How can I add the "open with" as a choice to Outlook menus?

A co-worker with a mac sends me a .txt file attachment.  If I 'preview' the
file in Outlook, all the formatting is fine.  However, if I open the
attachment (default is to open a .txt file with notepad), the formatting is
lost.  I know I can either:

1)  save the file to disk, and then from Windows explorer, do an "open with"
to open it with Wordpad.

2)  Change the file type associatein for .txt files so they will always open
with wordpad.

I don't like either of these choices.  Option 1 adds extra steps (I may not
want to save the file at all!).  Option 2 isn't right, either.  I don't
always want to use wordpad if notepad is sufficient.

I would RATHER have "open with" as a choice directly within Outlook (any app
actually, but Outlook would be a good start...) .  Anyone know how to add
"open with" as a menu choice?

(fixed a typo...)

"StevieP" wrote:

> A co-worker with a mac sends me a .txt file attachment.  If I 'preview' the
> file in Outlook, all the formatting is fine.  However, if I open the
> attachment (default is to open a .txt file with notepad), the formatting is
> lost.  I know I can either:
>
> 1)  save the file to disk, and then from Windows explorer, do an "open with"
> to open it with Wordpad.
>
> 2)  Change the file type association for .txt files so they will always open
> with wordpad.
>
> I don't like either of these choices.  Option 1 adds extra steps (I may not
> want to save the file at all!).  Option 2 isn't right, either.  I don't
> always want to use wordpad if notepad is sufficient.
>
> I would RATHER have "open with" as a choice directly within Outlook (any app
> actually, but Outlook would be a good start...) .  Anyone know how to add
> "open with" as a menu choice?
Outlook can only use the default application.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

"StevieP" <StevieP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> (fixed a typo...)
>
> "StevieP" wrote:
>
>> A co-worker with a mac sends me a .txt file attachment.  If I 'preview'
>> the
>> file in Outlook, all the formatting is fine.  However, if I open the
>> attachment (default is to open a .txt file with notepad), the formatting
>> is
>> lost.  I know I can either:
>>
>> 1)  save the file to disk, and then from Windows explorer, do an "open
>> with"
>> to open it with Wordpad.
>>
>> 2)  Change the file type association for .txt files so they will always
>> open
>> with wordpad.
>>
>> I don't like either of these choices.  Option 1 adds extra steps (I may
>> not
>> want to save the file at all!).  Option 2 isn't right, either.  I don't
>> always want to use wordpad if notepad is sufficient.
>>
>> I would RATHER have "open with" as a choice directly within Outlook (any
>> app
>> actually, but Outlook would be a good start...) .  Anyone know how to add
>> "open with" as a menu choice?

0
Diane

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

open without new worksheet
Is there a way to open excel 2000 or excel xp, or excel 2003, without it opening a new blank worksheet? This would be opening excel from the exe or its shortcut. Add the -e option to the command line in the shortcut you use to start Excel. Steve. purplehaz wrote > Is there a way to open excel 2000 or excel xp, or excel 2003, without it > opening a new blank worksheet? This would be opening excel from the exe or > its shortcut. > > Cool, that did it. Thanks. "Steve" <Steve@xxx.co.nz> wrote in message news:3fcf622e$1@news.maxnet.co.nz... > Add the -e op...

Trial by Deluxe, Open with Standard?
I downloaded and tried the trial version of MS Money 2003 Deluxe, but Deluxe has no features that I use. BTW, I only tried the 2003 version because I lost the CD for my 2002 version which I was perfectly happy with. Anyway, will the Standard version open a file that has been used by the Deluxe versions? Thanks, Ethan Supposedly yes. Anything you'd setup to use the Deluxe features will just be lost in Std. If your are going to buy a copy and haven't yet, two words of advice: 1) If you get a good price, like $17 at Sam's Club after rebate, the difference in price is almost non-...

Excel files open with OpenOffice
What could be lost when opening Excel files with Open Office? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Formats of cells,macros, sizes change etc... In article <O7T3o8JeDHA.2312@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "BS" <burcinsarihan@yahoonospam.please> wrote: >Formats of cells,macros, sizes change etc... I had some formulas change when loading xl 5 files into OO (1.1 I think). Suggest you check anything important. That said, I love OO :) Bruce...

Excel wont open with Norton and 3G running
Hi I have cross posted this message as I don't have a clue where the problem is. One of my users has a Sony TX mini laptop (only a few weeks old). On there, he has Office 2000, Norton Security Centre, and an O2 3G card. Under certain conditions, Excel refuses to open. The conditions are as follows. 1. O2 3G card and program running, NAV running, cannot open Excel. 2. O2 3G card and program running, NAV disabled, can open Excel. 3. O2 3G card and program not running, NAV running, can open Excel. This problem only started today. The user has shutdown fully and re-started, to no avail...

