Getting e-mails from "agentserver@ent.brassring.com"

I keep getting e-mails from   "agentserver@ent.brassring.com"

And these have an attachment called   13900_7324018_Attach.htm (845 B).

I still haven't opened the attachments, and I keep deleting the e-mail when
I get it, but then I get it again.

Any ides what this is about?  And if it might be a virus?

I have Office Professional, and I use Outlook as my default e-mail, and have
Vista Ultimate.

Thanks in advance.

0
Octavio

Which mail account type are you using?
If POP3, do you have Outlook configured to leave a copy on the server?
If so, log on to your web based mailbox and see if you received it multiple
times there as well.
If that is the case, then this message simply has been sent to you multiple
times.

The message itself appears to be junk though, so simply delete it if the
Junk E-mail filter didn't catch it already.

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"Octavio" <inquirer@inquirer.com> wrote in message
> I keep getting e-mails from   "agentserver@ent.brassring.com"
>
> And these have an attachment called   13900_7324018_Attach.htm (845 B).
>
> I still haven't opened the attachments, and I keep deleting the e-mail
> when I get it, but then I get it again.
>
> Any ides what this is about?  And if it might be a virus?
>
> I have Office Professional, and I use Outlook as my default e-mail, and
> have Vista Ultimate.
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Roady
1/22/2010 11:52:00 AM
"Octavio" wrote:

> I keep getting e-mails from   "agentserver@ent.brassring.com"
>
> And these have an attachment called   13900_7324018_Attach.htm (845 B).
>
> I still haven't opened the attachments, and I keep deleting the e-mail when
> I get it, but then I get it again.
>
> Any ides what this is about?  And if it might be a virus?
>
> I have Office Professional, and I use Outlook as my default e-mail, and have
> Vista Ultimate.
>
> Thanks in advance.

There are dozens of sites that can check for a Virus. Simply save the
attachment and upload it to a site for inspection. A few examples:

http://www.virustotal.com/
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
https://submit.symantec.com/websubmit/retail.cgi

The attachment extension would seem to indicate that it might be some sort
of PHISHING exploit however. You always forward me the attachment. I don't
use a Windows based OS so I am immune from being infected with a VIRUS.

--
Carmel

Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

> I don't use a Windows based OS so I am immune from being infected with a
> VIRUS.
No you're not; it means you are immune for most Windows based viruses. Also
note that phishing doesn't have to do anything with getting infected by a
virus and is not restricted to any platform.

--

"Carmel" <Carmel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Octavio" wrote:
>
>> I keep getting e-mails from   "agentserver@ent.brassring.com"
>>
>> And these have an attachment called   13900_7324018_Attach.htm (845 B).
>>
>> I still haven't opened the attachments, and I keep deleting the e-mail
>> when
>> I get it, but then I get it again.
>>
>> Any ides what this is about?  And if it might be a virus?
>>
>> I have Office Professional, and I use Outlook as my default e-mail, and
>> have
>> Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> There are dozens of sites that can check for a Virus. Simply save the
> attachment and upload it to a site for inspection. A few examples:
>
> http://www.virustotal.com/
> http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
> https://submit.symantec.com/websubmit/retail.cgi
>
> The attachment extension would seem to indicate that it might be some sort
> of PHISHING exploit however. You always forward me the attachment. I don't
> use a Windows based OS so I am immune from being infected with a VIRUS.
>
> --
> Carmel
>
> Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

0
Roady
1/22/2010 2:32:45 PM
"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> > I don't use a Windows based OS so I am immune from being infected with a
> > VIRUS.
> No you're not; it means you are immune for most Windows based viruses. Also
> note that phishing doesn't have to do anything with getting infected by a
> virus and is not restricted to any platform.

All files downloaded on my system are stored in a directory that is
'nosuid'. I also would never run my MUA as a privileged user so I cannot
simply, and stupidly, change the permissions on said file.

I never insinuated that a PHISHING e-mail would infect a system. However,
the link itself could lead to a malicious site. Again, I am protected from
that sort of threat also by the  fact that my web browser runs in a 'jail'
(FreeBSD).

Microsoft has a lot of cool ideas; security is not one of them.

--

I keep getting e-mails from "agentserver@ent.brassring.com" And these have an attachment called 13900_7324018_Attach.htm (845 B). I still haven't opened the attachments, and I keep deleting the e-mail when I get it, but then I get it again. Any ides what this is about? And if it might be a virus? I have Office Professional, and I use Outlook as my default e-mail, and have Vista Ultimate. Thanks in advance. Which mail account type are you using? If POP3, do you have Outlook configured to leave a copy on the server? If so, log on to your web based mai...