#REF,#NAME, etc.
I am working on a work book that I want to use as a template. How do I hide all of the errors for the formulas in the cells that appear before the data is entered to make the formula function. What would be the best approach? "Gulfman100" <Gulfman100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F893F2B5-13AF-4AE0-AB48-92DB4571A39E@microsoft.com... >I am working on a work book that I want to use as a template. How do I hide > all of the errors for the formulas in the cells that appear before the > data > is entered to make the formula function. What would be...

ShellExecute, WinExec, not launching as a current user...
Hi, I have a service that pretty much does nothing apart from launching an application from time to time, for backup purposes. But a service is launched as 'SYSTEM', (as user), and as when it starts the application it starts it as 'SYSTEM', (not as the 'Current User'). But, because of the registry and multy-users i want the application to be launched as 'Current User', any idea on how i could achieve that? Many thanks Sims Hello Sims! On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:55:46 +0200, Sims wrote: > I have a service that pretty much does nothing apart from launching...

Exchange 5.5 clients cannot see the new user fr Outlook Global Add
Hi to All, Please we need help! We have 4 branches with different domain. 2 branch is using Exchange 5.5 and 2 others are using Exchange 2000. Our Problem is when we configured one account in Exchange 2000 it can't be seen in 2 Exchange 5.5 Global Address. This mail is use for internal use only and it is not connected to internet. Thanks in Advanced! Emslan Did you configure Active Directory Connector to synchronize between your AD and Exchange 5.5 directory? Exchange 2000 uses AD for its directory store but Exchange 5.5 uses its own directory. "emslan" <emslan@d...

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Money 2003 restoring a backup asking for a password that does't ex
I have microsoft money 2003 at my work and would like to have the same data there in my home. So i made a backup, put on a pendrive and brought it to home. Installed microsoft money 2003 in my home and tried to restore this backup. Money 2003 insists asking a password that does not exist in the original backup file. I already tried to use the repair tool and didn't work. So, what i have to do to make the backup work and does not ask a password that does not exists? Thankyou In microsoft.public.money, Calil wrote: >I have microsoft money 2003 at my work and would like to have the sa...

Creating a new worksheet from a template
I would like to press a button on one worksheet and create a ne worksheet that conforms to a template. However: 1) this is for a series of people who do not work centrally and who ar not technical i.e. the solution needs to be self-contained within m workbook and not involve the creation of xlst templates that have t sit in a certain place on the hard drive. 2) These worksheets will have a series of fields that relate t 'activities'. The user can chose to spawn worksheets for one or mor activities. I would like a summary sheet to add all the activit information from as many activit...

Moving Exchange 2000

Re: PST file problems
>> "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" Perhaps this has something to do with Outlook web services in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode? How could this affect a PTS file or PST import? FWIW, the original archive files were not created while in Corporate or Workgroup/Exchange mode. Any answers? please include connarch@yahoo.com in any reply -- Pierre Levesque, AIA c. 917.577.8780 "Pierre Levesque, AIA" <pierrelevesque@connarch.com> wrote in message news:... > > "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.co...

Setting up a new user
I'm experimenting with Exchange server 2003 in a lab environment. I've got one user set up and able to access his mailbox. I then created a second user on the server. When I try to connect to his mailbox from a client PC, Outlook tells me: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file". What the heck does that mean? How do I do what it is asking? The client PC is running XP Pro, and I did restart it and log on to the...

Moving Pages between two publications

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Exporting to PST
We're using Exchange 5.5 and are getting ready to move to Exchange 2003. This is a fresh install and not a migration as we're redoing our domain structure. The problem is that I cannot export from the Exchange server to a pst file using Outlook, no matter who the user is the same error always comes up "Some items could not be copied. They were either moved or deleted, or access was denied". However I can manually copy the items. I need to be able to export the users mailboxes to a pst so I can pull them back in to Exchange 2003. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Multiple Outlook Sessions With Unique PST's
Hi there, I want to set up two different Outlook PST's and have two Outlook icons - one that will open Outlook with the first PST and one that will open Outlook with the second PST. I don't need to run them simultaneously. I just want to be able to have the two instances of Outlook be totally separate from each other. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance. James Seperate Profiles? Use the mail applet in the control panel to create a new profile, prompt for profile, and add or create a new pst "James Martin" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message news...