Backup will not open with Money 2006
Hey all ... I finally got past the passport login with my friends money backup file .... however now Money is saying the backup may be corrupted. It comes back with this message on ALL the backups I try to open. What's weird is that is says the converted .mny file (from backup) may be corrupted .... but the converted file is never available on the hard drive (apparently money doesn't write it out because it has found it to be corrupt?)... so I can't work with it or try to salvage it. Any ideas on what might be wrong with these backups or what I could do to fix? Thanks very much in...

OPEN WITH "MY SHORTCUTS"
How do I get Outlook 2000 to open with "My Shortcuts" instead of the default "Outlook Shortcuts"? Please, you don't have to shout (ALL CAPS). I don't see any easy option to do what you want. But if 2000 is similar to 2002, you might want to try opening your My Shortcuts group and clicking and dragging each item up until it jumps into the Outlook Group. Do the same with the Outlook Shortcut items dragging them down into the My Shortcuts Group. Then right click each tabs and rename the group. >-----Original Message----- > >How do I get Outlook 200...

Manulipate "Open With" Menu
How can I manipulate the "Open With" menu in Windows 7? I have applications I would like to have an option to use on certain types of data, and "Open With" seems like the perfect solution if I could only add my choice to the list. For example, use VLC to watch a .iso move file. Windows 7 only gives a choice to burn the .iso file to my DVD burner and I would like to ad an application like VLC to the "Open With" list so I have the option to also watch the move. Thanks. In article <549E3A2A-1AEC-4D47-943A-DCE6A3842AAB@microsoft.com>, gcat...

why wont an excel doc open with new msn office
i have just got a new comp with the new microsoft woeks on it, word doc if differant, and a few other things but an excel doc was sent to me an it will not open it ???????? Hi MS Works is a 'light' version of Office, containing a 'light' version of Excel and a 'light' version of Word. You cannot open Excel or Word files with Works. You'll have to get the files saved as .csv or .txt or a Works file to be able to open them with Works. Andy. "peterk4" <peterk4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53597904-F529-4E67-BC56-D957C375779...

Slow To Open with Linked Tables
I have Access 2000 database with 87 linked tables. Everything works fine when I open the database with Access 2003 But when I try to open the same database with Access 2007 it takes several minutes before the custom Form shows up. I have applied all of the services packs to Acess 2007. Does anyone know what could be causing the slowdown or how to fix it? A database without any linked table opens up fast in Access 2007. -- Peter Thank You Hi, could be plenty of reasons, check - how underlying query opens, if you have comboboxes loaded with lot of data - this could b...

publisher wont open with out cd
I have done a full install (run all from computer) of both discs of Office 2000 pro. When I try to open publisher though, it says it is trying to install the program and to insert the cd. If I put in the cd it works fine. Only publisher is doing this, everything else opens fine. Any ideas? thanks Have you tried a Repair? -- JoAnn Paules - MVP Microsoft Publisher "emily" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d20801c4231d$bb476aa0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have done a full install (run all from computer) of > both discs of Office 2000 pr...

text files open with all data in first column
When I open a text file using Excel, I get the wizard and open it with no problems. But if someone else tries to open it at their workstation, they can not open it, all the data is in the first column >>they can not open it, all the data is in the first column They can't open the file and yet they get data? Basically, if a text file has a CSV extension it should open without the Text Import Wizard and parse automatically by commas or semicolons, whichever is the list separator character under Window Regional Settings on the machine. Otherwise (any other extension) the TIW s...

double click open with related subform
Hi. This is the makeup of my databse: 3 related tables: CANDIDATES (Unique identifyer = CandidateID) POSITIONS (Unique identifyer = PositionID) INTERVIEW (Unique identifyer = PositionID, CandidateID) I have created a a datasheet view form (MfrmCandidates) with a related subtable (POSITIONS - subfrmPositions) in it. When the user opens up the database, they see a list with key identifying fields for CANDIDATES. When they click on the "plus" for that candidate, they see all POSITIONS (a list with key identifying fields), that that candidate has applied to. I have set it u...

how to add publisher to my "open with" list
Hi All I have tried various ways even open zip but I cannot add the Publisher program to the list. I have not had to use the list before today and did not realise they had taken away so of the normal programs the list. I am currently using Publisher to design a simple web page so I know it is working. Now I have a pps file that I want to save into my picture folder. i saved it to the desktop as I had previously done in Office 2003 but it was not in the list when I right clicked on the folder. I have tried opening the pps file with Media and Gallery to no avail. I am not a technical pers...

OPEN WITH SPECIFIC ADD INS
i want to be able to specify different profiles of excel, does anyone know how to do that? I have many different add ins in excel, so if i can specify which addins i want on each instance of excel, and then name them... i wouldn't have to open every single addin every time i opened excel. a colleague mentioned that it is possible to name different 'profiles' of excel and then open them up under different names... and different addins can be loaded to the various profiles... is that possible? i think it's done similar to opening in safe mode... like excel.exe /safe at the run...

open with default program for xlsx documents is missing
I can save the documents fine, but when I go to open them their is NO default program to open any xlsx document. Have searched and can't find it. Try this Click Start>Run then type in the box "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /regserver On my PC I use "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Excel.exe" /regserver "ddb1955" wrote: > I can save the documents fine, but when I go to open them their is NO default > program to open any xlsx document. Have searched and can't find it. ...

Open with command button
Hello, I'm trying to use a command button on a form to open an existing Excel spreadsheet. I can seem to get the code right to open the application. Any suggestions? TIA Owen Private Sub CommandButton1_click() Workbooks.Open "C:\My Documents\MyFile.xls" End Sub or do you mean you are trying to do this in VB (the programming language) rather than VBA in Excel. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy Owen Wilson <ojw@havenssteel.com> wrote in message news:2b3301c374a6$0e8b4ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > I'm trying to use a command button on a form to open...

Make Outlook Open with News?
Could anyone tell me how I could make Outlook open with the newsreader be default? Thank you. Outlook is not a newsreader. Do you mean Outlook Express? You can add the "outnews" or "newsonly" switch to the command line on any shortcut to OE (msimn.exe) to open OE in newsreader only mode. In the Open box, type the following line, and then click OK: "drive:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /option -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "tech27" <tech27@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message news:bJKUd.48622$NC6.32762@newsread1.mlpsca01.us....

How can I add the "open with" as a choice to Outlook menus?
A co-worker with a mac sends me a .txt file attachment. If I 'preview' the file in Outlook, all the formatting is fine. However, if I open the attachment (default is to open a .txt file with notepad), the formatting is lost. I know I can either: 1) save the file to disk, and then from Windows explorer, do an "open with" to open it with Wordpad. 2) Change the file type associatein for .txt files so they will always open with wordpad. I don't like either of these choices. Option 1 adds extra steps (I may not want to save the file at all!). Option...

How do I get excel to always open with a maximized window
For some reason, lately when excel starts, it starts with the window very small. How do I set it to that all the windows open as maximized windows. I think xl likes to "help" you by remember what you did last. If the worksheet window was saved less than maximized, it'll open less than maximized -- but only if you don't have the current worksheet window maximized. I'd try creating a new workbook. Maximize every window that you want maximized. Then close the workbook and excel. (delete that test workbook when you're done.) Stacymm wrote: > > For some r...

Syntax for Workbooks.Open with a Variable + String
Using XL 2003 & 97 Would like to use a variable (WBPath) for the file path, and add to it, a filename and use all of it to open a workbook. I am simplifying the data below - meaning that I need to use a variable for the path. ......... ......... Dim WBPath As String WBPath = Workbooks("myFile.xls").Path ......... ......... (Cannot get the correct syntax for the following:) Set OldWkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=WBPath & "myFile.xls") ......... ......... TIA for your time and knowledge, Dennis Maybe you just need the \ Set OldWkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename...

publisher 95 document won't open with 98
Hi, I have some documents that took a great deal of time to make which are suddenly necessary to access again. I have since upgraded to XP, and have Publisher 98 on my machine. I get "...is not a valid win32 application" if I click on the document in windows explorer. When I open 98 and try to open the documents, I get "Publisher cannot open earlier "publisher cannot open files from a different version". I tried to change the "open with" setting to publisher 98, and it still doesn't work. I also can't seem to find my old publisher 95 disc. I hope ...

change "open with" association in an outlook message
Greetings, I regularly receive an email from someone with an .xls attachment. I know that I can save the file and then open it through excel, but I was wondering if there is a way to change the "open with" association, so I can just right click and open it without saving it? When I right click the attachment, it doesn't give me the 'open with' option, and if I just open the file, it opens in .txt (for some reason?) and is a bunch of garbledygook. thanks! This is a function of Windows and not an issue with Outlook. You'll have to set the .xls extension to...

Unable open file with SP-3 but can open with Excel SP-1
Guys, I am having issues opening a file using Excel Sp-3 that was created with Excel SP-1. I can open it in Excel SP-1. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks John Hi what happens exactly? >-----Original Message----- >Guys, > >I am having issues opening a file using Excel Sp-3 that was created with >Excel SP-1. I can open it in Excel SP-1. Any ideas what could be causing >this? > >Thanks > >John > > >. > Basically it crashes and ask is you want to send an error report to Microsoft. John. "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet...

Email Open with App Closed
Does anyone know if you can keep an individual email open but close the Outlook Application? No. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "Lori" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46ba01c4906b$1138ebe0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if you can keep an individual email open > but close the Outlook Application? ...